Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary Celebrations Chennai Oct 28,2012

Carnatic Musicians
cacm

Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary Celebrations Chennai Oct 28,2012

Post by cacm »

MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS--OCTOBER28,2012 AT CHENNAI
I am excited to inform Rasikas that as a culmination to the Annual MMI REMEMBRANCE DAY CELEBRATIONS (held at Ragasudha Hall under the aegis of The Global Rasikas Forum of the Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana Committee) the "MMI Centenary Celebrations Committee" has been formed which plans to celebrate the centenary in a Grand & Appropriate Fashion. Further details will be posted here at the appropriate times. Herewith some preliminary details:
Name of Organising Committee: MMI Centenary Celebrations Committee
Address: 7A, Prasanthi Apartments, 58 T.M. Maistry Street, Vannanthurai, Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai-41, 600041, Telephone:
04442151321, 9841313527( S.Venugopalan).
Co-Chairpersons:
Mrs. Aruna Ranganathan
Sri. E.N.Renganathan
Sri. Cleveland V.V.Sundaram
Sri. S.Venugopalan
Dr.V.K.Viswanathan
In INDIA Specifically S.Venugopalan is the contact person. He can be contacted at the telephone number above or by email at: esvee45@yahoo.com; In North America especially the contact person is: Dr.V.K.Viswanathan whose phone number is: 5056612618 & email is: vkv@juno.com. They are most likely to know the latest details as per their committee assignments.
DATE, TIME, PLACE etc of the Centenary Celebrations: Sunday, October28, 10A.M. to 9 P.M.,2012 at Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Mylapore (Near Kapali Temple on East Mada Street),Chennai.
We welcome Contributions, Suggestions & Volunteers from every one as the aim is to celebrate the contributions of not just a great musician but a GREAT SOUL who lived amongst us. We have planned to cover all aspects of his life in an appropriate fashion. We hope to periodically report on the progress as it is warranted. cacm (V.K.Viswanathan)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary Celebrations Chennai Oct 28,

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

VKV: Great News!!! Hope I have better luck in Oct 2012 than I had in 2010!!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Plenty of time for planning and Rassikas input!
Pl keep us posted...

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

At the out set I present myself as S.Venugopalan S/O CHITTI one of the closest associates of MMI.Sri VKV Sir during his last visit to Chennai has guided us to continue with the efforts of MMI 100 Celebrations to be held in OCTOBER 2012 and I am one of the MANY workers who is very much a die hard fans of MMI.I appeal through Rasikas.org to ALL the members to come together and let us pay our best tributes to the ONE AND ONLY MMI the od of Music.MMI as a Man was one of the examplary personalities and in his inner circle he is known as GANDHI for his noble qualities.Let us ALL MMI MADDYS Come as a well knit unit and make the MMI 100 a HUGE Success!Please respond to this mail sooner!My Contact no is 98413 13527 and my address is No 7 A Prasanthi Apts TMM ST Vannanhturai Chennai 600041!MY email Id is esvee45@gmail.com
and esvee45@yahoo.co.in!Please ALL MMI Fanatics get into touch with ME and also attend the MONTHLY EVENT when in Chennai! MMI Salute!

venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Monthly MMI meet - Address
Renganathan E N
#4/4, Kumudh Apartments (1st Floor, Road-facing entrance)
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 900 302 7857
When
Sat APRIL 30TH, 6pm – 8pm
Where
MMI centenary celebrations monthly listening session
contact S.Venugopalan 9841313527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
PLEASE PUBLISH THIS IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN OF 1ST MAY ADYAR TIMES!
SUBJECT
CHITTI-MMI--GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!I
SPEAKERS-S/S KRA NARASIAH,SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN IPS ,SRI KO SELVAM AIR Rt
VENUE VIDYYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 5-30 PM MAY 1ST SUNDAY 2011
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527 0675&Kuppusamy nephew GUHAN PH 2452 0675

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

e: Madurai Mani Iyer » 25 May 2011 10:44

Monthly MMI meet - Address

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 900 302 7857
When
Sat MAY 28th, 6pm – 8pm
Where
MMI centenary celebrations monthly listening session
venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Sri Madurai Mani Iyer's
Classical Nusic

Date

28/05/2011 SATURDAY

Time

6.oo P.M. to 8.00P.M

Venue:

Sri EN Ranganathan's Residence
4/4 Kumudh Apartments,
Lakshmi Puram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
CHENNAI 6000 14
(Near Music Academy)

Light refreshments arranged

Please acknowledge receipt of this invitation
and
ATTEND THE SESSION WITHOUT FAIL.

