Favourites in the Big 6

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vijay

Post by vijay »

This is a topic I have wanted to start for a long time but the recent posts on likes and dislikes prompted it. I am crazy about K'priya and make a point of insisting it is Big 6 and not Big 5! Can we have discussions on our favourites in each raga - if possible with a final vote on 1 krithi. Hopefully this will lead to the discovery of many new krithis. If you wish you may include your favourite renditions as well.

Here is my list:

Thodi - Of the numerous candidates I am particularly fond of Thyagaraja's - Emi Jesithememi (MLV) and Kaddanuvariki (MMI) but the vote goes to Jesinadella thanks to a brilliant rendition of TRS with a spectacular neraval and an recent version of Nedunuri with Malladis. Syama Shastri has some really unique songs like E Mani Migula Vartninthu, Karunanidhi and of course, the Swarajathi, but I find Deekshitar unusually subdued in this king of ragas. I rather like Sivan's Thanigai Valar as well. Gajavadhana is another grand compositions

Shankarabharanam - Deekshitar's Akshaya Linga Vibho is usually regarded the king of this raga and Saroja Dala Netri is another favourite of mine but on top of the heap for me is Edutanilachitte (by the one and only TNS).

Kalyani - All the big composers have excelled in this one. Syama Shastri's Talli Ninne Nera and Swathi Thiruna's Pankaja Lochana both have a tranquil charm and each of one Thyagaraja's krithis is a monument to the raga. Nijadasavarada has to be lauded for its innovativeness but the crown goes to Deekshitar's absolutely brillaint Abhayamba Jagadamba (SRJ, Brindamma)

Kambhoji - Mari Mari Ninne (TMK, Alathoor Brothers) bags the award here, taking the battle away from the Saint's own Evari Mata (TMK again) and Koniyada Napai (Vijay Siva, Sanjay). Deekshitar's Sri Subrahmanyaya must be on everyone's hotlist as well - both Sanjay and Vijay Siva revel in it. TNS opened my eyes to the beauty of Syama Sastri's little heard Devi Meena Netri. Ma Janaki (MMI who else!) is another nice little piece to warm up a concert. Sanjay's Rasa Vilasa and KVN's commercial record of the same krithi are etched in my memory as well.

Bhairavi - Too many to list. So many of my all-time favourites - Syama Sastri's Swara Jathi, Thyagaraja's conrnucopia of compositions - Upacharamulanu, Chetulara (if it qualifies - MLV's version), Koluvaiyunnade (TMK), Tanayuni Brova (TVS, TNS) and E Nati Nomu (TRS) but the three that make my short-list are Viribhoni (why don't I ever tire of it!), Deekshitar's Balagopala (as always in a class of its own) and Thyagaraja's cascading sangathis in Rakshabettare. It is a hard choice but I will go for Rakshabettare and recall, in particular, Rama ravi's stunning rendition at Academy in 2006

My favourites in Kharaharapriya - Chakkani Raja is a Himalayan krithi and Pakkala Nilabadi (KVN, TNS) another fond favourite, but my own vote is for the rather lightish Rama Neeyeda - and it is BMK's version that I found most appealing

arunk

Post by arunk »

#1 kharaharapriya - cakkani rAja, saumitri bhAgyamE
#2 tODi - koluvamaragada,
#3 bhairavi - (amba) kAmAkshi, koluvaiyunnADe, upacharamulanu
#4 kAmbhOji - O rangaSAyee, maragata vallim
#5 SankarAbharaNam - akshaya linga vibhO, enduku peddala
#6 kalyANi - skip (all are good, but nothing that stands out spectacularly. The reason this is ranked 6th out of 6th. If all ragas are included, ranking will drop further)
Last edited by arunk on 20 Feb 2009, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

My personal rankings first ( with '.'s representing the distance. single '.' is not that significant )

Bhairavi.Sankarabharanam.tODi.kAmbhOji....kharaharapriya.Kalyani

#1. Bhairavi: Enati nomu palamu, Tanayuni brova
#2. Sankarabharanam: swara raga sudha, saroja dala netri
#3. tODi: Kaddanuvariki, koluvamaragada
#4. kAmbhOdi: marakatavallim, mA jAnakI
#5. Kharaharapriya: Of late, I am fancying nadachi, nadachi more than other songs in kharaharapriya. The SSI rendition has more to do with its rise to the top on my play list.
#6. kalyani: thalli ninnu

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Here's my quick list (might modify later and jinx the poll :-)):

#1 Bhairavi - viriboni, kAmAkshi, tanayuni brova
#2 kamboji - sri subrahmanyayanamasthe, tiruvadi sharanam, mA janaki
#3 shankarabharanam - akshaya linga vibho, dakshinamurte, endukku peddala
#4 toDi - dachukovulena, koluvamargada, gajavadana
#5 KalyAni - himadri sute, pankaja lochana, nidhi chala sukhama
#6 Kharaharpriya - chakkani raja, pakkala, rAmA nee samana
Last edited by Guest on 21 Feb 2009, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Wow Kalyani is really taking a beating here! Rajesh, BHarath and Sathej being the others who can't stand it!

