DK Pattammal

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

What touching tributes...Beautiful picture..

Here is a touching tribute that Sri Vijay Siva wrote some years ago - I am sure that it would be a repeat for many of you, but others will enjoy it: http://www.krishnaganasabha.org/article ... 20Siva.pdf
Last edited by rshankar on 21 Jul 2009, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Thanks rshankar! A really excellent essay written beautifully by Vijay Siva. Thank you! =)

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

What an article about an illustrious guru! rshankar - many many thanks for sharing this.

-hari

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

A wonderful article indeed.. Its sad to see a legend like DK Pattamal pass away. Her music will remain in our hearts and minds forever.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Ravi for the link. Great article by Vijay Siva.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Just caught up with that great piece of writing by Vijay Siva.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Has anyone recorded the AIR National Programme that was broadcast last Sunday 19th July 2009. If so, could this be posted on sangeethapriya

It had the following items

DKP/Lalitha Sivakumar/Mangathayaru/Sivakumar/U. Narayanaswamy
================================================
varnam (missed it)
sri rama pAdama
saraswati nanipuDu - kalyANi
ikOnama swAmy - maNirangu
guruguhAya - sAma
kanakasabhApati - dhanyAsi
tani
shAnti nilava - tilang

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

arunsri wrote:Has anyone recorded the AIR National Programme that was broadcast last Sunday 19th July 2009. If so, could this be posted on sangeethapriya

Is already on S'priya..

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

keerthi , can you pls provide the link ??

Thanks

Arvind

prashant

Post by prashant »

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Awesome is one word for Vijay shiva's article.Thanks a million.A great human being we must say about Pattammal amma!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

malavi

Post by malavi »

Myself and a friend had visited Smt.D.K.P. few months back as we were told by one of her relatives that she was very sick. Seeing that majestic figure in bed,not able to get up without anyones help brough tears to our eyes.She was talking to us cheerfully and kissed our hands when we left.The smile was alwaysthere on her face.In toddays kalki vijay siva has paid a nice tribute to her.
she was an excellent teacher and one can write the words of any song during her concerts .she said she was very happy to hear her great grand daughter lavanya singin. LAVANYA ROMBANANNAPADARA she said with her sweet smile.
It is really a very great loss for carnatic music.my heartfelt condolences to her family members.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

rajeshnat wrote:5 generations of Smt DKP family
Where is the fifth?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Oops sorry 4 generations only and an accquired DIL as a fifth generation ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

I was able to meet Smt. Pattammal on February 18th of this year, thereby realizing one my my most cherished dreams. She was not in a condition to speak much, but along with Sri Ishwaran was able to bless me and my father. Being in the presence of Smt. DKP was a 'janma sAphalyam' for me. The warmth and innocence in her eyes were memories that I shall always carry with me. It's been a couple of weeks since she has left us, but somehow, the sadness still prevails...

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Vijay Shiva has done a nice tribute in Kalki about DKP amma.The highlight of the article is a rare pic Sachin Tendulkar bending down to DKP amma and speaking to her.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Wonderful tribute. I was particularly moved by the last paragraph.

http://www.flonnet.com/stories/20090814261609900.htm
Last edited by cienu on 28 Jul 2009, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu,

Thank you for that link - the whole piece was moving, not just the last paragraph...but I found Sri Ishwaran's comment to be particularly poignant.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ravi, yes, Sri. Ishwaran's comment was quite poignant and moving.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar wrote:Cienu,

Thank you for that link - the whole piece was moving, not just the last paragraph...but I found Sri Ishwaran's comment to be particularly poignant.

Yes, that comment by Sri Ishwaran too was extremely touching.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

cienu: thanks so much - the article has made my day

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

I am in tears

prashant

Post by prashant »

That piece touched me very deeply... have saved it to read again.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

rshankar wrote:I found Sri Ishwaran's comment to be particularly poignant.
Indeed.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

cienu
Thanks for bringiing the words of Easwaran ! I was really wondering how that nonagenarian was taking the loss of his beloved wife! It is a poignant lesson for all of us moving in that direction!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

CML, yes, that line shook me up pretty well, I could not do anything else for half an hour except to sit still, let it sink in, blow out and reflect. That powerful and highly personal statement tells me 'It is all about that'.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Every time a CM Icon disappears we express our grief and state how much CM will miss their loss. We tend to forget the pillars on which those icons were built. There would not have been a DKP were it not for Easwaran. As much as there would not have been a MS were it not for Sadasivam. We often fail to express an adequate measure of gratitude to the 'pillars'. I am sure in the midst of their irreparable loss it will be soothing for them to know how much we are indebted to them for the sacrifices they have made to gift us those beloved icons who we cherish.

Milton said most appropriately

They also serve who only stand and wait

Let me add accordingly along with the message of condolence to Easwaran our undying gratitude to him for supporting and shaping DKP over the years and presenting her to us CM Rasikas.

poojapac

Post by poojapac »

Yes, DKP was my guru's sister's mother-in-law. :(

mohan

Post by mohan »

Article about DKP singing for films
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/07/31/stor ... 540100.htm

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

cmlover, that is not only a very great point, but expressed with true humanity too.

