New York: carnatic vocal teacher sought

To teach and learn Indian classical music
manavan

New York: carnatic vocal teacher sought

Post by manavan »

Looking for a vocal teacher for private, in-person lessons in New York.

I would appreciate any recommendations. I noticed a few names on Chandrakantha, not sure if anyone has any experience with any of these teachers.

rshankar

Re: New York: carnatic vocal teacher sought

Post by rshankar »

Try Smt. Shobhana Raghavan - In this clip you can hear her sing for Ms. Anita Ratnam.

manavan

Post by manavan »

@rshankar, thanks for your reply, I had contacted her but she was unable to take on new students.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Have you tried contacting the people at ShrutiLaya? Sreenadh is a member of this forum. They may be in a better position to help you locate a teacher.

manavan

Post by manavan »

No, though actually I have attended a concert they organized. Thanks for the idea.

ShrutiLaya

Post by ShrutiLaya »

Manavan, pl. contact me offline, sreenadh@shrutilaya.org (Can't figure out how to send mail to you directly).

- Sreenadh

ShrutiLaya

Post by ShrutiLaya »

Or better still (shameless plug here!) come to our Thyagaraja Aradhana on Feb.12, where three area teachers will be singing mini concerts of 1 hour each. Details on our website shrutilaya.org

- Sreenadh

manavan

Post by manavan »

Thank you, I will contact you. The difficulty is that there are plenty of teachers in the wilds of New Jersey or the further reaches of Queens/Long Island, but almost no one within an hour's commute of my residence in Manhattan, and I am really not comfortable with "Skype" lessons.