Excellent Renditions

Classical Music of North India
kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Hi Everyone,
This thread is to share everybody's favorite pieces..
My favorite is Ustad Rashid Khan's Behag..
Please share your thoughts too..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=06M084Z6

Thanks,
Parvati.

kannan

Post by kannan »

There are a whole lot of audio/video recordings (all downloadable) here:

http://homepage.mac.com/patrickmoutal/m ... l/rag.html

You will have to reduce font size to see the page.

Kannan

padren

Post by padren »

Dear Kannan, The link that u posted is really great. Lot of good stuff. Thanks.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here is a great malkauns rendering by Fateh Ali Khan (param - this is not nusrat fateh ali )
a pakistani singer whose recordings I have heard only recently after getting them from -who else? - Raju Asokan.
And I have been simply bowled over by this artist .
Here is the part of the track where he launches onto a sweet composition and a tharana.simply amazing stuff.

and the compostion goes thus :

pyar nahin hai sur se jisko
woh moorakh insaan nahin

sur insaan bana deta hai
sur Rehman mila deta hai

Sur ki aag me jalne wale
parwane nadaan nahin

jag me agar sangeeth na hota
koi kisika meeth na hota

yeh ehsaath hai saath suro kan
Yeh duniya veeran nahin..

all so beautifully strung together in lovely malkauns.

someday we should all listen to a concert of his where sings megh-durga-bhoopali to a small group , breaking at many places into a lecdem on his gharana and how the 4 various sub groups sings swaras -
For the timebeing - Param- you can translate the song for the ones who do not know Hindi...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kulkarni sa'ab,
That was an absolutely lovely composition: do you know who composed it? It reminds me of Tyagaraja's compositions on nAda yOga, nAda bhakti etc...
Here is my effort at translation:
pyar nahin hai sur se jisko
woh moorakh insaan nahin

pyAr: love
nahIn: doesn?t have
sur sE: for musical notes
jiskO: one who
wOh: he/she
mUraK: fool
insAn: human
nahIn is not

He(she) who does not love musical notes/music is not only a fool, but is inhuman/not human as well.

sur insaan bana deta hai
sur Rehman mila deta hai

sur: musical notes
insAn: human
banA dEtA hai: makes
sur: music
rehmAn: God
milA dEtA hai: connects one (with)

Musical notes/music not only make(s) one human, it also lets you find/connect with God.

Sur ki aag me jalne wale
parwane nadaan nahin

sur ki Ag mE: in the fire of music
jalnE wAlE: (those who) burn
parvAnE: moths
nAdAn: innocent
nahIn: (are) not

Those that ?burn? in the fire of musical notes/music are not innocent moths.

jag me agar sangeeth na hota
koi kisika meeth na hota

jag mE: in this world
agar sangIth: if music
na hOthA: did not exist
kOI: no one
kisIkA: another?s
mIth: friend
na hOthA: (will) not be a friend
If there was no music in this world, people would not be able to make friends.

yeh ehsaath hai saath suro kan
Yeh duniya veeran nahin

yEh: this
ehsAn hai: is (the) legacy
sAth: 7
surOn: notes
duniyA: world
vIrAn: bare/bereft of beauty
nahIn: is not

This is the legacy of these seven notes: they ensure that the world is not bare/bereft of (beauty).

Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rshankar
thanks
No i have no idea of the composer.

param

Post by param »

Kulkarni sa'ab,
That was an absolutely lovely composition: do you know who composed it? It reminds me of Tyagaraja's compositions on nAda yOga, nAda bhakti etc...

ehsAn hai: is (the) legacy

Ravi
Dear all - it is ehsAn - which means - obligation

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Param,
Somehow, I did not feel that the seven surs were in any way, shape, or form obliged to us/the world: that is why I took the license to translate ehsAn to legacy! I was probably wrong, but....
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Re: the Parveen Concert in the Vidwan-Chembai Thread

Here is the excerpt from that concert

edited and removed

subram

Post by subram »

Sir, the sound quality of Parveen's concert is at rock bottom after listening to various Fateh Ali's posted by you. Regards... PNS

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Your mention of sound quality is interesting !!

many Many years ago , AIR Sangli used to be a rich source of Hindusthani Music to us , in our Native town of Harihar In karnataka.
We used to go to the terrace of our home to catch the short wave and we listened to some great music.
Every 5- 6 minutes or so, the waves would disappear for 20-30 seconds and then slowly re appear in full force.We used to keep the continuity in our minds , very anxiously waiting for the music to return.
And with monsoons , there would be the sound of lightening too.

