Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
My post to cMLoVer would explain why I did not hear your 'Pauline' song. I am wondering whether the reason for the wise man to choose his pseudonym was because it includes the name of the nightingale (who inspires him to sing of her in all languages possible). Pleases me to point this out, since he still enjoys making (fun) poetry on the 'spring cuckoo episode'...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks CML so much for the Morning Hymn,
I had exactly the same tune in my mind when I suggested Bowli. You did change the words to fit with the tune.
And a great picture to go with it. I also painted one like that for my poetry!

I was away in BC and was delighted to hear your rendition on return.
keep them coming...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The next composition presented is in honor of Dr. Abdul Kalam, eleventh President of India.

SrI kalAmam kalayAmi (2005)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v682wj

kAmavardhanirAgE rUpakatAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

SrI kalAmam kalayAmi rAshtrapAlam A- |
SritajanamandAram dhIratamam AryalalAmam ||

anupallavi

SrIkaram atyadbhutavAntarikshayantrakAram |
SrEyOmayaguNayuktam upagrahapramOcakam ||

caraNam

rAgavarjitabrahmacAriNam pRthvyagnyAdibrahmAstrajanakam |
rAmabhaktam rAmESvarajAtam mahEndraprasthanivAsam ||
rAgadvEshaviyuktam varavINAvAdananipuNam nATaka- |
rAgakAvyapriyam yuvajanamAnasollAsakam naranAyakam ||

Translation

I reflect upon Kalam, who is the protector of the State,
Who is the support of those who seek refuge,
Who is the best of the wise, Who is the pinnacle of noblemen.

Who brings prosperity, Who is a wonderful aerospace engineer,
Who is endowed with the best qualities, Who is the launcher of satellites.

Who is a brahmachari devoid of desires, Who is the father of missiles such as Prithvi and Agni,
Who is a devotee of Rama, Who was born in Ramesvaram, Who resides in great Indraprastha,
Who is detached from passions and enmity, Who is adept in the auspicious vina,
Who is fond of nataka (drama), raga (music), and kavya (poetry),
Who exhilarates the minds of young people, Who is a leader of men.
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Dear MNS

I am sure you have found the song you are looking for. DRS could have composed in one of those rare Asampoorna Mela of MD. 1..
I have posted my kRti- gurukRpa illAde in kharaharapriya in the thread on my compositions

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255&start=1400

arasi

Post by arasi »

sangeet rasik,
Thanks for a delightful composition on a great man. With your translation, I could relish it even more. I won't stop humming ''sri kalAmam kalayAmi' at least for the next few days!
Bharathi sang of many heroes (laudable women too) to inspire us to try and emulate their ways... ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done SR!
Nice choice of epithets! You have coined appropriate words for the modern inventions. Is there in addition to p^RithvI and agni, a brahmAstra too in the Indian armoury?(Of course we don't want the Americans to know about it ;) ). kaLAM of course is an expert in the use of the sammOhanAstram ;)

Await the audio!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Arasi and CML,

Thanks! The recording will be uploaded soon.
Is there in addition to p^RithvI and agni, a brahmAstra too in the Indian armoury?(Of course we don't want the Americans to know about it ;) ).
Prithvi and Agni are the current publicly known "brahmastras" which carry "nukular" weapons. However, the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) developed by Kalam and colleagues could be converted to an ICBM. Some believe that Narasimha Rao tested the ICBM in the 1990s in the guise of a "failed PSLV launch".
kaLAM of course is an expert in the use of the sammOhanAstram ;)
Heh heh - indeed. Despite being a bachelor, President Kalam has no lack of female admirers, which confirms that his "brahmacharya" is of the genuine "kamavarjita" variety, not the other (e.g. "svayamsambhoga") varieties ! :cheesy:

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ha ha indeed!
In that case just change the second line of pallavi to
strIjanamandAram dhI ratamAtmArAmam|
and the first word of caraNam to 'kAmArtitabrahmacAriNam' ;)
'

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The recording of the kriti "SrI kalAmam" in kamavardhani, is now uploaded (please see relevant post on page 6).

