NAgagAndhari OR Natabhairavi - Utthama Puthiran

Rāga related discussions
vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

The song, "KAtthiruppAn kamala kannan" in the movie, Utthama Puthiran (Sivaji, Padmini, Nambiar).

The Pallavi and Anupallavi - which rAgam is it? I've been racking my brains for a day now trying to figure out if it is NAgagAndhAri or Natabhairavi.

Please help me end my misery :-)

Venkatesh.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

This song is a ragamalika, sung in the rag Jonpuri, Thilang and Mohanam respectively.

Radhekrishna

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Thank you for the reply.

The Thilang and Mohanam are readily apparent.

The Jonpuri is the one that I cannot bring myself to quite grasp. Both Nagagandhari and Jonpuri being janya's of Natabhairavi with all notes present, it's confusing a bit.

But Jonpuri it is, I guess.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

vpadmana,
Nagagandhari is a nishad-antya janya raga of 20th mela NataBhairavi. In addition to this, 2 more different types of arohanam and avarohanam are also known to be existing to this raga, derived from different melas, viz. 23rd GM and 22nd Kharaharapriya.

1. Aroh: SRGMPDN Avaroh: NDPMGRSN of 20th Mela
2. Aroh: SRMPDNS Avaroh: SNDPMGRS of 23rd Mela
3. Aroh: NSRGMPDN Avaroh: NDPMGRSN of 22nd Mela

Nagagandhari raga is popular through the composition of Sri. M.Dikshitar ' sarasijanabha sodari sankari ' This raga also admits vakra arohana sanchara SRMGMPDNS . There is a song composed by Sri. Thyagaraja in this raga 'Oh rama rama '

The above given details are taken from Dr. S.Bhagyalakshmi's Ragas in Carnatic Music book.

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Yes, thank you. I do realize the theoretical differences. nAgagAndhAri rAganutE is another one of Shri Dikshitar's compositions in that rAgA.

The trick with kAtthiruppAn is to figure out the arOhanam/avarOhanam..... isn't it?