B RAjam Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

A disciple of ARI,heard thru the grapevine that there are few dikshitar krithis that only B rAjam Iyer knows even today. Lot of present musicians learn a lot from this vidwan. A nice article on this vidwan.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/05/04/stor ... 180300.htm

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Sangeethapriya (B RAJAM IYER) links

USA concert - 27th Oct 1989 (contribution - Raju Asokan)
01 Neranammithi-Kanada
02 Sadinchane-Arabhi
03 Evarani-Nadachintamani
04 Ramanatham-Pantuvarali
05 Epariya-Saranga
06 Amba Nannubrova-Todi
07 Palukukanda-Navarasa Kanada
08 Saraguna Palimpa-Kedara Gowla

12 Guhasaravana-Simendramadyamam

15 Slokam

(contribution - TVG)

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Very knowledgeable person indeed... if only he could sing with some semblance of shruti suddham.

And as far as Dikshitar Krithis go, the only person that knows more than B Rajam Iyer is Shrimathi DK Pattammal. She probably knows about 250 krithis of Shri Mutthuswami Dikshitar. It's no surprise since they both were taught by Justice TL Venkatrama Iyer. And Pattammal also learnt from Shri Ambi Dikshitar, Great Nephew of Shri Mutthuswami Dikshitar.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Not forgetting TLV's daughter-in-law Rukmini Rajagopalan...

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

Sri Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao was another who learnt Dikshitar kritis from Justice Venkatrama Iyer. While he is no more, son Sri Poorna Pragnya Rao is teaching Carnatic music in Singapore and student Charulatha Mani is a performing vocalist.

Sri Mahadeva Bhagavathar was another relatively unsung vidwan who was a treasure trove of Dikshitar kritis. He had learnt from Sri Vedanta Bhagavatar, who in turn had learnt Dikshitar kritis from Subbarama Dikshitar and also Ambi Dikshitar. If I remember right, Venkatrama Iyer learnt to some extent from Mahadeva Bhagavathar. Vocalist Smt. Gayatri Shankar has recently completed a doctoral thesis relating to Mahadeva Bhagavathar.
Last edited by karthikbala on 04 Feb 2009, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

vpadmana wrote:... if only he could sing with some semblance of shruti suddham.
huh??????

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

You have heard him "sing", I presume.

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

I have witnessed one Sri Mahadeva Bhagavathar and Swamiji Vimarshanandendra Saraswati (R.A.Puram) used to discuss the intricacies of Sri Chakra and Devi worship. Very rare unknown kritis were discussed.

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

vpadmana - Yes, I sure have heard him "sing". It is a rude awakening to me that my sense of shruti is so atrocious that I can't even pick up on people singing without a "semblance of shruti suddham" ;)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Saw this news item in The Hindu today.
Date:04/05/2009 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/2009/05/04/stor ... 480200.htm
A great loss to the CM world. Our condolences to the bereaved family.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 04 May 2009, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

My condolences to the family of the vidwan.

vidya

Post by vidya »

-Deleted-
Last edited by vidya on 04 May 2009, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

saianamika

Post by saianamika »

Rukmini Rajagopalan was the daughter-in-law of T R Venkatrama Shastriyar the great judge and not Shri T L V.
Last edited by saianamika on 04 May 2009, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

saianamika

Post by saianamika »

My condolences to the family of this great vidwan

arasi

Post by arasi »

saianamika,.
Sorry for the blooper. Thanks for correcting it.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

One of the best tributes for shri rAjam Iyer ,was by Dr V V Srivastava. It was one of the concerts atleast six years back held in sAstri hall. I had a chance to sit next to Dr V V Srivastava who was seated few rows behind Shri rAjam Iyer.

Sri Ramachandran is one of the finest or rather an all time great lalitha singer. A very detailed alApana unfolded with nAgai Muralidharan giving a splendid return. DR VV srivastava whispered to my ears ramachandran will sing hiranmayEEM lakshmeem ,the dikshitar composition. At the end of the krithi, DR V V Srivastava quizzzed me pointing out RAjam Iyer"Unakku avara theriyuma(DO you know him??)", I said "enakku theriyum Ana avar pAdi kettathu illai (I know him but I have not heard him singing)". rAmachandran ivaluvu nalla Dikshitar krithi pAdarathukku rAjam Iyer thAn kAranam (the reason why Ramachandran sang so beautifully is because of the shri RAjam Iyer )

More tribute about the vidwan in the below thread:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... -iyer.html
Last edited by rajeshnat on 07 Jun 2009, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.