Value of OVK's contributions

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Re: Value of OVK's contributions

Post by cmlover »

Actually Siva had six faces one of which is hidden. It is the adho mukham which becomes manifest only on special occasions. When skanda was created a spark from each of the six faces emanated which joined in the sharavaNa poigai to create the six children later unified by Parvati into the single Shanmuga. Kripananda variar clearly deliniates the birth of skanda in his discourses. In fact Shanmuga is a spitting image of his Father with each face resembling his dad (with three eyes etc.,)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Ravikiran - thank you....the words gave me goosebumps...I will download the song when I get home...It is awesome....loved the part where the sun becomes the ball!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks R.K. for the information about OVK's telegu composition
I think that there are no composition of thyagaraja in tamil either,

now about the five faces. I revised some puranic tales. According to kandapuranam, MURUGA kills Surapadman. In the final battle every time Muruga's vel takes off one head of Surapadman. he comes back with another head which Muruga takes off again. This happens five times successively(remember the kanda sashti festival at tiruchendur where the idols of the lord and that of the demon walk back and forth 5 times ) This boon of 5 resurrections was given to Surapadman by Lord Siva. So Muruga surpasses the boon given by Siva ( mEleri), anju mugam kanda to be taken to mean won over five heads.This also sounds Ok

hamsaa

Post by hamsaa »

Chitravina Ravikiran wrote:

OVK has used this phrase in a couple of other pieces too like sEnApatE namOstutE (gowLa).
Another one I can think of is the Dhyana stuti in Kalyani of the navavaranam set - Vancchasi yadi.

gajamukha guruguha vinutAm

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Interesting puranic interpretation ponbhairavi!
You can also use the plain interpretation of 'anju = fearing' to suggest that he witnessed
the element of fear on Surapadman (since he was never afraid of anybody until he encountered the prowess of Muruga...)

chitravina ravikiran

Post by chitravina ravikiran »

Very instructive to read the various interpretations of just the first lines of this composition. A great rasika once wrote that creativity of a true artiste can be measured by the extent to which he/she is able to stimulate imagination among listeners. The same holds good for creativity among composers like OVK, Tyagaraja, MD etc. Every look at some of the pieces can give us fresh perspectives.

I have been wondering about the last two lines of the charanam of this song, which I have reproduced entirely. Audio of this is available in an album that I played for King Records in Japan (with Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and Ghatam Karthick).

husEni - Adi tALA.

P: aDimuDi kANAda deivattin mElEri anju mukham kaNDa deivamE engaL
Arumukham kaNDa deivamE engaL Arumukham koNDa deivamE

A: paDi palavAna pazhani malaimElE pArkkat-tighaTTAda panniru kai vElA

innAr innapaDi enrE terinda pin eDuttu sholvadenrO nIti
ennAlE sholvadalla indap-pazhamozhi ettanaiyO pEr shonna shEdi
shonnAlum teriyAda tUya niraivAna shuddha nirguNamAna jyOti
ponnAlE AnAl enna - Ambalam ambalamE pinnAl teriyum anda shEdi

The last two lines (in bold) suggest some kind of a sequel song? Or is it a philosophical ending? There are a few songs of OVK which have baffled scholars at times but meanings have been found after deeper studies.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Ravikiran, IMO, he is alluding to the 'cidambara rahasiyam' through those lines...

The cidambara rahasiyam is 'open space' - cidAkAram - could also be a light (jyOti) that is truly (Suddha) without guNa, good or bad (nirguNamAna), filled (niraivAna) immaculate purity (tUya) that ordinary mortals cannot understand (teriyAda) even if explained (SonnAlum) to us. So what (enna) if that (temple) is made of gold (ponnAlE AnAl) (reference to the ponnambalam), a temple (ambalam) is a just temple (ambalamE); but that (anda) secret/knowledge (SEdi) will become apparent (teriyum) later (pinnAl)...
pinnAl could also mean 'after embracing' or 'becoming one with (the lord)'

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

nice explanation!
But this is a song on Muruga and not Nataraja!
How does this fit?

chitravina ravikiran

Shankar,

I agree with that explanation and I had arrived at it too.

