what are the characterestics of a good mridangam accompanist

Tālam & Layam related topics
VK RAMAN

Re: what are the characterestics of a good mridangam accompa

Post by VK RAMAN »

mridanghamkid: You have beautifully explained what is light and that makes me ponder how each one of us interpret ragams, kritis, etc. Keep up your learning process and continue your creative way of relating to carnatic musics different aspects.

Nick H

Re: what are the characterestics of a good mridangam accompa

Post by Nick H »

mridangamkid wrote: I think I understand what you are saying, and I agree, but perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous post. What I am talking about isn't simply where the mridangist ends. I agree, usually the mridangist ends when the main singer finishes the song (the singer will carry out the note and end on cue with the mridangist), however what I am talking about is more, how long it takes the mridangist to get to that spot. It's a little tough to explain via writing, I'm unable to right now but I"ll try and provide specific examples as to what I mean later to night. It very well could be the style of the singer that leads to a more "quick" ending but I"ll see if I can dig up some examples tonight.

OK, I understand what you mean: you have explained clearly :)

I'll try to watch out for it. Generally, I go by the rule that if something fits in, then it was a right and appropriate thing to do. It might make it less noticeable. Like good driving doesn't stand out on the roads! This may include an ending of the kind that you describe, or it may not. It depends on the moment.

That's just an off-the-cuff response: I'll come back to it after a few more concerts if I feel I can add, or change, anything in it.