Trichur V. Ramachandran

Carnatic Musicians
mohan

Post by mohan »

Nice article about one of my favourite musicians - Sri TVR.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/12/01/stor ... 430600.htm

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

the only mikeless concert I ever heard was Trichur Ramchandran's.
1982 at Krishna Gana Sabha , there was a disruption in power supply and he called all of us -backbenchers- to the front row and continued.after 20 minutes or so ,when the power supply was restored , he enquired if the mikeless concert was going on well with us and requested the Organisers to let the concert continue as mikeless.
It was a fine concer..
Though in the next two decades I often felt that he should have been less loyal to his masters style and broken away into something more original.He would have then joined the illustrious group of disciples who carved out a niche for themselves ..But that is just a personal opinion...

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/df9m

here is a fine brindavan saranga -in the company of our inimtable M Chandru(eagerly looking forward to him accompanying Manakkal today !)

mohan

Post by mohan »

I remember Sri TVR telling me he has performed a mic-less concert with Palghat Mani Iyer at the massive Shamukhananda Sabha in Mumbai.

Some of his raga elaborations like in Kambhoji and Thodi are the best I have heard.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Well Sri TVR had also rendered a mike-less concert in Gokhale Sastri Hall, Luz Corner, Chennai for "Saraswati". The accompanying artists were MSA and TKM. I could not hear MSA's violin at all because TKM was drowning him with his percussion. As one of the listeners I stood up and pointed this out. TVR asked me to sit in the front row and listen to him. Yet, MSA's violin could not be heard because of the noise from mridangam.

Such experiments might give us a consolation that we are trying to protect the tradition; but then, the acoustics of the hall should be first considered before venturing into the same. For instance, in the aforesaid concert, there was so much of echo that TVR did not want a mike. But the audience left the hall after the concert totally dissatisfied. The organisers must have chosen some other venue.

TVR is a great and exemplary artist. His rendition of "Upacharamu" in Bhairavi will always be remembered for its purity. His singing style would immediately remind anyone of GNB first than anything else.

Kaumaaram
Last edited by kaumaaram on 01 Dec 2006, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

TVR is an excellent replica of GNB. but usually cold climates do not suit his voice.

jhnlasik

Post by jhnlasik »

Yes, TVR is faithful to his master, however , in my opinion TVR is a bad clone of his master.
For instance take Balu, MLV, SK they were all faithful to the master but they had their own bani too.
One should evolve a style according to the texture of his/her voice, TVR has a much better
voice , but he chose to imitate GNB and he did succeed too , however, he could not match
GNB's manodharma .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I have heard TVR only 2 concerts in the last 2 years, one in Academy where the concert was average with his main in kalyAni not that impressive .Other one was good where it was dedicated to his guru , that was memorable especially a ranjani krithi of gnb.

I am told by an elderly gentleman in my accquintance that he is someone who does not prefer to market much in the sabhas ,instead he only takes concerts which comes to him(no KAkA pudichufying...). May be that attribute has taken him little away from most of the rasikas like me.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Dec 2006, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks very much Meena. That was an excellent interview. I was especially taken by the answers to the last question. What he says there is worth considering for the variuos other activities, professional and personal, that we all undertake. If GNB and MLV had to prepare, I better cut down on 'just winging it' at work ;)

The last line is the essence...though easier said than done.
My guru, even when he was performing at his peak, had accompanied Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer on tambura, just for the sake of listening closely to the vidwan. GNB used to repeatedly say that he was only a vidyarthi (student) and not a vidwan (scholar). Humility alone will help you learn more and more and become a successful musican.
I have seen my gurus GNB and MLV doing a lot of homework for each of their concerts. The hall used to get filled with music once the first item was performed on the stage. I find this aspect missing in most of the concerts of today. Semmangudi used to keep aligning the tambura sruti from early morning for an evening concert. Palghat Mani Iyer used to keep his mridangam set to sruti for the whole day and still look for a perfect matching of the sruti in the evening concert. Such a dedication to the performance is absolutely necessary. If one realises his own strengths and weaknesses and try to improve under the guidance of a guru, today's generation can do wonders.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

rajeshnat wrote:I have heard TVR only 2 concerts in the last 2 years, one in Academy where the concert was average with his main in kalyAni not that impressive .Other one was good where it was dedicated to his guru , that was memorable especially a ranjani krithi of gnb.