S.Venugopalan

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I thank S/S VKV SIR AND CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR for all the guidance and inspiration.But I am greatly DISAPPOINTED that NONE of our rasikas ack such an effort of listening to MMI Monthly Seession in spite of several reminders.My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.
Pls See the attached invite seperately.WE NEED TO GATHER AND BRING BACK MMI TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION>PLEASE RESPOND RASIKAS!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
I am very HAPPY to record that today evening MMIs Musical evening was a big SUCCESS since 40 FANATIC rasikas gathered and listened to MMI in rapt attention for 130 minutes in the MOTTAI MAADI and it was very encouraging sign.Almost all of them heard MMIs live mostly in Kapali Temple and naturally majority of us are Senior Citizens even as per the norms of Income-Tax ie 65 years.The most welcome sign was there were about 5 youngsters of 20-30 age group too in spite of the reality of the situation that IPL finals between CSK and RCB was also there starting at 8PM.I am trying to drive home only one point.LET ALL OF US MMI MADDYS JOIN ATLEAST ONCE IN A MONTH TO LISTEN TO THE MAGICAL VOICE O MMI>I respect all the views but at the same time I am very CONFIDENT that by 2012 OCT 28 I can bell the praise of MMI into the ears of entire GLOBE!MMI died on June 8th 1968 even after 45 years MMI music lives ON!LET US JOIN TO LISTEN MMI!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear V.S.,
Congragulations! Keep it up & you will SUCCEED as MMI'S GREATNESS WILL OVERCOME ANY OBSTACLES.....He certainly proved it from the moment he appeared on the MUSIC SCENE & is still a FRESH MEMORY& INSPIRATION for anyone who is unbiased......VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer the musical genius of Carnatic Music died on 8th June 1968 mortally.But even today after 46 years of his death MMIs music lives in the millions of his FANATICS!MMI was perhaps like Sachin of cricket and Rajini of Silver screen in popularity in his living and non-living days.To quote an instance during the Navarahtri festival in the 50s and 60s in Mylapore@Madras@Chennai MMI used to draw very HUGE crowd and the entire audience used to be spell bound till the end of the concert which will be past midnight.At 12 midnight MMI will take up Sivans "KANA KAN KODI VENDUM" in KAMBODHI and the song will stretch up to 1 AM or so.When MMI used to sing KANDAN KARUNAI a song of late GUHAN the concluding lines of ANDAM VENDIDUM will be marked by the late Alangudi Ramachandrans throwing the GHATAM and Catching it!
It was a visual delight and the audience will become excited like Sachin hitting a 6 and winning the match>MMI was and will be the GREATEST!
venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next session is on June 25, 2011.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014The next session is on June 25, 2011.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

ear sangIthaprEmis
The next session is on AUGUST 27th SATURDAY.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm With SNACKS PL CONFIRM!

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857
S. Venugopalan: 98413 13527

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM
From: "Venugopalan S" <esvee45@yahoo.co.in>View contact details
To: "mylaporetimes@ .com" <mylaporetimes@vsnl.com>
PLEASE PUBLISH IT IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN!
The next session is on SEPTEMBER 24th SATURDAY.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm With SNACKS PL CONFIRM!

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857
S. Venugopalan: 98413 13527

cacm

Post by cacm »

UPDATE ON MMI CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS: 1) PL SEE POST#1 WHERE THE ORIGINAL DETAILS ABOUT THE COMMITTEE ARE GIVEN.
As we all know the MMMI centenary year has started with his 99thth birthday on OCT25,2011. I am giving details of the current status here.
1) The monthly MMI Monthly Concert Listening Sessions are going fabulously, doing very well with an average attendence of close to 50 persons at Sri. E.N.Renganathan's house with enormous help from Sri. Yessel Narasimhan and Sri.S.Venugopalan.
2) After nearly a year's attempt to open a Bank Account with various expert persons helping us to start a Bank Account in Chennai we have been unable to do so! So we are forced to resort to the following solution:
Since this is a TRUE GRASS ROOTS attempt and we want ANYONE wishing to contribute towards the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Function on oct 28th in Chennai to be able to do so in any fashion they wish to. Those wishing to send monetary contributions can send it to Sri. S.Venugpolan-address & phone no. given in,POST#1 in India and in North America to Dr.V.K.Viswanathan 690 Los Pueblos, Los Alamos, NM, 87544. TEL: 505-7958510 (cell). The accounts are open to anyone & will be properly audited to account for the details & in sharing the details of both functions & the expenditures.
3) As most of you know Sri. T.S. Vembu Iyer was the main reason MMI was even able to sing. His personal contributions & devotion to MMI were MONUMENTAL in stature & we are planning to celebrate Sri.Vembu Iyer's contributions on a separate day devoted to him before the oct 28 function. We will be sharing the details well in advance when the plans are finalised.
We hope to periodically update the status of these two events. As we had written before please share your suggestions to make these two functions worthy of the two great giants. Thanks, VKV

gopalasundaram

Post by gopalasundaram »

I appreciate the herculean efforts of Dr.VKV and Venu Sundar to celebrate the birth centenary of the legendary musician MMI in October 2012.Venu has been religiously texting me about the madhura neram monthly events but as I am out of Chennai since May 2011, I missed all those occasions. I am returning to Chennai in December 2011 and would like to actively participate in the events.

cacm

Post by cacm »