1. But as CML says, how is that linked to this song on Muruga?

2. Also the first 4 lines of the charanam talks about the ideal approach for a judge. Would that be tied to the famous mango story where Muruga felt that the judgement was not fair, which in turn resulted in glory for Pazhani as a kShEtra?

3. If one were to take pinnal teriyum anda sheidi literally, it could be a prelude to another opera or at least sequel that he composed (or intended to compose).

Some OVK experts have linked Adinan vilaiyadinan (Sama) as a prelude to the operatic song on pranavopadesham.

Musically speaking, Huseni for this song is a great choice by OVK for a song that has blended lilting and peppy elements with a mild percentage of hasya rasa thrown in... He has used the same raga for satire on Krishna in another composition, ADum varai avar ADaTTum.

PS: I am giving audio information because a few rasikas like Sreenadh ji felt that it would be nice to hear the audios to relate better to the musical values of OVK.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

innAr innapaDi enrE terinda pin eDuttu sholvadenrO nIti
ennAlE sholvadalla indap-pazhamozhi ettanaiyO pEr shonna shEdi
To explain this caraNam you have to take it as a whole:
I resort to Tamil here for ease of explanation since the main points will be lost in translation. My apologies...
I am posting the audio rather than in Tamil scripts since some of you may not be able to read Tamil..
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dtndj7c0kcrl8e6

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlover wrote:nice explanation!
But this is a song on Muruga and not Nataraja!
How does this fit?
OOps...doesn't fit....

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

May I venture one Possible interpretation?
The subject of the song is Muruga
-Pallavi talks about the prowess of Muruga son of Siva who has slain the five faced Asura.
- Anupallavi talks specifically of the lord who dwells on the Hill Palani . The word Hill brings forth to his mind the thought of another hill with which a story is attached. Hence the coherence with charanam.
- In the first 2 lines of the charanam OVK lays foundation that he is going to talk about some secret controversy which should be exposed ( eduthu cholvadhu) told only after knowing the person’s conviction and beliefs( innar innabadi).– OVK who has composed songs on Muruga and Krishna does not have personally any saivam vaishnavam bedham that is why this elaborate precaution. Caution again:

- I am not the person who is telling this proverb ( old orally propagated story )this has been told by so many people
Even If you say this( story) people cannot see it( theriyadha)
In the olden days there was a story that the idol atop the Tirupathi hill was in fact that of muruga but the idol is covered with gold kavacham to make it look like Perumal.
This jyothi (refer to Arunagirinathar’s “deepa mangala jyothi namo namo to indicate Muruga ) which is the immaculate complete and suddha nirguna brahmam what if it is covered with gold ? ambalam ambalame everything is space only( in the meaning of advaithic paramporul - ) this will be resolved in some future day.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ponbhairavi - wonderful....!!!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

interesting insight!

chitravina ravikiran

Thank you CML and PB for very interesting and insightful interpretations. I also checked CML's audio explanation. Since the piece offers us scope to interpret, here is another thought that came to me... Please see if it makes sense.

1. The Pallavi says Muruga did what Brahma and Vishnu could not do - see the very limit of Shiva.

2. The charanam puts him on a pedastal with respect to Shiva himself - without alluding to his role as Shiva's guru.

3. Even if the tUya niraivAna shuddha nirguNamAna jyOti was made to get an abode of Gold (ponnAlE AnAl enna), the secret of ambalam (chidambaram/akasha/Shiva) is now ambalamE (out in the open). It was Muruga who had to give the upaesham to his father...

Tthe hero of this piece has been projected even above the Trinity without even mentioning their names... It also looks like OVK is playing on the word ambalam. He was a master of word play in both Tamil and Sanskrit and I will share more examples soon.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That sounds quite reasonable since it boosts the image of Muruga.
But then are you sure there is no missing charanam here?
Again there is no madhyama kaalam here which apparently is a favourite of OVK!

chitravina ravikiran

OVK and Madhyamakala

OVK is one of the greatest masters of madhyamakala in Indian music. It has to be noted that MK is one of the most dazzling features of music, when handled by a master composer. However, for musicians, it can be highly daunting - because it requires tremendous skills in melody, rhythm and pronunciation as well as lyrics as well as breath-control. But true skill lies in being able to master MK and render it with bhava, rakti and bhakti, be it the works of OVK, Tyagaraja, MD, Mysore Sadashiva Rao or HH Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar's compositions. But this is not impossible, if one works hard.

