M.L.Vasanthakumari

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

Coolji and kam

Thanks for the very nostalgic music"¦ remember this among her many many that I was lucky to attend"¦ It is like that quote by T.S. Eliot, about how the point of living is to come back to where you started and see it as if for the first time.

Special kind of music that demands me to grasp what I am hearing intellectually but I cannot help but be awestruck and lose myself amid the wondrous sounds that harmonize me. ..Trying hard to rationalize reasons for damp eyes"¦something intangible, but nevertheless real...She is just a romanticist taking her imaginative flight from a traditional foundation in her music making"¦Happy birthday wherever you are dwelling"¦

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

There is no other rendition of venkatachalanilayam like her. I think she was one of the first artists to popularize the Sindhubhairavi raga.
I Remember her on this day with reverence and respect.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

That Sarvantharyami was a great performance. Thanks Cool.

Just happened to run into these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGeWInhVmk&NR=1 - Dinamani Vamsa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POODk3FVHEE - vAthApi

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

Just managed to see this wonderful video, where Smt MLV sings Ninnu Vina, composed by her guru GNB. Interesting to see young Raja Rao and Harishankar accompanying her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJJVPCE ... re=related

Akshara

Post by Akshara »

Thanks mahesu and vasanthakokilam...the lady indeed is unbeatable...having just experienced a two day program by her rasikar manram, it was so very satisfying to know that she continues to pervade, large as life and her music indeed is immortal. Be it the traditional heavy weights or the movie numbers, she is a class of her own..

mohan

Post by mohan »

kam wrote:Hello all, let us celebrate this day by listening to the great music of MLV garu.A small gift to all her fans :
http://www.mediafire.com/?ty0n1iywjzu
Thanks for this concert Kam. It seems incomplete with only one alapana in Suddha Saveri. Do we know who the accompanists are - sounds like Sudha, Kanyakumari, Harishankar but not sure about the mrudangam - perhaps Bhaktavatsalam.

mohan

Post by mohan »

coolkarni wrote:Right now I am polishing of this memorable day with an RTP in Vachaspathi.
Would you be able to share this RTP with us K-ji?

kam

Post by kam »

Hello mohan,the details of the concert I uploaded is as follows:

Smt. M L Vasanthakumari at the Madras Music Festival, 1983.
Vocal support: Smt. Sudha Raghunathan
Violin: Smt. A Kanyakumari
Mridangam: Sri Srimushnam Rajarao
Kanjira: Sri G Harishankar

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To : Coolkarni

Many thanks for the MLV uploads which are truly great. I have a humble request. Is there a RTP by MLV in Shanmukapriya or an elaborate rendition in Shanmukapriya by MLV?. Please upload when you have time. God bless you/family.

Regards

Guru

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks K-ji, much appreciated

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool,
enta muddO enta sogasO! shukriyA!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

coolkarni wrote:I could not resist uploading Bhavapriya too.
What a Musician of pure class !!!
I have nothing else as a benchmark , save for a few stylised renderings of krithis in this raga and she is still effortless.And such beautiful swaras.
What -loftier-peaks would she have scaled, with top class accompanists ?
Inspite of the poor quality of recordings available today (of Her Music in her Prime) , generally speaking....

Arasi , Aiyar and Mohan...It was my pleasure.
how many times I have thought how great it would have been to listen to a MLV/lalgudi concert! I have heard that MSG accompanied MLV in his early days, are there any available recordings or can any one share any experience from memory, of MLV/MSG concerts?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

pgaiyar, here's an RTP in shaNmugapriya by MLV (MA 1989):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6mal1v

The volume is very low, so I suggest turning it up full-blast or preferably listening to it on an mp3 player.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Coolji, listening to the bhavapriya now. Wonderful imagination in the alapanai. I do agree with you wrt accompanists. One can only imagine the sort of response LGJ might've played to this bhavapriya.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Cool - Listened to Vachaspati. Thank you.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

Coolji, thanks a bunch for this mesmerizing music.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To:Bilahari

Thanks a lot. I came across a MLV upload of a RTP in Shanmukapriya (If I remember it is/was a live a IFAS circa 70 or 71) uploaded in Sangeethamshare site by one Shri. MP Mohan???. I am unable to download because of the Captcha challenge and all that. Can any good soul upload this RTP here, please?.

God bless you all.

Regards

Guru

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Rasikas,

We wanted to bring to your kind attention an audio posted of MLV eulogizing Chowdiah in Tamil at

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

This is from an archive of fifty years of live performances by Vidwans at a house called "Parvathi" in Mysore. We are currently facing a monumental task of sifting through reams of music.

If you enjoyed this piece, the few others currently posted, or the contents of the blog please send a feedback to the email provided in the blog.

sbala

Post by sbala »

sbala wrote:Cool - Listened to Vachaspati. Thank you.
Returned a few days back with a renewed interest in CM :-)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

coolkarni, thank you very much.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- I was looking for this song by any artiste. THANKS.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Posted two pieces of a 1970 MLV concert in "Parvathi" Mysore...RTP in Kambodi and Manasunilpa in Abhogi at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

cienu

Post by cienu »

A lovely tribute to MLV in the link below

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/music/art ... epage=true

mohan

Post by mohan »

ragam-talam wrote:Vintage footage of MLV's mother's (Madras Lalithangi) voice!
Its seems that the speed has been screwed up - too fast, which means that the pitch is increased

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

This morning heard MLVs keesu keesu endru.....this lady is indeed evergreen. It was so beautiful. I think I have heard Sudha Ragunathan also sing this in one of the jaya tv concerts.Truly miss cooljis contribution

drkrsna

Re: M.L.Vasanthakumari

Post by drkrsna »

hi guys, are there any die hard MLV fans n UK?