Even before that -during a period when we did not own a radio at home , I would go to the main grocery store in my town run by a muslim -called vimanada angadi -THE SHOP WITH THE AEROPLANE (he had a small aircraft model standing on the top of his shop) with my Dad and stand respectfully by the side to listen to KL Saigals song relayed from Radio Ceylon (as a tribute , they would play one song everyday -the last one of the 7-30 to 8 am slot)

Many years later , in chennai , I could not afford a TV set for many years.
But I enjoyed many a Lucy Show by just evesdropping on my neighbouring LandLords TV.

I guess thats the beauty with classical stuff.The mind has a way of making up for these shortcomings.

BTW those two parveen tracks were recovered from a crumbling spool.The importance of these -atleast to me- is that I have never heard her sing Bhimpalas or this brand of Desh elsewhere

subram

Post by subram »

Dear Shri Coolkarniji,

I apologise. As I said earlier, I am a novice and inadvertantly commented upon the sound quality of the Parveen Sultana recording. Only after going through the entire thread (Vidwan -Chembai) I understood the pains taken to retrieve the tracks from the dusty tapes. However I was also longing to hear some good quality concert of Parveen and finding a link I hastily downloaded both the tracks. Incidentally I was one of the organisers of a private concert of this artist at Bilaspur in 1975/76 but had no interest in Hindusthani music at that point of time.

If you ever happen to come to this city of lakes (Bhopal) it would be my privilege to have you as our guest.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

whoopee

after exhausting invitations from Mysore , Pune , all major cities of US , Toronto , New Zealand , Paris ,Manchester,South Africa , Bahrain , Dubai, London , Scotland ,

Now here comes the next one from Bhopal.

Srkris.
Wonder what is the ratio in which i have to share these with you ..
50- 50 ?? ;)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hehehe

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Subram
there was no need to apologise.
we are battle scarred as it is.It takes something more to get us ruffled :twisted:

BTW you must be aware that any newcomer to this southern hemisphere of the forum is always welcome.We are at a stage where every new entrant increases the strength here by 10 % :P

So you are precious for us indeed.

There was another concert we thoroughly enjoyed at this forum a year and half ago.The tape was labelled Ghulam ali at Bangalore Rama Navami 1956
(when it came to us for mp3 conversion)
To our disbelief it was Bade Ghula Ali Khan and as the tape rolled out , the first raga was a magnificent Yaman .
the second raga starts where the following track starts.

As we friends -surrounding the player- started anticipating the second raga,
Khan Sahab starts tuning his Swar Mandal.
-You can hear that for a full three minutes , it is breathtaking-and then suddenly I had a great craving.

In one of the early documentaries on BGAK they show him singing a Hamsadhwani for half a minute.
It was strange and exotic , with shades of Raga Shankara.Would we be lucky enough to hear it in full flow , now-we wondered.

And what followed was sheer magic.
It is here for your pleasure.

and at the phase indicated by the time line 11mts.20 secs , there was a collective gasp in the room.Boy this was a Hamsadhwani with a difference!

That was a one long evening .Four hours of magic after coursing through Kedar , Darbari and Malkuans plus a few great thumris.

Some day we will have a Re run again here.

subram

Post by subram »

Dear Shri Kulkarniji,

My gratitudes. I feel elated. It seems I am getting initiated. "Guri Bina Gyan kahan se pavoon?" I would say it is your magnanimity. Very many thanks for the Hamsadhwani of BGAK. It was an unexpected offshoot. Right now I am downloading it and would listen to it peacefully.

Some time back I had downloaded a bhajan of Abhiseki posted by you and enjoyed listening to it pretending to be in your place at the temple. I can do that! I am an archaeologist - amateur- hey hey..

