ABHOGI

Rāga related discussions
avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Nowadays this raaga is rarely heard in the concerts.I once listened to "sabhapathikku.."by KVN. But I heard that MDR brilliantly sung "manasunilpa"in a concert held at Delhi in 1974 [perhaps during Padmashri award felicitation].GNB's and MMI's manasunilpa are nice one.
It is my favorite raga.I would be grateful if some one finds and upload this concert of MDR,for which I am wainting since many years.
avi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here is a rare Ra Ra Ravikula by Somu

http://rapidshare.de/files/25113511/Ra_ ... u.MP3.html

and here is the concluding part of a great 52 minute rendering of abhogi by nikhil bannerji in a concert.just alap and jhor

we catch the action in the 42nd minute here.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25112165/Nik ... 2.MP3.html

if you like it , i will put the first part too.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let us have it!
The desserts taste good only with the main course ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

cml
the main course is here

http://rapidshare.de/files/25160606/Nik ... 1.MP3.html

One of the best abhogis I have listened to was in a concert by Vasanth Kanakapur on the Harmonium at a madhwa sangha recital in my hometown.

I had known him as a neighbouring lad , walking absent mindedly , humming to himself , with unkempt hair and strange attire.
The small town never took kindly to such lads who did not pass through the drill of schools -employment-marriage-kids--
.But then came a great moment for him .Laxmisankar was to perform in Belgaum and the scheduled harmonium artist fell sick.Kanakapur was asked to play for half an hour before Laxmisankar , and she was immensely impressed.
He went on to accompany her and then settled down to a nice job at AIR Dharwar.
It was duriing that period That I attended his late night concert .The abhogi he played that night was mesmerising.
For all its faults from a CM perspective , there is something in Abhogi that sounds very well on a Harmoinum.I cant explain it though

These days he is a much sought after accompanist and tunesmith for bangalore based albums , but that abhogi will always remain fresh in my memory.

Here is another soulful abhogi by jagdishprasad from a national program before i start shopping for Cm tracks.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25162075/Jag ... R.mp3.html
MSG's AIR Rtp in Abhogi comes to mind immediately.and ofcourse bmks abhogi valaji rtp.
will put it up later.(allowing for some time to make sure badri has not done it) 8)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Giving below the alapana of abhogi which made me to enjoy this raga from every other vidwan!

http://rapidshare.de/files/25190746/41_ ... i.mp3.html

I could not resist posting the excellent rendition of the Krithi Manasunilpa woven with wonderful sangathis, followed by inimitable swara prastharas.
(the finale ending with a spontaneous dha sa ri ga..ma dha sa ri..ga ma dha sa..ri..ga ma dha manasunilpa.... followed by thunderous applause)

http://rapidshare.de/files/25192515/42_ ... a.mp3.html

The melody master is accompanied by chowdia, palani and kothandarama iyer.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks coolkarni
Now the plate is complete. The slow first part of nikhil is the fitting prelude to the finish with the flourish!

The recording is very good. In spite of my below average sound system the resoanance is filling my whole house. This is what our ancients used to call as 'naada kaTTu'. It is not in the building but is in the player, now I realize.

Vishnu

Thanks for those masterpieces!

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Esteemed Kulkarniji,
Here is the Great Abhoghi from MDR.It was shared by kasthurirangan, a great musiclover.This was rendered at karnataka sangeetha sabha" in 1974,during his Padmashri felicitation function.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/859144/04-Ma ... i.mp3.html

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Thanks Avichinnu. I had been on the lookout for that particular recording. I lost it after my hard disk decided it's time was over in this world.

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

Hi all music lovers, specially abhogi ardent lovers

nAnum inda jyotiyil kalakkindrEn.

A kriti by GNB ' Thamasamika thALanu tApatraya shamani ambaa' set to Roopka thALa in Abhogi is quintessence of this raag, normally sung in medium pace.

GNB's total knowledge about the raag is displayed in this small kriti. This is one of the few kritis where GNB has not made chitta swaras.