IN ORDER TO REPORT THE M.M.I. CENTENARY EFFORTS IN NORTH AMERICA DURING CLEVELAND ARADHANA THIS APRIL I WOULD LIKE THOSE WHO ARE LIKELY TO ATTEND THE CLEVELAND FESTIVAL TO LOOK UNDER "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" TITLE UNDER "CLEVELAND ARADHANA SCHEDULE POSTED" WHICH GIVES DETAILS OF WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN CLEVELAND. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Believe it or not!On April 12th 2012 at 6-30PM the ARKAY HALL AT THE LUZ was overflowing with 300+rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer 44 years after the death of the legendary musician and it was an emotional evening.The live concert was held during the RAMANAVAMI SERIES AT THE VENUS COLONY ALWARPET IN 1966 APRIL 12TH.MMI Birth Centenary Commitee organised the function to listen to the Master MAdurai Mani Iyer and the accompaniments were again the legendary Chowdiah on Violin and Palghat Mani Iyer on Mridangam and PMI 100 is also coinciding with the MMI 100!Sri Krishnan was on the Kanjira.MMI started off with Telsirama folllowed by RARA MINTIDAGA and APPA RAMA BHAKTI!Sarasa SAMA DANA was the main piece in Kapi narayaini and the concert included Entha Sowkiya Panile a Kapi ragam and incidentlaly MMI was a true good Coffee lover.MMI focussed on songs on LORD RAMA and it was MUSIC filled with BHAKTHI
all the way.The audience were the lucky lot and they responded very well and the hall was JAM PACKED TO SAY THE LEAST>ALL along 2and half hour concert all the fans of yesters of MMI PMI TS AND KRISH sat and stood in full attendance in spite of the fact it was Tamil New Year EVe and also CSK match was at the Chepauk on 12th evening.The organisation of the event was SIMPLY SUPERB one.Full credit goes to the parnership of the DUO S/S JAYARAMAKRISHNAN AND SLS AS HE IS known SLS NARASIMHAN for the FANTASTIC efforts.SLS was incharge of AUDIO and it was like MMI came down and treated us with his company of TS PMI AND KRISH.JRK SHOULD BEcomplimented for his silent and sincere work which brought out such great musical event.Arkay organisers did a fine job.KUDOS TO ALL

cacm

Post by cacm »

MMI CENTENARY RELATED CONCERTS AT THE RECENT CLEVELAND FESTIVAL 2012----BRIEF ACCOUNT
I am attempting to describe the various activities that many artists included in their concerts during the Aradhana this year in a concise fashion. I have arbitrarily classified them into two categories: 1) Totally devoted to MMI. 2) PART OF THE CONCERT included a tribute to MMI.
The GENERAL IDEA was to encompass the various aspects of his music throughout his career. I will cover them in a chronological fashion.
For Starters on Saturday April 7 as part of the Release Function V.K.Viswanathan (on behalf of the countless number of MMI Rasikas throughout the World) presented V.V.Sundaram a two dvd set on MMI (the man & his music) made by them to acknowledge his innovative efforts to bring the contributions of MMI to the attention of the rasikas through out the world. Next a 2.5 hour Sangeetha Ratnakara Ramnad Sri.V.Raghavan Memorial Concert (an annual event) by the torch bearers of the Cleveland Festival was performed by Sustaining Sampradaya ( a selected group of roughly 30 student musicians mostly born or raised in North America from childhood and trained for 3 months by leading Vidwans and Vidushis from Chennai) with the Title "Homage to Madurai Sri Mani Iyer" simulating a typical MMI Concert.
On Sunday morning Chitraveena N.Ravikiran gave a BRILLIANT Concert (as usual! He somehow renders a concert every year at Cleveland which is better than the previous year's- an almost impossible event considering his high levels!) in which he paid homage to PMI, BRINDA, and MMI. He chose to expound on Bahudari & Brovabaramma. His lucid rendering made the rare raga simple& he definitely brought out HOW MMI managed to make rare ragas look so easy! In the afternoon Smt. Anuradha Sridhar and her students from Trinity School in CA made a UNIQUE Presentation: They rendered Thayae Yasodha EXACTLY (EVERY BIT BY BIT IN COMPUTERESE TERMS) as MMI-LGJ-V.R. had performed in a concert; It was not only a tribute to MMI but the GENIUS of all three artists & how they meshed their creativity! Anuradha made LGJ proud as well as the ones who had heard that piece realise the TRUE GREATNESS of these giants and made persons like me realise how lucky we are that the Tradition is being furthered by her. Monday saw "Texas Talents" trained by Smt. Rajeshwari Bhatt (sister of Vittal Ramamurthy) tackle the difficult and Favourite R.T.P. OF MMI "Parimala Rangapathe" perfectly.
Next I wish to highlight THREE Concerts exclusively concentrating on MMI and his music. On Tuesday Smt. Gayathri Girish gave an Excellent Concert interspersed with explanations about MMI & why he chose to emphasise TAMIL COMPOSITIONS well before the start of the Tamil Isai Movement. His ability to include these as major items in his concerts as well as making them famous and his affinity for Papanasam Sivan were clearly explained by her. She cemented her reputation not just as a great performer but as an artiste who could communicate & explain things with empathy, a major trait of MMI himself. She managed to cover the entire gamut of songs MMI made famous and the musical, nationalistic and patriotic contexts of the times in which MMI grew up and lived and presented through his music etc. Her choices of Thayae Yezhaippal, Paamalaikkinai yundo, Thathvamariya Tharama, Thayae Yasodha, as well as pieces by major tamil composers were excellent and represented the BEST in Tamil Compositions. I particularly want to mention "Ganamudha Panam" in Jyotiswarupini by Koteeswara Iyer which was rendered brilliantly & creatively. After S.Rajam, Gayatri in my opinion did perfect justice to the composer as well as the raga and composition. The icing on the cake was her pointing out that MMI in his first appearance in 1927 at Music Academy sang all the 72melakarthas- Koteeswara Iyer being the first to compose in all the 72 mela kartha ragas in TAMIL! On the whole an educational as well as exciting presentation of a very high standard, ......a fitting tribute to MMI

