Bharatiyar Discussions

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
veeyens3

Re: Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Post by veeyens3 »

My prayers to Sri Rama to bless smala with a happy quick return to normalcy from the after effects of the fender bender

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Get well soon. Best wishes.

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks all for the wishes, I'm fine - just taking a ten-day break, things have been too hectic, routine and tiring that's all.

arasi

Re: BhAratiyAr

Post by arasi »

In our collection (dispersion?) of books, I stumbled on this tamizh book: Subramania Bharathi by Prema Nandakumar--written originally in English (translated into by V.M. Sambasivan). I then remembered that Prema Nandakumar (scholar and eminent writer) had also translated some of the poems of Bharathi into English--published by The National Book Trust of India. It's worth finding out if this book is available in the original and in translation.

PBala,
This information is specially for you!

This book also lists some works on Bharathi. Other than the ones you listed in your select list, there are some by the following authors:

AkkUr Ananthachari: kavich chakavarti SubrmaNia BhArati Charitram. Interestingly, it was published in the Kittappa (S.G. is my guess) Malar PrasurAlayam.1936.

K.R.Srinivasa Iyengar: Indian Writing in English; Asia Publishing House, Bombay. 1962

P. Mahadevan: Subbiramania Bharati--ninaivugaL Atri Publishers, Chennai. 1957

Prema Nandakumar: Bharati in English Verse; Higginbothams, Madras. 1958
R.K. Prabhu (compiled by): An Anthology of Modern Indian Eloquence

Rajagopalan, Sundararajan: kaNNan en kavi; Sakti Kariyalayam, Chennai. 1937

K.S. Ramaswamy Shastri: Subramanya Bharati--His Mind and Art; Wealth and Welfare Office, Madras.1951

A. Srinivasaraghavan: The Voice of the Poet: English Renderings of Bharathi's Verses; Bharati Tamizh Sangam, Calcutta. 1951

K. N. Subramaniam (kA.nA. Su): Bharati; Tamizh EzhuttALar Sangam. 1959

P(B?) M. Sundaram: Bharatiyar: varalARum kavidaiyum; Orient Longmans. 1954

Periasami Thooran: Bharati Tamizh; Amuda Nilayam. 1954

The book also mentions two publications of Bharati's own works in English.They are: 1: Agni and Other Poems; 2: Essays and Other Prose Fragments. Both were compiled by C.R. Reddy and K.S. Venkataramani; Bharati Prasuralayam, Chennai. 1937

So, we have two translations of his poems into English in this list, one by Prema Nandakumar and the othe by Professor A. Srinivasaraghavan who spoke and wrote like a charm.
I have with me a sanskrit translation of the KaNNamma pADalgaL by eminent scholar Srirama desikan.

Pratyaksham Bala

arasi wrote:PBala, This information is specially for you!
This book also lists some works on Bharathi. Other than the ones you listed in your select list, there are some by the following authors ... ... ...
There are hundreds and hundreds of books on Bharati! I have spent enough time and money on them.

Most of them are written from varied points of view mostly by people who had no direct contact with Bharati. Many of the books try to make use of Bharati to promote their pet ideas, beliefs or institutions. Tilt and distortions depend on the intensity of attachment! If we understand the background of the writer, then it becomes easier to filter the contents!

I had given in Post #35 a list of 'the best books' written by people who had moved with Bharati. IMHO, even here one has to appreciate the omissions and deviations.

arasi

Post by arasi »

True. But I wouldn't club A. Srinivasa Raghavan, Ka na su and Prema Nandakumar with those who 'used' Bharati's name to promote themselves
The reason I mentioned you was because you are capable of garnering information in a jiffy!

Pratyaksham Bala

arasi wrote:True. But I wouldn't club A. Srinivasa Raghavan, Ka na su and Prema Nandakumar with those who 'used' Bharati's name to promote themselves ...
I had talked of people trying 'to promote their pet ideas, beliefs or institutions', not 'promoting themselves'.

Let us not discuss individuals! All are great!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Understood. However, they are not guilty of that either!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

smala

Post by smala »

Can someone offer a translation?

