Amazing facts - NELLAIYAPPAR KOIL

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
smala

Post by smala »

Received from a friend.........thrilling piece of history.

There are many temples in Tirunelveli but the most famous one is the Nellaiappar temple, located 1 km from Tirunelveli junction. There are many buses plying from Tirunelveli junction to this temple. The name of the main deity here is Nellaiappar and the Ambal's name is Gandhimathi

According to historical facts, this town (thirunelveli) was known as Venuvanam. There was a Siva devotee named Vedapattar. Lord Siva wanted to test Vedapattar's devotion. So he made Vedapattar lose his wealth and suffer. Still, he did not give up the habit of praying to God.

One day, Vedapattar left some paddy in the sanctum of Lord Siva and went to take bath in the river. Meanwhile, it started pouring. Seeing this, Vedappatar rushed to the sanctum to save the paddy. To his suprise, he saw that there was no rain around the paddy, and God had put a fence around it and saved it.

He ran to inform the king, Rama Pandian, about the miracle. From then on the city came to be known as Nel veli - paddy that was saved by a fence. The name Nelveli got changed to Tirunelveli in time.

Sage Agastya has worshipped Lord Siva in this temple. The Lord is also called as Venunathar, Veithanathar, Nelvelinathar and Salivanathar. The Ambal is also called Vadivudaiamman and Thirukamakottamudaiya Nachiar. Lord Vinayaga is also called Polla Pillaiyar and Lord Muruga, Arumuga Peruman
Saiva saint Tirugnana Sambandar has also sung about this temple. The 2,000-year-old temple has 32 theerthams. The speciality of this temple is that there are a lot of stories about it. Nellaiappar temple is one of the five temples where Lord Siva has danced in the form of Nataraja.

According to Hindu belief, devotees who worship the Lord in this temple will get mental peace and live well. Those who worship Gandhimathiamman would prosper in life.

Devotees can donate curd, milk, oil and other items to the temple. Navaratri festival, Tirukkalyanam in the Tamil month of Aippasi and Arudra Darisanam are the main festivals celebrated here.

A very beautiful virtual tour here..............http://www.kanthimathinellaiappar.org/lores.htm

The most amazing fact about Nellaiyapaar koil

"¦"
Last edited by smala on 10 Nov 2009, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks for all the details, many of which I didn't know. In case you don't know, my ancestors are from nellai SImai and I was born in the town of 'pretty paddy fence'!
By the way, isn't she kAntmati (not gandimati or kAndimadi as the locals call her name and all their female children of that name).

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

MSD's 'shrI kAnthimatIm'- in 'hemavathy'-
'shudhdha tAmraparNI taTsthithAm'.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kAntimati (vaDivuDaiyamman/vaDivAmbAL) means the 'excessively beautiful one' - I just can't stand it when it's disfigured to 'the mahAtamA's mind' (gAndhimadi/gAndhimati)!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Not to nitpick a good story, but help me with the imagery of how a fence would save rain water from spoiling the paddy that is in the sanctum of the temple. Obviousy it is in a covered area otherwise a fence would not do. So was it in the covered portion but on either side was open, so rain water was possibly running from one side to the other? I can see how a stopping board type fence would block the water. But would that be called a vEli?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Not to question the veracity of the story, but couldn't the ksetra have got its name from nel-vEli - paddy field (isn't veli a local unit of measurement for land area, like acre and hectare??)
rshankar wrote:kAntimati (vaDivuDaiyamman/vaDivAmbAL) means the 'excessively beautiful one' - I just can't stand it when it's disfigured to 'the mahAtamA's mind' (gAndhimadi/gAndhimati)!
Subbarama dikshitar has given us an absolute kohinoor of a kalyani in his song 'Kantimati! karuNamIra kAntimatinosagumamma!' - O splendorous one,Kantimati! take mercy and give us illumined minds (kanti-matini osagu).

the yamaka figures of speech he has used and the absolutely original and bewitching phrases in Kalyani are testimony to his genius as a vaggEyakara.

This song is definitely in the red book on the endangered/extinct list.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

As a tirunelveliyan I am proud--in CM music circles amongst Vidwans in the turn of the twentieth centurty Thanjavur was considered the seat of music and Thirunelveli--although it had produced several stalwarts like Kalidaikurichi vedanta Bhagavathar,Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar(MMI' Guru)--was always talked about derisively in the Thanjavur circles. Example:

Once Muthiah Bhagavathar had been invited to a prominent village in Thanjavur for a vocal performance.Large crowds had gathered out of curiosity to listen to an "alien" from Thirunelveli(by the way harikesanallur is about 20 to 25 kms from Thitunelvei). One of the rasikas in the crowd who had just arrived wanted to know if Muthiah Bhagavathar was going to give a concert or harikatha(forumites would know that Muthiah Bhagavathar did both vocal as well as Harikatha).

To which the mischievous Thanjavurian replied" Wait a couple of minutes-- I will tell you--if the Bhagavathar sits it will be vocal and if he stands it will be harikatha!!--implying that the way Bhagavathar sings it is tough to tell the difference!!

Now a riddle for forumites--esp Arasi.

Muthiah Bhagavathar was noted for his Slaydai in Tamil in his Kalakshepams. Once in a Kalakshepam he posed this riddle:

Vinayakarukkumaruthalai
Paramasivanukkumaruthalai
Shanmugharukkumaruthalai

It sounds better when one says it in Tamil-writing does not convey the full force of the Slaydai!!
Anyway Forumites try!!!

Also re: the lament about the obscurity of the kalyani Krithi Kanthimathi,I have a wo nderful recording of the song sung by Brindamma and Muktthamma.

Also I read in an Hindu article May 11,2003---that this was one of the brilliant compositions of Subbarama Dikshitar.

