Ragas in Film Music

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
naarayanan

Ragas in Film Music

Post by naarayanan »

Hi rasikas,

Film industry has given us immortal songs based on ragas. It has also brought to limelight some extraordinary creators. I start this thread to share some thoughts on the same subject.

Shri.Madurai G.S.Mani gave a lec-dem in early 80's about the songs based on classical ragas. Since then this subject has had a steady no. of followers, i surmise(Of course, even before that the enthusiasm was there). The great Balamurali gave a similar series on DD 'Swararagasudha'.

Then almost every channel had a programme on 'ragas in film music'. People like Mohan vaidhya , A.V.Ramanan et al hosted shows for years together. Even now similar programmes are being aired, i guess.

Off late, it can be said that there are very very few songs that come out with melody and songs based on carnatic ragas have become a rarity.

We shall discuss this subject in this thread.
Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2010, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

naarayanan

Re: Ragas in Film Music

Post by naarayanan »

http://ragasinfilmmusic.blogspot.com/20 ... pathi.html

In the above song from ambikapathi there 3 ragas involved. can anyone identify the 3rd one for the lines 'vadivelum mayilum thunai'?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Manirangu

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

naarayanan
Very nice topic, possibly we can discuss more when we have few old threads of our site coming in. I hope you had a chance to hear madurai GS mani's lecdem that nageshwaran sir posted, that is great place to start.

naarayanan

Post by naarayanan »

yes rt. i had the same feel. but the sanchara was very limited, so i had a doubt.

There is a programme 'Ranjani -Shriranjani' that is being aired daily in Vividhbharathi from 8 am to 8.15 am. Kumbakonam M.R.Gopinath and V.L.kumar, both famous violinists compere the show. I think this program also is running for years together.

naarayanan

Post by naarayanan »

rajesh, i have that lec-dem with me. I will see nageshwaran sir's post also. BTW this moderation of each and every post is a little tedious, isnt it?