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

very nice!
I hope Hon President gets to hear it!

Just note that
vAntarikSha would be vAnta (ejected) + antarikSha(atmoshphere) = vAntAntarikSha (by sandhi rules!

regards

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Sangeet Rasik:

Please post your composition to:
presidentofindia@rb.nic.in

Kaumaaram

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML, kaumaaram,

Thanks! I will look into getting the President to listen to it. ;)
Just note that
vAntarikSha would be vAnta (ejected) + antarikSha(atmoshphere) = vAntAntarikSha (by sandhi rules!
regards
"vAntAntariksha" would mean "ejected into atmosphere".
"vAntariksha" means "aerospace".

The "vigraha" (analysis) of "vAntariksha" is "va" (air) + "antariksha" (space) = "vAntariksha", i.e. "air-and-space" or "aerospace". This is taken as a samAhAra dvandva samAsa. See, e.g., Apte - first entry under "va" is "va = air".

This 20th-century Sanskrit word is also used by the Hindi grammarians since the rules of samAs in Hindi vyakaran are very similar. E.g., the Hindi word for "aerospace engineering" is "vAntariksha yAntrikI".

SR

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear SR, excellent composition and rendition.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear SR, excellent composition and rendition.
Thanks! I appreciate the attention of the discerning rasiks of CMF.

Note a couple of points for the technically oriented:

1. Each pada of the caraNam covers 5 (not 4 as in pallavi-anupallavi) tala avartanas (of 3 beats each). This is fine if one takes rupaka tala as 3 beats, but not if one takes the conventional definition of suladi rupaka tala (6 beats). Those who are nonplussed by this can render the kRti in trisra eka tala.

2. In the caraNam, the prasa (and even the optional yati) is not exact. The prasa consonant appears to "change" from "ma" to "ga", although all the preceding vowels are correctly dirgha ("kA" and "rA"). The reason is that the original composition had the caraNam beginning with "rAgavarjitabrahmacAriNam". Thus:

1) the prasa and yati were both fully satisfied,
2) there is a play (yamaka) on the word "rAga" which occurs thrice in the same place,
3) "rAgadvEshaviyukta" is a construct peculiar to the bhagavadgita, which Kalam reads daily.

However, I could not resist using "kamavarjita" since it gives the ragamudra (albeit not perfectly). Maybe a case of trying to do everything at once! This is deliberate - and in some sense illustrates the increasing difficulty of dealing with "contemporary" themes effectively within the confines of "classical" rules. If rasiks prefer "rAgavarjita" I shall change it.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

SR
Nice to note those subtle points.
You mean it is rUpaka thaaLam khaNDa nadai, am I right?
Nice to weave in subtly kalAm's catholicism and his familiarity with gIta!

I undertand he was a third generation Hindu convert!

Also liked your using the modern sanskrit (coined) terrms. Do explain them when you use them!

regards

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

This is a very special composition. I conceived it out of an inspiration rather than claiming that I worked on it. Nor am I capable of expressing in words the one who is 'nirvacanIyaM'.

Homage to the Father of Our Nation

raga Abheri mELa (22) kharaharapriya
aro SGMPNS' avaro S'NDPMGRS

gAndhiM bhArata bhUShaNaM guNanidhiM
gItArtha bOdhakaM varaM
nyAyyasthaM karuNAkaraM naravaraM
rAmapriyaM dhArmikaM
manujEndraM satyasantaM shyAmaLaM
shAntamUrttiM
vandE lOkAbhirAmaM A^NgLa bhayaharaM
bApujiM dEshabandhuM

Here is the audio as my pilot attempt
http://rapidshare.de/files/25374218/gAndhim.mp3.html
(Dear MNS! pl try it with your imagination if you please!)