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

1 kharaharapriya - cakkani rAja
2 tODi - koluvamaragada,(mmi)
3 bhairavi - viriboni(MDR)
4 kAmbhOji - mA jAnaki(MMI)
5 SankarAbharaNam - enduku peddala
6 kalyANi - NijadAsa varada(MDR)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

My ranks for the "Big 6" like "Big 12":
1. tODi: SrIkRSNam bhajamAnasa (MSS), SrIvEnkaTEsamvaram (TMK), rAve himagiri kumAri (SSI/MSS), rAju vedalE (ARI), rAgam tAnam pallavi (ARI/TNS)
2. bhairavi: viribONi (The Queen of viribONi - MSS), bAlagOpAla (Sanjay/TNS), amba kAmAkSi (SSI/MSS)
3. kharaharapriyA: rAma ni samAnam evaru (The King of rAma ni samAnam - SSI), pakkAlanilabaDi (MSS)
4. kAmbhOji: O rangasAyee (SSI/MSS), mA jAnaki (MMI), rAgam tAnam pallavi (GNB/SSI)
5. SankarAbharaNam: rAgam tAnam pallavi (SSI/MDR), bhakti bhIkSamIyavE (ARI/KVN)
6. kalyANi (The rAga I had an overdose of): bhajarE rE chitta (MSS), abhayAmbham (DKJ), kamalAmbhAm (GNB)

arunk

Post by arunk »

vijay wrote:Wow Kalyani is really taking a beating here! Rajesh, BHarath and Sathej being the others who can't stand it!
When I started out on CM, I really couldnt stand it (i had this psychological feeling that my head is starting to hurt when I listened to it :) ). If the artist sang a prati-madhyama raga as sub-main, I used to silently heave a sigh of relief since the chances of kalyANi main went down considerably! But my view of kalyani changed as soon as I started learning CM - particularly with the caraNam+swaras part of the (vanajakshiro) varnam itself - wonderfully aesthetic. Also on second thoughts, I would say amma rAvamma (e.g. Alathur Brothers) stands out the most for me - snappy :) !

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 21 Feb 2009, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

particularly with the caraNam+swaras part of the (vanajakshiro) varnam itself - wonderfully aesthetic
Yes, for me too. The 'ni' anchored prayogas are quite special and unparalleled. It has to be executed right, doing proper justice to the moniker 'kalyani Ni', like MLV does.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

1. Todi- Sri kamalambike (Sri DKJ), tamadam yen swamy (Sri GNB), dachu kovalena (Alathoor Bros.)
2. Kalyani- Pankaja lochana (Sri SSI), Nijadasavarada (Smt. MLV), talli ninnu (Sri DKJ)
3. Bhairavi- Balagopala (Sri KVN), amba kamakshi (Sri SSI), raksha bettare (Sri DKJ)
4. Shankarabaranam- Akshaya linga (Ramnad Sri Krishnan), dakshinamurthe (Smt MSS)
4. Kambhoji- Evari mata (Sri OST), sri Raghuvaraprameya (Sri NVS)
4. Karaharapriya- Pakkala nila (Sri TNS), Senthil andavan

Shankarabaranam, Kamboji and Karaharapriya tied at 4 :)
Last edited by bhaktha on 21 Feb 2009, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

1. Bhairavi
Amba Kamakshi (MDR, SSI, TNK), Viribhoni (anybody) = Is there more to Bhairavi than these two compositions, seriously?!
Lalithe Sri (Lalgudi Pancharathna) (LGJ) is another favourite of mine. Enati Nomu (MSS).
2. Kharaharapriya
Chakkani Raja (never tire of it) (many artistes, but especially MMI), Pakkala Nilabadi (KVN)
3. Kamboji
O Rangasayee (MSS, MDR), Sri Subrahmanyaya Namasthe (KVN, lots of others), Evari Mata (KVN, TNK/MC)
4. Shankarabharanam
Swara Raga Sudha (MSS, MDR, KVN), Endukku Peddala (many, many, including Malladi Brothers)(especially adore neravals @ Sangeetha Veda Shastra), Dakshinamurthe
5. Kalyani
Nidi Chala (classic) (KVN, TNK), Isa Pahimam (LGJ), Pankaja Lochana (SSI, NSG)
6. Thodi
Thaye Yeshoda (probably because it doesn't have the Thodi intensity I dislike) (MMI, especially the neravals at Kalinil Chilambu), Gajavadana Sammodita (because it's just an awesome composition in spite of its raga) (TMK, Amrutha Venkatesh, SSI)
Last edited by bilahari on 21 Feb 2009, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I agree as well about the adi tala varnam in Kalyani- it's really lovely! My favourite phrase in that varnam is in the chittai swaras: SPMD- lovely dattu sequence! The Ni is extaordinarily used in that varnam, with phrases like DGRN, RN, SD, NPDNS... Of course the ata tala varnam is something else.
Last edited by bilahari on 21 Feb 2009, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Of these, shankarabharanam and maybe kambhoji can be listened to any time. So they'll get the vote.

I don't know a lot of compositions, but I'll try.

Shankarabharanam I like saroja daLanetri and swara raga sudha.

