kumudakriya

Rāga related discussions
Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

One of my most loved song on the this ragam is the Dikshithar's Krithi

ArdhaNaareswaram.....the serenity of the raga, the lyrics and the meaning behind those lines will leave any one totally enthralled.

Could some one please post the arohanam/avarohanam of this raga together with other interesting info of other songs in this raga?

Of course, any downloadable material is most welcome.

Regards

mohan

Post by mohan »

Kumudakriya is a janya of the 51st Melakartha Kamavardhani (or what is commonly referred to as Pantuvarali)

S R1 G3 M2 D1 S - S N3 D1 M2 G3 R1 S

The absence of the Pa (and Ni in arohana) gives it a unique flavour! There are only four compositions in this raga according to Lakshman's list. Dikshitar's arddhanArIshvaraM is by far the most popular. I think the raga is adopted from Hindustani music.

From http://www.shaivam.org/ssdix1.htm :
arddhanArIshvaraM ArAdhayAmi satatam
Raga: kumudakriya / Tala: rUpakam

P: arddhanArIshvaraM ArAdhayAmi satatam atri bhRgu vasiSThAdi munibRnda vanditam shrI
A: arddhayAma alaHNkAra vishESaprabhAvam arddhanArIshvarI priya karam abhayakaram shivam
C: nAgEndra maNi bhUSitam nandituragArOhitam shrI guruguhapUjitam kumudakriyA rAganutam AgamAdi sannutam anantavEda ghOSitam amarEshAdisEvitam AraktavarNashObhitam

English
I offer my prayers to Lord Arddhanarishvara incessantly. He is surrounded by a host of eminent sages, such as Atri, Bhrigu, and Vasishta.

He has the glory of being exceptionally decorated during the time of Arddha Jama worship. He delights Arddhanarishvari. He is Shiva, offering refuge to his devotees.

He is adorned with the precious gem Nagendramani, and is mounted upon the sacred bull. He is worshipped by the prosperous Guruguha, and is extolled by the melody of Kumudakriya. He is praised by all the Agamas, and is proclaimed by all the Vedas. He is venerated by Indra and others, and his form shines with the red hue.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Mohan: One more has been added to the list. Now there are five.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sri Lakshman- Can you provide the list here please

meena

Post by meena »

Amudam shoriyum taye-? -Bangalore S.Mukund
Ardhanarishvaram aradhayami satatam atri brgu-Rupaka-Muttusvami Dikshitar
Ennudan ni eppozhudum irunde enakku innarul shei-Adi-S.Vembu
Illai ena naniyulladin mahamalellinala (tp)-Adi-Arunagirinathar
Kumudapriye-Chapu-Bangalore S.Mukund

ramanan

Post by ramanan »

mohan wrote:I think the raga is adopted from Hindustani music.
In my opinion, the Hindustani raga 'din-ki-pooriya' resembles kumudakriya. There is a discussion and a couple of renditions of the raga in this link:

http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit03042002/musicartst.asp

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

<<Illai ena naniyulladin mahamalellinala (tp)-Adi-Arunagirinathar<<

Tiruppugazhs can be sung in any ragam. They were not tuned by Arunagirinathar.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is nAgEndra maNi a gem, or does it refer to the king of the nAgA's who adorns SivA's neck like a garland, or alternately, his arms as an armulet (nAga kaNkaNa)?

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

AFAIK , nagendra mani is a gem which had revival properties, i.e it could bring a dead person alive. This is mentioned somewhere in the Mahabharata. It was in the custody of Uloopi- the naga queen of Arjuna and she used it to bring BrabhuvAhan- a son of Arjuna by ChitrAngadA - back alive.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

srinidhi wrote:It was in the custody of Uloopi- the naga queen of Arjuna and she used it to bring BrabhuvAhan- a son of Arjuna by ChitrAngadA - back alive.
babhruvAhana killed arjuna in the battle. ulUpi brought arjuna back to life using the maNi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ah - thanks!

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Yes Shrikaanth, You are right. My memory slipped a bit.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Interesting note on Nagendra mani....I have been learning to play Dikshithar's krithi on this raga. By error, on one occassion, I touched the Panchamam as I was coming down on the scale ( instead of playing D1 M2, I played D1 P M2). Normally, while on a particular raga, playing any anya swara will sound jarring to the ears , but this time around, the effect was not, allowing for lack of expression, that awful....I have observed MSG Sir playing like that on certain specific ragas. But such venture, by him, is normally for a micro second and the effect is generally more than pleasing. My question is, touching Panchamam in this raga allowed...in terms of grammer ? Appreciate your input...Thanks