I shall post the annotations later. The lyric is simplicity itself.
Now may I also request SR (or anybody else) to compose an appropriate kriti in abhEri! Thanks

If the viruttam as well as lyrics remind you of DKJ-MC as well as rAmakarNAmritam then it is no accident. That was indeed a magnificent performance (perhaps the phrase 'konnuTTEL pOngO' by DKJ to MC, a compliment higher than SK will remind you!). I would like to u/l the viruttam but I am not sure whether it is commercial (meena! Please help!).

If you have not heard it your viruttam audition in CM is incomplete ;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
I was expecting sooner or later one on Bapuji from you.
Very nice to hear.
Do try a full composition.

SR,
Heard your comp. on Man Mohan Singh and Kalam. Interesting...
Please do provide notations when you have time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Annotation

1. gAndhi is the family name. It is difficult to get a derived meaning for some of the names. Since he was a vaishyA probably some of his ancestors were dealers in pefumes (gandha) who were traditionally called gAndhika.

2. gItArtha bOdhakaM, This refers to Gandhi's lifelong attachment to the tenets of Gita. Even as a child he memorized many of the verses(as he mentions in his autobiography) and he later wrote an elaborate commentary in Gujarati (which was translated into English by Mahadeva Desai 'The gospel of selfless actions or The Gita According to Gandhi' Navajivan Press, Ahmedabad). Gandhiji's interpretation of Gita is novel and an an eye-opener and formed the foundation of his teachings regarding Satyagraha (civil disobedience), ahimsa (nonviolence) and untouchability.

3. nyAyyasthaM . The word 'nyAyya' denotes fundamental rights.
nyAyyE tiShThati yO (one who stands for fundamental rights)
In fact Gandhi is the pioneer in that area with his experiments against racism during his stay at South Africa. Martin Luther King acknowledges Gandhi as his inspiration for his well-known Civil Rights fight against 'colour barrier' in the West.

4. karuNAkaraM, This does not need much elaboration. But Gandhiji was the messenger of Universal Love and Compassion. He was the true follower of the preachings of Buddha and Christ in this respect and he lived those teachings as was shown by several instances in his life.

5 rAmapriyaM. Gandhiji's lifelong devotion to Rama is well-known. He was introduced to Tulsi Ramayana by his mother from his very early days. Yet again the last word he spoke was 'Hey Ram'!

6. dhArmikaM. Gandhiji respected law and order at all times and belived that Freedom should be won through dhArmik means, through a change of heart than through a convulsive revolution as it occurred in many other parts of the world!

7. satyasantaM. Ever since he saw in his childhood a street act on Harishcandra Gandhiji vowed to himself that he would never deviate from the path of 'satya'. He describes in his autobiography his whole life as 'an experiment with Truth'.

8. shyAmaLaM . Not that he was dark in colour. But the meaning is the subtle reference to his fight for the rights of the coloured people all over the globe.

9. lOkAbhirAmaM means one who pleases/or affectionate to the whole world.

10. A^NgLa bhayaharaM. The dominance of the English (Whites) were known as the 'White peril' (A^NgLabhayaM). The myth of the invincibility and superiority of the English was very real among the masses during the early part of the 20th Century after Queen Victoria was crowned as the 'Empress of India'. It took a mammoth effort on the part of Gandhiji who travelled the length and breadth of Bharat to explode that myth!

11. bApujiM. is the term of endearment by which Gandhiji was referred to by all the children in India!

12. dEshabandhuM. He is related to every one of us in India. After all is he not the Father of the Nation!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

You mean it is rUpaka thaaLam khaNDa nadai, am I right?
Correct...it is khandagati/nadai. Can be convenient for "neraval" on the first line of the caranam.
Also liked your using the modern sanskrit (coined) terrms. Do explain them when you use them!
Will do.

SR

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
'konnuTTEL, pongO!'. Not in the Natu Ram sense--au contraire, you have breathed life into the switched-off memory cells of our awareness. The Mahatma lives in your lines. Thanks for the meaning which of course reaches those of us who are not-well-versed in sanskrit. Not a word is wasted, and the short poem is rich in meaning. Bravo!

