500+ most frequently used telugu words in carnatic music

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
sridhar_ranga

500+ most frequently used telugu words in carnatic music

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Per VK's suggestion let us post the most frequently used telugu words/phrases in carnatic compositions...knowledge of these words will enhance the listeners' appreciation of the bhava/saahityam of the magnificent works of our great vaggeyakaras

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let me start :)
1. Telu^Ngu -- One of the sweetest among languages which is the foundation of CM..

byraju

Post by byraju »

Generally all the artists sing the kriti as

Raaga Suda rasa- The meaning being raagam is just like nectar.

Sudha-Amritham, Nectar-Supposed to be sung

Suda- no meaning-generally sung like raaga suda rasa. I am unable to match anywhere.

Sudda- chalk

Meaning: The raga is fully sweet and is comparable with amritham. If the meaning is understood their performance will have more value based.
Last edited by byraju on 03 Feb 2009, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

byraju

Post by byraju »

There is one more kriti,

Chuthamu Raree Sudatulara Rangapatini- What a wonderful composition by Thyagaraja. But unfortunately one artist (not to mention his and his guru's name) sings as Juthamu Raree which does not carry any kind of meaning in telugu. Highly disgraceful.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

Sad to see that this thread hasn't progressed much. : (
I really want to get started learning Telugu!

Let's see if I can start something...

Could someone explain all/most possible meanings of the word "kOri", with various examples? As in Ninnu Kori, the mohana raga adi tala varna, and of course, Viriboni Ninne Kori! And other instances if they carry different meanings.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

KOri is 'having begged'..

equivalents are the same in tamil and kannada.. Korike/ korikai is request.. Ninnu kori/ ninne kori means 'having begged you'.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

Ah, I see. Why is it "ninnu" in Ninnu Kori and "ninne" in Viriboni though?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ninnu is 'you' or unnai in tamizh, tumkO/ApkO in hindi.

ninnE is 'just/only (for) you' or unnaiyE in tamizh, tumhi kO/AphI kO in hindi

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

Oh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. : D

That makes five words so far then! Hopefully more people will ask/explain other common words.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I like the trend that is developing in this thread. Let us keep it going. Thanks Ravi.

As a bonus, we get to learn the equivalent words in Hindi as well. Great!

arasi

Post by arasi »

The lovely old tamizh word for it is viNNappam. ADiyEn viNNappam (vaishNavite expression).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

viNNa = pinched/broken/sliced (colloquial form of viNDa)
appam = sweetmeat
viNNappam = delicious piece of sweetmeat :)

vasanthakokilam

Along the 'You/I' line of words, there are few other words that seem to occur frequently.

nIku - You ( context? )
nIvu - You
nIvE ( you alone ? )

nannu ( I / me )

Other low hanging fruits are:

manasA ( mind ), hRdaya ( heart )
aparAdhamulu ( offense / punishment )
mannimpumu ( pardon )
abhimAnamu ( affection )
brova ( protect )
pAlimpa ( protect )
nija ( true )
marma ( secret )
nimishamu ( minute )
telisi ( knowing )
nIla maNi ( sapphire, literally blue pearl )
bAram ( weight )

lEdA (not)

vasanthakokilam

Here is another take on this lesson. I used Sri. Govindan's list of Tyagaraja krithi titles and created a histogram of words that occur two or more times. If we can fill out the meanings of these words, that will be a good first step. The number to the left of the word indicates the number of times they occurred in the title of the various thyagaraja compositions.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Nice VK Sir. Telugu knowing rasikas please enlighten us :P

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

WIth this VK's posting , I am composing a new pallavi line
vara nArada mAnasa Ananda kalyAna ramanA ;) , I am delegating ravi to give the meaning.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 12 May 2009, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

I am trying to give meanings to some of the words. Generally I tried to avoid words of Sanskrit origin where I felt I cannot give proper word in English. I request others to look into those words and also to correct any mistakes in what I gave. Further, as is the case with other Indian languages, the meaning has to be taken according to the context of the song / sentence. Also, a small change from shorter vowel to longer vowel at the end changes the meaning (eg. nErcina = having learnt, and nErcinA = inspite of having learnt / being learned). However as our rasikas are well exposed to CM, I hope they will figure it out.