MK is generally used as an optional part by most composers, often to serve as a contrast/punctuation point. Almost invariably, it is used only at the end of a section. However, OVK has employed MK in at least 10 different ways. It is surely one of his greatest melodic contributions and one of his most distinctive features as well. From the point of view of MK usage, his compositions can be classified as below:

1. Pieces with no madhyamakalas.
Eg: Rajaraja gopala (Manji), Ennadan inbam kandayo (Devagandhari), Parvai onre podume (Surati) - Adi 2-kalais.
Taye yashoda (Todi), Kathaya kathaya (Suruti), Adimudi kanada (Huseni) Adi 1-kalai.
Enna punniyam sheideno sad gurunatha and Koti janmani saphalani santu (Reetigowla) - Mishra Chapu
Agama rajagopala (Kedaram) and Vandaduvum ponaduvum (Bilahari) - Khanda Chapu.

2. Compositions which are wholly in MK. Eg: Pranavakaram (Arabhi) and Ananda nartana ganapatim - Nattai

3. Pieces mostly in MK but have normal speed sections more for contrast. Eg: Shri Vighnarajam bhaje (Gambheeranattai) and Chintittavar These are brilliant examples which inverse conventional concept of compositions where MKs are used in small doses more as contrast.

4. Conentional pieces with a sprinkling of MK: Hundreds of examples like Geeta rasike (Kalyani), Brindavana nilaye (Reetigowla), Adinan (Sama).

5. Pieces with several charanams in MK: Saptaratna krtis, Ranganatham anisham (Gambheeranattai) and Kshanameva Ganya (Bhoopalam).

6. Pieces where MK is used within a section, in between 2 lines in normal speeds: Aganita mahima (Gowla), Vanchasi yadi kushalam (Kalyani). Here the first lines are in normal speed, there will be a line in MK and then the music moves back to normal speed.

7. Pieces where MK fits into pre-composed jati patterns: Marakata manimaya (Arabhi), Nalladalla enru sholladi (Shankarabharanam), Bhuvanamoha sundara (Dhanyashi) etc...

8. Pieces where MK is used with the same melody but lyrical variations - sahitya sangatis: Mahashaya hrdaya (Abhogi)

9. Pieces in MK in two gatis: Uma maheshwaratmajam (Umabharanam), Mummada vezha mukhattu vinayakan (Nattai).

10. Pieces which use MK in 2 degrees of speeds (double and quadriple): Oyyaramahave (Saranga), Vitasamavara (Vasanta).

As one can see, just this one aspect - madhyamakala - would alone by sufficient to give one an idea of OVK's stature as a master of melody, rhythm and lyrics. But it is still only a small part of him...