Can desha be plural here and include all of humanity (grammatically?)

'gandhi' means a spice merchant. This is what I heard Ben Kingsley say in an interview soon after he played the great man. His grandfather too was a 'gandhi', he said, a 'bhaNji'--merchant of spices (Kingsley's given name
was Krishna Bhanji). 'bhaNE narasayo' comes to mind...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Homage to the Father of Our Nation
CML, nice composition and rendering along with detailed translations. I found your use of "shyamalam" interesting and it turned out to have a subtle meaning. I have not composed on Gandhiji myself - you beat me to it! I will surely do so in the future.

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi/SR

for the informative comments!
(song on Bapuji is special for me as I was previleged to spend some time with him!)

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The next composition is in honor of Swami Chinmayananda, the great Advaitic sage of the 20th century.

cinmayAnandasya bhaktO bhavAmi (2000)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3h80ei

vasantarAgE miSracAputAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

cinmayAnandasya bhaktO bhavAmi |
cinmAtrasya mAyAvIdvaitatamOharasya ||

anupallavi

vAngmayabhAshyakArasya Sankarasya |
vEdOpanishadrahasyaprakASakasya ||

caraNam

brahmaprajnAnavyAptasya kOvidasya |
brahmAtmaikatvasambOdhakasya ||
nAmarUpapanCakOSamuktasya tasya |
nAyakakulajAtasya brahmAsmItibuddhasya ||
kAmArthasarvatyaktasya kumkumavarNAmbaradharasya |
kEraLadESaputrasya himAlayanivAsasya ramaNasya ||

Translation

I am a devotee of Chinmayananda,
Of him who is pure consciousness (cinmAtra),
Of him who dispels the darkness of illusory duality [1].

Of him who is an eloquent commentator, Of him who is auspicious,
Of him who throws light upon the secrets of the upanishads of the veda.

Of him who is pervaded by brahman-consciousness [2], Of him who is learned,
Of him who enlightens (us) of the unity of Brahman and Atman [3],
Of him who is free of names, forms, and the five sheaths [4a], Of That (tat) [4b],
Of him who is born in the clan of Nayakas, Of him who knows that 'I am Brahman' [5],
Of him who has renounced all desires and wealth, Of him who wears saffron-hued robes,
Of him who is a son of Kerala, Of him who resides in the Himalayas, Of him who pleases.

Notes

[1] Reference to duality caused by mAyA; also Ref. to the dualist schools of Indian philosophy.

The first four lines of the caraNam encapsulate the four mahAvAkyas (Great Utterances) of the Upanishads:

[2] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'prajnAnam brahma' (aitareya up.)
[3] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'ayamAtmA brahma' (mANDUkya up.)
[4a and 4b] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'tat tvam asi' (chhAndOgya up.) and its context.
[5] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'aham brahmAsmi' (bRhadAraNyaka up.)
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Wow! Wonderful.

Dear SR, please give us a brief sketch about yourself. Also, a picture to go along with that would be great :)

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

(Dear MNS! pl try it with your imagination if you please!)
Sorry CML, I tried it but it didn't come out well so didn't post it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
Could you share with us your memorable moments with Bapu?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks for the suggestion arasi

I am doing exactly that with a group of intimate friends. But it may be inappropriate to post them on a Public Musical Forum!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear MNS

it appears you are getting self-conscious! Viruttams are much easier than kritis. There is plenty of scope for imagination like the 'kalpana svaram'. You just need to keep in mind the raga bhava and explore, the only restriction is the proper padacchEdam. Be at ease and try! All the folks at this Forum are your friends! Good Luck!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent SR!

Very apt topic and personality. You have beautifully imbedded the great philosophical concepts from the upanishads. CinmayAnandA is indeed the finest exponent of advaitA in our recent times!
I noted the subtle reference to his numerous talks and commentaries on the works of shankara in

vAngmayabhAshyakArasya Sankarasya|

Perhaps I may also mention that cinmayAnandA claimed a distant family link with the 'taRavADu' of bhagavatpAda himself!