Regards... PNS

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Coolkarniji:

An awesome Marwa by Parween Sultana and Dilshad Khan Saheb. truely divine!! Thanks for uploading the same!

Rgds

Sumati

subram

Post by subram »

A big thank you for the clip ...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,

angaDige hOgi
saigala gAna kELi
sangeetha vimAna haththi
indu--
lOkavella kELOvanthe
thAnu paDeda rasAnubhava
emagU Agali enO drushti--
enthaha vyakthi, Shashi!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

wow wow !!!

Cannot help recalling what was the major commodity sold at that hour.

It was customary for most folks in that sleepy town to have their morning bath in the river(tungabhadra)

With a towel tucked under their arms, people would be queing to buy one slice of a 501 bar soap
for washing their clothes !!

three of my favourites from those melodies.

edited and removed

seems like yesterday ......
priceless memories :cry:

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Wow !,
I remember those "last song" on Radio ceylon. I used to record them when the signal was better.
My favorite is baag laga doon sagni...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thats Not Bad Arasi! cool!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

WOW Arasi, you are becoming a polyglot....
Nice...actually, even my long-forgotten kannaDA was equal to the task of understanding that!
Ravi

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

suji,

here is your favorite:

http://rapidshare.de/files/27238106/Baa ... _.mp3.html

enjoyed Arasi and cool sallApa ! cool you are a Great Raconteur !

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Raja Chandra,
Tumba dhanyavadagalu!

You made my day..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

RC
sometimes the kid inside me gets the better of me , and i cannot help it.

just last week i watched the movie How green was my valley-so many years after reading that nostalgia classic.

For somebody just touching that halfway mark of 50 , the road ahead looks as exciting as the road covered,
and so thoughts flow !!

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Dear K-jI,

Might u have a detailed version of Pandit Bhimsenji's BhAgyAda Lakshmi bAramma? Not the quick 2 mins song he usually sings in concerts, but perhaps a more detailed renedition....? Just wondering...Thanks i advance if you can post it!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mahesh3
regret i dont have such a version.
the most detailed one i have heard is the one on the musicindiaonline site ..

the best one i have heard,though , is by one jayawanthi devi ;) ;)
i may take a lot of time locate it though

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the song on a cassette (HMV SFHV 849083). It has songs by Bhimsen Joshi and Jayavanti Devi.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Mahesh3:
A 6.5 minute rendition by Bhimsen Joshi is available here:

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/category.php?id=10366

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
No hurry, but I would like to hear some of Jitendra Abhisheki's music. I have heard him in concert a few times in the 80s and was really taken by the inward looking quality of his music. No fireworks, no gimmicks--just soulful rendering...
Thanks!
Last edited by arasi on 05 Aug 2006, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Abhisheki !
Ah ! I like to think of him as the Kalyanraman of Hindusthani Music..
Both flowered a bit too early and got lost in the crowd.And died early too ..

There is something in their music that haunts you for ever.

edited and removed

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

His son Shaunak Abhisheki , sitting behind him , has performed at chennai last year -for Viswa Kala Sangama..

meena

Post by meena »

kji

the first 2 clips are they also renderd by Pt. Shaunak Abhisheki?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

All of them are by the father-Jitendra Abhisheki.

Shaunak has been releasing albums only recently and i Dont have his recordings from Radio ..

shanks

Post by shanks »

The two tracks of Abhisheki are wonderful. Have not listened to the tarana yet.

Can someone throw some light on the rag Suha.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have a special regard for Abhisheki's music. Glad you are enjoying Coolji's offerings. The tarAna is lovely and it brought to my mind the 'nalanthAnA?' scene from TillAna MohanAmbAL!
Last edited by arasi on 10 Aug 2006, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
You are kind, indeed. That mArwA! My next request, after a reasonable interval of course, was going to be mArwA! I was going to ask for Gangubai's. But Abhisheki too does justice to the raga, no doubt...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Shanks
I will tell more about Suha , the only way I can-with anecdotes.

Gangubai , recalls , in an interview about a nice incident.

Her Guru, Sawai Gandharv , had not taught her this raga for many years , inspite of many requests.
Why do you want to learn this ? he qould query and leave it at that.

