Lyrics and meaning "Moham Aaginen" Varnam

Classical Dance forms & related music
tapasya

Post by tapasya »

Hello all
I am quite new to this forum, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the lyrics and the meaning for the Varnam "Moham Aaginen IndaVelaiyil" on Lord Shiva please? It is set in 'Karaharapriya' by Dhandayudhapani Pillai
If anyone could direct me or post the lyrics, it would be of great help.
Also are there any Cds/DVDs available for purchase on this piece?
Thanks for your time
Tapasya

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

All the songs of KNDP and Ghanam Krishna Iyer are available here:

http://www.indian-heritage.org/lyindex.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I can post the meaning, but I need a couple of days.

tapasya

Post by tapasya »

Awesome!! Thank you so much for that link, It saved me so much time

If I could get the meaning as well, that would be great but thank you both for your time and effort!

tapasya

Post by tapasya »

Does anyone know if there any CD's or DVD's for this varnam please?

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

Lakshman Sir, can you please check the lyrics of the Karaharapriya varnam in that link. Some of the lines seem wrong. For eg. the charanam is 'Maathey yaarukaagilum bhayamaa...idhu rahasiyamaa' but the link gives it different.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is the translation of mOham AginEn inda vELaiyil. I enjoyed this padavarNam. Except for a tantalizing suggestion of SringAra, the varNam is lovely, and I particularly loved the 4th eTTugaDasvara sAhityam. I have made small corrections to the sAhityam as appropriate.

pallavi
mOham AginEn inda vELaiyil mAran kaNaiyum pAyudE vagai ariyEn

I have become (AginEn) infatuated (mOham) at this (inda) time (vELaiyil), and I know not (ariyEn) the means (vagai) to escape even as the arrows (kaNaiyum) of manmatha (mAran) attack/torment/target (pAyudE) [1] me.

anupallavi
yOgamigum ambalam tannil naTanamADum vAhan ennai maruva varuvAnO shollaDi

Tell me (SollaDi) my friend, will that handsome (vAhan) Lord who dances (naTanamADum) in (tannil) the propitious (yOgamigum) dance hall/temple (ambalam) in cidambaram ever come (varuvAnO) here to embrace (maruva) [2] me (ennai)?

(ciTTasvara sAhitya)
kUDi irunda nALil kuLirnda candiran mODi sheyya anal vIsudE manam
vADi migavum nalam tEDudE unakku kOTi puNNiyamuNDu azhaittODi vADi

It looks as if the same moon (candiran) that was cool (kuLirnda) during the days (nALil) we were (irunda) together (kUDi) is now spewing out/pouring forth (vISudE) waves of heat (anal). My mind/heart (manam) is pining away in grief (vADi) and is searching (tEDudE) very heard (migavum) for love (nalam). You (unakku) will reap the benefits (uNDu) of countless (kOTi) [3] good deeds (puNNiyam) if you bring (azhaittu vADi) him to me post-haste (ODi) [4].

caraNam
mAdE innum yOcanai EnaDi madi mayaNgudal vINaDi

Oh woman (mAdE), why (EnaDi) are you still (innum) lost in thoughts (yOcanai)? It is useless (vINaDi) to let your mind (ma(t)di) become confused/bewildered (mayaNgudal).

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 1
vAnOrgaL talaivanaik-kaNDAl pOdumaDi (mAdE innum...)

It is enough (pOdumaDi) if I were to merely meet/see (kaNDAl) the leader (talaivanai) of the celestials (vAnOrgaL), (Oh woman (mAdE), why (EnaDi) are you still (innum) lost in thoughts (yOcanai)? It is useless to let your mind become confused/bewildered).

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 2
nAnE tavangaLai purindEnE iniyum sahiyEnE tanittirundu tAnE enna sheiguvEn (mAdE innum"¦)

By myself (nAnE), I have undertaken (purindEnE) severe austerities (tavangaLai); I cannot bear (sahiyEnE) this continued separation anymore (iniyum); what (enna) can I do (SeiguvEn) if I exist/live (irundu) by myself (tAnE), all alone (tanittu)? (Oh woman (mAdE), why (EnaDi) are you still (innum) lost in thoughts (yOcanai)? It is useless to let your mind become confused/bewildered).

