Baby, Kumari, Smt. Kamala

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Baby, Kumari, Smt. Kamala

Post by rshankar »

I thought I would start this thread after seeing a number of clips of her dances from the movies posted on youtube. Just like Smt. Ambujam Krishna describes the stages in kshNa's life as guruvAyUrappan captivated us (in her rItigauLai kRti) as 'bAlanAi, yuvanAi, pAlikkum deivamAi', Kamala has captivated audiences as Baby Kamala, then as Kumari Kamala, and finally as Smt. Kamala Lakshminarayana.
The budding talent: This clip of Baby Kamala clearly indicates how clean her dancing was even at that age when most children can barely dance to tALam, let alone something this fast...and their hands are not so clean..
The talent slowly unfurling: An older version, staying with the snake theme, now showing off amazing flexibility, and nAthar muDi mElirukkum nAga pAmbE in an unusual presentation (musically) - who is the singer? I think there is a problem distinguishing the L and l sounds.
Various stages of the mature dancer:
In pAthiban kanavu, she had a cameo as SivakAmi, the unfulfilled love of the king mAmallan, and she charmed every one with 4 dances - IIRC, the irony was in the fact that Smt. Vyjayantimala who played the heroine, kundavai, did not have any dances....
Gorgeous abhinaya to Smt. MLV's 'munnam avanuDaya nAmam kETTAL' - Lji - I will request the full lyrics in the sAhitya thread. I love the transition to sArangA and the final tragic kAnaDA.
I think this was in vAtApi.
And finally, this captures how Sri Kalki described the Ayana cirpi, SivakAmi's father, capturing her dance in stone.

Here's an almost prophetic 'ADarkalaikkazhagu tEDa pirandavaL'
The absolutely delightful 'tAyE yaSOdA'
The clips from konjum salangai have been all over youtube for a while now. In konjum salangai and Sivagangai SImai, she was the heroine, and not merely someone who danced to a few songs.
There are other classic clips from this dancer, like bhArati's tUNDir puzhuvinai pOl, and muttu tANDavar's Edukittanai mODi yendan mIdayyA that I have not found.

Smt. Jayakamala, if you see this thread, can you please tell us which of these were choreographed by your grandfather, her guru, Vazhuvur Sri Ramiah Pillai (VazhuvoorAr)? I think they were all his choreographies.

rshankar

Re: Baby, Kumari, Smt. Kamala

Post by rshankar »

I left out the perfectly delightful ones from nAm iruvar, with Smt. DKP doing the honors for the playback singing.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

THANKS Ravi for the nice topic, I thoroughly enjoyed watching these and reading your observations.

ardhanariswar

Post by ardhanariswar »

I noticed in the first two videos that you posted that Kamala made some change to an adavu. Its one of the variations to the theermanam adavu, and she does it with the left leg twice, instead of alternating with the hands. Is it a stylistic thing or is it actually a mistake?

You can see it in the first few seconds of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hU1-6zr9wo

madhan

Post by madhan »

Wonderful links shankar sir..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHsPYd6TKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pk26FgdvZ0

Adding one each to the baby and kumari collection! :)

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

The dances of Konjum Salangai were choreographed by Kamala herself. In all the other previous films the dances were choreographed by VAzhuvur Ramiah Pillai.

jayakamala

Post by jayakamala »

I am very happy to see the videos. My father S K Rajarathnam's participation must have been there in the choreos, as he was working under Vazhuvurar during that period.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

jayakamala wrote:I am very happy to see the videos. My father S K Rajarathnam's participation must have been there in the choreos, as he was working under Vazhuvurar during that period.
Smt. Jayakamala, have you talked to your father about those experiences?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

From ~5:36-10 min in this clip, Kumari Kamala in a double role, dances to 'ADuvOmE paLLu pADuvOmE'...vazhuvUrAr's choreography and her dancing are absolutely fabulous, and bring the divine melody of Smt. DKP alive - Smt. DKP sings this song with such calm dignity, yet manages to convey the seething issues that existed prior to and the exultation that would follow independence - and the dance brings it out so well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
You made my day on this Independence Day! Thank you! I had not seen this thread until today. As is typical of you, and as Rajani says, you have brought the beauty of Kamala's dance, and now, Bharathi's poetry and DKP's singing for us all to enjoy, adding your observations.
I vividly remember a few scenes including this one from the film the week it was released.Kamala remained a favorite all through her career.
Synthetic material was the in thing in cinemas from the late forties--even with dance costumes! And what changes costumes have gone through! VisiRis were mini length to start with and the costumes were styled a bit rigidly (in films).
Kamala was Kamala. Age takes its toll, but the art never dies. Recently we saw her in the Cleveland Festival.
As for Rhadha, with all the fame and mastery of her sister's art engulfing her, she evolved into what she is as a dancer and guru on her own merit and hard work...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - thank you for your observations...sometimes I wonder if coming generations will remember the accomplishments and contributions of those whose shoulders they stand on.
I remember meeting one of Smt. Kamala's students whose eyes lit up when she talked about her experience learning the tillAnA from 'cOri cOri'!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:RK taught vocal music to Smt Kamala Naraya(nee Kumari Kamala) in the early fifties--our family was/is still in touch with her and her family- Kamala was living with her mother and sisters in a nice modern bungalow in a lane called De Monte lane connecting San Thome High Road to the Beach. During the summer months when myself and my sister came to Madras, along with our cousins used to visit them and play cardscarrom etc. Generally when she did not have dance rehearsal with Vazhuvoor Ramiah Pillai (the dance ehearsals were rigorous and frequent and the practice schedules were tight because of Kamala's Dance commitments), RK would come for tuition. (he used to live in Nadu Street in Mylapore (as I recall)--not far from San Thome)

One day in late April, he came as per the schedule in one of those hand-drawn rickshaws to teach- in 102 degree heat-that was the day we had all planned to have fun, visit the Marina Canteen, movies etc--big deal in those days for us kids!!!. We had gathered in Kamala's house and were playing-when RK arrived Kamala was in no mood for tuition and literally pleaded with RK to reschedule much against her Mom's will. Somehow she "sweet-talked" RK saying we have come from Bombay etc etc. RK was very understanding-Kamala was sweet enough to send him back in her car--he was a good teacher--very patient (of course Kamala's celebrity status may also have been a factor!!) I think Kamala has given a record Kaddana Variki in Thodi (I think this was taught by RK!!)
Ramesh mama these links are for you and RaviSri...

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... ye-yashoda

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... -laksmanan