Forumites,any views on the authenticity of the composition?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Which place is referred to in Srilakshmi Varaham (abhogi) ? That also has the phrase "bhanga hara tAmraparNI tIrasthaM'.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

MKR Sir,

Good one! I got two out of three:

Vinayakar has a transplanted head (human to elepphant head - mARu talai)

Shanmukha has six heads (avarukkum ARu talai).

Still trying to decode Paramasivan.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

paramasivanuk+kumaru+thalai?
something to do with kumaran (murugan) teaching the meaning of praNavam to Shiva?

S.Govindaswamy

Post by S.Govindaswamy »

The following posting explains the poem fully.
PathivuToolbar ©2009thamizmanam.com

பரமசிவனà¯ÂÂ

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

S.Govindaswamy, how the obvious eluded me! Thanks.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

'ஆனதே சஙà¯ÂÂ

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I think this place is one of the five sabhas of Nataraja .
*Kanakasabahai-(gold)-Chidambaram.
*Velliambalam-(Silver)-Madurai.
*Thamirasabai-(copper?/Brass)-Tinneveli.
*Chitrasabhai-(paintings!)-Courtallam.
*Ratnasabhai-Tiruvalangadu-near Arakonam-

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Good to read so many facts which I did not know and will not know but for this post. Thanks

arasi

Post by arasi »

kavi kALamEgam pOL pozhiyAviTTalum (even though it's impossible to play with words like kALamEgap pulavar), to know how ideal a language tamizh is for pun and fun and for interpretaions, just visit the Hilarity thread.

Pretty paddy fence: HMB, bArati, TKC to name a few, came from around there.
Above all, 'puNya nadi tAmira varuNi vaDakarai amarnta kAntimati and nellaiappar!
The longue loungers will add one more: lAlAk kaDai alvA! Or iruTTuk kaDai or Shanthi Sweets (multiple shops under the same name) as the report posted there says!
Am I proud to be from bArati nADu too besides bArata nADu!

RMK,
Before I could even decode kALamEgap pulavar's verse, smart guys/gal from other parts of Tamizhnadu explained it all. However, CML who comes from a place not far from there added his own interpretation. Keerthi who is from Karnataka gives an impressive explanation. I do not know where others come from except that the mumbaikar girl is originally from the granary of tamizhnADu area, from the culturally superior people (or so they think) :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, do they?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

ramakriya, I think the lakshmivarAhaswami temple is in kallidaikkurichi.

1920veeyens

Re: Amazing facts - NELLAIYAPPAR KOIL

Post by 1920veeyens »

Re the last line within brackets, posting #16, :Athilenna sanDeham?veeyens

harimau

Post by harimau »

And people of Nellai such as Arasi and M. K. Ramasubramanian have forgotten that right next to the sannidhi of Salivateeswarar (Nellai-appar) is a shrine for Lord Mahavishnu.

Sri Deekshithar has composed the kriti "Salivateeswaram" in Devagandhari on Nellai-appar; however, this kriti does not enjoy the same popularity as "Sri Kanthimathim" in Hemavathi.

And it takes a person of North Arcot origin to bring this to everyone's notice! :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Harimau! We needed a non-nellai person to point it this out! If only we could hear the song too :)

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:Thanks, Harimau! We needed a non-nellai person to point it this out! If only we could hear the song too :)
That thing about a non-Nellai person was actually connected to the fact that there is a shrine to Perumal right next to the Nellai-appar sannidhi, not that there is a song dedicated to Sri Salivateeswarar.

How come someone like MK Ramesh forgot that? You can be excused on the basis that perhaps you belong to the strict Vaishnavite tradition and do not frequent temples to Lord Siva :). And there are those who do enter the Chidambaram temple with their eyes partially covered by their hands so that they can visit the Govindaraja sannidhi without looking at Lord Nataraja! :lol:

Of course, as a tourist from a different district, I did catch hold of a local priest and asked him to show me around the temple and was shown also the Perumal sannidhi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harimau,
All that I own up to is 'ignorance' and my not being in my ancestral place that many times. As for prejudice and bigotry--I don't subscribe to them. Your post was educational and I want me to visit Nellaiyappar temple again--yes, would be nice if I can have darSan of his brother-in-law too, though he has not been sung about ;)
Meanwhile, I would like to hear nellai vAzh (TirunelvEli residing) SalivateeSvarar's song composed by MD.
Last edited by arasi on 09 Jun 2010, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Harimau: I admit I did not pay close attention--despite the fact that in the last 15 years I have been visiting Kallidaikurichi-via Tirunelveli to visit my uncle, I have not visited the Nellaiappar shrine as each visit was too hurried.
Thanks for pointing it out-I will pay closer attention the next time!!

Entharo Mahanubhavulu Anthariki Vandanamu!!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

arasi wrote:Harimau,

Meanwhile, I would like to hear nellai vAzh (TirunelvEli residing) SalivateeSvarar's song composed by MD.

here you go -
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/noauth.ph ... ikiran.mp3

arasi

Post by arasi »

Keerthi,
Thank you for the song. Yes, it is lovely and Shashikiran sings it beautifully with feeling and nidAnam.
Thanks SK!

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:Thanks, Harimau! We needed a non-nellai person to point it this out!
I remember you asking quite some time back if I am from the Cauvery delta, what with my opinions about purity in Carnatic music.

Having stayed quiet at that time, I have now given you the answer! I wouldn't be caught dead in Tanjore district, though I would visit the temples there! :grin:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, now I have the answer from you! Isn't' it narrow-minded of us to think that only Tanjavur and Nellai areas of TN have produced great music and rasikAs? We can include North Arcot and the rest of TN too--and all the southern states as well ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: We can include North Arcot
Excluding NA (North Arcot, or North America) would certainly not be correct :P