I have been told that the word 'tat' when it refers to 'brahmam' is different from its use as a pronoun. Accordingly it should be declined as a 'takArAnta'
(i.e., the shaShThi would be 'tataH' rather than 'tasya'!

Congratulations! Keep it up! And now awaiting 'vasanta'!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mmm, what does it take to be part of the inner circle? For the renaissance man that I know you to be, you no doubt have many areas of intimate friends (who share those interests). Does it mean that the 'unlettered' are not privy to your memorable experiences?--though I know you to be a sharer.
I agree about your reference to this being a forum for music. Still...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Homage to the Father of Our Nation (contd)

As requested I decided to offer the kriti on Gandhiji.

rAga Abheri

Pallavi
smara rE rE bhArata mOhana dAsaM
dEshabhakti pracOdaM
karaM canda gAndhiM

anupallavi
kaluSha vidUraM kAmita phala pradaM
viduSha vanditaM vishva nEtAraM

caraNaM
dAsa bhAva haraM darshitOjvala bhArataM
daridrArta nara datta nava jIvitaM
shatakOTi bhArata vandita naravaraM
shata shUrya shObhita prakhyAta varaM
(madhyama kAla)
sEtu himAlaya va^Nga gujarAta vist^Rita
bhArata prak^RityA nutaM
bhArata pitaraM pAvanaM bAlajanastutaM bAkastUri h^RitsthaM

Running meaning and annotation

Hey Indians! Remember Mohanadas Karamchand Gandhi who 'impels' patriotism.
(I chose the word 'pracOd' to connote the gAyatri where the invocation to the deity (savit^Ru) is to impel us towards 'true knowledge'. In the same way even the very thought of Gandhiji for Indians would inject patriotism in every vein!)

He is the remover of wickedness and granter of desires respected by scholars and is a universal leader.
(The allusion to 'wickedness' is in reference to the moral teachings of the
Mahatma who cleansed our minds and united us irrespective of religion,
language, caste colour or creed. The granting of desires is the indirect
refernce that the potential of a 'Free India' is limitless.)

He freed us of subservience and gave the vision of a brilliant 'prabuddha
bhArataM'. He gave new life to the poor and down trodden.
(Not just a reference to the liberation of the dalits (harijans) but one
should recall his introduction of the 'charka' as a cottage industry to
eliminate poverty among the rural Indians. Perhaps we need to return to Gandhiji's vision of grAmoddharaN since the gap between the haves and havenots has widened since Independance!)
He is venerated by hundred crores ( a billion!) people, with a fame tantamount to the brilliance of hundred Suns.

Reitrating the idea that he is venerated from South (sEtu) to North
(himAlaya), East (va^Nga) to West (gujarAt).
(prak^Riti means common ordinary folks!)
He is the Father of BhArat, he is worshipped by the children and he resides in the heart of Mother Kasturi BA! (who symbolized the ideal Indian womanhood!)

Now this is my token rendering. Of course my age limitations for reaching high but then is not a problem for most of you!

http://rapidshare.de/files/25582299/Sma ... a.mp3.html

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
very nice way of reminding us of the "Great Soul"
Singing anupallavi first and going back to pallavi has an added effect.
as for the rAga..
I am more reminded of a composition in bhimplas

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML, MNS,

Thanks. I will upload the recording soon.
Perhaps I may also mention that cinmayAnandA claimed a distant family link with the 'taRavADu' of bhagavatpAda himself!
I did not know that, but I would not be surprised that the "taravAD"s of Cochin/Ernakulam (birthplace of Chinmayananda) were intermixed with the "illams" around the area - Kaladi, birthplace of Sankara, is only 15 miles from Cochin.
I have been told that the word 'tat' when it refers to 'brahmam' is different from its use as a pronoun. Accordingly it should be declined as a 'takArAnta' (i.e., the shaShThi would be 'tataH' rather than 'tasya'!
Hmmm...interesting. Is "tatah" used instead of "tasya" for shashTi/genitive in Advaitic/Vedantic literature (Upanishads/Brahmasutras/bhashyas) ? For example, the "canonical" 10 Upanishads uniformly use "tasya", including the entire discourse on "tat" by Uddalaka Aruni in chandogya upanishad.