TO BE CONTINUED
Last edited by cacm on 18 May 2012, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

CONTINUATION OF POST#20-cacm
The second of exclusively MMI oriented concerts was on Thursday by the Swetaranyam Sisters: Smt R.Vidya and Kum. Nithya.They are the chief disciples of late Tiruvengadu Jayaraman whom I consider to be the ONE TRUE DISCIPLE of MMI considering EVERY aspect of the immortal MMI. He always projected the PUREST & BEST of MMI'S Music in his concerts suppressing the temptation to copy his individual style, mannerisms etc. Their father was very close to MMI & actually was one of the four persons who carried the mortal remains of MMI on his way to ETERNITY. Consequently their concert was an excellent musical description of what all the good music MMI was all about & reflected his creativity & glory. MOST of the MMI favourites, THE ONES HE HAS MADE ETERNALLY POPULAR were rendered with the classicism & rigour. A fitting tribute to both the history of MMI as a teacher & a performing artist.
The third Concert was that of Suryaprakash who has the right pedigree in that he is the student of Sri. T.V.Sankaranarayanan who learnt from MMI himself and has benefitted from it immensely. He was asked to bring out the creativity & originality of the Manodharma aspects of MMI'S Music as well the ENERGISING ASPECTS of A MMI CONCERT, a tall order! To his credit Suryaprakash a very talented & capable perfomer on his own amply succeeded. When he rendered Sarasa samadhana with the able support of Nagai Sri Ram & Thanjavur Murugabhoopathy the EXCITEMENT OF A LIVE MMI CONCERT was duplicated & the thundering applause at the end was proof if any was needed. As one who has heard close to a thousand concerts of MMI I can say with confidence & honesty for fleeting moments at least I felt the presence of MMI. His choice of R.T.P. in Shanmugapriya " Gandhi mahan Mani Mozhi Vazhi Nadappom" was brilliantly rendered also. It brought back not only the memories of MMI the great musician but also the great Nationalist who inspired the freedom struggle & the contributions of the MANIKKODI WRITERS- RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RENAISSANCE OF TAMIL LITERATURE- like CHITTI SUNDARARAJAN, T.Janakiraman & others. The R.T.P. was composed by CHITTI at the request of MMI after Gandhiji was assasinated & was a BIG HIT!

TO BE CONTINUED.

cacm

Post by cacm »

THE CONCERTS WHERE PART OF THE CONCERT PAID TRIBUTE TO MMI'S MEMORY & CONTRIBUTIONS:
Sri.R.K.Srikantan is the ONLY musician active today who knew, met and performed in front of Harikesanallur Muthiah Bahagvathar- the acknowleged GIANT of Carnatic Music. He was the GURU of MMI & taught specifically 25 of his compositions which MMI FEATURED in every one of his concerts without fail ( like the Navagraha Kritis). Sri Srikantan's Concert on Tuessday night was SUPERB as usual and he paid tribute to MMI by including several of Bhagavathar's compositions MMI made famous& popular songs like Vijayambikae, Sarasamughi ( which he had kindly taught the Sustaining Sampradhaya group)& others now a days rarely heard!
On Thursday night- the night concerts are the major featured concerts-SMTs. SUGUNA Purushottaman & Suguna Varadhachari ( Ably supported by KUMs. K.Gayathri & Brinda Manikkavasagam) upheld the Fabulous Musiri Tradition but paid SPECIAL Tribute to MMI, PMI & Brinda with a Fantastic special Pallavi composed by the specialist SMT. Suguna Purushotthaman in the R.T.P. Next day K.Gayathri in her brilliant concert rendered a special tribute to MMI by rendering a composition composed by Suguna Purushothaman the previous night!
The concert by Dr. Nirmala Sundararajan featured the famous Kolar Padhigam virutham a favourite of MMI as her tribute.
The Night Featured Concert the one& only T.N.S. He was outstanding as usual but particularly demonstrated what a great GENIUS he was by rendering his specially composed Pallavi on MMI, PMI & BRINDA which incorporated very difficult complex rythmns(as a tribute to PMI); But he demonstrated SUCCESSFULLY how the fundamandal BULDING BLOCK was Sarvalaghu favoured by MMI!...An astounding creative feat which I feel only TNS can do among today's artists...

