Vid Neela Ramgopal – September 2nd – Sevasadan, Malleshwaram

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
anand_900315

Vid Neela Ramgopal – September 2nd – Sevasadan, Malleshwaram

Post by anand_900315 »

Vid Neela Ramgopal, accompanied by BK Raghu on the violin, Master Akshay Anand on the mrudangam would be presenting a concert at:

Sevasadan, Opp. MLA College, 14th Cross, Malleshwaram, Banglore 560003
On the 2nd September (Friday) at 6.00 PM.

sappri

Re: Vid Neela Ramgopal – September 2nd – Sevasadan, Malleshw

Post by sappri »

Reminder of Sangita Kala Acharya Awardee Vid Neela Ramgopal's concert this evening at 6 PM....

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Attended this concert. :D The list:

sarasijanAbha - kAmbhOji - aTa (varNam)
kari kaLAbhamukham - sAvEri - rUpakacApu-2 - MD (sketch, S)
marakata lingam - vasantA - Adi - MD (S)
brOcEvArevare - shrI ranjani - Adi - T (RS)
OM namO nArAyaNa - karNaranjani - khaNDacApu - Ambujam Krishna (R)
gati nIvani - tODi - Adi-2 - T (RNST)
a kannaDa song in pIlu / kApi
ERu mayil ERi - haMsAnandi - Adi (khaNDagati) - (tiruppugazh)
pavamAna sutuDu - saurAShTra - Adi - T
madhyamAvati sketch
Last edited by srikant1987 on 03 Sep 2011, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

At many times I wished Neela mami had a disciple participate to the extent Sumithra V does in RV's. Nonetheless, the shrI ranjani AlApanai, and parts of the tODi AlApanai were steeped in classicism. Swarams were all top-class, and included much laya viShayam, but I missed the rAgapravAha swarams of the kind she sang for bEgaDa (nIvErA kuladhanamu) in the Rama Navami concert at Indian Heritage Academy Hall. Wish there had been one more neraval somewhere (maybe for the sAvEri).

There are also a lot many rAgams I'm fonder of than vasantA and karNaranjani :o .

Raghu played very well, with appropriate seriousness and restraint.

Akshay played very impressively and provided good support, though at times his energy seemed to be dipping, and Mami had to give a little prod. ;) The tani featured tishra and mishra (?) naDais, and was played with a very uniform kAlapramANa. The NST were done in the caraNam's beginning itself, and the continuation of the krti after tani created a very good effect, and sustained weighty music for a while after the tani too.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Interesting list. Can't say I'm a fan of vasanta and karNaranjani either, but there's sAvEri and srIranjani and one of my favourite varNams too! Who is BK Raghu's guru?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

An excellent concert from SKA Smt. Neela Ramgopal. the accompanists were good as well.

1. kambhOji varnam – NR sang this specialty of her teacher’s [T.K. Rangachari] very well. The sAhityAksara-s were sung so that one could make out the words in the lyric of the varnam. Not many artistes do that. The high notes as well the low notes were sung with perfect swara fidelity.

2. karikalabhamukhaM – The short but mature AlApana was memorable. Swarakalpana was creatively planned to segue into the swarAksara of kari in the pallavi. Only, during the swarakalpana, BKR played once a srm-rmp-mpd-pdS passage, and a Srs Rmr Mpm Pdp passage that in my mind, smack more of malahari than of sAvEri.

3. BrOcEvArevarE again showed NR’s rare artistry in that the sAhitya was handled well; by making sure that there was no padacchEda, and sAhitya-bhAva was highlighted by the alternate emphasis and understatement of appropriate syllables. [If you find that hard to comprehend, invite NR for a concert and you’ll understand!]

4. karNaranjani isn’t a very complex rAga. However there are two possibilities – one can sing it with an emphasis on the sAlagabhairavi chAya [the dIkSitar version] or with emphasis on the shivaranjani chAya.

The former makes it more interesting, while the latter is the more prevalent. Yesterday’s concert was the same, and had a dominance of the Sivaranjani ang. Neela mAmi sang an elaborate AlApana, and appreciated Raghu’s AlAp with nods and smiles.

5. An excellent tODI Alapana developed the atmosphere for the glorious lAlguDi pancaratna kRti. The kRti was presented neatly with neraval and kalpanaswaras at ‘rAkA-shashi-vadanE sarva-lOka-nAyaki mAyanE’.

6. The pada parAku mADadE in pilu was prefaced by the ugAbhOga 'ninnantha swAmi enaguNTu ninagilla'.

kssr

Post by kssr »

srikant1987 wrote:
.......... of than vasantA and karNaranjani :o .
Lalitha which is so very close to vasantha is my all time favourite. And what a difference in their moods!
Karnaranjani always brings back a bewitching "naamam annadu keL- namo narayana"- a Kambaramayanam piece by TNS.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

keerthi,
Thanks for highlighting the meaningful handling of sAhitya in all compositions! This is a thing I tend to recognise in its absence. :$
The pada parAku mADadE in pilu was prefaced by the ugAbhOga 'ninnantha swAmi enaguNTu ninagilla'.
Didn't know this "parAku" is present in kannaDa too. ;) Does mADadE mean "don't do"? These days usually "mADabEDA" is used, I think?
BKR played once a srm-rmp-mpd-pdS passage, and a Srs Rmr Mpm Pdp passage that in my mind, smack more of malahari than of sAvEri.
I feel a generous shake for the ma (like in npd srs - mpmdp ;) ) is very characteristic to sAvEri. Leaving it flat in some phrases can strike of asAvEri too.

kjrao

Post by kjrao »

mADadE = not doing/by not doing

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Thank you, kjrao.

keerthi,
I think you mean MD-style sAlagabhairavi? Since MD hasn't composed in karNaranjani. http://www.medieval.org/music/world/car ... hitar.html

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

mADade is 'paNNAmal'. mADabEDA is pannAde. The cross-resemblance is confusing I suppose.

dIkSitar's sAlagabhairavi is what I meant, karNaranjani was introduced by Muttayya bhAgavatar.

anand_900315

Post by anand_900315 »

For the benefit of those who could not attend the concert, I have uploaded selected krities from this concert. Here are the URL's.

1) Saraseejanabha, Kamboji, Ata Thala Varnam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_06J2-rlCc

2) Marakatalingam, Vasantha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiwmo15sFns

3) Brochevarevare, Sri Ranjini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCT2uuzvc64

Anand

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Anand.
Just heard the vasantha kruti (Neela's distinct stamp in the svarams) and the Sriranjani. The rAgam was expertly handled, which is no surprise at all! She's a pro ;)