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Rk's interpretation is also very apt. But it does not account for the apologetic precaution that ovk takes in the first 2 lines of the charanam. The transition is cautiously introduced here before what he is going to divulge in the next two lines. then the final PinnAlE theriyum andha shedi.Murugan's preeminence over Shiva is a poetic statement acceptable at any point of time and it has nothing that only future can prove. R K may also pl consider whether OVK has composed any song specifically on the Lord of Seven hills. Pl do not mistake. I have no personal prejudice.It may be quite possible that the controversy was prevalent more strongly in those days than it is now.The appreciation of ambalam ambalame is also exactly applicable in the interpretation proposed by me
Last edited by Ponbhairavi on 21 May 2011, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Ravikiran - thank you for helping all of us appreciate the genius of this amazing individual. Is it right that he composed in a trance as he visualized the gods dancing, and that is why his compositions literally dance out off the page?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ponbhairavi
That 'ambala rahasiyam' is a time bomb which still evokes a lot of emotional responses!
If OVK is alluding to that then he must have referred to it elsewhere...
What historical evidence you have to claim that the controversy was raging hot at the putative time when OVK lived?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Dear CML,
You are perfectly correct when you say that the charanam should be taken as a whole when we do an interpretation. I would add: not only charanam but the whole song .It is something like a Sudoku puzzle which has to satisfy the horizontal, vertical and each of the 9 boxes (sangirnam !) exigencies .Here is my way of looking at it.
Adi mudi kAnAda deivam= sivan.
mElEri=overriding him(It was HE who gave the boon of successive resurrection to surapadman)
Anju mugam kanda= five faces of surapadman as per the kanda puranam.
Aru mugam kanda = Aru padai veetil ezhundarulum
Aru mugam konda= six faced lord
Anupallavi : hill =Palani.alliteration on the sound pa (5times)
Charanam: innAr innapadi yenre therindapin. I find it difficult to accept it as referring to the mango episode, because judgement should not depend upon who he is and what (innapadi) he is. nIdhi stands for niyadhi practice of the world .innAr and innapadi are colloquial words which do no fit Ganesha and Muruga though I am well aware that OVK has used lot of colloquial words in other contexts.
My view is that OVK says that only after knowing whom we are addressing and what he is, shedI ,particularly controversial shEdi should be told.( Pl think of the danger of talking politics in bus stands and public places )
By these words he is laying the foundation and takes preliminary precaution before he is going to hint (not openly saying) something which is only a shedi that also not my own creation but “ already told by so many people”
thUya niraivAna sudha nirguna jyothi= murugan
ref Arunagirinathar’s deepa mangala jyothi namo namah
sonnalum theriyAdu=even if I say that (this is the idol of muruga) you cannot see- not visible.
ambalam ambalame= It is sivAmsam sivAmsam only – for the interpretation of ambalam as sivAmsam pl see few lines below for the reference to “kanakasabai” in shashti kavacham.
“pinnAl theriyum anda shedi”= This fact will come to be known in future centuries
Even to-day there are people who believe that the idol at Tirupati is that of muruga.Whether this belief is right or wrong is not the question. Such a belief or rumour was not born suddenly today. It should have been in existence quite for some centuries in a society in which saivam and vaishnavam have been at loggerheads since centuries. Historical evidences are aplenty for this controversy.
On a different plane,attention is invited to the fourth line FROM THE END of kanda sashti kavacham reproduced below,
Uyar giri kanaga sabhaikOr arasE
Pl relate this kanaga sabhai with the ambalam of OVK.The author Devaraja swamigal lived a few decades after OVK.
I am fully aware that music today should stand away from religious controversies. We need not elaborate on these but we may not bend ourselves for the sake of universal approbation in these days when music world superstitions cling on to the idea that non- telegu genius is NOT possible before the era of the Trinity.
Rajagopalan.

chitravina ravikiran

Mr PB,

Thanks for sharing a detailed perspective on this. I agree with you that the jyOti line is Muruga (tallies with AN's dIpa mangala jyOti). Nice observation on the alliteration of 'pa' in AP. It continues in the 2nd line too.

I also agree with you that that OVK was not a 'defensive' composer and I have seen him speaking out about issues or human behaviour in compositions like uruhAda manam enna manamO (Todi), though such instances are rare. Most of his compositions reveal his mental state of bliss with divine associations.

However, in this composition, he is addressing Muruga directly. (It is not about him - in indirect speech.) Why would OVK tell Muruga himself about a temple controversey?

The flow of the song suggests that it is still being addressed to Muruga in the charanam. It looks like he is building Pazhani above Chidambaram or there is either some satire (ninda stuti) involved here.