I am told by an elderly gentleman in my accquintance that he is someone who does not prefer to market much in the sabhas ,instead he only takes concerts which comes to him(no KAkA pudichufying...). May be that attribute has taken him little away from most of the rasikas like me.
I have heard that, apart from his other good qualities, TVR is also a person above the usual politics of music sabhas. An uncle of mine who was devoted to music and used to organize a small sabha in Thanjavur (and that too with great difficulty because it was nearly impossible to find a ticket-buying audience) told me "the sabha circle is a 'saakkadai' (gutter)" in which not only sabha organizers but also musicians participated in seamy tactics. He has seen the backstage behavior of many a star musician.

I guess that music like all other walks of life has its good and bad. While we need not sully the bad, we should not hesitate from celebrating the good. So kudos and long life to TVR and all other vidwans who uphold their dignity even outside the public gaze.

-then paanan

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

VK,
i'm very touched by your quote about the humilities of sishyas. unless the sishyas display such kind of humility how the gurus can contimue to haunt us with shaking voices and sliding srutis! long live guru sishya parampara! let the sishyas grow to the stature of gurus in their sixties and seventies to 'paduthify' their sishyas! till then let them continue with sruti boxes flask and vethalai potti!
Last edited by chalanata on 25 Feb 2007, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

he he chalanata :) check if your looking glass is half empty. :D

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

:lol:
Last edited by chalanata on 26 Feb 2007, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lovely read! Thanks, Meena.
on that auspicious and joyous day the incomparable Trinity of Bhataratna M S Subbulakshmi, Padma Vibhushan D K Pattammal and Padma Bhushan Dr M L Vasanthakuamri sang together the traditional Oonjal song to the ecstatic delight of the Cosmic Gods and the terrestrial audience present on that occasion!
What a wonderful event that must have been! TVR and Charumati are indeed lucky!

meena

Post by meena »

ur welcome :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ecstatic delight of the Cosmic Gods and the terrestrial audience present on that occasion!
This reminds me of the interprettation of the nAdaswara vidwAn who corrupted the lyrics of tAyE yaSOdA:
'vAnOrgaL ellAm magizha, mAniDar ellAm pugazha (nIla vaNNa kaNNan nartanam ADinAnDI) amudUrum iSaiyin talaiviyar lAli pADinAraDI'

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I have also heard that as great of a vidwan as he is, he still remains in the olden day sterotypes of not letting women accompany him...seems like a shame.

mohan

Post by mohan »

V SUNDARAM wrote:He told me that the most memorable recital was given by him in the early phase of his career without a mike at Bombay Shanmukananda Hall in 1972 accompanied by V V Subramaniam on the Violin and Palghat Mani Iyer on the Mridangam.
See my earlier post!!
Last edited by mohan on 04 Mar 2007, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

V. Ramachandran has released nArAyaNa bhaTTAdri's nArAYanIyam through HMV. It was first released as a 5 cassette set (90 mins each). Now, I guess, It is available as a set of 10 - 45 min tapes.

Following is what Smt. Charumati Ramachandran had to recall during a drive to a concert.

This was recorded in 1975, I believe, days when AC was not a feature in the studios and I believe that something called punch card technique was used. A sanskrit pandit would sit and ensure that each word is pronounced the way it should be. There were so many times that each verse had to be recited to get it perfect, and also during recording, it had to come perfect. It was a very very tiring yet a very fulfilling and rewarding experience.

What we have now is probably one of the best and complete rendition of the magnum opus.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

A thorough professional, and a gentleman, is what TVR strikes me as. In 2004 December I went to a concert of his in Chennai with the granduncle (at some high school, I forget the name), and he had already attended a couple of other concerts of TVR a few days before this (GNB fanatic that he is), TVR sang Mohanam (Bhuvanathraya) and Madyamavathi (Saravanabhava) which greatly displeased the granduncle because apparently the song set was almost identical to another concert he had given a few days ago (I suppose the desire to hear different compositions runs in the family), and after he reached home, the next day actually called up TVR and spent the better part of a half hour to say what he liked and what he disliked about his concert, and TVR (and his wife who had answered the call initially) took the criticism very well, listened to all he had to say and actually thanked the granduncle for his feedback. A real gentleman.

I recall a complex RTP of his wife Charumathi here in Singapore. IIRC it was set to Kanda gathi Kanda Triputa, in Sahana, "Raghupathe raghuveera raghunayaka raghuvara ra ra phanishayana", with a ragamalika in Sahana, Huseini, Hamsadwani, Panthuvarali and Harikambhoji, ending in the respective phrases. It sounded a bit contrived towards the end but the tala prowess was pretty apparent (And thankfully the standard behag sindubhairavi was absent). Their daughter also sang here, a Sankarabharanam RTP in Kanda gathi adi talam. A few rough edges but otherwise very very good.

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

what does IIRC mean? Is it "In the interest of the Rasika Community" ??

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

If I Remember Correctly!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

If I recall/remember corrctly.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

In his MIT concert that I have, TVR often breaks out into swaras while singing raga alapanai. I've never heard people do this before, and he does it in a way that's quite educational because he even sings brigha sangathis with swaras and it's nice to be able to "visualise" the swara patterns that constitute a particular sangathi. Does TVR do this often in his concerts?

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

bilahari wrote:In his MIT concert that I have, TVR often breaks out into swaras while singing raga alapanai. I've never heard people do this before, and he does it in a way that's quite educational because he even sings brigha sangathis with swaras and it's nice to be able to "visualise" the swara patterns that constitute a particular sangathi. Does TVR do this often in his concerts?
I have heard Voleti and Nedunuri sing swaras during the alaap. Listen to the revathi alapana of Voleti (Hyd concert) and Nedunuri's kalyani alapana sung in 1961 or 62?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Never heard swaras in alapana from TVR before
Last edited by mohan on 11 Aug 2009, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Folks,

I used to own a TVR concert where he sang this magnificent kirthana of Purandaradasa in Sankarabharanam, with swaras followed by a grand thani:
enthA celuvage magaLanu koTTanu girirAjanu nODammamma

It was a Bombay concert I think, with an RTP in Sanmukhapriya, violin was M Chandrasekharan and mridangam was UKS. What made it even more special was that TVR had a bad sore throat that day and still managed a great concert.

Unfortunately the cassettes I had were completely ruined, and along with 50 other rare concerts I lost this one too. While I can recover some of the others I really would like to know if anyone has this particular krithi sung by TVR or this concert that I am referring to.

I dont normally post requests for songs or concerts but it would be great if someone can help with this.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

coolkarni wrote:Those fingers of MSG-UKS ... I could Kiss them as though they belonged to the Pope's.
Dhanya Ho - We all.
Who live during their times.
Definitely sir... thanks a lot..

Arvind...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

:cool:
Yes indeed it is atleast excellent . If you did not tell me the artist name , I would have thought it was either young manakkAL rangarAjan (during lathAngi) and as young GNB(during marukelara-jayanthashri) and an undecided manakkAl(during mohanam alApanai) or GNB (during the krithi rendition of rA rA rAjeeva-mOhanam)

I am assuming he sang lathangi , jayanthasri and mOhanam in succession and was recorded continously in the tape.Maintaining this kind of kAlapramanam and vocal finesse is indeed very very noteworthy, this is a great trichur rAmachandran audio. TR-MSG- UKS(see how UKS lifts the concert in mohanam and tani) simply rocked.Not even a minute of sag.

I am assuming after mohanam as main ,with he going to senchukAmBODhi and bhairavam possibly there is a sure RTP. But he going to unnadiyE gAthi eNran aDaindhen in bahudAri (my favourite GNB as a composer) is still a good finish.WHo knows may be there was a RTP after that?

sbala

Post by sbala »

Great concert. Thank you.

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Where is the concert? Deleted perhaps?

cpblog

Re: Trichur V. Ramachandran

Post by cpblog »

Friends,

Inviting you all to a 1974 concert of the Vidwan in Parvathi, Mysore http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/. He is accompanied by Vidwans M. Chandrasekharan (Violin), Vellore Ramabhadran (Mridangam) and H.P Ramachar on the Khanjira.

We have also shown two contrasting photographs (a 1970 picture posted earlier when he visited "Parvathi") and a recent photo (borrowed from The Hindu on his 50 years of eminent service).

Thanks,,,,and please enjoy....

drohit

Post by drohit »

Sri TVR and his wife Charumathi are gems in the Carnatic music field.