nI = yours
daya = grace, kindness, symphathy, etc
rArA = come on!, to invite
nannu = me, myself
nE = shorter form for ‘nEnu’ meaning I, me,
nA = my
bhajana = prayer (song)
rAdA = (asking) will it not come, happen, etc as per context. eg. Tyagaraja asks rAmA ‘nI daya rAdA’ - meaning Oh rAmA, will your grace never comes to me.
ninu = "ninnu"

vasanthakokilam

Thanks very much isramesh. That is going to be of great use to a lot of rasikas and musicians.

I did a similar histogram on the entire sahitya of all the tyagaraja compositions from Sri. Govindan's database. Here are the top 500. The number to the left of the word is not a count from the compositions themselves but a count in in Sri. Govindan's document ( which includes commentary ) but the relative frequency should be close enough to the actual compositions. ( except the high runner thyagaraja is left out ). Several words appear in both lists, you can give the meaning of the new entires in the second table. Also, I did not do any manual review of the output of my script, so some english words may have snuck in there and other such anamolies.
Please note that in the transliteration scheme that Sri. Govindan uses, sri is written as zri etc.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

I shall try to give the meanings later today (or at the most tomorrow)

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

WOW! A whole lot seems to have happened here while I was asleep. Very rapid developments, I must say.

Wonderful work, vasanthakokilam! That was much needed. Are you a programmer then? Or did you use some software that was already available?

vasanthakokilam

isramesh: Thanks. Please take your time. I updated the above list by running my scripts again and picked the top 500 words. This list is 100% automatically produced with no manual editing. The previous one involved some editing on my part which I avoided in this list. Because of 100% automation and no manual review/edit, some english words may have snuck in and there can be few other anamolies.

500 words may be overwhelming. We can work on this slowy and steadily.

vasanthakokilam

>Or did you use some software that was already available

On a whim, I started writing some UNIX scripts last evening to organize the words from Govindan's invaluable database here: http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.com/

I saved his database as a txt document and ran it through the scripts. For interested parties who can speak UNIX, here is the gobbledegook

Code: Select all

cat ThyagarajaVaibhavam.txt | sed 's/-.*$//' | sed 's/ /n/g' | grep "(.*)"| sed 's/[,!;?.]//' | grep -v "(.)"| sort | uniq -c | sort -r | grep " (.*)" | sed 's/(//' | sed 's/)//' | split -l 50
paste -d, xaa xab xac xad xae xaf xag xah xai xaj
The first line creates the histogram and then splits them into chunks of 50. The second line creates a comma-separated-value (csv) file of 10 such chunks organized side by side for a total of 500 words. This .csv fie can then be opened in Excel.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

Ah yes, I've been going through Govindan's work for the past week or so. Also downloaded the PDF versions. Indeed an invaluable resource. I hope to do something similar with Balamurali compositions, eventually. Since I don't have any source of his compositions, and I've just about started learning Telugu, it looks I'll have to trouble Lakshman and keerthi and rshankar and isramesh and various others here, lol. But then I'm quite lazy and this will proceed really slowly.

A UNIX user, eh? : o
I've been using Ubuntu myself since I bought my laptop nearly a year ago. But I have a long way to go with bash scripting before I can make sense of your script. Gotta learn RegExp too. The more I learn about you, the more interesting you get (in a good way of course!), if I may say so, hehe.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Along the 'You/I' line of words, there are two other words that seem to occur frequently.

nIku - You ( context? )
nIvu - You
nIvE ( you alone ? )

nannu ( I / me )