I REQUEST OTHERS TO FILL IN DETAILS OR CONCERTS I MISSED. IN MY OPINION THE CONCERTS AT CLEVELAND FULFILLED THE DESIRES OF RASIKAS LIKE ME WHO WANTED A COMPREHENSIVE SURVEY OF THE GREAT MUSICAL CONTRIBUTIONS OF MMI BY ARTISTS OF TODAY WHO CLEARLY SHOWED & DEMOSTRATED HIS ACHEIVEMENTS.
I CONGRAGULATE V.V.S. FOR PUTTING TOGETHER A COMPLETE LIST OF PROGRAMS BY LEADING ARTISTS COVERING THE MONUMENTAL MUSICAL ACHEIVEMENTS OF M.M.I. I am sure MMI would have been beaming down from above in Approval!...VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear VKV Sir,
We the MMI Madddys are very fortunate to have U and CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR to spread the magic of MMI.We are also very lucky to know about the greatness of BRINDA and the genius of PMI.We salute UR efforts to take the culture abroad and also preserve the same for our future generations.We are all eagerly waiting to see U and SUndaram sir soon to celebrate the Centenary of MMI in great style in October 2012!In this connection we want to convey to U we the MMI maddys are at UR BECK and CALL totally.Reg MMI UR whisper is our command.MMI the great!

cacm

Post by cacm »

DEAR Venusundar, Thanks for your kind sentiments......WE need the help & support of ALL OF YOU to properly celebrate MMI'S GREATNESS...I will soon write here the SPECIFIC PLANS & NEEDS. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

madura nEram - மதுர நேரம் - MMI listening session on 26.05.012

dear sangIthaprEmis
The next MMI listening session will be on Saturday 26.05.012 at Krishna Gana Sabha.

The session will start by 5:30pm.

As we are getting closer to the centenary birthday of MMI a full concert running for about 3+ hours will be played. Come prepared to soak in MMI's music and stay soaked!! And there may be some live surprises too!!

As usual don't ask me for the accompanists and the recording of the concert.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer music is part of many MMI Maddys lives.It was amply proved again on the 26th May 2012 when his concert of Shanmukananda Hall Bomby@Mumbai waselayed LIVE and the fans of the great MAdurai Mani iyer were present well in advance of the schduled time of 5-30 PM.The credit goes to ALL the rasikas and more important to S/'s SL Narasimhan,VIjaykumar and Jayaramakrishnan for their very sincere and dedicated efforts Kudos to the trio for reviving the memories of great and soulful music.The highlight of the evening was the presence of legenday Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman Sir who accompanied MMI along with the late powerful Palghat Mani Iyer on
Mridangam and Sri Kothanda raman on Ghatam.
MADURA MANI concert started with the popular and evergreen NADA THANUMANUSAM and in the native language KUTCHERI
KALAI KATTIYADHU.MMI followed it with Sahasra Kala mandithe
Koluvai Unnade Muthuswami Iyer Krithi and Dharini Telusukunti was
in detail and the team of Lalgudi,PMI and KR Iyer excelled in all aspects of the soulful song.Of course the BEST was YET TO BE and
Sivans KANAKANKODI VENDUAM was taken up and this writer could SEE many of the rasikas were NOT only excited but also a few
became too emotional with JOYOUS tears inn their eyes.As it was very
aptly put on the ADs KETKA KODI KAATHU VENDUM.KAA VAA
and Kandan Karunai songs were on the list and Mathrubutham and the RAGAM THANAM PALLAVI In SHnmugapriya was another hit.Even
at 15 minutes past 9 PM the rasikas numbering 150 or so at that stage
refused to accept the concert was over Such was the magic of MMI team consisting of LALGUDI PMI AND KR IYER<We are all very much indebted to MADURAI MANI 100 organisers in particular to S/S SL NARASIMHAN JRK AND VIJAYAKUMAR FOR THE EVENT>
The MADDYS OF MMI left the venue with Madurai Mani on their lips

The wonderful concert began with Nadha Thanumanusam and the maddys were excited to the extreme and the concert started with a magical touch at once.The audience became very emotional including the writer who rarely missed any nMMI concert in his hay days.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Normally, I edit my post from my blog and reproduce here. But this, I reproduce as it is........

Ever energetic “Yessel” organised a programme on MMI live on Saturday, the 26th May 2012.

It was organised in Krishna gAna sabhA. Yessel must have got lot of confidence after seeing the crowd in RK Convention Centre.

To tell you about the RK Convention Centre Programme, last month there was another live recording of MMI that had been played and nearly 300 people attended in the centre which has the capacity of only 100. One could see people sitting in stairs listening to the concert. (as told by KGS secretary)

To my knowledge, I have never seen a recording being played in a sabha and attended by 300 people with an empty dais. I have seen the dais full and few rasikas but not this way. Even I saw few people in the last 2-3 rows. Great going...GKD (gAna kalA dhara)

This was for the first time that the podium is empty throughout 3 hours and 30 minutes with only a portrait of Shri MMI and people were clapping, besh, sabhAsh many times to acknowledge the best of music of Shri MMI. I was wondering if some unknown person visited that day, what he would have thought about us- Audio playing, podium empty......and rasikas sitting in rapt attention....!

