Accompanying artist starting an alapana in a vocal concert??

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
rajeshnat

Re: Accompanying artist starting an alapana in a vocal concert??

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote:At the outset I would like to reiterate that I am not an approver of TMK's present day concert formats.

When somebody goes to a vocal concert of Abhishek, he would like to hear the typical Abhishek's alapana and any violinist- however good - can not substitute the alapana of Abhishek.
First of all it is not TMK who did this first , there were few contemporary musicians who did say in 2003 or 2004 that I heard prior to TMK coming up with his own order juxtaposition.

I will add it is just not alapana where violinist start . At times the irritation has spread even to taanam where the vocalist takes the voice rest and gives the entire Taanam to violinist . That is also a letdown to me.

ramamantra

Re: Accompanying artist starting an alapana in a vocal conce

Post by ramamantra »

sureshvv wrote:In a recent concert recorded for Charsur, Abhishek Raghuraman let the violinist Mysore Srikanth start the kambodhi alapana, IIRC. Worked out nicely with less of a gap between the raga alap and krithi rendering for the main artiste.
Good for a change. A vocalist always has to lead, build the mood for the raga step by step. The violinist has it easy simply following the mood. So, for a change, let the vocalist have it easy.