bEgadA

Rāga related discussions
Ahiri

Post by Ahiri »

There is one recording of Mali Sir's where he plays an alapana with Ma
where Da Maaaa Ga Ri Sa is used so beautifully the
Ma seems to glide in gracefully making it sound surreal.
We used to rewind the bit and listen to it
many times over for that pideee.

An enjoyable RTP of his which is set to
Misra Jathi Jumpa Talam (3 gathi)
flows thus :

(L1)||SNDPS,
tha ki ta thakita
NSGRG,
tha ki ta thakita
MPDPS,
tha ki ta thakita
P,DPPS,
P,DPPR,
S ,,,,,(L7)
(O1)RN,DPM
(O2)DM,GRS||

I am not sure if i have understood it right .
Please correct me if i have it wrong.

Sri Tyagaraja's krithi Samiki Sari cheppajala velpula set to Rupakam is another treasure.
Last edited by Ahiri on 30 May 2007, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

There is also a kriti on lakshmi in this rAga by sadAShiva rAu: "sAgara kanyakA." Any renditions?

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Mr.Jayaram Sir,
I have listened to recorded version of the famous Varnam Intacaalamu by the great Veena Dhanammal, where she seems to deploy slight tinge of Kaakalinishadam at "Emaa ..ni..e..e..". This recording I heard at Mr.Akondi Rajarao of Pithapuram(East Godavari Dist).during late 50's
Mr.Raja rao was a close neighbour of Sri Nedunoori garu
Ramaraj

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ramaraj sir, thank you for that anecdote. I feel jealous of those who were lucky to have spent time with the maestros of yesterday.

Speaking about the Begada madhyamam, the way Shri MDR handles the Ma in the navarAga varnam is just lovely. It's sheer ecstasy to watch the video of him render this varnam!

Ahiri - do you have the Mali audio clip available for u/l?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Jayaram: That RTP has been released commercially by AVM. It looks to be this release (basing it on the ragams in the RTP ). It is quite a lovely, engaging and uniquely structured Pallavi.

http://www.celextel.com/maliflutetrmaha ... -1646.html

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

jayaram wrote:R
Speaking about the Begada madhyamam, the way Shri MDR handles the Ma in the navarAga varnam is just lovely. It's sheer ecstasy to watch the video of him render this varnam!
Totally agree!! The entire video is awesome and gives an insight into how he'd have sung his songs. The way he uses his hands to describe the music!! Aha!! Especially at the point where he sings Ma Ma (..Ga Ri Sa Sa). It's as if he's describing the exact position of the note.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear JAYARAM ji, and Sripathi_G, aHIRI, k.MRASIKA, Vasanthakokilam and others,
may I request u to kindly view and listen to one of my creations in the raaga BEGADA to have an idea as to how I have handled the salient and exclusive features pertaining to this great Raaga.. This is available in www.karnatik.com/c3491shtml Please do post your views in this forum
RAMARAJ
Last edited by vageyakara on 02 Jun 2007, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo CM Devotees,
I wish to detail the SALIENT features of my Kriti:-

sadguru nAthA manam irangaadaa mAl marugA singAara vElmuruga
( in praise of Lord Muruga.)
The starting line itself Swar-Aksharam deployed in SaGaRi Ga
again at mAlmaruga the Exclusive Madyamam has been deployed as
SwarAksh.
again at "Bhaktar manam (magizhum)=Ma Ga Ri Sa-Sw.Aksh.
again at anbEkaDavul (God is Love)=the Raga mudhra BEGADA has been DEPLOYED
rAMARAJ
Last edited by vageyakara on 02 Jun 2007, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oie1bh

I tend to associate Begada a great deal with Doreswami Iyengar and Voleti.
Here is one from a Dor Iyengar concert-an RTP- from a Hubli concert in 1986.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Jayaram,
Just now happened to see your appreciation about Begada as usual. The accompanists are
Coimbatore Dakshinamurthy on the violin and Madras Kannan on the Mridangam and Umayalapuram Narayanaswamy on the Ghatam.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ramaraj-sir,
as usual your Begada kriti is great! Btw, the correct url link is: http://www.karnatik.com/c3491.shtml (suggest you 'cut and paste' the links instead of writing them out here. And pls don't put a full-stop at the end of the sentence or it will get included as the link address.)