This concert was the programme of 1957 at Mumbai –Shri MMI with Shri LGS and Shri PMI and Shri Umalyalpuram Kothandarama Iyer-Ghatam. Though I have the recording with me and I have heard it few times, KGS acoustics and MMI’s voice were superb and one should be there to experience that. Honestly, at home, I would never have heard this concert continuously for 3.30 hours. I wanted to make it at any cost as I missed RK Convention concert. PMI's mridangam as it must have been too close to mike was like a thunder.

Interestingly, I met a person who attended 1957 concert in Mumbai. He added that the concert was held at PoddAr College hAll and not in ShanmugAnandA hall as the hall was not constructed at that time. This was like- rasikas sitting on the floor and the artists sitting on the bench covered by carpet. Kudos to some “mahAnubhavA” who recorded the concert. He also added that it was july concert and on a Thursday, with heavy pouring outside. I realised later that the disturbances in between must have been because someone opening the nearby door.

Brihaspathe-atAna kriti-one of the navagraha kritis was not played (deleted) because it was Saturday. I strongly felt that kriti also should have been played. Any kriti on any day by MMI is a beauty..

Another news was that LGJ was 27 years old and a bachelor.

Shri LGJ’s presence moved many of the rasikAs, including me in tears. Each and every time when the violin played, whether it was Bairavi, vAchaspathi, kAmbodhi... I could not stop seeing this Great Man in sheer admiration.. “Oh God. What a magic he created during those years”. In KGS, when I saw his hands trembling and one of his colleagues lifted his hand, I was crestfallen and thought- “the hand which created magic and making me everyday even today (today morn, I was listening to GNB,LGJ, PMI) -and could not reconcile the reality of age factor. If we take the Ranjani ragamalika pallavi in that concert. The way he played ranjani varNam with Shri GNB (my morning) and the way he played for Shri MMI - what a difference. sheer job/ecstacy. MMI's occassional accolades..!!!!. wah.

While MMI was singing swaram in Bairavi, LGJ's assistant was wiping his tears with a cloth. I did not know whether it is the music or because of his health. But it was really touching scene I will never forget in my life.

Let me take Einstein’s comment on Gandhi, to suit to our Shri LGJ

“Generations to come, it may be, will scarce believe that such one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth. We are happy to see him live sitting next to us in flesh and blood”

His son’s GJR krishnan’s smile, while LGJ playing violin, was to show the “Proud” movements of son-father relationship.

Coming back to Shri MMI, also met few people who attended 400-500 concerts. I could have got more stories if they are asked to speak. But the concert duration and the paucity of time as KGS needed to close the halll. Another wonder was at least 60-70 people were there till the last minute and no one walked out during Tani. !!!!!!.

One thing is certain- I need to precaution Yessel to be more careful in arranging the programmes like this.. If it is continued, certain things will happen..

1. He may have to hold the session in Chepauk statdium or Nehru stadium very soon

2. This will spread to all the other metros and we can meet Yessel only in the Airports.

3. Cleveland will have a session of his 1963 Programme.

4. Above all, December season, MMI will be a tough competition for other artists. The other sabhas may have to refuse to give timing for other artists because of overwhelming response to MMI concert.

5. MA- December season will read like this.

24.12.12- 7.30 PM

Madurai Mani Iyer- Vocal
TN Krishann- Violin
Palani Subramaniya Pillai-Mridangam
Umayalpuram Kothandarama Iyer- Ghatam
This was 1962 programme held in Calcutta
With an introduction speech by Trichy sankaran on his guru Palani and about the programme.
No season tickets will be allowed for this. Only Daily tickets. Price will be.....
Raskias will be requested to take the seats one hour before the programme as the seats will be served first cum first serve basis.
There was no 4.30 PM concert on this day.

Coming back to KGS, Rasikas request was pouring after RTP, He started with yerumayil in Mohanam followed by kandhan karunai, all murugan songs.

Thanks yessel... once again, for making my week end so nice and wonderful. With the scorching heat outside and humid condition, this was a sort of big relief.

kapali

Post by kapali »

Interesting and lively post written with feeling and nostalgia. This novel concert format being presented during and as part of the MMI centenarary celebrations and has become so successful should be an excellent opportunity now for all those who had not attended MMI'concerts and who would like to become a part of that experience. I am sure this will turn out to be a hit in other cities also as mentioned by Sri GR Sastrigal.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I have been listening to this Bombay concert and some hundreds of his other concerts for more than 25 years but still with the acoustics of Krishna Ghana Sabha with hundreds of rasikas it was really a great experience and MMI came " live " on the stage. Thanks to Essel & Co.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

This is unbelievable - a near full house @ KGS for a recorded concert. Kudos to all organizers and the die-hard rasikas who came in numbers.
Dunno what can we infer from this ? In this age of abhangavanis, there are still die-hard fans for good music ?

In that concert, I love MMI renditions of Bruhaspathe, Seethavara Sangeetha and Sree Mathrubootham, ... When MMI sings Kandan Karunai (Beemplas) esp. during andamadium adimanganum ...., there is only ghatam accompaniment - and it so melodious ... shows the restraint of PMI.

cacm

Post by cacm »

[quote="annamalai"]This is unbelievable - a near full house @ KGS for a recorded concert. Kudos to all organizers and the die-hard rasikas who came in numbers.
Dunno what can we infer from this ? In this age of abhangavanis, there are still die-hard fans for good music ?

