Nisha rAjagOpAl@sAstri hall on Dec 24th,2010

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Nisha rAjagOpal
Violin : Dr Jyotsna
Mrudangam : Nellai balAji

Concert duration/Day : 1 hour 50 mins/ Thursday
Sabha : Sri kapAli fine arts

1. AndOlikA varnam (not too sure)

2. karunAnidhiyE tAyE - bowli - psivan
3. rAmA naNNu brovarA (R S) - harikAmbOdhi - T
6 mins alApanai and 4 mins violin return
4 mins swaras

4. durusugA (R S) - sAveri - SS
8 mins alApanai and 4 mins violin return
4 mins swaras
5. nambikEttavar - hindOlam - psivan

6A. E tAvunarA(R N S T) - kalyAni - T
8 mins alApanai and 6 mins violin return
9 mins neraval in "shrIkaruDagu tyAgarAja " for 9 mins
7 mins swaras
6B. tani for 4 mins

7. eNNudAyE bhArathE - kalyAna vasantham - PD
8. sreenivAsa tiruvEnkata - hamsAnandi - Psivan

Chennai chennai chennai in the week ending 25th or 26th has a plethora of concerts. Wanted to hear a quick concert on Friday preferably early in the evening and head home after hectic week of work. Planned to hear sangeetha swaminAthan in vAnimahal , but could not go on time and settled for nearly on time 5 pm start of NishA

NishA I think just winded up the andhOlika varnam of GNB. Nisha's voice is her asset , the voice that reaches a sustained melody and has a definite high azhuttam (still could be bit higher to my liking). The bowli krithi of shivan had a nice melody and I felt the kutcheri did have a great start .

harikAmbOdhi alApana was a bit of teaser to start ,more with my fatigue but kAmBodhi mixed with considerable kamAs was there and O gosh I took a while to make up my mind that it was harikAmbOdhi. The facet of harikAmbOdhi is that it is usually dropped 2 down to steady and stear the concert innnings. Nisha did well in the alApana , but my mind raced to few weeks before, of an excellent rendition of maharAjapuram rAmachandran in MFAC. When he caressed rama nannu and then rAmA nannu it just gave me total ecstasy, Nisha was indeed not too far from rAmachandran , it was really a controlled aggression with a right mix of emote . Swaras were just right for a less than 2 hour concert

SAveri alApana was well done with a nice touch of the usual madhyama kAlam zone of this rAgA , and when she sang ShyAmA sAstri no durusugA I was thinking may be Nisha is heading quickly for a sAveri main and I might be just lucky to hear a RTP of hers (I have not heard her sing pallavi yet). SAveri krithi was well done and swaras were just good bit more charge would have made me happier

While nisha's voice and her preparation especially is near perfect , she needs azhuttam a little more when sangathis get bit longer and tough . Well how else one can explain nambikettavar of shivan, the papAnasam vaggeyakkarA starts usually with a very easy pallavi and steps up with saNgathi bit dense and quick and Nisha's azhuttam indeed could have been better there.

sAveri as a sub main and a kalyAni as a main , certainly a dry and not a good choice. Perhaps she did it as she may have big concerts in the next few days , but kalyAni alApana start did not bring a change of mood , that yEtham and irakkam(up and down) has to be always there. Her alApana had some lovely brighas in second half , her krithi was very good more noticeable for her nice neraval .

Tukkadas were both janaranjakam and that has to be the case always , hamsAnandi and kalyAna vasantham gelled well . When she sang both, I connected not only to MLV a bit , bit more to one of my favourite vidushis of today , Smt rAji gOpalakrishnan , can I call it TORONTO BANI (if ofcourse mahavishnu agrees)

The violinist was Dr Jyothsna , is she the same one who played in UK for our once forumite Dr Shrikanth murthy's vocal concert . I am hearing this violinist for the first time , most of her alApanais had a western jazzy touch , she could have atleast brought in a pure carnatic experience to atleast one of the three heavy CM ragas harikAmbodhi, sAveri and kalyAni

Nellai balAji must be complemented, though he was not that happy initially because of AC creating few tonal issues of mridangam , but a bit submissive mridangam in a claustrophobic ,all windows closed , AC on (why the hell we need that AC in margazhi) did add lot of charm .

sAstri hall and Mylapore chaos:
------------------------------
sAstri hall at 5 pm was just 15 to 20, the crowd suddenly swells to 50 , then melts to 30. I guess mylaporeans suffer from attention deficit syndrome. Despite pathetic crowd , nisha and team did very well

Overall a very good concert for 1 hour and 50 mins.

Jigyaasa

Re: Nisha rAjagOpAl@sAstri hall on Dec 24th,2010

Post by Jigyaasa »

rajeshnat wrote: 2. karunAnidhiyE tAyE - bowli - psivan
3. rAmA naNNu brovarA (R S) - harikAmbOdhi - T
5. nambikEttavar - hindOlam - psivan
2. karuNAnidiyE tAyE...
3. rAmA nannu brOvarA...
5. nambi keTTavar...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

@Rajesh. Nisha is definitely a descendant of the Toronto bani (Her mother was one of the pioneers of the local gharana).

Jyotsna and Nellai Balaji accompanied Savita Narasimhan at MMA last week. They were both very good in supporting the main artiste on that occasion also.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: While nisha's voice and her preparation especially is near perfect , she needs azhuttam a little more
Being a somewhat ancient building, I am not sure that Sastry hall can handle that. May be the music academy can take it :-)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Rajeshnat: Nice summation--the Andolika varnam -Did it start with Nee Daya(GNB's)?