Kambhoji I like koniyadina napai and evari mata. Should listen to devi meena netri sometime.

Thodi I like the swarajati ... then I think some Sivan compositions are very good.

Bhairavi Swarajati, Koluvaiyunnade, Viribhoni, Upacharamulanu

Kalyani: Nidhi chala sukhama, rama nee

Khpriya: chakkani rajamargamulu, pakkala nilabadi, rama neeyeda also good.
---
Varali? Eti janmamu
I've also heard "kamakshi" and like it because of the vilamba kalam.
---
But I'd like if people ditched these ragas and took up (NOT other mela kartas, PLEASE!) ragas like bilahari, sahana, nattai kurinji ... for the main in around half the concerts.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 21 Feb 2009, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

tOdi: 1. Sri Krishnam Bhaja Manasa (SSI and TNS) 2. tAmadam En and Ananda natesA (both by GNB)

ShankarAbharanam: 1. Of course, Akshaya Linga (several artistes including ARI) and this might sound unusual, but for me #2 is mahA lakshmi Jagan mAtA (Santhanam) and 3. Janani nata Jana pAlini (MDR)

Kambhoji: 1. O RangasAyee (SSI and MDR), 2. Sri Subramanyaya (GNB) and 3. KAna kan kodi (MMI)

Kalyani: 1 BhajarE rE cita (TRS; I have heard him sing live in the US and I am not sure if anyone has a recording) and 2. KamalAmbAm bhajarE (MLV and MMI) and 3. Vanajakshi Ata Tala varnam (MDR)

Kharaharapriya 1. RAma nIyada (BMK; Vijay I agree this version that BMK sang in Rama Navami in Bangalore 1968 is extraordinary) 2. cakkani rAja (MDR) and 3. Senthil Andavan (many artistes).

Bhairavi: 1. Viriboni (MDR), 2 Swarajati (SSI) and 3. yArO ivar yArO (MMI)
Last edited by kamalamba on 21 Feb 2009, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I wrote:But I'd like if people ditched these ragas and took up (NOT other mela kartas, PLEASE!) ragas like bilahari, sahana, nattai kurinji ... for the main in around half the concerts.
But coming to that, MMG is perfectly OK with me. pantuvarali or shubha pantuvarali well sung are also OK. But they are somewhat sad ragas and an hour-long exploration of them can get depressing, especially for shubha pantuvarali, which doesn't even get thought-provoking.

My problem is with ragas like vachaspati, dharmavati, hemavati, simhendra madhyamam and to some extent shanmukhapriya.

I have a soft corner for gowri manohari, but still, like the other mela kartas, it's perfectly OK for say some pre-main.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 21 Feb 2009, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

The BIG 6, as Vijay puts it :)

1) Thodi - could listen almost every day - Like almost any composition in the Ragam. Particular favourites include Kaddanu Variki (difficult to hear it these days), Shri Krishnam Bhaja Manasa (MD is unmatcheable here. The entire Krithi - Pallavi, Anupallavi and Charanam is simply beautiful), Chesinadella, Ra Ra Vasudeva (by Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavathar) and several other compositions. In short, nothing that I dislike.

2) Bhairavi - definitely a top favourite. Shyama Sastri Swarajathi (SSI's version period), Viriboni, Thanayuni Brova, Upacharamulanu and several others as well,

3) Sankarabharanam - nice and soothing to me. Somehow Akshayalingavibho isn't right up there for me. Swararagasudha, Enduku Peddala (SSI), Shri Kamalambikaya (monumental and outstanding Krithi), Eduta Nilichithe, Chinthaye Re Sadgurum (supposedly a Bhajana Sampradaya Krithi elevated to an hour long main by TNS), Akshayalingavibho and SS' Saroja Dala. The last two are just about there for me.

4) Kambhoji - Shri Subrahmanyaya by a long long way. And then maybe Koniyadina and Mari Mari. Evari Mata, Rasa Vilasa, Devi Nee Pada Sarasa (by SS) to round up!

5) A distant fifth Kharaharapriya - Chakkani Raja by a long way and then Pakkala Nilapadi and Rama Nee Samana.

6) A very distant Kalyani (good memory Vijay, or am I that conspicously put off when I hear a Kalyani :)) - Well, nothing much to write here. I agree to a certaion extent with Arun and others about the Varnam, G,MPD M,PDN P,DNS Chittai Swaram, Nishadam centric Prayogams et al. My dislike changed a bit as well after I learnt the Varnam and so on. But still, lets just say I can't quite 'like' it. Except that a really well rendered Manodharmam part - Alapanai or Neraval or Swaram would be fine for me!