Other low hanging fruits are:

manasA ( mind ), hRdaya ( heart )
aparAdhamulu ( offense / punishment )
mannimpumu ( pardon )
abhimAnamu ( affection )
brova ( protect )
pAlimpa ( protect )
nija ( true )
marma ( secret )
nimishamu ( minute )
telisi ( knowing )
nIla maNi ( sapphire, literally blue pearl )
bAram ( weight )

lEdA (not)
Some minor corrections:

nIku - for you, unakku, tumkO
nIvu - you (with respect), nIr, nIngaL, Ap
nIvE - 'even'/'only' you, nIrE, nIngaLE, Ap bhI
nannu - me, ennai, mujhE
lEdu - not, illai, nahIn
lEdA - is it not?, illaiyA?, nahIn?
abhimAnamu - pride, abhimAnam, abhimAn
Last edited by rshankar on 13 May 2009, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Ravi. As usual, the tamil equivalent helps tremendously to relate to the words intimately and the equivalent hindi word is a great learning opportunity. Over time we can organize this along "Telugu English Tamil Hindi" along with Kannada and Malayalam if volunteers can help out there. For now, we will take the meanings as they come along and collate and organize them later on.

Thanks.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

abhimAnam- also means liking or love(pyAr)- as in 'sItApatE nApai nIkkabhimAnamu lEdA?

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Inspired by vasanthakokilam's awesome work, I wanted to see what Wordle would do with Lakshman's Tyagaraja corpus.

Here it is (click on the image to see the real thing):

Update: Here's a similar exercise with the Lakshman Dikshitar corpus.

And to round it out:

Last edited by gn.sn42 on 13 May 2009, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Awesome, gn.sn42! Great material for a rasikas.org T-shirt or Shawl which we can all wear with great abhimAnam!

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Thanks, vasanthakokilam - that's a great idea, by the way. Wordle allows free use of these images under a CC-BY license (attribution is required).

Getting a little carried away, I put in the rasikas.org forum URL into Wordle to get this:

Last edited by gn.sn42 on 13 May 2009, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Superb! gn.sn42!!
Thanks!

chetana

Post by chetana »

a couple of additions

rArA = come on!, to invite

(this takes on a more familiar tone - similar to vA DA)

Kula = caste, class

clan/dynasty (e.g. raghukula, taranikula sanjata etc)

Toil = first, foremost

toli

Suta = son

actually a daughter

sutudu is son

Sukhamu = peace, happiness, joy, etc

also comfort

mA = ours

also our (possessive variant )

kanna = one who gave birth to

1. also one who was given birth (depending on the context)

e.g. nannu kanna talli --> oh mother who gave birth to me

na kanna koduku--> the son i gave birth to

2. also having seen ((related to kannu)

3. than (inta kanna anandamemi - is there happiness greater/more than this?)

kana = seen

not sure about this

vAni = saraswati, sArada (goddess of letters)

also one's speech/words
tanaku = his, him

to him/her (tana is gender-neutral)

rArE = (emphasizing that someone) will not come

also do come or why dont you come (plural) as in sriganapatini sevimpa rare

guru = teacher

also father

gati = speed, velocity. Also status, choice.

also path, destination

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

chetana wrote: *********************
Toil = first, foremost
toli
Suta = son
actually a daughter
sutudu is son
vAni = saraswati, sArada (goddess of letters)
also one's speech/words
suta is son in sankrit-ish usages and sutA is daughter.. in pure telugu, however all words of sanskrit origin which are feminine and end in a long aa - sItA/ lalitA/ kalpalatA are spelt and pronounced as sIta/lalita/ kalpalata..

vAni is his/that person's as in ala vAni..

vANI is sarasvati or speech..

p.s - couldn't the final translation list be alphabetical, for convenience..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

pps I think chetana means that toil should be replaced by toli..

ppps -
Vinay wrote: it looks I'll have to trouble Lakshman and keerthi and rshankar and isramesh and various others here, lol.
Dear vinay,
let me disabuse you of any illusions you have about me and telugu.. I have almost no telugu; and what little i know, I learnt a certain Thyagabrahma Mc.ramabrahma..
Last edited by keerthi on 13 May 2009, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

gn.sn42 - great work.