On another note, I have never seen an OVK piece on Tirupati. But NKB has composed a piece on Lord Srinivasa and he has mentioned it clearly as his own attempt.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Dear R.K.Thanks . I agree with you that OVK addresses Muruga directly
.P and AP end with deivame, vela ,. but the charanam is not addressed to muruga.
Here is how I view the flow and continuity of the thought process of the composer
P; he calls upon muruga and evokes his greatness (parentage ,his own prowess, his statureArupadai ezhundarulal six faces)
Ap-He lauds his palani abode and his 12 hands prowess.
C—As soon as he utters Palani his thought goes to another hill abode where he is enshrined.. then he pauses for a moment and ponders as to how what he is going to say would be received as he knows that others are not as convinced as he is.: sonnAlum theriyadU it cannot be proved.—Upto this it is the loud-thinking of OVK. Sort of soli loqui revealing his mental state at the time of composition..
After this pause ,he declares his view somewhat concealed : it is thUya…jyothi what if it is covered by gold it is ambalam ambalamE. pinnaltheriyum inda shEdi. This part expresses his conviction and conclusion and is meant to the audience or readers.
Golden ambalam?- murugan’s shrine ?? atop a hill??
Pl correlate this with Devaraja Swamigal’s kanda sashti kavacham
uyar giri kanaga (golden) sabai(ambalam) ku Or arasE
I agree the charanam is not addressed to Muruga. The first 2 lines are a sort of introspection and the last 2 lines seem to be meant for the audience. Such pause and introspective remarks in the middle are quite common in poetry.
I think that OVK may resort to such soliloquy in some other composition also about which you know much better than me.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Cml, post at 70 above:
What historical evidence you have to claim that the controversy was raging hot at the putative time when OVK lived?
Deekshithar's time was closer to OVK than Devaraja Swamigal's. In his krithi Subrahmanyena rakshithoham
in suddha dhanyasi we find this line:
" venkateswara nama rupena". For this expression Rangaramanuja Iyengar's Sri krithi mani malai gives the following explanation: vEnkatanAtharAha urukondavar(Tirumalai rahasyam)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There is a controversy on this lyric
The lines venkaTEshvara nAmarUpENa are also sung as venkaTEshvara vibhAvitEna (worshipped by Venkateswara).
Of course Arunagirinathar clearly refers to muruga as
'vaDa vEnkaTa mAmalayil uRaivOnE' and
'vaDamalai ninRa permAlE' etc., clearly suggesting the controversy in his times...
We need more evidence to show that OVK subscribed to those views!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

CML, for Ponbhairavi's hypothesis, we needed some data points if that view was around during that time. Your quote of Arunagirinathar provides that data. So in a way, this OVK composition is the "indication" ( "evidence" may be too strong ) that OVK may have subscribed to that view. You are right, if there are other compositions that provide similar "indication", then the quote-unquote around "indication" can be taken out ; ) Just so we do not go too far in the temple controversy itself, this is not about if that view is true or not, it is only about if that view was prevalent during that time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Exactly VK! So these are only seeking the coordinates and the substance is immaterial and not a debating issue here..

chitravina ravikiran

Excellent points raised by PB, VK, CML etc. A couple of doubts:

1. Wasn't Tirupati temple's gold-plating very recent?
2. Isn't Ambalam (as a town/city/temple) in Tamil literature more specific to Chidambaram?

The two taken together may help us grasp this further...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The word 'ambalam' is used very commonly in Malayalam to denote any temple. As a common noun and as a word affix it is still used in TN to denote a Siva temple and as a proper noun it indicates Chidambaram.

What was the original name for Tiruppati?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

In Tamil 'ambalam' refers to a temple or a public meeting place.

In Peria Puranam (12th Century) Sekkizhar repeatedly refers to Mount Kailash as Tirumalai.

chitravina ravikiran

What was the original name for Tiruppati?
Some of the names we normally see are: seshadri, seshachala, seshagiri, saptagiri, venkatadri, tirivenkatam etc. Interesting to see Kailasa being described as Tirupati too. I just read that Chidambaram is said to have been made using 21600 golden tiles and 72,000 golden nails. Tirupati has been gold-plated.

