KB Sundarambal and SG Kittappa

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Last edited by ragam-talam on 14 Aug 2009, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ragam-talam,
Thanks for KBS. Made my day. Now go to 'murugA unnaip pADum'which I found on the side. You would love it! That was a thrilling scene for me when I first saw the movie. avvaiyin sAram.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Dear Arasi, so glad you enjoyed the clip.

Yes, the one you referred to is just wonderful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zgx1UuvN0
(lovely ragamalika)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I realise this "thread' is about KBS--but I would like to associate this with SGKittappa(SGK). I do not know how many readers are familiar with SGK's music-SGK died prematurely at the age of 28 of alcoholism but during the short span thro his dramas he set the CM music stage on fire--SSI used to comment(they were contemporaries although SGK never took the concert circuit) I believe,that SGK would simply overshadow his contemporaries--so electrifying was his music. His "famous "KODAYILE"is simply breathtaking Ragamalika--Panthuvarali,Bilahari,Kapi,Neelambari and Madhyamavathy.
If any of the readers can post a clip if available that would be very emlightening to practitioners.
Each of the ragas had some unusual forays that were simply breath-taking.
KBS was attracted to him for the music and was faithful and loyal to him and to his memory throughout her life-- Their duo,I have heard my mother and uncle say was superb and the box office in the late twenties and early thirties yielded rich returns--especially in madras at the Wall Tax Theatre. KBS was independently wealthy and was extremely generous to her accompaniments--often paying them twice or thrice what they would get accompanying other Vidwans(Ghatam Vaidyanathan who played for MLV and also DKP told me this over thirty years ago)
SGK was incorrigible in his drinking habits and KBS put up with lot of sleight and insensitivity but was steadfast in her devotion to him and his music(SGK was married before ,yet KBS's fidelity to SGK was exemplary). he used to address her (half-affectionately and half-jokingly ) as "KODUMUDI KURATHI"(KBS is from Kodumudi).

SGK sang Ellorayum Polave(Suddha Saveri) in one of his records--KBS sang the same tune in Avvayyar film.She had a sonorous voice ideally suited for the stage as in those days there was no mike and the artistes had to reach the farthest audience in the theater.

Some of the famous pieces sung by SGK are: Saravanabhava in Kalyani,the Kambodhi viruttham,Mahasukritha Rupa Sundari--each gem in its own way==totally unorthodox in the sangathis but full of verve and imagination.

AIR Madras I believe has SGK's records in their "archives". I am not aware of any celebrations in Chennai or elsewhere for his 100th Birth centenary(2007). I would like to know if there were any and if so whether the accounts can be accessed.

SGK was the only musician who says his name at the end of the song in one of his records(I do not remember which one!!--it ends up with :My name is S.G.Kittappa--just because there was a brief gap at the end of the recording and SGK impromptu filled the gap--it used to sound funny listening to it when I was growing up(we used to play those records in the old record player with a handle ,ad nauseum much to the chagrin of the household members.!!

SGK made a great impression on my musical sensibilities and when I was young I had lots of fun imitating his Gamakams!!

He and KBS made a great pair.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

MKR - here's a video clip of Kittappa that I found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOInk943TnQ

Great stuff.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RMK
You seem to have forgotten SGK's most famous 'Evarani..'

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

It sounds good in that youtube despite the poor quality, so I can imagine listening to that sonorous voice sitting in the front rows.. did GNB take cues from Kitappa's style and brighas?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

After SGK, T R MAHALINGAM was referred to as successor toSGK His voice was just like that of SGK I have referred to another singer actor Bhavani Sambamurthy who acted in DAKSHAYAGNAM IN light classical thread . His famous song was 'unnale anro ullam maghizhnden' But there was no follow up. Even google has not been useful. Sorry to deviate from the subject . gobilalitha

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CMlover: My apologies--act of omission rather than commission--re; Evarani,Mokshamu(where he started the trend of starting the song with the anupallavi-Sakshat).

Skris; answer re;GNB is Yes-all of them would attend his plays in Chennai at the Wall Tax Theater "in cognito"(although SGK would have gladly obliged them with front row tickets). Semmangudi Mama's words"
"Avan Padumpodu enga vayithile puliyai karaikkum"--what if he chooses the concert platform in competition with us(both of them were contemporaries--SGK was a year older than Semmangudi mama.

What a glorious era that was when the likes of TNR,SGK influenced how musicians treated raga elaboration breaking away from the rigid traditions of that age(very appropriate for those times I might add--especially the 1920's).

Vidyarthis,please note--whether you are male or female SGK's raga flashes need to be observed closely--a trifle unorthodox but nonetheless breathtaking and inspirational. The Brikas were rendered with gamakam(that itelf is a contradiction!!).

Note some o f GNB's Bilahari alapana--the finishing 'arc' for the Raga--GNSir would take a leaf out of SGK's book--I am told SGK had brief training under Muthiah Bhagavathar(the proximity of Shencottah to harikesanallur was a favorable factor

Re; actor TR mahalingam--he was also from the same place and the most ardent fan of SGK--he imitated SGK but SGK's brikas had more weight and Bhavam!! I have not heard of Bhavani Sambamurthy and would love to if somebody would post a piece!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »