Sruti box recommendations sought

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

I am planning to purchase a sruti box during my trip to the season this December.
Any suggestions on which brand/model to buy would be very welcome.
Also, pointers to where these are available please!

Thank you.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Radel IV is my recommendation.

Mahalakshmi

Post by Mahalakshmi »

I feel Ragini is better. It is available at all leading musical stores.

raghukumar

Post by raghukumar »

I would also recommend the Radel IV

Shekarg

Post by Shekarg »

I am also on the lookout for a tambura box and Radel Maestro or Raagini Digital are on the top of my list. I am inclining towards Raagini because it is well built. I tried at my cousins place and really liked it.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I am very happy with the Raagini. For portability the Radel Saarang Magic Zx is good.

Shekarg

Post by Shekarg »

Mohanji:

I currently have the Radel saarang (older off white colour one, I do not know if it is magic!!?) and it is nice and portable like you said. The Radel Maestro and Raagini have excellent tonal quality. I am more inclined towards Raagini now unless I hear strong recommendations from members otherwise. Any suggestions from performing musicians?

Thanks

R2

Post by R2 »

Hello!
I would personally recommend Radel - they have come out with a new model Ranjani Zx - around the size of the Maestro. Sounds much much better than Raagini.
I find that they are much more reliable. And the metal cabinet of Raagini is so crude, don't you think?
I've also heard stories of lack of service support from Raagini.
I feel more comfortable with Radel - known company, excellent technically, and very accessible.
The Magic Zx too is so cute. Much smaller than the earlier ones. sound is fantastic though, real good volume!

arasi

Post by arasi »

R2,
Your posts describe Radel products very well, and who knows? Radel might use your lines for advertising their products!

Nandini1

Post by Nandini1 »

please visit Radel website www.radel.in I hope all doubts related to Radel products will be cleared. You can listen to the tonal quality of the product. Even I have recently seen their products video demonstration on you tube. Just type Radel products like Radel magic or Maestro or ranjani in youtube

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

I recently heard a new model called "swarangini" and it is exceptionally good. Lightweight and low-profile too. I am thinking of purchasing it at my next opportunity - has anyone else used this sruthi box?

Ashwin

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Why not try a manual sruti potti available in any musical instrument place? I like the sruti of manual sruti potti (bellow type) better than radel razor blade sound (so says American listeners)! When my Radel III broke, I started using the manual sruti potti as an interim arrangement for my daily use until I bought a new electronic sruti box. It took about 2 months to get a new electronic Radel Dhruva super from Bangalore. Meantime I got so used to manual sruti potti, I do not want to go back to electronic one.

Nandini1

Post by Nandini1 »

Few weeks back a friend of mine bought a 'swarangini' from a famous shop in Chennai and it stopped working with in two days. It was completely dead. She was like completely blank as what to do as there were no contact details as whom to contact for repairs. I am using a Radel shruthi box since seven years and have not got any problem yet. They provide beautiful after sales support also. Radel shruthi box are very easy to carry and even they are very light weight. As i travel a lot, Radel sruthi box has made my life really easy and comfortable

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

Reply to VK Raman - The Dhruva Super, when tuned manually, sounds very much like a manual sruti potti. Very sweet sound. Where are you located and why did it take 2 months to get a Dhruva Super?
Reply to Nandini1 - Thank you, Ma'am, for your kind comments. May I know the model of Radel sruthi box you have? Are you familiar with all the features?
I really cannot comment on other products.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I am in U.S and I had to get it through a relative of mine from Bangalore and then some one else brought it to U.S

Nandini1

Post by Nandini1 »

Reply to Radhika - I bought a sruthi box drone one around seven years back. It is still working fine. Recently I bought Saarang Ranjanizx - digital tanpura. Initially i found it little difficult to operate the instrument like pitch saving and locking facility. But a friend of mine informed me about your product video demo on you tube. I viewed the demo and have been able to operate the instrument.

manasa1

Post by manasa1 »

I am using a Radel sruthi box since last 27 years and have not come across any problem yet. Now, recently I bought a maestroS for my daughter and its really fantastic

ramsaketa

Post by ramsaketa »

Hello
I have been using Radel sruthi box(various models) for about 15 years now. The tonal quality is very good. The only concern i have is that the knobs often( in abt a year) start giving trouble. You have to get it serviced once in a while.

Friends, any idea abt the real size electronic tanpura? i am not sure if i am expressing it correctly, wht I mean is the tanpura which some musicians (especially Smt Bombay Jayasree) use, which has manual as well as automatic srutis. it gives the look of a real tanpura and you can hear the sruti closer toyour ears. Can anyone suggest ideas on this like which brand and the rates?

thanks

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

ramsaketa,
If you are referring to the instrument that looks like a small tambura, it is Radel's Saarang Sparshini.
You can either use it in the automatic playing mode or the manual playing mode where you physically 'pluck' the strings. This is Pt Jasraj's favourite model.
see these links for photos:
http://www.indoamerican-news.com/images ... Jasraj.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/234 ... e3.jpg?v=0

The individual strings, however, cannot be tuned separately.
For that, there is another model, the Saarang Miraj where you can individually tune each note if you wish.
We are aware of the knobs giving trouble and are in the process of implementing a permanent solution to this.
Please visit our website www.radel.in and click on the required product category in the catalogue, to see the various models. You can read the detailed description, see a video demo and hear the sound on the website, apart from downloading the pdf manual.
You can buy online too.
Else you can opt to visit our stall at the Music Academy, or our branch office at T Nagar Chennai or Bangalore, Pune or Kolkata and get an exclusive demo just for you.
Best regards
Radhika Raj Narayan
Radel

ramsaketa

Post by ramsaketa »

hello radhika,

Thanks for the reply. I read abt Saarang Sparshini.

Members, is there any other manufacturer of the same kind of mini tanpura?

Thanks