Notation for kambodhi varnam- Misra Jathi jhampa talam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Would anyone have the notation + lyrics for the kamboji varnam in misra jathi jhampa talam "kamalakshi" ?
Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kamalAkSi ninnE kOriyunnadira. rAgA: kAmbhOji. m/jhampa tALA. Composer: Kunnakudi Krishna Iyer.

P: kamalAkSi ninnE kOriyunnadira karuNimpa manci samayamu sAmi
A: vimalAtmuDaina muktIshvara sadA bhaktuDaina muddu rAmalinga candra bhUpati
(alt) A: umApati velayu kOTIshvarapuramunna muddu rAmalinga bhUpati candra vinara
(ciTTasvara sAhitya)
I dharaNilO nIku sarisamAna yuvati guNamunu mrdu naya vacanamu ati rUpavati kuca
svarNa shikharamuga yunnadi nIpai marulugoni yunnadi sAmika nI daya valaciyunna cinnadi
C: nIkE tagurA nIrajAkSi komma
1: nI sATi dora lEdA lEdu gAda
2: dAni vinayamunu dAni abhinayamu dAni mATa ghanamu dAni mukhanayamu dAni rati phaNiti
3: madana shAstramunu delisi vinta vintaga gUDutsu samayamu nerigi surata pathamulato madi gUDunu
4: I dinamu shubhamu galugu dinamu bhaLi rasikuDa taruNi cEsina vratamu phalamu cEkoninadi
ElarA calamidElara nElara sukhamuga dEvara ipuDu mahArAja shrI vijaya muddu rAmalinga nrpati

Check your email.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Thanks sooo much for scanning the pages and sending to me but unfortunately i cant read tamil :(
I really appreciate your efforts though, i was touched, thanks again :)

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

can anyone point me to an audio of this varnam? would like to hear it.
Plus...i believe the language in telugu correct?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

http://sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Brinda-T ... mbhoji.wma ( mislabeled as YKK )

This is the first Misra Jampa varnam for me. I have not seen the notation but given the placement of the padagarbha stress that demarcates the pUrvAngA and uttarAngA in the charnam line, it makes sense if the song started on the 4th beat of the laghu. Is that how it is?

sathya_vrathan

Post by sathya_vrathan »

i think this is not the yadukulakambhoji varnam which brinda amma sings. its a different composition which has become rare now a days. this varnam is in kambhoji. you can find this in P.Sambamurthy's KARNATIC MUSIC (book-3).

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I learnt it recently...but my teacher is travelling aborad at the moment and i need notation in english :(

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Can some please translate the tamil version pleeeaaassseeee :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rasika911 wrote:Can some please translate the tamil version pleeeaaassseeee :)
Which one are you referring to?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Rasika911 is refering to the Kunnakkdi Krishna Iyer's varNA that I sent to him.
Rasika911: I have sent you a different varNA in roman script. Please check your email.

naaree

Post by naaree »

Rasika911 wrote:Can some please translate the tamil version pleeeaaassseeee :)
ஸ/ஸா - sa, ரி/ரீ - ri, க/கா - ga, ம/மா - ma, ப/பா - pa, த/தா - dha, நி/நீ - ni

vasanthakokilam

Lakshman, could you send me the notations please? I want to check out where the eduppu is as per the notation. Thanks.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I think it is samam.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Lakshman, could you send me the notations please? I want to check out where the eduppu is as per the notation. Thanks.
Samam

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Lakshman, Punarvasu and Rasika911. The notation does notate it as samam.

I do not think Misra Jathi Jampa thala is the right thala structure for this great varnam well. ( Nothing wrong with the varnam, it is a great composition, it is just a matter of what thala to associate with it )

It does not place the Major stress + kArvai on the arudhi/pada garbha pivot point appropriate for Misra Jathi Jampa ( which is the 8th beat ). Listen to the Charanam line. It happens on the 5th beat like a Adi Thala varnam. I understand that varnams do not have to follow that but they usually do, otherwise there is not too much point to a thala structure. ( e.g. ata thala varnams start on the 3rd beat and the first major stress is on the 6th beat consistent with the khanda laghu of ata thala ).

This varnam follows a format: Chatusra Jathi Laghu + Drutham + Chatusra Jathi Laghu. So Chathusra Matya thalam is a better thala for this varnam, I think.

Comments and corrections are most welcome. Thanks.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Listening to Brinda amma's rendition, I feel the word is 'nIrajAjksha' in the carNam- and not nIrajAkshi.

Gladfan

Re: Notation for kambodhi varnam- Misra Jathi jhampa talam

Post by Gladfan »

Hi I would like to revive this topic for two reasons:

1) If someone has the notations for this varnam, could they kindly forward them to me? Regards.

2) I am quite confused about this varnam. I have always associated this varnam as a Padavarnam in Kambodhi. However, after noticing this Brinda Amma clip which is noted as Yadukula Kamboji, I have begun to notice slight prayogams of Yadukula Kamboji, especially in the line "Karunimpa..." and the Mukthayi Swarams. Also, I assume that she is singing the varnam without the sahitya for the chitta swarams. Could someone please clarify?

Also, Lakshman Sir, are Chittai Swarams 2 & 3 in that order because Brinda Amma sings it the other way around...

Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There seems to be some confusion about this varNa.
The varNa that I have posted in post #2 is by Kunnakudi Krishna Iyer. The notation is, as sathya_vrathan mentioned, in vol 3 of Karnatic Music by P.Sambamurti.
The yadukulakAmbhOji varNa that Brinda sings (available at sangeethapriya) is by Vinai Kuppier/Tiruvettiyur Tyagayyar. Here are the lyrics of this varNa:

P: kamalAkSi ninnE kOri cAla gAciyunnadirA
A: vEmAruDa I velayu mA cakkani vENugOpAladEva I vELa
C: samayamu vEga rArA

There are a couple of other varNAs starting with kamalAkSi, one by M.D.Ramanthan in nATakuranji and the other by in rAmapriyA by Parameshvara Bhagavatar but since I do not have the lyrics for these I don't know what the pallavi line words are.
gladfan: Which notation would you like me to send you-the one by Kunnakudi or the one by Kuppier?

Gladfan

Post by Gladfan »

Thanks Lakshman Sir. Please send me the notation for the varnam by Kunnakudi Krishna Iyer.

I understand now, the varnam sung by Brinda Amma posted above by vasanthakokilam (Post #5) is actually the Kambodhi one I was looking for. Thank you.