KNOWING the ORGANISERS (having worked with them) I am not surprised! ALL THE KUDOS TO THEM& THE RASIKAS.....A GOOD OMEN FOR THE OCT 28 MMI FUNCTION AT CHENNAI BHARATHIYA VIDYA BHAVAN (2: 30-9:30 P.M.). DETAILS SOON......YOUR WORDS " good music" took me back exactly 55 years when the immortal MALI was asked for suggestions by a visitor where he can listen to "good music"; Mali without a moment of hesitation or thinking said right away go and listen to Madurai Mani Iyer! He repeated it to several others also. Mali was a big fan of MMI!....VKV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Really Very Happy to know Mali's suggestion to hear MMI's music........MMI's music is EVERGREEN............each song is a gem by itself......each song can be heard 1000 times still we would love to listen......that's the impact of one & only one MMI !!! I really don't know how many times i would have listened " vinanaa sahkuni " in Pratapa Varali. Listening still continues.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

GRSastrigal, thanks for your recollections of the concert.
I was deeply touched by your description of the great Lalgudi-sir's presence at this event. What history we celebrate in our music!

I cannot believe that a person can command such a following decades after his passing. Only MMI!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear rasikas,
I was enthused (by this reportage duly conveyed by a good friend) to search and download this(?) concert recording from sangeethapriya.org. Unfortunately the recording quality of that concert is not too good. Also it is labelled as 1956 MMI-LGJ-PMI-AR. Is it the same concert? Where can I purchase a good quality recording please? Thanks....

cacm

Post by cacm »

mahavishnu wrote: I cannot believe that a person can command such a following decades after his passing. Only MMI!
Dear mahavishnu,
I have pondered this question for several decades and the answer comes from MMI himself! If you read the article by B.V.K.Sastry as well as his radio interview- both available on Disc1 of the free dvd set given away at cleveland-MMI has pointed out the CRUCIAL ROLE of Swara Suddham, Sruti Suddham, sarvalaghu& laya suddham, in addition to a good voice ALL OF them ATTAINABLE BY PRACTICE (which he has described) and APPLYING these to the compositions of the TRINITY(without which there is no Carnatic Music acc to MMI)......VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VKV sir, Yes I agree 100%.
And thank you for putting together the two-disc DVD set released during the Cleveland aradhana this year. The collection is well produced, compiled with a lot of love, devotion and passion and top it all off, it serves to educate people like myself who were born after MMI's passing.

Unfortunately, I will have to miss out on the centenary functions in Chennai due to work commitments.

I was also curious about which concert particular concert this was (MMI LGJ PMI Bombay '57). And if a good quality recording was available in the public domain. There are many people like me who are willing to pay top dollar for such a treasure.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Mahavishnu & others interested in this particular concert:
I will be happy to search for this concert which EXISTS in my collection but I need some time as I am very busy with my trip to chennai before which I have visits within N.A. scheduled. If I am able to locate it easily I will write hear about it. Actually after I return in NOV my next main project is to concentrate on ALL concerts I HAVE of MMI recorded WELL & AVAILABLE. Of course it will be available FREE to any one interested.VKV

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear VKV Sir,
I have now uploaded this Bombay Concert for the benefit of Rasikas . I think this will benefit those Rasikas who are not very concious of QUALITY . My feeling is that this recording is slightly better than the one that was played at KGS venue on 26 th. The link is http://www.mediafire.com/?b7ybakz86q8v9.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MMI-LGJ-PMI-UmayKoth- BombayShanmughananda-1957
---------------------------------------------------------------

Song list of #38 post, I am sure Balummi has given the same

01- Nadha Dhanu.mp3
02 - O Jegadamba.mp3
03 - Shasrakara.mp3
04 - Brahaspathe.mp3

05 - Bairavi.mp3
06 - Koluvai.mp3
07 - Chethasri.mp3

08 - Dharini Telusu.mp3
09 - Dharini contd..mp3
10 - Thani.mp3

11 - Seethavara Sangeetha.mp3
12 - Khamboji.mp3
13 - Kaana Kann Koti.mp3
14 - Contd.,.mp3

15 - Ka Va Va.mp3
16 - Sri Mathrubootham.mp3
17 - RTP - Shanmugapriya.mp3
18 - RTP - Contd..mp3
19 -Contd..mp3
20 - Erumayil & Kandan.mp3

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Excellent recording of this concert was available in Sangeethapriya. I have recorded portions of it. Naada thanum;Chetasri & Sri Mathrubhutam i keep enjoying daily!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks, friends.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Sri Balummi,
Many thanks for uploading the concert files at Mediafire. The files are of better audio quality than the ones I had.
Thank you for your kindness.
Sachi

cacm

Post by cacm »

UPDATE ABOUT MMI CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS AT CHENNAI ON SUNDAY OCT 28, 2012 AT BHARATHIYA VIDYA BHAVAN MYLAPORE: (2 P.M.-9 P.M.):
CURRENT TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EXPECTED HAPPENINGS: SUBJECT TO AGREEMENT FROM EVERY ONE LISTED HERE-THEIR CONFIRMATIONS ARE EXPECTED AFTER DISCUSSIONS WITH THEM-