But nevertheless, interesting to see such teasers from OVK. I recall the debate the opening words of his 2nd Avarana krti - bhajasva shrI tripura sundarI (mAmapi) sparked off - until the rare context in which OVK had used a common word 'bhaja' was discovered.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Apparently we have no definite information as to when Tirupathi 's main shrine was gold plated.probably we may have to refer to Sthala puranam. But irrespective of that issue, let us reconsider.
ThUya niraivAna sudhA nirgunA jyothi ponnalE Anal ennA then comes the pause or hyphen mark
Golden can be,( without the slightest infringement to the text), taken to refer to the jyothi : idol covered with golden kavacham.
ambalam general meaning is temple or mandapam. By force of usage it has acquired the specific meaning of Chidambaram.(similarly tamil kOyil besides the general meaning has the specific meaning of Srirangam temple.In everyday's usage we would resort to the special meaning only if the common meaning does not fit. In this case if we make a start holding firmly on the specific meaning of Chidambaram, apparently we are not able to get a coherent whole so far. But if we take the general meaning it appears to provide some light and lead us somewhere.

Moreover, the fact that he has not composed any krithi on Tirupathi is a collateral support. because if there is one or if it is subsequently found that he has composed praising Srinivasa of Tirumalai kshethram my whole hypothesis would stand blown off.
rajagopalan
Last edited by Ponbhairavi on 25 May 2011, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

cmlover wrote:What was the original name for Tiruppati?
The old name of Vengadam was pullikunDRam, land of Pulli, the Chieftain of kaLvars of toNDaimaNDalam. (aganAnURu)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There may be a whole host of sanskritized names for Tiruppathi subsequently. It was an age-old tamilian site and hence we need to look for a tamil name. I think the aganAnURu reference may be pulikunRam (where tigers roam). Another term for tiger is 'vEngai' and it was also called 'vEngai iDam' (place of tigers) = vEngiDam whence vEngiDa malayAn = venkiTeshvaran when sanskritized after Ramanuja reclaimed it for Vishnu. OVK may be familiar with these historical facts. But then he does not appear to be strongly committed to support them. If he was not afraid of expressing his views openly he would have said it explicitly. That is why he was perhaps posing the puzzle talking about the 'open secret'. The recent gold-plating of Tiruppati is not supportive of tracing his time line. We should also consider the alternate hypothesis as to whether this is a genuine OVK composition. Again let us keep in mind OVK is not a serious devotee of Muruga to elevate him above the Trinity!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlover wrote:Again let us keep in mind OVK is not a serious devotee of Muruga to elevate him above the Trinity!
Is the part I have bolded a fact-based statement?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

No! Inferential.
Most of his songs are on Krishna with a predilection for dance; though his compositions range on other deities including minor deities like Surya, hanuman etc., It is difficult to say whether he had special allegiance to any one other than Lord Krishna since he hails from Mannarkudi where Krisnna worship is very popular and he even considers Krishna as his Guuru...

RK can confirm...

chitravina ravikiran

Most of his songs are on Krishna
1. OVK definitely had a personal affinity for Lord Krishna but his family worshipped Devi. They have mentioned that they possess an idol of Devi which has been with them for a few generations even before the composer.
with a predilection for dance
2. I would not say most of his songs have a predilection for dance. Most are pure music pieces of the highest calibre.

3. However, many also happen to be suited for dance because of the rich tapestry of rasas he has woven, be it Vinayaka/Krishna/Shiva/Rama/Muruga. I cannot forget Dr Vyjayantimala Bali's soul-stirring portrayal of OVK's sankshepa Ramayana Ragamalika in Brahma Gana Sabha this year nor her powerful depiction of his Anjaneya Saptaratna krti - bhakta bhAgadhEyAnjanEya (Madhyamavati) which had the audience in tears.

4. There are a few score pieces where he has embedded specific jatis and he also composed tillanas. His unique masterpiece - the naTAngam in Gambheeranattai was probably never intended for a music recital (since it also has free-form verses/jatis).