Sathej
Last edited by Sathej on 21 Feb 2009, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I have a question to ask to all of you:
Why do you all choose only sampoorna ragas as favourites? I think the only non-sampoorna raga here is kambhoji! I know that these are all your favorites. But, this is my question:
Why don't you feel moved by a owdava raga or a shadava raga? Why only sampoornas? I know that there is such a lot of scope in a sampoorna raga but why not in a non-sampoorna raga? Some of my favourite non-sampoorna ragas are:
Mohanam
Saramati
Hindolam
Kalyana Vasantham
Abheri
etc etc
Why don't non-sampoorna ragas come under your BIG 6?
Please let me know. I am not asking this to cook up controversies. I was just curious. Different people have different tastes.

prashant

Post by prashant »

tODi: I cannot believe shri subrahmaNyO mAm rakshatu has not found a place here yet. A testament to Dikshitar's unique creativity. The charaNam especially is one of the most spectacular pieces of music in the Carnatic canon. I also like the swarajati by SS, the pensive and gigantic endu dAginAdO, CEsinadella, karuNajUDavamma and munnu rAvaNa of tyAgarAjA and shri venkaTESam varam of pUCi. The small songs by tyAgarAja are such a treat: nIvaNTi daivamu shaDAnana, kOTi nadulu, rAju veDalE etc. gajavadana sammOdhita - how can one not love this krithi? I also love amba nannu brOvavE and Emani mATLADitivO for the majestic tArasthAyi starts. sadA nI pAda of Spencer Venugopal is a beautiful 2-kaLai chaukam krithi I discovered thanks to Coolkarniji, and it is a modern classic which DKJ Sir used to sing beautifully.

SankarAbharaNam - dakshiNAmUrtE, for me, wins hands down. Another krithi I love in this rAgA is bAgumIra of vINA kuppayyAr. Enjoy SankarAchAryam and the navAvaraNa krithi also. I must admit to not being very partial to the tyAgarAja krithis in this rAgA but if I had to pick, endukku peddalAvalE and bhaktibiCCamIyavE would win. My Guru used to sing a beautiful krithi of Krishnaswamy Ayya which is in the SSP - shAradE sadAshrayE - only Sri TMK sings this these days from time to time. I do not enjoy nAgalingam bhajEham, which at least musically for me, is not up to usual MD standards. sarOjadaLanEtri is always welcome but I prefer niraval at sAma gAna vinOdini. I have heard girijAya ajAya only once, by Smt. Jayashri, but it left a lasting impression on me. Seems like a monumental krithi with an emphasis on unconventional prayogas.

kharaharapriyA: naDaCi naDaci wins in a tough contest with saumitri bhAgyamE, plus I love the Sivan krithis in this rAgA [jAnakipatE, senthil ANdavan, gaNapatiyE, kAkka unakkirakkam, parAmukham EnayyA and the MD-ish shrinivAsa tava CaraNau]. kharaharapriyA and Tamil go hand in hand for me - navasiddhi peTrAlum, pAdi madi nadi [tiruppugazh] etc are beautiful. I am not very fond of pakkala nilabaDi except for the KVN version. Speaking of KVN and kharaharapriyA - satatam tAvaka - wow!

bhairavi: amba kAmAkshi and the navAvaraNam are my prime favorites, but I love pretty much any krithi in this rAgA. One of my goals this year is to learn up some underrated and difficult masterpieces: AryAm abhayAmbAm and koluvaiyunnADE - both of which delve very deep into bhairavi. bAlagOpAla is a maserpiece of course, but a multitude of pedestrian versions are in vogue, which make the KVN / DKP versions shine even more. sari evarammA of SS is another krithi I love hearing but do not hear as often as I would like. Spencer Venugopal's three songs in bhairavi are all modern classics - shri kAmAkshi, SaTi evvarE and the jhampa tALa krithi KVN used to sing - have forgotten the name. mukhattai kATTiyE of pApavinAsa mudaliar, attaruNam, tAyE ezhaippAl of Sivan, pazham nI of Tooran, the tiruppavai, all masterpieces. I think the cake is taken by rAma rAma - one of the most difficult padams there is, IMO. Any musician who can achieve some command over this can be quite proud of her/himself. I better stop before I gush too much about bhairavi.

kalyANi: abhayAmbA jagadambA is my all time favorite. nijadAsa varada and the aTa tALa varNam are also items I like to listen to often. I also like kAru vElpulu but am yet to listen to it on stage live. I wish more musicians would take up entaTi kulukE [or its tamizh counterpart tEril ErinAn] - it is so lilting. I am not very partial to most tyAgarAja krithis in this rAgA not due to any 'musical' reason [except for nammi vaCCina which I think is a relatively mediocre krithi by tyAgarAjA standards] but because I hear them so often rendered mechanically e.g. nidiCAla sukhama rendered without any appreciation for the sentiments conveyed there is a pointless exercise. The tiruppavai is a real gem which is unfortunately seldom heard these days. The Navaratri krithi of ST is one of the more difficult krithis in this rAgA and is a test for any musician, as is kAntimati karuNamIra of Subbarama Dikshitar which Smt. Sowmya sings so well today in the tradition of Smt. Brinda & Smt. Mukta.

kAmbhOji: kASi viSvESvarA, shri valmIkalingam, kamalAmbikAyai, shri subrahmaNyAya namastE, kailAsanAthEna, marakatavaLLim - Dikshitar and kAmbhOji is just a great combination. Three krithis with totally different setups in aTa tALa - what a genius!!! I must admit I was not an EvarimATa fan until my Guru introduced me to the pleasure of singing niraval at the pallavi. I love it now. O rangasAyi is great but I have to be 'in the mood for it' to either sing it to it. Emayya rAmA is another favorite. A seldom-heard piece that I like is pAlinCu sarvANi which Somu used to sing. Sanjay sings a bunch of tamizh pieces in kAmbhOji [sikkal mEviya, nIyE sharaN shaNmukhA etc] but none of them have made much of an impression either favorable or unfavorable. I also the brisk pieces like lambOdaram avalambE and mAjAnaki.