I actually tried to check if 'rendition' had made it into your wordle exercise with this URL...not sure, but it looks like we're safe! :P
Last edited by rshankar on 13 May 2009, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

rshankar, I'm glad you like Wordle's rendition of rasikas.org :)

(By the way, I did not do any "work" - I just stuck the text or URL into Wordle, which did the rest.)
Last edited by gn.sn42 on 14 May 2009, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

keerthi wrote: Dear vinay,
let me disabuse you of any illusions you have about me and telugu.. I have almost no telugu; and what little i know, I learnt a certain Thyagabrahma Mc.ramabrahma..
I did notice that you were sometimes unsure when providing translations or meanings, but still, you do know something, and you take effort too. Plus, you always make it clear when you're not completely certain of what you've said. I think you could be helpful. : )

vasanthakokilam

isramesh, ravi, chetana, keerthi: Whenever you can, provide meanings and context commentary for the words. No real hurry and I realize you are all busy. I thought I will bump this thread to the top so it is not forgotten.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sure, could you take the words from that matrix image and mail them to me/ post them here in a copy-paste-able format for convenience...

vasanthakokilam

keerthi, since the spreadsheet does not display properly here, I e-mailed it to you. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kOri is not just begging. 'Appealing' is apt in many instances. tamizh: kOrikkai (n); kannada has kOrike, I think.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

All the words aren't telugu, some are sanskrit..

The words are listed in descending order of frequency of appearance.. Am trying to do it in instalments... translations are in english, tamizh,kannada, hindi order..

1. 340 nI - your, unnuDaya,ninna, tumhArA, (nI bhajanagAna-rasikula = people who enjoy singing your praises)

2. 262 ani - ?, enru/enbadu, anta/andarE, ? (rama-(y)ani chapalAksula pEru = rAmA enral a name for courtesans)

3a. 233 SrI - ?, tiru, SrI,..A sanskrit word with usage as old as the samhita of the vedAs, it is used as a honorific prefix. also used to indicate the best, most auspicious/propitious..(srI-kara, srIda etc mean one who causes/gives good/nalam/mangaLa)

3b. srI - laksmI generally used by thyAgarAja as a compound with a word for lord, to mean ViSNu/rAma(srI-pathE nI pada, srInAyaka kSamiyincumu)

rarely used in the sense of srI by herself (srI-vanithA-hrt-kumuda, srI-vanitA-chitta-kumuda, srI-mAninI-manOhara etc..)

4. 218 nA - my, enn(-uDaya), nanna, mErA..(]nA moralanu vini = listen to my entreaties)

5. 198 rAma - The name of thyAgaraja's ishTa deva - rAma, treated as the trEta-yuga avatAra(I won't say 7th 0r 8th) of ViSNu..

6. 188 nuta - A sanskrit word meaning worshipped, vaNangappaTTa,namaskarisalpatta, ?
X-nuta means worshipped by X..

words with more or less the same meaning include nata, sannuta,pUjita,(kara)-archita, vandita.. pUjya,vandya convey the same meaning approximately..

7.166 vara - a sanskrit word for best..syn.Uttama (RaGhuvara = best of the raghu clan, naravara = best among men)

8. 148 nannu - me, ennai, nanna(nnu), muJhe/muJhkO.. (raghuvara nannu marava taguna = O best of RaGhus, does it befit you to forget me ?)
In poetry this can be replaced by nanu(like enai for ennai in tamizh)

9. 144 ninnu - to you?, unnai, ninna(nnu), tumhe/tumko.. (ninnu bAsI ara nimiSamorvanu = I can't stand seperation from you, even for half a second)
this in poetry can also transmute to ninu (see nannu above)

10. 143 nIvu - You, nI/nIr,nInu/nIvu, tum/Ap [all singular] (nIvu brovavalE)

Comments about presentation, things to be included,avoided.. and corrections are awaited..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Agreed about Kori, appeal is a better translation than beg.. I wasn't satisfied with it, either..
I could remember entreat and supplicate but not appeal, funny, how brains work..

vasanthakokilam

Keerthi, format looks good, especially the multiple languages and the example usage where you use some words which you had provided meaning earlier. It is buiding up nicey. Thanks very much.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keetrhi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think for 'kOri', 'depending upon'/'seeking'/'desiring' would also work.

ninnE kOri vaccinadi - unnaiyE nambi/nADi/vENDi vandirukkirAL - tumhArE hI bharOsE mein/cAh mein AyI hai - depending on/seeking/desiring no one but you, she has come

arunk

Post by arunk »

Excellent! This thread would be a gold mine of information.

