M Venkatagiriappa

Carnatic Musicians
bala747

Post by bala747 »

I don't know if anyone has heard of this violinist. I had posted a cassette recording of him a long time ago (along with his guru, P Bhuvaneshwariah.

That cassette featured a beautiful Simhendramadyamam with Needu caranamule. It had a mridangam, ghatam, ghanjira, morsing and even konnakol. The cassette company has probably folded a long time ago and I had obtained that cassette by digging through this ancient store in Bangalore six years ago. The case was tattered and broken but the tape still played well. A very lovely set of pieces played in the older style of violin playing (with hints of Dwaram). Simple and chaste renditions of Jagaddhodarana and Palukkebangara.

The reason I mention that artiste is, a student of the violin myself I found it rather sad that the a/m artiste has been virtually ignored. In 2000 I read that he was living in great poverty and failing health and was supported by the Nritya Dhara trust. I don't know if he is alive today or not.

Does anyone have any info on the Nritya Dhara trust or Sri Venkatagiriappa? I looked at the Nritya Dhara website but found no contact information. http://www.kalamandalamradhika.itgo.com/profile.html

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Bala: A while back I contacted someone by email at Nritya Dhara trust about the work they do for poor and old musicians ( possibly based on a discussion of the same artist at Sangeetham BB). She responded back to me. I will look for that email id.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is the info from our past email conversation.

Contact person: kalradhi@yahoo.com ( Dr.Kalamandalam Radhika )

She wrote then that she did not have Sri. Venkatagiriappa's address but only his account number for sending the financial assistance that Nrithya Dhara trust provides him. But she said she will try to get more info about him. Please contact her, may be she has more info now.