What great ragas and krithis!!! We are lucky to have such a wealth of choice in our music.
Last edited by prashant on 21 Feb 2009, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

in the personal order of preference:

bhairavi: viribhONi, sariyevarammA, tanayuni brOva, Arukku ponnambalan krupai irukkudO,

shankarAbaraNam: akshaya linga vibhO, dakshiNAmurtE, sadAsivam upAsmahE, bhakti biccamiyyavE,

kAmbhOji: kAsi visvEsvarO Ehi, srI subramaNyAya namastE, dEvi nI pada sArasamulE, mari mari ninnE,

tODi: rAvE himagiri kumAri, dAtsukOvalEnA

kalyANi: abhayAmbA jagadAmbA, bhajarE rE citta, kAru vElpula

kharaharapriyA: vidhi illArku, pakkala nilabaDi

(amount of space in between directly proportional to extent of liking of the ragam)

vasanthakokilam

srinivasrgvn, These six are being discussed because the original poster Vijay specified them so. Also, the 'big 6' refers to these ragas being most frequenty chosen as the main.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

IIRC, in the 1980s, there was a eka raga concert in AIR of DKP/DKJ in Bhairavi - Viriboni, Neepadamule gatiyeni, Raksha Betare, Balagopala, Sari Evaramma and Thondru Nighaz. Upacharamulanu is sung in many Sampradaya Bhajans.

Sanjay Subramanyan sang a big 5 raga concert at Music Academy in 2003 ? Karthikeya Gangeya - Thodi, Ma Janaki - Kamboji, Kanthimathi - Kalyani, Balagopala - Bhairavi and Thirupugaz - Sankarabaranam.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Top 3

1. Todi - Sri Krishnam, Karthikeya, Thaye yasoda
2. Bhairavi - Balagopla , Viriboni
3. Kambhodi - Sri Subramanyaya, O Rangasayee

Next 3:

4. Kalyani : Ethavunara, Sive pahimam
5. Khraharpriya : Chakkani raja, Senthil Andavan - I like the songs in this raga but alapanas put me off.
6. Shankarabaranam - In the list only because Vijay included in the top 6.

I would prefer Shanmugapriya or Keeravani in top n6
Last edited by rajumds on 21 Feb 2009, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Is anyone going to put Kalyani #1 ( baktha came pretty close with #2 ) or for that matter any pratimadhyamam raga as #1?

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks for all your responses - hope we can hae more. I admit that I haven't heard Sri Subrahmanyo but I will certainly give it a listen based on Parshant's reco. I don't know I missed out Karu Velpulu - a close second to Abhayamba in my Kalyani list...

Also agree on Sivan's krithis in Kharaharapriya - Senthil Andavdan is certainly right up there

Srikant - sorry I meant Syama Shastri's Devi Nee Pada as mentioned by Bharath in Kambhoji - Devi Meena Netri I think is is some other raga

VK - Kalyani is second for me too - I didn't put the ragas in any particular order - my "ranking" is - Kharaharapriya, Kalyani, Kambhoji, Thodi, Sankarabharanam and Bhairavi - I hope the it is the same as in the other thread...apart from Kharaharapriya, I am fairly neutral between the others - it depends on the mood...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

annamalai wrote: Sanjay Subramanyan sang a big 5 raga concert at Music Academy in 2003 ? Karthikeya Gangeya - Thodi, Ma Janaki - Kamboji, Kanthimathi - Kalyani, Balagopala - Bhairavi and Thirupugaz - Sankarabaranam.
i think this is the same concert where sanjay planned to sing rtp in shankarAbaraNam and do a tukkaDa in khpriya. but had to change plans...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vijay and srikant, dEvi mInanEtri of shyama sAstri is in shankarAbaraNam.

rajumds, evari mATa is in kambhOji

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Thanks Bharat , I have edited.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

My ranking:
Top 1 shared by Sankarabharanam and Todi - what majestic ragas these two are!
Then come:
Bhairavi
Kh.Priya
Kambodhi
Kalyani

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

Bhairavi (one of my favorite ragas): I like Tanayuni Brova, Viriboni Varnam, Upacharamu (short and long), the swarajati, and the navavarnam. But my personal favorite is Balagopala. This kriti beautifully brings out the gamakas of Bhairavi. KVN Sir was the master of this kriti. There was a neraval of KVN Sir for the line 'nIla nIrada sharIra' that Coolkarni Sir had uploaded once. I never fail to get goosepimples any time I listen to it. I turned into a big DKJ fan after listening to a recording of Raksha Bettare accompanied by Raghu Sir. I also like the patnam kriti ni pAdamule. KoluvaiyunnAdE, so great to hear, but one tough kriti to learn. Like Prashant, I too hope to learn this kriti this year.