Once, he had been away from Hubli for a long duration and Gangubai seized a chance to sing this raga for AIR Bombay -she had taught herself, obviously.
But it so happened that her Guru had cut his visit short and was already at Pune when this was broadcast.
And as Gangubais train from Bombay to Hubli steamed into Pune Station , she was horrified to see him getting into the same compartment .He was also travelling back to Hubli.
No sooner as they had settled down , he proceeded to give her a verbal hiding and taught her this raga all the way back to Hubli , right there in the compartment .

no need to hold back your requests.they are a pleasure.
the last time a member wanted to repay me for a gangubai track , he rang me up , alerting me that there was a film festival of documentaries at Sathyam Cinemas and he was waiting there , with a Pass for me.
These favours have a way of coming back to me , always.
I entered the cinema hall just in time to catch gangubai , suppressing her tears , when reminded of her daughters passing away ( No parent should see their offspring pass way in front of their own eyes - it is an indescribable pain -she was lamenting ).
But , gritty lady that she is, she came back with a smile , all in a mtter of seconds.
She started telling a story of how she had stayed with friends at delhi for a live broadcast at Delhi and upon returning home late in the night , she asked the youngest member how he liked her music , and pat came the boys reply
Hey ! No they changed the program i guess.I was in a friends place.
Some other male singer was singing , but it was good !!:D:D
No wonder , she came back after a Cancer surgery , in her throat , and gave a concert at belgaum last year , at the age of 90.

edited and removed

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
ananta kOTi namaskAram...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Cji, what a great anecdote for that powerful rendition. I wish there is someway to associate or attach your anecdotes with the clip so that they are never separated as time passes. For now, the mental association will suffice. :happy:

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

Associating the anecdote with the rendition is easy. If you are using windows XP, go to 'properties/summary/advanced/lyrics' of the MP3 file - the column will save up to 2000 charecters. It can contain an entire karnatak kriti. It is easier in Hindustani - just copy the entire anecdote and paste it to lyrics. If you so wish write the words 'see lyrics' in comments column. When the file is uploaded, these entries remain intact.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Without Xp
I used to store the word doc as well as the clip in the same CD with a hyperlink to the Clip available on the word doc.

vasanthakokilam

murthyhmg, that is a cool idea. And it satisfies the purpose nicely. If lyrics are available, I can add it there as well, space permitting. The text should move with the file even when transferred to portable devices.

As you suggested, I also added 'see lyrics for anecodotes'. In the folder view, I added the 'comments' column, so the comment is displayed in place along with the file name and other properties.

Also, since these are mp3 tags, for platforms that do not support tag editing, one can always use a separate mp3 tag editing program. In fact, there is a 'user text' field in ID3 V2 tags which can be used for such anecdotes if we want to store both lyrics and anecdotes. I do not see a way XP allows entering the 'user text'.

Thanks very much.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

this is indeed a great idea.
For ipod users lyrics can be added to theTitle under advanced. It will flash on the screen while playing the song.:cool::cool:

vasanthakokilam

Yes. That reminds me, the iTunes program can be used for editing ID3 tags. Even itunes does not provide a editable 'User Text' field. But the 'Lyrics' field is there.

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

One more important suggestion. Don't forget to add - Coolkarni at the end to all those anecdotes provided by him.

Mr. Kulkarni posted a piece of Fateh Ali Khan of Pakistan. unfortunately it is deleted now. I downloaded Megh and Bhupali of the singer from sarangi.info - a Pakistan site. If anyone wants i can upload it. Nice singing.
Last edited by murthyhmg on 11 Aug 2006, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

murthysaab
just provide the links that will help members to visit those sites and download as per rules existing there.
It will avoid you the worries associated with uploading ..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

coolkarni wrote:This one is for Ravi to decode what the musician is trying to say ,
in so many ways...:D:D
http://rapidshare.de/files/28730168/fat ... tainer.mp3
Kulkarni Sa'ab,
Just saw this: I love it...he is saying so much, and in such chaste language, I do not think I can do justice to the translation...suffice it to say, he makes a VERY romantic statement..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

very very romantic ....