I probably know less of the stories of such lives as DKP and other great artists of her generation than most of my co-rasikas, but it has occurred to me that, having overcome the orthodox background to take to the stage, all might have been lost without a husband that supported her. We are, indeed, very much indebted.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

nick H wrote: I probably know less of the stories of such lives as DKP and other great artists of her generation than most of my co-rasikas, .
Nick , i suggest you read a book called " carnatic summer " by Sri.V.Sriram ( think you should be aware of this ) and that book has some amazing info about great musicians.

Sorry for deviating from the topic friends..

Arvind...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mohan wrote:Article about DKP singing for films
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/07/31/stor ... 540100.htm
Is there a recording of the songs listed by Radnor Guy?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I do not think she got the kind of recognition she deserved. She was not just a musician, but a patriot and freedom fighter who used her art to propagate the struggle for Indian independence. She was unmarried then and people like Rajaji used to warn her not to do that as there was a chance of her getting arrested. But nevertheless she persevered and that too throughout her life. It is painful to see such relentless commitment go unnoticed. There was not even a State funeral. Remember, she is a recipient of the Padmavibhushan, points out an agitated Nithyasree.
It is heart-rending to read these comments by Nityasree. DKP is indeed a great patriot along with being a pioneer woman of the upper caste in CM. I personally knew and experienced how emotive her songs were during the Freedom movement. She took enormous risks singing those songs in rallies which was considered a treason punishable by death. Though she herself was not arrested there were several who sang after her fashion were arrested and beaten brutally. While those who actively supported the British and requested them not to grant independance are hailed as the Father of the country it is indeed shameful that DKP (just because she belonged to the wrong caste) has not been adequately recognized or even accorded a State Funeral!

Again DKP's service to Tamil in CM is enormous. It was she who breathed life into several songs of Bharathi as well as those of P Sivan. Those were the times when senior vidvaans used to walk out of CM concerts when Tamil songs were sung! I wish DKP had beeen adequately recognized by the Tamil community during her Final Journey. Perhaps they did, but living far away I have not seen it !

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

"She was not just a musician, but a patriot and freedom fighter who used her art to propagate the struggle for Indian independence."
I feel DKP should have been awarded the Bharat Ratna - she richly deserverd it.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The following Q & A speaks millions about how the demise of DKP was received by the TN establishment

கேளà¯ÂÂ

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

bigots

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Translation please

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Though it is painful I still translate for your benefit:

Q: Cho (editor of the magazine Thuklak) has said that the chief minister has not expressed condolence for the demise of the Musician D K Pattammal?
(from V Ananthi Madras-2)
A: J (Jayalalitha) has already done so, is that not enough for Cho? At least he (Cho) had this to find fault on the Doctor (CM)! Great!

(Reply by K Veeramani the leader of the DK and editor of the magazine 'viDuthalai')

arasi

Post by arasi »

It is never too late...
Forgetting for a moment her immense imprint on CM, forgetting the kind of human being she was, but just for the sake of her singing with fervor those great tamizh songs! For the way she sang every tamizh word in a crystal clear manner so that even a child could learn to sing those songs without making a mistake. For awakening a sense of patriotism among us by singing tamizh songs-- she needs to be honored by tamizh nADu.
avaL oru tamizhum pATTum vaLarta tAi (she was a mother figure who nourished tamizh and tamizh songs). I have no doubt MK and other leaders of TN hummed ADuvOmE paLLu pADuvOmE, veTRi eTTu dikkumeTTa, tonRU nigazhndadu, cinnanjiru kiLiyE and the countless songs they heard from all radios in the neighborhoods that they grew up in, the way they lined up to see movies like nAm iruvar.
When the government lavishes money on festivals and art projects of all kinds, it surely has to honor DKP by making her contributions known to future generations by celebrations every year with a festival, offering scholarships and offer studies of women like her, MS, MLV, KBS, other greats among men like SuddhAnanda bHArati, MMD and others, whose contributions to tamizh by way of muic is immense.
It is not necessary to have a statue in DKP's memory. Let there be living memorials for her kind so that their service to tamizh by way of music is well-recognized and this rich heritage is made available to the coming generations.
Ah, BArati who sang of freedom and the freedom of women. And the song birds who immortalized his verses!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well said arasi! She is a women liberationist too in a sense Bharati defined. The irony is that MK himself comes from a family with CM connections (I heard he trained to play nadaswaram as a boy!). It is in a way hilarious that MK who extols DK, belonging to DMK is failing to recognize DK P :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Let's be hopeful. His daughter Kanimozhi was trained in vINai and shows quite a bit of interest in CM. She is powerful too. Hope she exerts her influence both at home and in the cultural scene.

vainika

Post by vainika »

And one more on DKP titled 'Matriarch of music' by Gowri Ramnarayan
in the current Frontline (Volume 26 - Issue 16 :: Aug. 01-14, 2009)
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/stories/2 ... 609900.htm

Was particularly moved to read the following

The problem of "Who will marry a girl who performs in public?"

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2009, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

gamakam - well written articles. Keep writing

-hari

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

gamakam
simply fascinating. Please share more of your writings. There are gems of information I have never heard before. Also share anecdotes that you know of other musical giants separately.

Many thanks...