Five notes in both aarOhaNa avarOhaNa usages, that too without panchamam, are to be dealt properly.

This song is a favourite one for me.
Last edited by V_ANNASAMY on 19 Aug 2006, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Does anyone here know who is the composer of the Abhogi kriti "Nee cheppudu daya".
I have a recording of Manakkal Rangarajan where he sings this. Couldn't find any helpful mudra that would indicate the composer.

Thanks.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

is it nikepudu daya? then it is Mysore Sadasiva Rao's composition

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The composer is Mysore Sadashiva Rao. The mudra occurs in the last line caraNa:
vimala hrdaya O sadAshivanuta ...

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

jayaram wrote:Does anyone here know who is the composer of the Abhogi kriti "Nee cheppudu daya".
I have a recording of Manakkal Rangarajan where he sings this. Couldn't find any helpful mudra that would indicate the composer.

Thanks.
Please ignore my above request!
Just found that this (Nee Kepudu Dayavatsano) is a composition of Mysore Sadasivarayaru.

I would be interested in learning more about this composer.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There is a writeup here:
http://www.karnatik.com/co1109.shtml

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

I was shocked to learn recently that the name is actually abhOgi, and not AbhOgi!

Ashwin

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Ashwin, where did you learn that?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Lakshman wrote:There is a writeup here:
http://www.karnatik.com/co1109.shtml
Thanks you, Lakshman & Radhakrishnan. Silly of me, didn't make the connection between Rayar and Rao!

Apparently many of his compositions have been lost for want of preservation. (House fire consumed much of his mansucripts.) Only about 10-20 kritis are in currency.

arunk

Post by arunk »

from what i could check, the name is indeed AbhOgi and not abhOgi in historical references (e.g. sangrahacUDAmaNi).

Arun

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

arunk wrote:from what i could check, the name is indeed AbhOgi and not abhOgi in historical references (e.g. sangrahacUDAmaNi).
Give some references arun(I mean quote the SlOkas). In sandhi a+a or a + A will both be AbhOgi. So if you are basing your statement on that, you dont have a strong case:)

Also, abhOgi is the name used in karnataka. AbhOgi I have herard used in TN. I dont know whetehr both are used in Andhra or any one in preference over the other.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

drshrikaanth wrote:Also, abhOgi is the name used in karnataka. AbhOgi I have herard used in TN. I dont know whetehr both are used in Andhra or any one in preference over the other.
Actually, I got this very interesting bit of information from SRJ Mama, who said that it would be only abhOgi to telugu-speaking folks, and suggested that AbhOgi has a sort of ridiculous meaning (which I am trying very hard to recollect now) - something to do with extravagance and trying to possess things...

Ashwin

arunk

Post by arunk »

drs,
Give some references arun(I mean quote the SlOkas). In sandhi a+a or a + A will both be AbhOgi. So if you are basing your statement on that, you dont have a strong case:)
Sorry. The reference I have (rAgalakshaNasangraha - collection of raga descriptions from Treatises on Music from the Mela period with translation and notes, Hema Ramanathan, i highly recommend it) has the slokas printed in Sanskrit and I cannot read. I did guess that the slOka (from what little i can make out of the sanskrit script) that slOka begins with AbhOgi. I also confirmed this with someone who can read. The slOka begins as AbhOginAma ...

I can try to scan it and post it, but this is a very fat book (no exaggeration here (:-)) and i am not sure how easy it is to scan. I will try to do so if you want. The section title (which is raga name based) is: AbhOgi/Suddha-AbhOgi. The references to AbhOgi are sangraCUDAmaNi, sangItasArasangrahamu by tiruVEnKaTajkavi (telugu, again the slOka is printed in telugu which i cannot read), rAgalakshaNa (sanskrit, author unknown)

The lone reference to Suddha-AbhOgi is in mahAbharataCUDAmaNi (tamil 18th-19th century, author unknown): it actually uses suddhavabOgi: suddhavabOgiyArOhaNam pa-ni ilai...... The "va" here is like a sandhi rule in tamizh i think (i ought to know but ...)