5. OVK refers to or talks about music and dance in numerous pieces, mentions gamakas, sapta talas and other related aspects.
his compositions range on other deities including minor deities like Surya, hanuman etc.,
6. Apart from a few dozen operas like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavatam, Pranavopadesham and Daksha Yagam, I have so far seen around 10-12 songs each on Rama, Shiva, Muruga, Vinayaka and a smaller number of pieces each on Meenakshi, Saraswati, Lakshmi, Parthasarathy and various other kshetra krtis (Srirangam, Mylapore, Udupi, Pandarapur, Tiruvarur, Tirukkannapuram, Sikkil, Pazhani, Chidambaram and many more). There are songs on Surya, Aghora Veerabhadra and great personalities like Valmiki, Vyasa, Andal, Tirumangai Azhwar, Manickavachakar etc.

7. The largest number of even one-off songs are probably on Krishna.

8. There are several Sanskrit shlokas such as Madhava panchakam, Nrsimha panchakam, Ranganatha panchakam etc. There are also numerous free verses and poetry in Tamil - which are eminently suited for musical discourses.
he even considers Krishna as his Guru...
9. There are at least 15 sublime krtis on guru without ever mentioning a name (out of reverence and regard). Legend goes that he had a human spiritual guru but the Lord was his guru as far as music goes.

10. OVK's one-off songs on Radha are brilliant and significant - almost all other Carnatic composers have preferred to mention Rukmini more.

I have only given a bird's eye's view here but even here one can see that his colossal works naturally straddled music, dance, drama and spiritual discourses, leaving imprints of significant strength.

And this was no accident. Apart from his own genius, he lived during a period when the Tanjore area was a melting pot of various influences and when music of a very high quality was much closer to other art forms. Things gradually changed from late 1700s and things became more specialised (and definitely less demanding).

chitravina ravikiran

The last para above set off another train of thought which I have shared in a new post:

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16609

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thx for the details...
Did OVK ever mention about Arunachala Kavi who was coeval with him?
The Rama Natakams were however tuned into CM much later...

chitravina ravikiran

Did OVK ever mention about Arunachala Kavi who was coeval with him?

No! But he composed his own Ramayana songs and several other one off songs. I have given below a Sanskrit composition on Lord Santana Ramaswami in Needamangalam. The melodic treatment of the raga is evocative, yet bright.

Sahana - Adi

P: sharaṇam yāmi shree santāna rāmaswāmi tvāmaham

A: sarasija nayana kōdanḍa pāṇi

M K dhara vitaraṇa guṇa janakajā ramaṇa sowbhāgya varada nipuṇa

C bhajamāna satya madhura mrdu tara - vachana nata sujana
nijadāsa hrt kumuda nichaya hita - charaṇa shruti ramaṇa
aja vamsha tilaka sārva bhowma - ayodhyā nagara sadana

M K nija kara dhrta kalamba gambheera nidhijā kucha kunkuma sindoora
bhuja ankita chandana shrngāra sphuTa bandhana lambita tooṇeera

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Contrast with MD's version

P santAna rAmaswAminam saguNa
nirguNa swaroopam bhajarE ||
AP santatam yamunAmbApuri niva
santam nata santam hindOLa va
santamAdhavam jAnakee dhavam
sachchidAnanda vaibhavam Sivam

C santAna soubhAgya vitaraNam
sAdhujana hrudaya sarasija charaNam
chintAmaNyAlankruta gAtram
chinmAtram soorya chandra nEtram
antaranga guruguha samvEdyam
anruta jaDa dukkha rahitamanAdyam ||

Is YamunAmba puri same as Needamangalam?

I find OVK referring to Sita as 'nidhijA' whichis quite unique!
Has anybody used the same epithet subsequently?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Got my answer
Needamangalam Rama Temple (Santhanarama swamy temple)

Needamagalam santhana rama Temple is 30 km from Kumbakonam.
Moolava and Urchava deity rama sita lakshmana and hanuman.

Maharastra king pratab singh build the temple in 1761. queen name is yamunabal. so the place called as yamunambal in olden days now it is called as needamangalam.king prayed the lord rama and god the child. so it is famous for newley married person who look for the child.
take a dip in saketha tank in front of the temple and pray the rama to get the kids
source : http://www.netglimse.com/holidays/sri_r ... rama.shtml

The temple must have been built during OVK times and his composition may historically relate..

chitravina ravikiran

Here is a bright composition on Lord Anjaneya. OVK's Anjaneya Saptaratna krtis are in Sanskrit.