He had a concert in Austin and i had the pleasure of their company for a couple of days. Mama is very friendly and down to earth. What I remember the most is after the concert and dinner when everyone else had retired to bed, he spoke of how he learned some songs from Sri Bhimsen Joshi. He also beautifully demonstrated many phrases in the Hindusthani style.

I hope they both get Sangeetha Kalanidhis soon.

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

Inviting you all to a 1974 concert of the Vidwan in Parvathi, Mysore http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/. He is accompanied by Vidwans M. Chandrasekharan (Violin), Vellore Ramabhadran (Mridangam) and H.P Ramachar on the Khanjira.
This blog is a treasure/gem ! Thank you so much. I have been meaning to thank you forever for this yeoman service.

I agree with drohit on Shri Ramachandran. For many many years, we lived next street to him, and had the pleasure of his company on multiple occasions. His devotion to his guru GNB is matchless.

The quality that stands out most in his singing (to me) is "vistaaram" or expansiveness. I had a recording of a great private concert at a relative's residence where he sang the most wonderful (and elaborate) Madhyamavati, with Chandrasekharan Sir sabashing him million times. Sadly I lost the tape when i moved from Michigan to California.

His voice is so rich that it can carry really well even in a mikeless setting. Two incidents come to mind: one a brilliant concert in the CLT at IITM when the power went out, but he continued singing, and you couldn't even notice the difference, and the other when he sat down to sing in front of Periyaval (Jayendra Sarasvathi Svamigal) in Sankara School (I think) in Thiruvanmiyur where we could hear him clearly (its been many years now but i am almost certain there was no mike) despite all the commotion with other "festivities".

Sadly so many less deserving people have got the SK in recent years, while he (and so many others) has had to wait.

Sridhar.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

* Listened to his singing own composition Pahimam .....vageshwari..in Kalyani.in MW 720. Reminded of" Sundari of" Thiagaraja for the long stanzas.caranam...(One technical question to the Upload king TVG -Is MW not record friendly?)
*Any more in circulation.?

CRama

Post by CRama »

THe song you are referring to is Paahimam Sree Vaageeswari in Kalyani- Second day Navarathri Kriti of Swati Thirunal. He has rendered this many times in the Navarathri Mandapom in his inimitable manner. If you want, I can share with you.

CRama

Post by CRama »

For your another question, MW is quite record friendly.

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

Rumour has it in Delhi that Trichur Ramachandran will be the Sangeeta Kalanidhi this year. Surprising how the grapevine has not started buzzing in Chennai.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Thank you . . Rama!I stand corrected. yoo can upload that song .I am interested.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I have been suggesting his name for the SK awaward for many years now. Will be very pleased if my wish and that of many others materialises this year !

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

post #39 and #40..

"Pahimaam Sri Vageeshwari" in Kalyani
rendered by Trichur V.Ramachandran..
Prof.M.S.Anantharaman on the violin and Umayalpuram Sivaraman on the mridangam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHHFgQ4ThM

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Thanks Venkata Kailasam!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Congratulations to Sri Ramachandran on the news that he will be given the Music Academy's Sangeetha Kalanidhi award this year!

natakapriyan

Post by natakapriyan »

Though very late, deserving vocalist of GNB school Trichur Ramachandran conferred with Sangeetha Kalanidhi was a very happy news to rasikas.
May God bless him with health. His Full Narayaneeyam recording in Ragamalika will speak volume about his caliber.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

We join in with all of you in Congratulating Vidwan Ramachandran on being nominated for a Sangeetha Kalanidhi, and present an energetic concert of his in "Parvathi", Mysore from March 29, 1972.

The team: M. S. Gopalakrishnan, Palghat R. Raghu, T. H. Vinayakram

Please welcome to http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Respectfully,

CPBlogteam

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

TRICHUR SRI V RAMACHANDRAN-tAmadamEn_svAmi-tODi......

PAPANASAM SIVAN RASIGAR MANRAM

@ NARADHAGANA SABHA MINI HALL ...TRICHUR SRI V.RAMACHANDRAN - VOCAL
SRI M.A.SUNDARESAN - VIOLIN
UMAYALPURAM SRIMALI - MRIDANGAM...courtesy...Shri.TVG

TRICHUR SRI V RAMACHANDRAN-tAmadamEn_svAmi-tODi.mp3 - 40.9 Mb