Tasya is used also in the svetasvatara upanishad, the only other one that can reliably claim Vedic status. E.g., "na tasya pratimA asti..." (4.19), "na samdrSE tishtati rUpam asya" (4.20)...., "Na casya kascijjanita na cAdhipah." (6:9). Of course, statements like 4.19 are taken from the Yajurveda.

I have not read any upanishads other than these 11 major ones. Maybe in the non-Vedic (later) upanishads there is a change of grammar ?

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Homage to the Father of Our Nation (contd)

As requested I decided to offer the kriti on Gandhiji.

rAga Abheri
CML,

An evocative composition, and probably fits nicely as Bhimpalasi rather than Abheri. I understand your reservations on publicizing the details of your meeting with Gandhiji. As an aside, my late grandfather was a "bhakt" of Gandhi and Nehru. He became an ardent nationalist after being rejected in the ICS (indian civil service) interview :P .

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The recording of "cinmayAnandasya" in rag vasanta has been uploaded (page 6).

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear SR, please give us a brief sketch about yourself. Also, a picture to go along with that would be great :)
-personal information edited -

Thanks for your inquiry. Here is a brief biosketch:

I was born in New Delhi. My school years were spent there, as well as some time in Hyderabad. I completed my undergraduate education in New Delhi and graduate studies in the United States. My main musical gurus were Dr. T.V. Manikantan (Dept. of Music, Delhi Univ.) and vidvan Puranam Purushottama Shastri (of Hyderabad). I began my attempts at composition in 1997. To date these are limited to kritis in Sanskrit. My style of composition is greatly influenced by Muthuswami Dikshitar and Maharaj Swati Tirunal. I am very happy to have found this fine forum, and look forward to discussing bharatiya shastriya sangeet with the many rasiks and intellectuals residing here.

Best Wishes,
Sangeet Rasik
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 30 Jan 2007, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks SR.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

SR
Very nice.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

SR
Very nice.
I am 100% sure you can sing it better than me! :)

SR

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

SR,
Some very nice, polished, thoughtful compositions that flow well...!
Thanks for sharing...and looking forward to many more.

A request/suggestion:
Do you compose in any of the contemporary languages? Specially interested in compositions in Hindi (my favorite language) and Malayalam (after Maharaja ST not many decent attempts in this language that I am aware of).
Ravi

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

I am 100% sure you can sing it better than me! :)
SR
Dear SR, thanks for the encouragement. I am very flattered. I will give it a try and post my attempt next week. The only problem is that I am not very comfortable singing to misra chapu tALa but I will give it a try.
All (but one) of my compositions are on "secular" and "philosophical" themes.
You don't have to answer this but is there any reason your compositions are confined to secular and philosophical themes? Any patriotic compositions?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

A request/suggestion:
Do you compose in any of the contemporary languages? Specially interested in compositions in Hindi (my favorite language) and Malayalam (after Maharaja ST not many decent attempts in this language that I am aware of). Ravi
So far I have not, but your suggestion is certainly good. I hope to attempt compositions in Hindi and Malayalam one day.

In case of Hindi, I am only fluent in "shuddh hindi" (which is the standard "Sanskritized" hindi engineered by the Indian government from the 1950s) and Hindustani (which is used for daily conversation around the Delhi area). Composing in shuddh Hindi, I feel, would be almost like Sanskrit. However the dialects (brajbhasha etc) are highly lyrical in nature and sound different from Sanskrit, unfortunately I am not at all familiar with them.