Kēdāragowḷa Adi

P: veekṣhitōham dhanyōham
M K: vēgavara tanaya kamala nayanēna vidhi nuta hari pada vimala hrdayēna - iha (veekṣhitōham)

A: sākṣhi bhoota tapana sanga varēṇa
sarvadā shree rāma nāma smaraṇēna
MK: janaka sutā shishira vachana pātra chalita gagana vara sādhu mitrēṇa - iha (veekṣhitōham)

C: ātanka mukha vāli tanayādi atirava veeragaṇa ānata padēna
sādhaka viha sama tāraka pāṭhanēna dānava kula bheekara mukha varēṇa
M K: samudita madhuvana sanga tungēna dasharatha dvitanaya sankaṭa harēṇa
sumukha bhakti virachita vachanēna sulabha manōhara sukrta tapasēna - iha (veekṣhitōham)

OVK's treatment of the subject matter - in this case, Hanuman - is fascinating. He did not restrict himself to portraying him as just a rama-bhakta or even rama-dhoota. He almost made it a point to acknowledge and glorify Anjaneya's role in offering solace and help to Rama, Seeta and Lakshmana. This song is no exception as the beautifully phrased part in the final MK shows:

dasharatha dvitanaya sankaṭa harēṇa

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Beautiful...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I think
refers to his bringing the sanjeevi parvatam and reviving them.
What does
janaka sutā shishira vachana pātra chalita gagana vara sādhu mitrēṇa referring to?

chitravina ravikiran

janaka sutā shishira vachana pātra
One deserving of cool words from Seeta (as in one who earned her benevolence).
calita gagana vara sādhu mitrēṇa
One who could use the akasha marga (fly) and was friend of devotees. (OR, one who travelled straight (sadhu) along with the sun (mitra), to learn from him.)

I wanted to check if it should be pātrēṇa?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlover wrote:I think
refers to his bringing the sanjeevi parvatam and reviving them.
hanumAn brought the sanjIvini parvatam to revive lakshmaN; rAma was not affected. After reviving lakshmaNa, suSEna used the herbs to revive the warrriors who were felled in that day's battle. The only time when both rAma and lakhsmaNa were affected on the battlefield was when rAvaNa used the nAgAstra and bound both of them. hanuman invoked garuDa, seeing whom the snakes released the brothers and slithered away. daSaratha dvitanaya could refer to the fact that he was responsible for reviving lakshmaNa on the battlefield (with herbs from the sanjIvini parvatam) and was also responsible in preventing bharata from entering the fire at the end of vanvAs (isn't that what Arunachala Kavi describes in the song, vandAn vandAn bharatA, raghurAman vandAn vandAn bharatA?).

chitravina ravikiran

Shankar,

According to Valmiki, the following happened in the sequence mentioned below.

1. Almost in the beginning of the battle, Indrajit used nagastra and felled Rama and Lakshman - Garuda came and the the snake-bonds were released.

2. Indrajit came again to the battlefield (after Kumbhakarna died) and felled Rama and Lakshmana (for the 2nd time). Almost everyone else was also unconscious. Jambavan was one of the survivors along with Anjaneya and he asked him to get Sanjeevini, which revived everyone.

3. Ravana felled Lakshmana in a one-to-one battle and Anjaneya again brought the mountain of herbs upon Sushena's request and saved him, as well as a crestfallen Rama, who went so far as to bemoan the pointlessness of life, were he to lose his brother.

Later writers of Ramayana may have altered/edited things out but I had been captivated by Valmiki's narrative since I first read it (when I was about 13). It is also interesting to note that in Valmiki's narration, there was no swayamvaram for Seeta nor did Ahalya ever turn into a stone.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, Sri Ravikiran. Is there an English translation of Valmiki's original?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here it is
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rama/index.htm
What is the take on
janaka sutā shishira vachana pātra chalita gagana vara sādhu mitrēṇa
OVK is deeply well-versed in the puranas and ithihasas whence there are lot of interesting puzzles in his compositions