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo JRji, Thank for your complements.and feed back.Please listen to other kritis too, so that u will have an idea as to how I have handled S.warakshara aspects with reference different ragaas.
Ramaraj

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Lovely exposition on Subbaraya Sastri's masterpiece 'Sankari neeve' by Shri Neyveli :
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KTzrCl-eGvw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=__pz0ozNjXk

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

Can anyone tell me if Sundari nannindarilo (hope I got that right) in Begada is a Patnam composition? I heard BV Raman and BV Lakshmanan sing it many years ago but have not heard it since. Any links to recordings would be nice.

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Isn't it one of the Tiruvottriyoor pancharatna kritis of Tyagaraja?

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

I think you are right.

gvauma

Post by gvauma »

Can you please share the lyrics for this song "yarukkum adangadha" with me? I couldn't find it elsewhere on this site....

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Arukkum aDangAda. rAgA: bEgaDa. Adi tALA. Composer: Muttiah Bhagavatar.

P: Arukkum aDangAda nIli ponnambalattADum kALi
A: pAruL parabhrammattai aDakkiya
shAyaipaDum vEdangaLAlum ariyAda mAyai
C: paramAnandanaip-pAdiyAi mATrinAL parandAman
mukhamadil pal vilangETrinAL shiramadaru paDavE vinai
tanait-tUTrinAL harikEshanagar vAzhum emmaik-kAppATrinAL

narayan

Post by narayan »

Begada is always welcome, even through this thread started years ago! What I wanted to say was that quite an amazing number of Tyagaraja songs start with the identical G,MPDP or MGMGD,P. Too many to just be a coincidence. Nadopasana, Tanavari, Gattiganu, Samiki sari, Neeverakula. Any others?

narayan

Post by narayan »

Sorry, want to add Bhaktuni charitra to my earlier post above. Would like any info on Patnam or other songs.

gvauma

Post by gvauma »

Thanks a lot for sharing the lyrics....
regards
Uma

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

narayan wrote:Would like any info on Patnam or other songs.

Patnam's Ayyar's iconic varnam 'MarachItlunde' was all he taught his student Vasu (Sangeeta kalAnidhi Mysore Vasudevacharya) in the raga he was famous for..
Vasudevacharya in his book 'With masters of music' says

" He then taught me his varna Marachitlundide. I learnt it by heart in three days. Yet for about three months thereafter he didn't take up any new lesson....
......After some days he made me sing one avarta of the varna a day and explained to me the raga sanchara inherent in that particular avarta and asked me to do alapana within the swara structure of that avarta.
At the end of the course he said : " Vasu,I don't have to teach you begade separately.I have revealed the raga in all its minute details.You casn amplify it now according to your own ability."

Vasudevacharya in his preface to his compilation of Mysore sadAshiva rao's songs for the academy, states that SadAshiva rAya conferred the prefix of Begade to Patnam Subrahmanya Ayyar, impressed by his uncommon felicity in handling the raga..

Besides this varna, which is still occasionaly sung, Patnam ayyar has two masterpieces, the live and kicking AbhimAnamennaDu galgu and the lovely Manasuna nera which is on a ventilator and is gasping for resuscitation..
There is supposed to be another piece, NAyeDa neekabhimAnamu lEda.. which could call out is own pallavi as a cri de coeur towards musicians for the neglect it has suffered..

Manasa vachasa shirasanisham is VasudEvacharya's masterpiece in his master's rAga.. It is in composed in Sanskrit and the Raga bhava and Sahitya coalesce perfectly in this song on Narasimha..

Shri raghukula jaladhi sucharitra shrita is Sadashiva rau's offering. He also has a charmingly sweet krti on lakSmi - SAgarakanyaka which abounds in rAga bhava..

Amba alankari, Bale paripalisau and Chaya devi priya tanayam are the sumptuous pieces muttaiah bhagavatar whipped up. The former two on mahishasuramardini, and the latter in praise of Shani..There should be a recording of bale in his own voice.. Arukkum adangada nIli in praise of mavur kaLi has already been discussed..

Chalu lera nee neSTamu isn't in vogue so much as Idi niku mariyadaga both of which are part of the Javali suite in begaDa. I suspect Rama Ravi knows both..

