lyrics/meaning of kaa vaa vaa - varaali

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
poojapac

Post by poojapac »

Hi, I'd like to know what the meaning of this song is. Sending the lyrics would also be greatly appreciated. I do not need word-by-word meaning, just a general meaning (translation) of the song...

Thanks again,

pooja c :)
Last edited by poojapac on 19 Jan 2009, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kA vA vA. rAgA: varALi Adi tALA.

P: kA vA vA kandA vA vA enaik-kAvA vElA vA pazhani malai uraiyum muru-
A: dEvAdi dEvan maghanE vA para dEvi maDiyil amarum guhanE vA
vaLLi deyvayAnai maNavALA vA sharavaNabhava parama dayALa SaNmu-
C: AbattiruLara aruLoLi tarum appanE aNNaLE aiyA vA
pApat-tiraL tarum tApam aghala varum pazhanNi vaLar karuNai mazhaiyE vA
tApatraya veyil ara nizhal tarum vAn taruvE en kula guruvE vA
shrI padmanAbhan marugA rAmadhAsan vaNangum muttayyA viraivoDu

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go!

pallavi
kA vA vA kandA vA vA enaik-kA vA vElAvA pazhani malai uraiyum muru-

Oh handsome one (murugA), wielder of the mighty spear (vElavA) who resides (uraiyum) atop the hillock (malai) of pazhani)! Oh skandA (kandA)! My preservor (kA)! Please come (vA vA)! Please come/appear (vA) to protect (kA) me (enai)!

anupallavi
dEvAdi dEvan maganE vA para dEvi maDiyil amarum guhanE vA
vaLLi deyvayAnai maNavALA vA sharavaNabhava parama dayALa SaNmu-

Oh son of (maganE) of the supreme god (dEvan) of gods (dEvAdi), Siva, who rests (amarum) in the lap (maDiyil) of pArvati (para dEvi)! Oh Lord who illuminates the dark cave of our consciousness (guhanE), please come (vA) to me! Oh Lord of six faces (shaNmukhA), bridegroom (maNavALA) of vaLLi and dEvasEnA (dEvayAnai), the one who came into being (bhava) in a thicket (vana) of Sara grass (Sara-vana-bhava), oh supremely (parama) compassionate one (dayALA), please appear (vA) before me!

caraNam
AbattiruLara aruLoLi tarum appanE aNNaLE aiyA vA
pApat-tiraL tarum tApam agala varum pazhanNi vaLar karuNai mazhaiyE vA
tApatraya veyil ara nizhal tarum vAn taruvE en kula guruvE vA
shrI padmanAbhan marugA rAmadAsan vaNangum muttayyA viraivODu

My exalted (aNNalE) lord (aiyA), my father (appanE), who blesses (tarum) us with the light (oLi) of his grace (aruL) that dispels (ara) the darkness (iruL) in our souls, as well as the misfortunes/calamities (Abattu) that beset us! Please come (vA). Oh Lord who dwells (vaLar) in pazhani and rains (mazhaiyE) compassion (karuNai) on us, you are the one who comes (varum) to our rescue by granting (tarum) us the strength/vigor/bravery (tiral) to deal with our sins (pApa) and expel (agala) distress (tApam) from our lives! Mentor (guruvE) to my (en) dynasty (kula)! You are the heavenly (vAn) kalpaka vruksha (taruvE) that grants us (tarum) shade (nizhal) to protect us from the scorching heat/sun (veyil ara) of the three (traya) types of deadly sins/heat (tApa) [1]! Oh precious one (muttaiyA) worshiped (vaNangum) by the composer (rAmadAsan), nephew (marugA) of vishNu (padmanAbhan), please make haste (viraivODu) and come (vA) to me!

FOOTNOTES
[1] What are the three tApas?
Last edited by rshankar on 17 Jan 2009, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

divakar

Post by divakar »

"tApa trayam" are the three fires of afflictions or (three kinds of miseries) pertaining to this mortal world (Samsara)

(i) AdhyAtmika (afflictions caused by one’s own body),
(ii) Adhibhautika (those caused by beings around one)
(iii) Adhidaivika (those caused by the demi-gods or forces of nature)

more info. i just picked from internet...

Tapa Traya (Three Kinds of Miseries)

There are three kinds of miserable conditions: daiva, bhuta, atma.
Daiva means adhidaivika, and bhuta means adhibhautika, and atma means adhyatmika.

Adhyatmika, pertaining to your body and mind.
Body, we have got, we have got experience, so many bodily troubles, anxieties. If not body, mental. These are called adhyatmika.

Adhibhautika. I am peaceful, but another neighbor, or another animal, will give me some trouble. I am peacefully sitting here, but these flies are giving me trouble unnecessarily. I have to take precaution. So there are flies, mosquitoes, at night so many other animals, they come. Besides that, my brother, my friend, they are also prepared to give me trouble. Some way or other, other living entities causing some painful condition. This is called adhibhautika.

Adhidaivika. Daivika, painful condition created by the demigods. Just like there is hurricane all of a sudden. So many trees falls down, sometimes cottages devastated, overflood, excessive rain, overflood, famine, pestilence. You have no control. You cannot control. You can simply say, "In future." That's all. But there is no control.

So we are always in this painful condition. That is material life.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Divakar!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
pApat tiraL is accumulation of sins (tiraL=cluster)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

How cleverly Shri PS has coined the words- when one sings the last word 'muru' of the pallavi-and begins the first word of pallavi ,it is sung as 'gA,vA,vA' -(muru+gA), and not 'kA,vA,vA'.
No wonder he is called tamizh ThyAgayyA.
Lord murugA is called 'selva mutthukumaran or mutthukumaran'-in vaitteeswaran koil, which Shri MDS refers to in hiskalyANi kriti 'bhajarE citta bAlAmbikAm'- He calls her as 'rUpa muttukumAra jananI'.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 17 Jan 2009, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

poojapac

Post by poojapac »

WOW! Thanks to all of you for these lyrics and the meaning! I also appreciate all of the rest of the responses. :)

pooja c

arasi

Post by arasi »

Punarvasu,
Thanks. muttukkumAra janani, and I have missed hearing it while listening to that song!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Arasi. So, pApat-tiraL tarum tApam agala varum pazhanNi vaLar karuNai mazhaiyE vA should mean - 'Oh resident (vaLar) of pazhani, please appear before me (vA) as the one who takes the form (varum) of a shower (mazhaiyE) of compassion (karuNai) to quench (agala) the heat (tApam) generated (tarum) from the cluster (tiraL) of my/our sins (pApa).'

But, doesn't 'tiral' also mean strength or valor?

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

I think
tiraL = cluster,
tiral = skill, valour

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Is it not 'tiRan'-as in 'tiRamai'?
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 18 Jan 2009, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Given the context, tiraL is probably what fits best, IMO. How would you explain 'pApat-tiRan'?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

rshankar, I did not mean 'tiRan' in the song. What I meant was that the word for skill is 'tiRan'.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ah...I get it. Sorry to be dense!
Last edited by rshankar on 18 Jan 2009, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

I think tiran and tiral are words which mean broadly the same. The latter is found in
"seyya kumarEsa-t-tiRalOnE" ("tuLLumada", tiruppugazh).