Easy Muktayis-their utilisation in Svarakalpana-by msakella

Tālam & Layam related topics
msakella

Re: Easy Muktayis-their utilisation in Svarakalpana-by msake

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, kartike, You need not immedialy approach any laya Vidwan. Please go through the contents of the 287th post (http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... &start=275) &
334th post (http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... &start=325) of the main thread AMS Easy Methods-2007 - Teaching & Learning Methods by A.M.Sharma-1. Later, practice them very regularly and serially for one hour in the morning and another hour in the evening tallying with the respective videos furnished in youtube. After one week of practice contact to my ID ‘msakella2002’ on Skype and after testing your rhythmical abilities I shall guide you properly. amsharma

Kartike

Re: Easy Muktayis-their utilisation in Svarakalpana-by msake

Post by Kartike »

Thank you, sir, I will certainly go through this and get in touch with you for a test ... very grateful to you for your help !

vvssaraswathi

Re: Easy Muktayis-their utilisation in Svarakalpana-by msakella

Post by vvssaraswathi »

Dear all members of rasikas
I found this post to be interesting and benefiting children, hence re initiating it.

Sri AMS garu has explained these muktayis so efficiently and I personally visualized & surprised to see small kids (under 12 years) singing these very efficiently within 1-2 years of their entrance into music. The symbolised notations are very easy to remember and follow. This enables children to get hold / ease on swarakalpana at early stages after entering into music.

For any kid entering into music, the Laya exercises what he has given (as videos in you tube) are definitely very useful to establish a strong base in Laya. Once the Laya exercises are completed, the kid can start singing Saralis and alakaras in 1 2 3 4 6 8 speed. By the time he enters into Geetas , the kid is able to efficiently sing swarakalpana before he stabilizes in Sruti, which will set upon regular practice.

Please see Dr Prasanna's post in "Swaeroes’ amazing talent in singing classical-music" - These are small kids who learnt these in 1 week in a work shop.
http://youtu.be/dya7e8q7QP4

Amazing !

Thanks to Sri AMS garu for his easy Muktayis and making children to understand this at a very tender age. The symbolised notations can be attached here as a photo, since the symbols cannnot be re produced, but I am not aware of technical difficulties here.

Saraswathi

vasudevand

Post by vasudevand »

You have talameter available where you can practise your sarali varisai and others in 3 kalams and it will get corrected when you put on the talameter and practise with it.

msakella

Post by msakella »

vasudevanand

Extremely sorry, I beg your pardon for the inordinate delay in responding to your post. In this regard I am compelled to bring out some facts even though many of our musicians, as usual, feel unhappy and uncomfortable with my views in this respect.

In general, all our musicians prefer to utilize the pitch-pipe only but not the Metronome even though these two things are invented and brought out by westerners to help the musicians. More over, none of our music-teachers prefer to train the kids, at the first instance, in different rhythmical exercises to enable them deal with both even and odd-gatis i.e., Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis, very strictly along with the Metronome. In our novel system of learning music we do all these things and all our students, without any exception, certainly become able to deal with all the intricate rhythms and intricate oscillations of notes even before they fulfill learning the Varnas. Most of our music-teachers generally feel that singing in 3 kalams itself is very great. Most of them cannot sing even Alankaras both in Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis leave alone singing both the Purvanga and Uttaranga of all the Varnas @ 4-6-8 notes per beat.

Unless our music-teachers properly realize that, at the first instance, the Laya i.e., vehicle must be kept in proper condition to enable the person drive it efficiently we all certainly loose the abundant talents of our kids. amsharma

MadhavRayaprolu

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

Does anyone have recordings of the korvais/muktayis that are discussed in this thread? Or otherwise recommend other simple-to-follow resources to make up korvais in popular talams and eduppus?

If you have any tips on what constitutes “good” korvais and not just technically correct korvais please also share.
Also any tips on how to “nicely” fit a korvai pattern into the taalam. In other words, one way to fit a korvai is to take pretty much any korvai pattern of any taalam out there, and fit it into any other taalam/eduppu combination by simply calculating which beat it should start on, and keep noodling around in the swarakalpana until we reach that beat and start the korvai. But I suspect there is more to the aesthetics of choosing the right korvai and fitting with the rest of the swaram.

Madhav

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, MadhavRayaprolu,

Extremely sorry, I beg your pardon for the inordinate delay in responding to your post. In this regard I am compelled to bring out some facts even though many of our musicians, as usual, feel unhappy and uncomfortable with my logical views in this respect.

In general, all our musicians prefer to utilize the pitch-pipe only but not the Metronome even though these two things are invented and brought out by westerners to help the musicians. But, unfortunately, none of our music-teachers prefer to train the kids, at the first instance, in different rhythmical exercises, very strictly, along with Metronome to enable them deal with both even and odd-gatis i.e., Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis. Unless our music-teachers properly realize that, at the first instance, the Laya i.e., vehicle must properly be stabilized to enable the person drive it efficiently we all certainly loose the abundant talents of our kids.

By any chance if you are used to very regularly practice along with Metronome and you are acquainted with both the Chaturashra and Triara-gatis you can go to the link “http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/ ... hods-2007/
http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... PerSecond/” and download the contents. There are two Addenda and in the Addendum-1 different kinds of Muktayis are furnished along with Jatis and Swaras in Kalpanaswara-1, 2 & 3 and all of them are furnished even in the CD which helps you a lot. In case of any doubt you are welcome to contact my mobile number 9908822992 at any time. amshrama

MadhavRayaprolu

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

Thanks msakella garu. I’ll go through the material you posted.

I agree using a metronome helps. I also think using a tabla machine or tabla app helps even better. I have always debated with whether putting thalam with hand helps or hurts our tala gnyanam. I think it does both. While it helps us to intellectually know where we are in the cycle, it can also be a crutch and prevent us from developing an intuition for the taalam. So many students and some professionals sing kalpana swarams without any feel for the thalam and relying entirely on their counts, and it shows up. Tabla machine forces us to develop this intuition I think. Alternatively, marking only one or two important beats of the cycle with the hand instead of every beat also helps build this intuition IMO. Do you ageee?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, MadhavRayaprolu,

I appreciate your logical views and agree with all of them.

But, basing upon my very long acquaintance with this rhythm right from my age of 3 as a Mridangist and my very regular and institutionalized experience of more than 60 years as a teacher having taught the aspirants right from the alphabets (for example in many institutions grown-up persons only are taught) I tell there is lot of difference in feeding a kid of tender age and a grown-up person. amsharma

SivaniVSPG24

Post by SivaniVSPG24 »

Thank you air for giving such wonderful information sir🙏