Kamakshi nato vada and another doubtful song on SaNmukha at Vaidiswaran koil are attributed to
ShAma shastri, besides the varnam DayAnidhe.. the first and last are really good, with all the unusual prayogas of Begada..

There is an interesting incident surrounding the tamizh padam - Yarukkagilum bhayama..

When balasaraswati's name came up for sangeetakalanidhi, the Veena maestro Balachander protested, saying she was a dancer, and dance wasn't sangeeta..

Counter-arguments were offered, from the simple fact that everyone in that family could sing exceptionally well,(All of them, T.Viswanathan, ranganathan,Sankaran and of course Balasaraswati had lovely, high pitched clear-as-a-bell voices) to the hoary dictum of Bharata muni - GItam vAdyam tathA nrtyam Etat sangItam-ucyatE; meaning that sangeeta is the combination of oral melody, instrumental music and dance/dramatic expression..

BAlasaraswati was given the Kalanidhi, and was slotted for a performance on the day of her acceptance. the performance was attended, by Balachander and he sat in the first row..
BAlasaraswati who was aware of the objection raised, and who probably couldn't care less for the kalAnidhi or any such honorifics; noted him and began with the padam Yarukkagilum bhayama, Summa sollatum.. and she sang this one herself as she did the Abhinaya.. The Veena maestro retired, as they say in deep dudgeon, muttering 'I am not afraid of anybody'..!
Last edited by keerthi on 02 May 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Swati Tirunal's "kalyaami raghuraamam" has been a favourite with the GNB school (the tune for the opening line is very similar to that of idi neeku mariyaadaga yera naasami); Ramaswami Sivan's "kadaikaNi" evokes a mood of prayer when sung by KVN; The Alathur Brothers popularized "lambodara sodara navamani hara", an RTP in Begada; DKJ and MLV were among the earliest to present Spencer R. Venugopal's "vaa muruga" in their concerts; MLV made Andal's "elle ilangkiliye" a super hit..

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Veena Raja Rao has a composition in bEgaDe rAga composed on June 21st, 1942.

It is in kannaDa language with the pallavi line "anugAlavu nInE kAyabEkO kRShNa"

I can share the swara (in kannaDa script) and sAhitya (kannDa or English script), if there is any interest.

Sreeni Rajarao

narayan

Post by narayan »

Apologies for following up on my own post, but Vallabha nayaka, Anudinamunu and Chidambaram in Begada are also of the G,MPDP flavour, give or take a flourish. So is Yarukkagilum bhayama? Don't recall the pallavi line of the other Begada padam. The song that keerthi mentions is on a ventilator, Manasuna nera, how does it go?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Yarukkagilum goes pPm mggM P P dpS .. Earlier posts in this thread list Yela padare which is the Kshetrayya padam.. It is very beautiful..

Ma-na-su-na ne-ra goes M-G-P-M D-P in one Avartam of rUpakam..

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

Here is nI pada pankajamula by the Toronto Brothers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVxVsMhwk8

vasanthakokilam

Re: bEgadA

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Encountered these two great links while looking up some info on Begada:

Sanjay: http://sanjaysub.blogspot.com/2009/01/k ... ramam.html

CAC Newsletter: http://www.carnatica.net/newsletter/beg ... letter.htm

CRama

Post by CRama »

Interestingly there are two songs starting with the same words in Begada- Kadikann vaithennai aalamma. IIRC one is by Ramaswami Sivan and another by Mayuram Viswanatha Sastri.

satyabalu

Re:Begada

Post by satyabalu »

davalangi wrote:Here is nI pada pankajamula by the Toronto Brothers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVxVsMhwk8
In some schools (ALB to be specific) the chittai swaram is followed by sahithya"Ninnu mana suna ney nenu dina munu gana /ma nadana mani ninu koni yadithi// Thana una kanu koni nenaru thonu nan/u brovu panna kendra sannu thanga"// (Words may need correction).(Nee padapankajamula)

keerthi

Re:Begada

Post by keerthi »

satyabalu wrote: In some schools (ALB to be specific) the chittai swaram is followed by sahithya"Ninnu mana suna ney nenu dina munu gana /ma nadana mani ninu koni yadithi// Thana una kanu koni nenaru thonu nan/u brovu panna kendra sannu thanga"// (Words may need correction).(Nee padapankajamula)
satyabAlu,

I have seen this chiTTaswaram, along with the sAhityam, in the tillaistAnam publications. I haven't had an opportunity to hear the Alathur pADam of this song. The other pATAntara-s that I've heard - muktamma, Sandhyavandanam, SRJ, tiruppAmburam SwAminAtha piLLai and the rAllapalli.A.Sarma pATham, most of which sing all the caraNams, do not sing the C.Swaram.