START WITH PRAYER SONG BY SMT. Nithya & KUM. Vidya at 2 p.m. First session :
PRESENTATIONS ABOUT VARIOUS ASPECTS OF M.M.I.'S MUSIC. Starting with excerpts of a PARTICULAR M.M.I. CONCERT- 1964 MUSIC ACADEMY CONCERT WITH ACCOMPANISTS MYSORE T.CHOWDIAH- VELLORE RAMABHADRAN - ALANGUDI RAMACHANDRAN as a tribute to ALL the ARTSISTS, Dr. S.A.K.Durga, Dr. M.Narmadha, & K.S.KALIDAS WILL DISCUSS DETAILS ABOUT MMI AS MISICIAN & THE MAIN ARTIST, FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF WHAT AN ACCOMPANIST CAN LEARN FROM ACCOMPANYIONG MMI, THE DIFFICULTIES OF LAYA ARTISTS AS ACCOMPANISTS TO M.M.I.
THE SECOND SESSION WILL START WITH MANGALA ISAI BY NADASWARA VIDWANS S.KASIM & S.BABU FOLLOWED BY PRAYER SONG BY MRS. Aruna Ranganathan. THERE WILL BE A SERIES OF AWARD PRESENTATIONS & SPEECHES covering MMI & his MUSIC BY VARIOUS PERSONS . DR.V.K.Viswanathan & Cleveland V.V.Sundaram will be the moderators. Sri. Chitraveena Ravikiran will be the MAIN SPEAKER.
This will be followed by one and a half hour concerts covering MMI'S FAVOURITE songs by SMT. GAYATHRI GIRISH & PARTY AND SURYAPRAKASH& PARTY. These two artists TOTALLY dedicated their concerts to aspects of MMI'S MUSIC AT ITS BEST at the recent CLEVELAND FESTIVAL& THEIR CONCERTS WERE BOTH INSPIRING & A TOTAL SUCCESS.
MORE DETAILS IN DUE COURSE. PLEASE RESERVE THIS DATE AS IT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT CELEBRATION OF M.M.I. AND HIS ACHEIVEMENTS. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

AN URGENT REQUEST:
I am trying to collect a LIST OF SONGS RENDERED IN CONCERTS BY M.M.I. I personally know that he knew A LOT MORE THAN HE PRESENTED IN HIS CONCERTS but did not present all his repertoire for various reasons based on discussions with him as well as Late Vellore Ramabhadran. Though I have a long list of his concerts I DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THEM.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY LIST FROM ANYONE. I AM PLANNING TO PUBLISH IT AS PART OF THE BROCHURE TO BE DISTRIBUTED ON THE CENTENARY CELEBRATONS AT BVB.
PLEASE send the list to me at : vkv@juno.com THANKS, VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV Sir
Very nice to hear that you are conducting the celebrations . Link of VishnuRamPrasad , mmi website is giving list of his songs to a certain extent
http://maduraimani.tripod.com/id31.html

cacm

Post by cacm »

Rajeshnat, Thanks. I request others to give their lists also. VKV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

VKV sir, It will be nice to hear MMI's "koluvai" in Bhairavi ; "Vinanaa sakhuni" in Prathaapa varaali; "Nijamarma" in Umaabharanam, Sarasaangi Ragam and Swathi Thirunal's Jaya Jaya Padmanaabha song( This may be the only song of ST sung by MMI ?) in the celebrations.
Although it will be very difficult to play so many of his songs in the celebrations some special songs have to be played is my request. " manasu nilpa " in Abhogi is another such song - ( I vaguely remember-this is an AIR Concert- Balummi can confirm)

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Manjunath & VKV Sir ,
MMI had sung Manasu Nilpa ( Abhogi ) twice over AIR , once in the National Programme with Chowdiah and another in the normal AIR Chennai broadcast with Govindasamy Naicker .
Some of the other rare recordings are :
Karunai Seivai ( Hamsadwani ) with Lalgudi Sir
Sarojadala ( Sankarabaranam ) - twice in the AIR broadcast
Akshayalinga ( Sankarabaranam ) with TNK
All the Navagraha and Navavarna Kritis of Dikshitar excluding the compositions in Ganta , Ahiri & Sri
Nithya Rupa - Darbar
Vasudeva Eni - Kalyani
Seethavara - Devagandari
Ninnu Vina - Thodi
Ra la Seetha - Hindola Vasantham
and many more . This list is not complete.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

palukava dEmi ra rama- Devamanohari- Mysore vasudevachar- this is in an AIR Album also a rare song.

manasu nilpa with Chowdiah has an excellent swara rendition. I have not heard with Govinda Swamy Naiker

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear VSManjunath & BaluMMI,
EVERY SONG RENDERED BY MMI IN THE CELEBRATIONS ORGANISED BY THE GROUP FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS WAS CHOSEN FOR VERY SPECIFIC REASONS. The same logic applies to the Centenary Celebrations & I hope to explain why the choices were made during the Function.
THANKS & PLEASE CONTINUE WRITING THE LIST OF SONGS. VKV