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 3
shonna mozhi tanai kanavilum maravEnE shollavum tiramaigaL illaiyaDi
kannam kuzhiya onru koDuttu maraindavan kanni endanai kaiviDuvAnODi (mAdE innum"¦)

Even in my dreams (kanavilum), I will not forget (maravEnE) the words (mozhi tanai) he spoke (Sonna), the promises he made; unfortunately, in this pitiable state of mine, I do not have (illaiyaDi) the capabilities/facilities (tiramaigaL) to say (Sollavum) them out loud for the world to hear [5]. Oh friend, will that man who disappeared (maraindavan) after planting (koDuttu) one (onru) [6] so forcefully that it marked (kuzhiya) my cheek, now (kannam) abandon (kaiviDuvAnODi) me (endanai), a lovelorn maiden (kanni)?

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 4
sOmanaip-pOloru sundaran yAraDi jagattinil kUraDi
jAmattil shuDalaiyin sAmbalaip-pUsiyE sAdhuvaip-pOlat-tirivAnaDi
kAmanai erittavan yamanai udaittavan karuNai pozhiyum viDai vAhananaDi anda
amitan sheyalai nAn ariyEnaDi Adi cidambarattil amarndiruppAnaDi

Oh friend, tell (kUraDi) me who (yAraDi) is as handsome (oru sundaran) as (pOl) the moon (sOmanai) in this world (jagattinil). He roams (tirivAnaDi) around at night/midnight (jAmattil) like (pOla) an ascetic (sAdhuvai) with ashes (sAmbalai) from crematoria (SuDalaiyin) smeared (pUSiyE) all over his body. He is the one who burnt (erittavan) manmatha (kAmanai) and the one who kicked (udaittavan) yama (yamanai); he is the all merciful one who rides (vAhananaDi) a bull (viDai) showering (pozhiyum) compassion (karuNai) on us. I do not comprehend (ariyEnaDi) the acts (Seyalai) of that (anda) unmeasurable/unquantifiable (amitan) Lord who reclines (amarndiruppAnaDi) in the ancient (Adi) city of cidambaram (cidambarattil).

FOOTNOTES
[1] pAyudE literally means 'springing' or 'flowing' with force
[2] maruva can also mean 'enjoy sexual union'
[3] kOTi/kODi - a crore
[4] ODi literally means 'run'
[5] I think the reference is to the fact that the nAyika is tongue-tied with unrequited love
[6] a kiss planted so forcefully, that it literally causes a hole/pit/crater (kuzhi) in the nAyika's cheek

meenalochana wrote:Lakshman Sir, can you please check the lyrics of the Karaharapriya varnam in that link. Some of the lines seem wrong. For eg. the charanam is 'Maathey yaarukaagilum bhayamaa...idhu rahasiyamaa' but the link gives it different.
If the caraNa sAhityam is 'mAdE yArukkAgilum bhayamA, idu rahasiyamA', it would translate to:

Oh woman (mAdE), as if I am afraid (bhayamA) of anyone (yArukkAgilum)! Is this (idu) a secret (rahasiyamA)?

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

In this varnam the following parts need correction to the best of my knowledge. I am not 100% sure of the exact words but this is what I have heard.

Pallavi 2 nd line: Maaran pagai theerumo, vagai ariyen (not kanaiyum paayudhe)

Charanam as I had mentioned.

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 1: It is supposed to be 'Maalai shoozhum naathanai ninaipadhum thavaro?'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 2: It is supposed to be 'naane athiviragam aanen, iniyum sahiyene, manam uruginEne, yenna sheiyuven?'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 3: The first line is correct. The second line is supposed to be

'Mannadhi mannan munnerirundha urudhiyil, magizhudan varuvaan azhaithu selladi'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 4 is completely different.

It is supposed to be

'Bhedam muzhangidum gangai sadaiyum aada, madhiyum aadum sabaitanil
Tumburu naaradar geetangal paada, ayanum ..... taalangal poda
Nandi maatalam kooda manavuvandhu, vaanargal bodhargal magizndhu kondaada
Kundalam iranda-aadum kunjitha paadanai kannaal endhan kali theerum idhu samayam.'

tapasya

Post by tapasya »

Thank you so much for your efforts, I am very grateful

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Tapasya - if Lji can confirm, I will translate the corrections that Meenalochana has posted...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: Please check your email.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji - Thank you.