Kalyani: etAvunnarA is my favorite, because of its lovely meaning, great raga bhava, and lilting rhythm. I also like abhayambA, kamalAmbAm bhajarE, and bhajarE chitta. The last one is also a KVN masterpiece for me, especially his neraval in nijarupa dAna daksha charanA. One must listen to nedunuri gAru singing enduko nI manasu. Such a lovely kriti by the saint !!!

Todi: Tyagaraja's best-sellers all the way -> emi jEsitE, Emani matlAditivO, jEsinadella, koluvamarEgada, kOti nadulu ( i learnt this from nedunuri gAru), gati nIvani (i personally think no other todi can equal this). The only Dikshitar kriti I really like is the navavarnam. I hope I get to learn gajavadana this year, sometime.

Kambhoji: O rangasAyee, marakatavallIm (although a samashti charanam kriti, how beautifully kambhoji has been presented here), evarimAta, sri raghuvarAprameya, mahita pravrddha srImati, sri subrahmanyAya namastE (is it possible for anyone to know this kriti and not know about KVN Sir !!!). I also like kailAsanAthena a lot. Misra cApu + Kambhoji is a rare combo (although dIkshitar might have composed it in triputa and not in m' cApu).

Kharaharapriya: rAmA nIyada, nadaCi nadaCi, sankalpamE, cakkani rAjamArgamu, srinivAsa tava charanam (gone through the KVN beautifying machine), mitri bhAgyamE (nedunuri gAru patented), and a firebrand SSI singing rAma nI samAnamevaru, with neraval and swaras at paluku paluku.

Shankarabharanam: swara rAga sudhA (the first 2 kalai kriti I learnt), dakshinAmurtE, manasu swAdhinamai (my guru in Mumbai sings it beautifully), navAvarnam (DKJ sir and disciples' version is fantastic). ARI's akshayalingavibhO, I am sure, must be one everyone's list.
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 21 Feb 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Here is my list:

1)Todi: Karunajudavamma, Kaddanuvaariki, Koluvamaregada, Munnu ravana, Dachukovalena (Tyagaraja), Nannu brochutaku (Subbaraya Sastri), Ninne nammi naanu (Syama Sastri), Ninnanodi dhanyanaadeno (Purandara dasa), Kaliteera vandarul (Kotiswara Iyer), Sarasija naabha muraare (Swati Tirunal), Mahaganapatim vande (Dikshitar), Poosadaaramu (Govindasamayya)

2)Sankarabharanam: Akshayalinga vibho, Dakshinamurte (Dikshitar), Saroja dala netri (Syama Sastri), Sri shanmukha janaka (Mysore Sadasiva Rao), Swara raga sudharasa (Tyagaraja), Hogaadiralo ranga (Purandara dasa), Aarthappiravi (Tiruvempavai)

3)Bhairavi: Tanayuni brova, Raksha bettare, Koluvaiyunnade (Tyagaraja), Balagopala (Dikshitar), Sariyevaramma (Syama Sastri), Neepaadamule (Patnam), Odi baaraiyya (Purandara dasa), Rama rama (Kshetrayya), Ela raada (Chinniah)

4)Kalyani: Kamalambam bhajare, Sivakameswarim (Dikshitar), Neesarisaati (Ponniah Pillai), Kantimatim (Subbarama Dikshitar), Nijadasa varada (Patnam), Birana brova (Tarangambadi Panchanada Iyer), Gaddari vagala (Kshetrayya), Entati kuluke (Dharmapuri Subbarayar)

5)Kamboji: O Rangasayi, Evarimata (Tyagaraja), Sri subhramanyaaya namsate (Dikshitar), Adi oka yugamu, Balavinave (Kshetrayya), Emi maayamu (Pattabhiramayya)

6)Kharaharapriya: Chakkani raja (Tyagaraja), Rama ee vela (Varnam)

prashant

Post by prashant »

How did I forget nannu brOCuTaku in tODi? :-)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

annamalai wrote:
Sanjay Subramanyan sang a big 5 raga concert at Music Academy in 2003 ? Karthikeya Gangeya - Thodi, Ma Janaki - Kamboji, Kanthimathi - Kalyani, Balagopala - Bhairavi and Thirupugaz - Sankarabaranam.
Yes, I vividly remember this concert too. Sanjay was in great form. So was T K Murthy mama on mridangam. But Murthy mama suffered a heart attack/stroke midway through concert. Looking at the pain on Murthy mama's face, Sanjay forcibly finished the tani and galloped through the tiuppugazh (kAdi nodi). As soon as the concert was finished (abt 45 minutes earlier than scheduled time), Murthy mama collapsed right on the stage. Murthy mama was rushed to the hospital by Mr Ramji of MA. My Aunt and myself were waiting for the rAgam tAnam pallavi in karaharapriyA. It was surprising that even under such circumstances Murthy mama was interested in finishing the concert. He showed such great spirit.

dhanyasi

Post by dhanyasi »

I am surprised that kshetragna's "rama rama prana saki" is not found in any bhairavi list even barath's :( a true masterpiece in bhairavi

mohan

Post by mohan »