This sAhityam is also a bit suspect, since it used the non-classical term 'sannutAnga' which has emerged only in the paTnam - pUchi era of composition. tyAgarAja doesn't seem to have used this word in his compositions. Also the sAhitya is overall not up to the mark.

It is however a little-heard kIrtanam, with beautiful sangatis, and different-tuned caranams that needs to be sung more often.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

"Also the sAhitya is overall not up to the mark."

It is however a little-heard kIrtanam, with beautiful sangatis, and different-tuned caranams that needs to be sung more often."
"javaranuthajajavaravitav javarajasritha Thiagaraja
javaraja rudravanisewara pavaneyamunijivanaanujamu" Nee...(words may need correction).Don't you think this charanam is good in sahithya keerthi!" The other part that this is attributed to Thiagaraja or not I have no clues though you have a point "sannuthanga".

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

satyabAlu, let me rush to clarify that I am not calling nI padapankaja of inferior quality. On the contrary it is one of the bard's finest pieces, from the dhatu-mAtu perspectives. I can see that my previous post is ambiguous.

I meant that the chiTTaswaram sAhityam alone is not up to the mark and is suspect.

p.s -

It is jyA-vara-nuta! jyAjA-vara! bidau-|-jA+avaraja! shrita-tyAgarAja!
jya-vara+aja-rudra+avanI-sura-bhAvanIya! muni-jIvana anisamu|| nI padapankaja

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

keerthi wrote:satyabAlu, let me rush to clarify that I am not calling nI padapankaja of inferior quality. On the contrary it is one of the bard's finest pieces, from the dhatu-mAtu perspectives. I can see that my previous post is ambiguous.

I meant that the chiTTaswaram sAhityam alone is not up to the mark and is suspect.

p.s -

It is jyA-vara-nuta! jyAjA-vara! bidau-|-jA+avaraja! shrita-tyAgarAja!
jya-vara+aja-rudra+avanI-sura-bhAvanIya! muni-jIvana anisamu|| nI padapankaja
I now stand clarified on your point &corrected on the words in last charanam.I remember one lean visually challenged lady presenting this no in Sethupathi HS Madurai in 1960-64.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ramnad Krishnan singing abhimAnamennadu galgu rAmA, a composition of Patnam Subramania Iyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRgbmHmr9H0

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ganesh Kumaresh are very fond of Begada and play it often. Here is an interesting Begada:
https://youtu.be/glAt0-0ldfI

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A prime MLV singing neevErA kula dhanamu of Thyagarja - with AlApanA and swarAs :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDpZ3S2gKj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlpo-K2cgc - a strange gap in the middle of the recording

and while we are at it, here's her guru singing it as only he can : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA7QBpcCgzA

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

chidambaram hara harA endroru daram of Gopalakrishna Bharati by GNB : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo90e4Ep1qU

And that reply from LGJ.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

CAC Newsletter on bEgaDa along with rendition recordings. http://carnatica.in/newsletter/begadanewsletter.htm

Jayanthi1956

Post by Jayanthi1956 »

Vallabhaa naayagasya
I heard Doh singing.
Superb BEGADA.
I love it.

Jayanthi1956

Post by Jayanthi1956 »

It should be DKJ singing.
Spell check played on my typing.
Sorry.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

looking for identity of this ragam
i heard the phrase of the avarohanam is the first key identifier
's n,, d p m,, g r s
any other important phrases ?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Nandanare undan perumaiyay indru kanden is a beautiful piece by Gopalakrishna Bharathi sung by Nithyashree

shankarank

Re: bEgaDA

Post by shankarank »

This is a harikAmbodhi janya bEgaDa which Sri Ravikiran always maintained to be as such. https://youtu.be/jhA0Uh5wpX0?t=2205. As TiruvArur Girish negotiates the upper reaches one can get a flavor of navarasa-kannada in it.