I think I understand your point about sandhi rules, but i am guessing Hema Ramanathan would have caught it if it is so in any of these references. For each section on a raga, she does provide variations of names as they occur as part of the title.
Also, abhOgi is the name used in karnataka.
I did know that. In fact the first time I heard it was through a couple of musicians from karnataka.

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:drs,

I can try to scan it and post it, but this is a very fat book (no exaggeration here (:-)) and i am not sure how easy it is to scan. I will try to do so if you want. The section title (which is raga name based) is: AbhOgi/Suddha-AbhOgi. The references to AbhOgi are sangraCUDAmaNi, sangItasArasangrahamu by tiruVEnKaTajkavi (telugu, again the slOka is printed in telugu which i cannot read), rAgalakshaNa (sanskrit, author unknown)

Arun
Hey! I should be having that book, and I can read samskita :lol: Will check.

But, as DRS mentioned, I knew in only as abhOgi, till I went to Madras, where the AIR announcers seemed to call the rAga as AbOgi.

We have rAga mudre in MD's Srilakshmi varAham, (mangaLAlayAbhOginutapadam), but
since this is embedded in a savarNadIrgha sandhi, we cant tell whether it is abhOgi or AbhOgi.

-Ramakriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ashwin wrote:Actually, I got this very interesting bit of information from SRJ Mama, who said that it would be only abhOgi to telugu-speaking folks, and suggested that AbhOgi has a sort of ridiculous meaning (which I am trying very hard to recollect now) - something to do with extravagance and trying to possess things...
Hmm. Trying to work it out. Perhaps he was hinting to something similar to ajIva and AjIva. abhOgi means "one without bhOga/worldy pursuita". AbhOgi will mean "One immersed in bhOga/worldly pursuits :lol:

arunk

Post by arunk »

(from my earlier post)
The lone reference to Suddha-AbhOgi is in mahAbharataCUDAmaNi (tamil 18th-19th century, author unknown): it actually uses suddhavabOgi: suddhavabOgiyArOhaNam pa-ni ilai...... The "va" here is like a sandhi rule in tamizh i think (i ought to know but ...)
Sorry critical mistake. The reference is actually suddhavAbhOgi as in suddhavAbOgiyArOhaNam pa-ni ilai.
We have rAga mudre in MD's Srilakshmi varAham, (mangaLAlayAbhOginutapadam), but
since this is embedded in a savarNadIrgha sandhi, we cant tell whether it is abhOgi or AbhOgi.
Besides according to Hema Ramanathan, neither mudduvEnkaTamakhin nor SSP refer to AbhOghi (or abhOgi), so dont know if it can corroborate a possibily earlier name.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 25 Sep 2006, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ramakriya wrote:Hey! I should be having that book, and I can read samskita :lol: Will check.

-Ramakriya
Arun,

You were correct in the sangraha chUDAmaNi reference. The shloka in dEvanAgari indeed spells the name as AbhOgi.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:Besides according to Hema Ramanathan, neither mudduvEnkaTamakhin nor SSP refer to AbhOghi (or abhOgi), so dont know if it can corroborate a possibily earlier name.

Arun
That's why some scholars consider srIlakshmivarAham as a disputed kriti.

-Ramakriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

jayaram wrote:Does anyone here know who is the composer of the Abhogi kriti "Nee cheppudu daya".---
A recording of nIkepuDu iby vairamangalam Lakshminarayan is available on sangeethapriya

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/42.V ... -6-8-2006/

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Shrikanth - thank you so much! Vairamangalam is one of my favorite singers, so this is a double treat.

kartik

Post by kartik »

Here is a A(a)bhogi by SRJ-a composition of the genius
at http://www.geocities.com/harikesa3/WebPages/abhogi.ra.
Does he say Abhogi or abhogi in the beginning :-( ?

meena

Post by meena »

deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Reading thru this article on Gangubai Hangal brought shivers up my spine...the lady is 95 and still singing with verve!