Arun

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rshankar,

nambi/bharosE seems fine, but desire can only be seen as a secondary meaning; the link may be beg ~ appeal ~ wish ~ want ~ desire.. the connection is there, but seems rather tenuous.. Serious telugu knowers/speakers should clarify..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

the next instalment..

11. 134 nIku - to you, unakku, ninage, tumkO? (nIku tanaku rNa-rnI-bhAvamu =a debtor's relationship with respect to you )
the problem with translation into english is that it doesn't recognise the case endings well.. Only people who know kannada or tamizh or the other indian languages can get difference between say nIku and ninnu, both of which appear to be the same from my inadequate posting..

12. 133 pAhi - A sanskrit word which means protect (me)! conveys both the imperative and the supplicative moods.. (pAhi rAma rAma)

13. 129 Emi - what, enna, yEnu,kyA (Emi cEsitEnemi = ennattai paNNal enna = what is the point of doing anything?)

14. 128 rAja - From the Sanskrit, ThyAgarAja has used this word variously, in the sense of king (rAjaN being the root word) and in the sense of moon(RAja being the root word)
When used as a suffix for any animate noun it generally means king/leader - amara/sura-rAja, gaja-rAja khaga-rAja etc..

When it is used as a prefix to a word meaning face[raja-vadana,rAjamukha etc.] or used along with a word for sun and then eyes{ina-rAja-nayana = one with the sun and moon for his eyes} the word means moon..

15. 118 Adi - To play, dance, work, act, Adi,Adi, karkE??
An auxillary? verb, can have several versatile uses, depending on the other verb it is found with..
[(nAd)Adina mata = the words spoken then; mataladi = having spoken]

16. 114 anucu - ?,yenru, anta, ?? (rama rama yanuchu.. = rAma rama yenru)

17. 110 nE - I,nA(N), nAnu, maiN - an easy one at last.. (nE pogaDakunTe = If I don't praise you..)

18. 104 kAni - (conj. denoting an alternative.) But, either, or, except, unless. And not, nor,
Also gAni if preceded by other words..
(rama nIvE gani nannu raKShincEvArevarU = RAma, who else, but you will protect me..)

19. 102 ella - all/everything, ellAm, ella(vu), sab kuch - adj. usually follows a noun(jEsinadella = paNNadu ellam = all that you did)

20. 97 nEnu - I, naN, nAnu, main - see ne above.. the difference is only one of form [nE : na = nEnu : nAnu/nAn] ()nEnendu vedakudurA = where shall I search for you)

21. 93 Ela - why, yAen, yAkE, kyOn (Ela nI daya rAdU = why haven't you graced me?)

22. 92 lEdA - isn't it there..?, illiyA, illavA, nahin hai kyA..?
The interrogative form of ledu meaning isn't (t)here.. (AbhimAnamu lEdA..? = don't you have love/pride/affection)

23. 92 daya - a sanskrit word for compassion, which exists in all languages.. As usual the ending long A for feminine words is truncated in telugu, transmuted in kannada and tAmizh, and retained in hindi(daya = dayai = daye = dayA) (daya sEyavayya = Lord/oy!be compassionate !)

24. 90 ayya - an untranslatable form of address typical of south indian languages where it can be intoned variously- respectfully, to mean master/lord or father; or to indicate familiarity or even as a threat, to mean oy fellow!(ennayya! for example) See above illustration.. tyAgaraja has used the word in several of the connotations..
When he says MAyayya it means my/our lord/father..

There are some arguments about the word ayya being a prAkrit form of Arya, which entered the other languages, but then I digress..

25. 82 parama - A Sanskrit import meaning absolute/ supreme/superlative.. consider parama-Anandam = absolute happiness/ bliss

I request telugu knowing members to add value to my hopelessly amateurish attempts..
Last edited by keerthi on 23 May 2009, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

keerti, do u want the meaning of SrI Sabdham according to SrIviSNu purANA?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sure, ksrimech