There are so many beautiful krithis in these ragas, that it really is hard to choose. I can't really say I dislike any of the songs in these ragas (especially from the trinity) but here are some of my favourite ones:

1) Bhairavi: Chintayamam (Dikshitar) Koluvaiyunnade (Thyagaraja), Kamakshi (Syama Sastri), Neepadamule (Patnam)

2) Kamboji: Sri subramanyaya namaste (Dikshitar), Evarimata (Thyagaraja)

3) Thodi: Koluvamaregada (Tyagaraja), Bharati mam (Swati Tirunal), Sri Krishnam (Dikshitar)

4) Kharaharapriya: Rama nee samana, Chakkani raja (Thyagaraja), Srinivasa (Papanasam Sivan)

5) Kalyani: Pankaja lochana (Swati Tirunal) Evaramadugudura (Thyagaraja)

6) Sankarabharanam: Sri Kamalamba (Dikshitar), Swara raga sudharasa (Thyagaraja)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech wrote: Yes, I vividly remember this concert too. Sanjay was in great form. So was T K Murthy mama on mridangam. But Murthy mama suffered a heart attack/stroke midway through concert. Looking at the pain on Murthy mama's face, Sanjay forcibly finished the tani and galloped through the tiuppugazh (kAdi nodi). As soon as the concert was finished (abt 45 minutes earlier than scheduled time), Murthy mama collapsed right on the stage. Murthy mama was rushed to the hospital by Mr Ramji of MA. My Aunt and myself were waiting for the rAgam tAnam pallavi in karaharapriyA. It was surprising that even under such circumstances Murthy mama was interested in finishing the concert. He showed such great spirit.
Krishna

I do remember reading about that event. Didn't know you were personally there. What a great vidvaan. No doubt he has been honouured by the whole community
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... -kind.html

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Yes we were in the balcony (Rs 50 ticket). That was just before I landed in CU Boulder for becoming Dr ksrimech. I think I reported it in sangeetham.com then. I feel TKM is a great pokkisham to CM.
Last edited by ksrimech on 22 Feb 2009, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Hey -- I was in the balcony too for that concert! Was it 2003 December?

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

I was reminded of a brilliant composition of Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar in tOdi (Sri VENKATESAM; which TM Krishna sings). For me, this ranks on par with the best in this rAgam.

prashant

Post by prashant »

dhanyasi: rAma rAma is very much there in mine :-)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

funny how often TMK has been mentioned in this thread...well, he does emphasize the weight these ragas deserve. I enjoy literally all of the krithis here....but whats clear is that it is just as important as to how the artists present it....the raga, krithi and the artist seem to be in unison when it comes to these 6 ragas. I like to think of things in 7, so I will add Sahana to my list:

thodi: raave himagiri (SSI/TMK/Vijay Siva), ninne nammi naanu (SKR)
kalyani: nidhichala (TMK), thalli ninnu nera (TNS/Ranjani Gayathri), bhajare chitta (MS, KVN), MLV and Suguna's....I really love when they sing this raga.
Shankarabharanam: Sadashivam Upasmahe(TMK, TMK and TMK), Rama Ninnu Vina (Love the breezy way Sanjay sings this), Dakshinamurthey (SSI, BMK's version is one I always treasure due to the clarity in enunciation)
Kambodhi: Kaana Kann(MMI), O Rangasayi(SSI), Kasi Vishveshwara (Vijay Siva)
Bhairavi: Swarajathi (Nedunuri/Voleti.SSI), Balagopala (KVN)
kharaharapriya: Nadaci Nadaci (SSI/TMK). I dont like pakkala nilabadi....particularly when MS sings it :(!
Sahana: Giripai..

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

dhanyasi, i m surprised myself as to why i missed rAma rAma prANa sakhi. but then, i did miss many more of my favourites.

I just typing the first kritis i would remember and wish to listen when i think of the rAgam...

vasanthakokilam

One minor side point. When Vijay said at the outset that multiple krithis per Big 6 raga are encouraged, he had the group interest in mind that this will result in some new recommendations which has indeed been the case. But it is a great exercise (bordering on self-inquiry) to limit oneself to two or three and struggle which ones to include and which ones to leave out.

vasanthakokilam

Vijay, may I give you an assignment? Wouldn't it be great to have a table with the name of the krithi and a link to the recommended rendition(s) of the krithis in people's lists. I am sure sangeethapriya has a lot of such tables. It will be along those lines but it will be in the context of people's lists and their recommendations.

If an existing online link is not available but if someone has a non-commercial rendition, please use services like esnips instead of the file sharing services like sendspace for this purpose since they tend to be more permanent.

We can pitch in to help in organizing the table.

On second thoughts, may be it is better that we give the responsibility of finding the links of their recommendations to individual members. we can then collate and bring it to one central place.