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 170300.htm

By the way, is the Hindusthani version of Abhogi any different from the Carnatic one?
Last edited by jayaram on 05 Oct 2006, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

By the way, is the Hindusthani version of Abhogi any different from the Carnatic one?

Very similar - It is also called abhOgi kAnaDa - since it is considered a prakAra of kAnaDa;
The prayOga gmrs is employed often to establish the kAnaDa ang;

Even in karnATaka sangIta, gmrs is a very valid sanchara.

More about abhOgi kAnada on this page in sawf:

http://www.sawf.org/Newedit/edit12112000/musicarts3.asp
Last edited by ramakriya on 05 Oct 2006, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

jayaram wrote:Reading thru this article on Gangubai Hangal brought shivers up my spine...the lady is 95 and still singing with verve!
Do we have a separate thread for Gangubai Hangal ? Can anyone post a few gems of her ? (I know, I know, Moderators you can move this request to teh appropriate thread) :)

SR

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You can start a thread on Gangubai Hangal in the Hindustani Music section

arasi

Post by arasi »

Don't we already have this GH's concert posted elsewhere in HM section?

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

I have started a thread in HM Section for GH. I did find one link but there is no mention of whose it is .. or proly I missed it !

SR

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Apparently Dikshitar has just one kriti in this ragam: Sree Lakshmi Varaham
Is there any rendition of this song available?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

IIRC, there is a recording of MS Subbulakshmi and Semmangudi ( A house concert that was re-mastered with violin support etc decades later) - titled Golden Unison (or something like it :)) in which they have sung srI lakshmI varAham

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 30 Dec 2006, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

That's divine unison!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

L-ji, thanks very much. The MSS-Semm one is great. Btw, who is Shanta Krishnaswamy?

ars

Post by ars »

Can anyone indicate who has composed this krithi "Mamayil Vahana" in Abhogi which is sung by Balamuralikrishna? Or is it his own composition?

meena

Post by meena »

ars

I checked BMK comp. list, the abhogi is not listed.

deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

ars

Post by ars »

Meena
Yes, i did hear BMK's rendition but could not find out whose
composition it was.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To : Avichinnu/Shripathi_g: May I request anyone of you to upload the Manasunilpa by MDR sung in 1974 in Delhi, please?. God bless you.

Regards

P. G. Aiyar

meena

Post by meena »

pgaiyer

Would like to know why ur interested in this kriti/raga??

check sree mdr thread Kji has u/l the kriti
AND
hope to see u share and discuss ur thoughts on the raga Abhogi!!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Last year the Malladi Brothers sang AbhOgi very beautifully at a concert in Mumbai. Lots of vOlETi-esque piDis in the AlApanA preceding manasu nilpa. They set the electronic tambura as well as the panCama string in the tambura to the madhyamam which was a nice touch and created a lovely atmosphere...

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

Bhogi is Adi sEsha. Abhogi will make it since the time of Adi sEsha. abhogi will make it a negation. Even if it is not AdisEsha and just a bhogi, who enjoys himself, an abhogi has no place in music, which is a realm of enjoyment. It can not be anything but Abhogi.
Mind you, I am noscholar. I may be wrong!!

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

4-4-7

To : Ms.Meena: Thanks. Abhogi is a rakthi melody. In fact this raga is slowly disappearing from the concert stage. I fail to understand why the artistes of today are unwilling to take this raga for delineation. Even KVN shied from this raga. As MDR's presentation was original I wished to listen. The thread you have mentioned has another version probably from a B'lore concert. I still request for the 1974 concert of MDR in New Delhi. God bless you.

Regards

P. G. Aiyar

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear brother-member pgaiyar

It appears you have some very excellent collections of CM as a discriminating Rasika/collector. Let us start with Abhogi which is a great raga and I agree with you completely. Could you share with us some of your own excellent Abhogi collections (noncommercial of course) before moving on to specifics? God bless you too!