K S Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
Sivaramakrishnan

Re: K S Gopalakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have been lucky to have KSG's acquaintance while in Trivandrum.
He is a votary of 'pure' music and has never been a 'gallerian' ('gallerian' means one who plays to the gallery! How's the term?)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote:I have been lucky to have KSG's acquaintance while in Trivandrum.
He is a votary of 'pure' music and has never been a 'gallerian' ('gallerian' means one who plays to the gallery! How's the term?)
Sivaramakrishnan
Great to hear that . Perhaps you can share few interesting anecdotes of KSG. Now that he has just performed in bangalore , we get to hear him more.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Word has it that KSG may be performing much, much further than Bangalore in the future. ;)

narayan

Post by narayan »

KSG has played several times in Mumbai, back in the day. I used to follow him around all over the place and although he is too great a musician to have any grouse against, I always used to wish that he explore a little more in his repertoire that he chose to present. The whole atmosphere of his music is leisurely, thoughtful and very musical and frankly I don't really mind hearing the same things. But given one's imagination, hearing him play an elaborate Sahana (with whatever gandharam), or Ritigoulai or something would be such a nice prospect.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

KSG was with All India Radio, Trivandrum for long. Whenever I went there for my broadcasts he used to be very helpful and giving lot of useful tips. He could be often seen working with notations to acquire more and more uruppadi-s.

We were regulars at the concerts organised by the Sri Swati Tirunal Sangita Sabha during the seventies and he was ever willing to discuss on topics related to music.

To me there is something mystique about the person as well as his great music.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

narayan wrote:The whole atmosphere of his music is leisurely, thoughtful and very musical and frankly I don't really mind hearing the same things. But given one's imagination, hearing him play an elaborate Sahana (with whatever gandharam), or Ritigoulai or something would be such a nice prospect.
Ah yes. "Leisurely", "thoughtful" and "musical" are the mot justes. I greatly admire his unhurried approach to things. In another thread I had complained that there are not many CMusicians who could hold their own in a raga for more than twenty minutes. KSG is one of the rare ones who can. I remember listening to him at a concert -- when he was still on his second number (Andolika I think) I happened to look at my watch and I was astonished to note that an hour had already passed. Someone who can sing/play that way is a true master.

-Then Paanan

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

--
Last edited by fduddy on 07 Jul 2010, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

rbharath wrote:Assuming he is choosy / boycotts Madras - there should be some valid reason, isnt it !
i guess there is, but, what is the reason?
did every existing sabhas and rasika in chennai demean him or something?
if one particular individual or organisation did something wrong, why punish the world?
One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music ! Take the review done on his bangalore concert which will give an indication!
No of views - 214
No of replies - Just 1
Compare with review of other musicians, specially the current genre.

This shows the taste of chennai audience[/quote]

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

fduddy wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music !
Lack of audience / appreciation for 'good music' or for particular artiste's music?

abhiramkeshav

Post by abhiramkeshav »

hello friends,
it is a treat for the Bengaluru-vAsi's.

KSG is performing here on 10th July 2010 at Gayana Samaja, KR Road at 6.30 PM
Team:- K.S.Gopalakrishnan (Flute) Dr.Manjunath(Violin) A.V.Anand(Mrudangam) B.Rajashekar (Morcing)

A request for those who are on Facebook - Join the group Flute maestro Vid. K S Gopalakrishnan on facebook. You can get to know the details about his concerts.

Two of his concerts scheduled in September are:-
Monday, September 20, 2010 at 5:30pm
At Mysore

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 5:00pm
At Praharshini, IISc, Bengaluru

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music !
Lack of audience / appreciation for 'good music' or for particular artiste's music?
I guess I have been explicit enough in what I have stated :tmi:
Again it is my opinion and not generalising.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

fduddy wrote: One of the reasons - lack of audience / apreciation for good music ! Take the review done on his bangalore concert which will give an indication!
No of views - 214
No of replies - Just 1
Compare with review of other musicians, specially the current genre.

This shows the taste of chennai audience
I know i might sound nutty here, but, i wish to still make my point.

1. The number of visits is what matters here and not the number of replies.
2. rasikas.org is a global forum and the kind of response that something gets here is totally unrelated to what an average chennai rasika's taste is.
3. I have personally posted song lists of many many able and senior artists who have performed in madras, which have attracted no replies at all. However, they get a very good crowd for their concerts in madras.
4. It is only controversial concerts/artists who get lots of responses. If you see thread with many responses, they have discussions on pointless things or controversial things that happen in the concert and not on the artist or the music

In all, I find this comment pretty hastily made and a hard hit below the belt of a chennai rasika. I wish people make more matured and measured and sensible comments rather than wave their hands in thin air.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

Please welcome to a 1976 "Parvathi", Mysore concert of the great Flute Vidwan K.S. Gopalkrishnan at
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Accompanying him are:
Vidushi T.Rukmini -----------Violin
Vidwan Tanjore Upendran -----Mridangam
Vidwan M.A.Krishnamurthy ----Ghatam

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Recently Sri.K.S. Gopalakrishnan gave 3 concerts in Bangalore. One at Indiranagar Sangitha Sabha, One in Rajajinagar and another at Gayana Samaj. About 3-4 years I had contacted him to give a concert for our sabha in Bangalore and he said he was in depression due to his wife death that year and had given up performing any where. He also told me that he wanted some time to recover from the shock and perhaps now he has come out of his dipression. On 25th August he is again performing for Unnati at Bangalore. B.U. Ganeshprasad, Arjunkumar and Ranganatha Chakravarthy are on the pakkavadyam. I also heard from reliable sources that the concerts at GS and ISS were superb.
Harini.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The expressive power of the flute was brought out meticulously by maestro flautist K.S. Gopalakrishnan (KSG) at a concert at Chalakudy.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/08/13/stor ... 050300.htm

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Listening to the Parvathi concert by KSG. The sAhitya bhAva he brings out on the flute is quite phenomenal.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I wish I was in kerala to hear this enta muddo enta sugoSo
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/08/20/stor ... 060300.htm