The usual disclaimer: Links to non-commercial renditions only please!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

OK, VK.
tODi: yes! Sri venkaTESam. neraval beautiful both at dEvEndra vinutam, dIna dayAkaram and at mAra janakam mAdhava nAmakam in the caraNam. I have to admit the song didn't come to mind until I saw kamalamba's post. Thanks, Mohan!
KalyANi: again, thanks to you, your namesake kamalAmbA(m)! All of the caraNam is invaluable.
SankarAbharaNam: manasu svAdInamaina
Bhairavi: koluvaiynnADE (may I add one more? yArO ivar yArO). Hey! Remember I am truly trying to make friends with this lofty rAgA.
kHambOji: ivan yArO (ArO)? I like the rich imagery and movemnt in this song. And, neraval at vAsavAdi sakala dEva vanditAya varENya in SrI subrahmaNyAya (specially of the AriyakkuDi school).
kharaharapriya: I bet only a few will know this song. AdAram nItAn enRarindEn, aRindu caraNaDaindEn--apart from a sentimental attachment to this song, it is a moving Kharaharapriya in its lines too. Neraval line: alai kaDal turumbena avadiyuRum enakkabayam tA!
Now I get it. the words have to have an emotional impact on me as well...

vidya

Post by vidya »

(In order of preference)

Kalyani: kAruvelpulu, nIkE dayatOci, AbhayAmbA, birAnabrOva idE
ShankarabharaNam: DakshinamUrtE, girijayAjayA, ShambhO jagadIsha pAhimAm (not the BMK version)
KAmbhOji: kAshI vishvEshvara, O Ranga sAyI, vadarakapO POve
Bhairavi : Swarajati, Rama Rama prANasakhi
Todi : Swarajati, endu dAginADO, shrI subrahmaNyo mAM, tarali poyyE, dAni sAmajendra and rUpamu jUci
Kharaharapriya : Kori sevimpa rAre
I think the Sambamoorthian lore about this composition has something to do with my love for this composition but I find the KHP here refreshingly different.
Last edited by vidya on 23 Feb 2009, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

S'bharaNam: sarOjadaLanEtri, SrI candramoLISvarArdhanArISvara, manavi cEkOnarAdA, girijayAjaya
kAmbhOjI: O rangaSAyI, marakatavallIm (GNB's), tiruvaDi SaraNam, kuzhal Udi manamellAm
kalyANI: vAsudEvayani (GNB's version), birAna varAlu icci, rAvE parvata rAjakumArI, a tukkaDA - vELai arindE SolluvAi, beginning to fall in love with Somu's SivE pAhimAm
tODi: dASarathI, kArtikEya gANgEya, rAvE himagiri kumArI, tAyE yaSOdA
bhairavi: yArO ivar yArO (the bhairavI version), EnATi nOmu (N at sundaraESa suguNabrunda...), ambA kAmAkshI, bAlagOpAla
k'priyA: pakkala nilapaDi, cakkanirAja, rAmA ivvELa (pada varNam), (sau)mitri bhAgyamE

vasanthakokilam

Vidya, is that in the preference order? Then you answered my prior curiosity about if anyone is going to have kalyani as number 1.

BTW, this karuveppilai krithi...hmmm.. sorry ( ;) )..kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Nice thread - but not to be influenced by so many nice compositions that might have already been mentioned, I am jumping in to name my picks before reading all those posts!

tOdi : rAvE himagiri, subramanyo mAm rakshatu, kamalamba dhyana kriti, kangaLidyAtakO kAvEri rangana, Krishnam bhaja mAnasa, koluva maragada

bhairavi : viribONi, kAmAkshi amba, bAlagOpAla, gati vErevaramma, lalitE SripravRuddhE, janani mAmava

kAmbhOji: marakatavallIm, O rangaSAyI, evari mATa

shankarAbharaNa: nAgalingam bhajEham, akshaya linga vibhO, eduTA nilachite, pOgadirelo ranga, sarOjadaLanEtri

Kharaharapriya : chakkani rAja, samAnamevaru, rAmA nIyeDa

kalyANi: nidhichAla sukhamA, kAruvelpulu, sundari nI divya, nijadAsa varadA, kamalAmbAm bhajarE ... and many more about which I had written sometime ago

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/03 ... i-top-ten/

Now I'llgo back to the beginning and read all the postings :)

(added on Feb 27th) - If I were to order the rAgas in the order of preference, It might look like

KalyANi

tODi

ShankarAbharana

bhairavi

kharaharapriya

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 27 Feb 2009, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

Bhairavi - Balagopala (MD), Kamakshi (SS), Rakshabettare (T)
Kalyani - Bhaja re (MD), Kamalambam (MD), Kanthimathim (Subbaraya Shastri), Pankaja Lochana (ST)
Kambhoji - O Rangasayee (T), Sri Subrahmanyaya (MD), Elara Sri Krishna (T)
Karaharapriya - Raasa keli (OVS), Samanam evvaru (T), Chakkani (T)
Shankarabharanam - Akshaya linga vibho (MD), Svara raga sudha (T), Sri Shankaracharyam (Subbaraya Shastri)
Todi - Dasarathi (T), Sri Krishnam (MD), Gajavadana (Kumara Ettendra)

vijay

Post by vijay »

Happy to work on the assignment, VK but we would need to know which specific rendition from Sangeethapriya (if at all). To begin with we could do an interim poll...will update results later today (if not already done by someone else in the interim)