In case of Malayalam, I am sorry to say that my command of it does not go beyond what is needed for daily conversation. :( In order to prevent my attempt from sounding hilarious, I will have to get it "checked" by Malayalam pandits in my family first !

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear SR, thanks for the encouragement. I am very flattered. I will give it a try and post my attempt next week. The only problem is that I am not very comfortable singing to misra chapu tALa but I will give it a try.
Take your time - I look forward to it! As CML said, do not underestimate your talent !
You don't have to answer this but is there any reason your compositions are confined to secular and philosophical themes? Any patriotic compositions?
Yes, there is a reason. I felt that I could add only a small amount to the vast number of wonderful compositions already existing on Puranic themes. On the other hand the intervening period (from the "Golden Age" to the modern day) of Indian civilization remains little-explored, and hence I decided to try some compositions in this direction without loss of classicism nor any attempt at "fusion" with other kinds of music. I also feel that this may help to propagate our classical music through the modern age without altering the basic foundation created in the 16th-18th centuries.

I try to infuse patriotic themes into my compositions on modern Indian figures (statesmen/military leaders/sages/scientists/industrialists, etc), but I do not have any patriotic compositions (as yet) in the vein of "vande mataram". But I am sure I will compose one (or more) in the future. Thus I look forward to broadening my horizons with the help of ideas and criticisms from you all. Meanwhile I will also continue to post my existing compositions.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

With a heavy heart I am composing this piece with a personal touch since a close relative of mine came very close to the jaws of death. This is a time of mourning for all of us since a number of our innocent countrymen have been butchered savagely and senselessly at the altar of International Terrorism.

Mumbai Blast

Ragamaalikai

Punnagavarali

Pallavi

enrU thaNiyuM intha theeviravAthaM
enRu maDiyuM ivarkaL rakthaththin mOhaM.

pachchiLaM kuzhanthaikaL pAvam enna cheithaar
pAvikaL ivarkku irakkamuM ilayO!
pazhi OriDamuM pAvaM OriDamuM
pazhi vaa^Ngum ivarkku ithayamuM ilayO!

ChenchuruTTi

GaandhiyuM BuddhanuM piRanthathinnaaDE
neethiyuM neRiyuM vaLarththathinnaaDE
naaM anaivaruM bhAratha thaayin puthalvarkaL
ivarkaL naaM allar pullar pulluruvikaL.

Sindhubhairavi

enRemathinba suthanthiraM meeLuM
enReM vERRumai maaynthu poyyAkuM
paarellAM vazhkavenRu paathai chamaiththa (eM)
BhAratha naaTTinar parathaviththal muRayO!

Here is my tentative rendering perhaps choked with emotion!
http://rapidshare.de/files/25763686/Enr ... m.mp3.html

I request arasi/shankar to provide translation if there is any interest!

JAI HIND!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Very touching CML,
Ironically the incident happened after you posted one on Gandhi.
Pray for peace!

meena

Post by meena »

Please post the meaning. thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,
nIrum oru bhAratidAsarO?
It weren't so tragic, I'd say 'bhEsh, bhEsh, konnuTTEL, pOngO'!
But a fitting tribute....

Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meaning of the song:

When will it be quenched, this thirst for fanaticism?
When will their passion for blood die?

What did the innocent babes do?
Isn't there compassion in their hearts?
The accused and the perpetrators, are they one and the same?
Those who have vengence, don't they have a heart?

Gandhi and Buddha were born here
Justice and truth were reared in this land
We are all children of mother India
These are not--low life, parasites!

When will sweet freedom return
When will differences perish?
'Let all the world flourish' was our way
Is it right that we suffer thus in Bharath?

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover, I was touched by the poem. Hope you have better news about the loved one in Mumbai.
As you know only too well, literal translation, with tamizh's rich expressions won't do! I hope my free rendering here and there doesn't take away your forceful words in thamizh...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Arasi, thanks for posting the translation.

CML, an aptly somber composition. I hope that things work out OK for your relative in Mumbai.

Best Wishes,
SR