Tapasya - the lyrics posted by Lji are what is given in a publication. Meenalochana's version must be another one - not sure who composed that one.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

meenalochana: There is another varNa by KND starting with Adi shivanaik-kANavE in tODi which has the text you have mentioned.

ardhanariswar

Post by ardhanariswar »

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

I am very sure that the version that I have given is the right one for the Karaharapriya varnam. This is the one that I have seen all dancers perform. Probably there is some error in the publication.

@ardhanariswar: That is the right varnam. See the part 2 of the varnam - 'Maaran pagai theerumo, vagai ariyen' That is the right one

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

Also check the part 3 for the Charanam and post charanam lyrics

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the lyrics for the other varNa:

Adi shivanai (padavarNa). rAgA: tODi. Adi tALA.

P: Adi shivanaik-kANavE Ashai koNDEnaDi nIti nilavum tillai ambalam tannil ADum
A: pAdi uDalil peNNai maraittiruppAnaDi nAdiyillA param jyOti avan tAnaDi
(ciTTasvara sAhitya)
mAlaip-pozhudum vandu matiyai mayakkudaDi mAran viDum kaNaigaL mArbaiti-tuLaikkudaDi
shOlaik-kuyilum ennaik-kUvi azhaikkudaDi vAlaip-paruvam tAnO manam tuDikkudaDi
C: mAdE yArukkAghilum bhayamA idu rahasiyamA
(ettugaDa sAhitya)
1: vAghai shUDum nalla vAhan enniDam vara
2: tEDi avanaruLai nADi anudinamum pADik-kaLIkkum uLLam vADi vadangudaDi
3: kanavil vandu pala kalavi sheidu oru kaNamum piriyavillai enrAnaDi
kaninda kAdal kathai shonnAnaDi anda kaNavanE kaN kaNDa deivamaDi
4: mAnE migha maiyal koNDu melindEnE vaghai ennaDi shollaDi
mAnilam pugazhum mannAdi mannavan manamuvandu varavillaiyaDi nAn
mAnattODu manam sheidu enrum nilaiyAna vAzhvu pera vENDumaDi uyar-
vAnam iDindAlum vaiyam puraNDAlum jnAna sabEshanai nAn maravEnaDi

meenalochana

Post by meenalochana »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvL9SIUM_iE

The above link has the Todi varnam (Adi shivanai).

The Moham aaginen varnam in Karaharapriya is different from this and it is the version in the one that ardhanarishwar has posted.

tapasya

Post by tapasya »

Hello all, does anyone have a link to this song/varnam("Moham Aaginen") that they could share? I dont remember the song from the start of the charanam so it would be great if someone could upload the song or direct me to any commercial CD/DVD even, Thanks
Last edited by tapasya on 10 Jan 2010, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mridula KS

Re: can you please send me the swara notation for this

Post by Mridula KS »

meenalochana wrote: 21 Dec 2009, 21:51 In this varnam the following parts need correction to the best of my knowledge. I am not 100% sure of the exact words but this is what I have heard.

Pallavi 2 nd line: Maaran pagai theerumo, vagai ariyen (not kanaiyum paayudhe)

Charanam as I had mentioned.

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 1: It is supposed to be 'Maalai shoozhum naathanai ninaipadhum thavaro?'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 2: It is supposed to be 'naane athiviragam aanen, iniyum sahiyene, manam uruginEne, yenna sheiyuven?'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 3: The first line is correct. The second line is supposed to be

'Mannadhi mannan munnerirundha urudhiyil, magizhudan varuvaan azhaithu selladi'

eTTugaDasvara sAhityam 4 is completely different.

It is supposed to be

'Bhedam muzhangidum gangai sadaiyum aada, madhiyum aadum sabaitanil
Tumburu naaradar geetangal paada, ayanum ..... taalangal poda
Nandi maatalam kooda manavuvandhu, vaanargal bodhargal magizndhu kondaada
Kundalam iranda-aadum kunjitha paadanai kannaal endhan kali theerum idhu samayam.'