pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

namaskar to all
please post ur views on this topic
thanks
pragya

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Does the sun shine on a Chennai summer's day?

MUCH LATER:

Woops, did not realise the forum title: Kindly ignore
Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

A little of the reverse would be welcome too... i.e. accurate pitching, tonal purity, attention to sound production, proper use of the diaphragm etc. I get the impression voice culture is sometimes given the short shrift compared to other systems.

PS: oops, forgot this thread is under hindustani sangeet; please excuse. I was not referring to HM when I made the observation.
Last edited by karthikbala on 26 Mar 2009, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

forgot this thread is under hindustani sangeet
And I didn't even notice --- so consider my post the nonsense that it therefore is!

<Blush>

pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

nick H wrote:Does the sun shine on a Chennai summer's day?

MUCH LATER:

Woops, did not realise the forum title: Kindly ignore
i don't mind if u r referring to carnatik music actually in late 20th cent. the changes came faster even the influence of carnatik music is also seen on Hindustani vocal as well as instrumental music.
i m a sitar student and i love to listen carnatik music also. so ur views are always welcome.
regards

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Interdependence and mutual influence will enrich both

pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

karthikbala wrote:A little of the reverse would be welcome too... i.e. accurate pitching, tonal purity, attention to sound production, proper use of the diaphragm etc. I get the impression voice culture is sometimes given the short shrift compared to other systems.

PS: oops, forgot this thread is under hindustani sangeet; please excuse. I was not referring to HM when I made the observation.
i don't mind if u r referring to carnatik music actually in late 20th cent. the changes came faster even the influence of carnatik music is also seen on Hindustani vocal as well as instrumental music.
i m a sitar student and i love to listen carnatik music also. so ur views are always welcome.
if u don't mind i want to know about u
regards

mohan

Post by mohan »

As far as I undertand, in Hindustani music there are distinct gharanas of instrumental music. These instrumental gharanas have stemmed from past masters such as Imdad Khan and Allaudin Khan. However, these styles probably originally stemmed from vocal music. The instrumental gharanas have moved a little away from vocal music to suit the particular instrument, its tone, range and capabilities.

In Carnatic music, the concept of instrumental styles is quite recent and again is associated with modern practioners - eg Parur style or Lalgudi style/bAni.

pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

Chandrashekar wrote:Seems quite a while since this question was put, but it just caught my eye and I think it is still relevant.

I think it is nice to have such an influence -- of vocal music on instrumental music.

But, don't we already have it? That's what you mean when you play an instrument in the "gaayaki shaili": you are playing it in the "vocal style". For example, Dr N Rajam is renowned for her gaayaki style of playing the violin.

At the same time, every instrument has its own characteristics, its own personality, and we should bring that out also, through what we call the "vadhyaki shaili" or instrumental style. One can combine both styles of playing to make the music more interesting and varied rather than monotonous.

Does that address the question?

pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

thankyou very much sir
this will help me alot

pragyasitar

Post by pragyasitar »

thanx alot mohan and chandrashekhar sir
this will helpful for my research