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Truly miss cooljis ...
heard it just now.have some interesting stuff

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

For all die hard fans of Dr. M.L. Vasanthakumari, we feature her in her 1964 Gowri-Ganesha festival performance at "Parvathi", Mysuru. With the impending week of 'Vidyarambham', Saraswati Puja and Vijaya Dashami we thought in a remembrance of her old songs and of the very great personality that she was.

Please enjoy our new posting at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.

arasi

Post by arasi »

cpblog,
Your Parvati concerts are a pleasure to listen to. This navarAtri is special in that you bring to us the culture of Parvati--horticulture too! The stories you tell are reflective of the true ambience of the place. However great the music, if the surroundings, the hospitality of the hosts and the listening fervor in the audience is not there, the magic of music is not realized fully.. Of course, the rasikA minds also need to have an ambience within to relish the music without a sense of the self--at least in those moments of bliss.
Once again, thanks. Now to the music of the great MLV!
---------
What a concert! A detailed AndOlika, and that kharaharapriya.
Thanks again for the nAvaratri special, though the concert was a gowri-ganEsa special. The pallavi line was chosen by her for the occasion!

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Arasi,

Your mind and words are as keen as an X-ray which zaps everything. We can only bow to you. Thanks!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks for your kind words, but bowing to me will perhaps be too much because my name (arasati?) belies my status in life--a commoner ;)

anandmurty

Post by anandmurty »

cpblog wrote:Please enjoy our new posting at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely incredible Kharaharapriya! Thought I caught a quick sruti-bheda beginning at ~ 32:51 as MLV gushes in and out, back to Kharaharapriya. Couldn't identify the raga though with my limited capabilities!

Awesome that I would bump into this post after reading about her guru GNB's penchant for envisioning gopucha yati kalpanaswaras. Because in a commercial release with the Revathi RTP, MLV sings a lovely Kharaharapriya follwed by P Sivan's "Srinivasa" and sings her own gopucha yati kalpanaswaram at breakneck speed!

She's started the Tanam as I type, so will go and listen in silence...

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Sri Anandmurty,

Thank you, sir. This concert is very special to the "Parvathi" family and also we got a great feedback after posting it.

You will appreciate that the ravages of time had rendered the recording from 1964 somewhat incomplete, but the music is so great that we just wanted to share it.

You're right that MLV thinks of doing grahabheda at that point. But being a very spontaneous artiste, she moves on with the main raga.

Kharaharapriya lends itself to grahabheda very well. Ri- Todi, Ga- Kalyani, Ma- Harikhambhoji, Pa- Natabhairavi and Ni-Shankarabharana. Where MLV pauses, she could have branched off into Kalyani.

On the net, among various articles about this great singer, we found this:

"She had the natural flair for rendering ragams. She would handle ragams like Kalyani, Todi, Bhairavi, Kharaharapriya, Latangi, Harikambodi, Kambodi, Keeravani, Purvikalyani, Shanmukhapriya, Shankarabharanam, Madhyamavati, Shuddasaveri effortlessly and render them with full of raga bhavam. She was adept in grahabhedam or modal shift. She used to glide through easily from the main ragam to the derived ragam. Unless, a musician had strong grasp of the basics and was quick thinker, it is difficult to do grahabhedam in a concert setting. In a lec-dem situation, grahabhedam can be handled at leisure."

Wishing you many more musical delights during this auspicious season.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

An article in The Hindu of Dec. 29, 2010.
Date:29/12/2010 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/2010/12/29/stor ... 290400.htm
Tamil Nadu
A voice that cast a magical spell on listeners
Partha

Excerpts from The Hindu Sport & Pastime, July 26, 1952.(I can not understand this line).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Punarvasu - thank you..what a wonderful trip down memory lane...

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

From your thrilling weekend with World Cricket, we wish to draw you unto the thrilling world of Dr. M.L. Vasanthakumari via this spectacular concert that she gave at "Parvathi", Mysore on April 8, 1971, coinciding with her felicitation for the Sangeetha Natak Academy Award. It was incidentally, the Navami celebrations of Lord Sri Rama, too.

Welcome to an event 40 years later! @ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

sarang

Post by sarang »

For those who want to listen to Jayanthi Mohan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUbGd6U ... re=related

There are more videos available

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Does anyone have the recording of the famous Shubapantuvarali RTP of Smt MLV at KGS.. This was supposedly her last appearance at KGS..

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

If you like, the subha pantuvarali can be listened at my blog 'e'-swara at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/
It is a 31 mts. concert-presumably , a 1977 concert.
This ia available under "ML Vasanthakumari/Sudharagunathan/Radha Jayalakshmi"

venkatakailasam

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

remembering the queen on her birth anniversary
http://youtu.be/DtM0Ad6EZcc

cienu

Post by cienu »

That was indeed wonderful :)
Thank you Kedharm for the timely reminder on the 83rd birth anniversary of the legend.
I thought it appropriate to post this picture of Sri Sadasivam and Smt MS calling on Smt MLV on her 60th birthday to greet her and present her with a saree. :)

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Very nice photo !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

A beautiful picture, Cienu. Can you identify the men in the photo other than your grandfather?