என் கணவர்

1951ஆம் ஆண்டு திருச்சி வானொலியில் ""என் கணவர்"" என்ற தலைப்பில் திருமதி செல்லம்மாள் பாரதி ஆற்றிய உரை.)

ஊருக்குப் பெருமை என் வாழ்வு. வையகத்தார் கொண்டாட வாழவேண்டும் என்ற என் கனவு ஓரளவு பலித்ததென்னவோ உண்மைதான். இன்று என் கணவரின் புகழ் விண்முட்டிச் செல்கிறது. இன்று மகாகவியின் மனைவியாகப் போற்றப்படும் நான் அன்று பைத்தியக்காரன் மனைவியென்று பலராலும் ஏசப்பட்டேன்... விநோதங்கள் என் வாழ்க்கையில் அதிகம். உலகத்தோடொட்டி வாழ வகை அறியாத கணவருடன் அமர வாழ்வு வாழ்ந்தேன் என்றால் உங்களுக்குச் சிரிப்பாகத்தான் இருக்கும். யாருக்கு மனைவியாக வாழ்ந்தாலும் வாய்க்கலாம். ஆனால் கவிஞன் மனைவியாயிருப்பது கஷ்டம்.

கவிஞர்கள் போக்கே ஒரு தனி. உண்பதிலும் உறங்குவதிலும் வட சாதாரண மனிதரைப்போல் அவர்கள் இருப்பதில்லை. கற்பனைச் சிறகு விரித்துக் கவதை வானில் வட்டமிடும் பறவை, பூலோகத்திலே இருண்ட வீட்டிலே மனைவிக்கும் மற்றவருக்கம் சம்பாத்தியம் செய்துபோட்டு, சாதாரண வாழ்க்கை வாழ முடியுமா?

வறுமை, கவிஞனின் தனி உடைமை. கவிஞனுக்கு இந்த மண்ணுலகில் இன்பம் அளிப்பது கவிதை; ஆனால் வயிற்றுக்குணவு தேடி வாழும் வகையை அவன் மனைவிதான் கண்டுபிடிக்க வேண்டி வருகிறது. காதல் ராணியாக மனைவியைப் போற்றும் கவிஞன் அவளுக்குச் சாதமும் போடவேண்டும் என்ற நினைவேயின்றிக் காலம் கழித்தானேயானால், என்ன செய்ய முடியும்?

கவிஞன் விசித்திரமான தன்மை நிறைந்தவன்; அவனுக்கு எதுவும் பெரிதில்லை. ஆனால் கவலை நிறைந்த வாழ்நாளைக் கழிக்க வேண்டும் என்று எந்தப் பெண்தான் நினைக்க முடியும்? சிறு வயதில் ஆசாபாசங்களும் அபிலாஷைகளும் ஒவ்வொரு பெண்ணின் மனத்திலும் நிறைந்திருப்பது இயற்கைதானே? சுகமாக வாழுவதற்கு சொர்க்கலோகம் சென்றால்தான் முடியும் என்ற நிலை கவிஞன் மனைவிக்கு ஏற்பட்டு விடுகிறது. அந்த நாளிலிருந்த சத்திமுத்தப் புலவரின் மனைவியிலிருந்து இன்று என்வரை சுகவாழ்வு ஒரே விதமாகத்தான் அமைந்திருக்கிறது. ஏகாந்தத்தில் அமர்ந்துவிட்டால் முனிவரும்கூட அவரிடம் பிச்சைதான் வாங்கவேண்டும். ஆனால் மனைத் தலைவியாகிய நான் அவ்வாறு நிஷ்டையிலிருக்க முடியுமா?

கவிஞர்களில் பலதரப்பட்டவர்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள். கடவுளைப் பக்தி செய்யும் கவிஞன், காவியம் எழுதும் கவிஞன், இவர்களைப் புற உலகத் தொல்லைகளை சூழ இடமில்லை. எனது கணவரோ கற்பனைக் கவியாக மட்டுமல்லாமல் தேசியக் கவியாகவும் விளங்கியவர். அதனால் நான் மிகவும் கஷ்டப்பட்டேன். கவிதை வெள்ளைத்தை அணை போட்டுத் தடுத்தது அடக்கு முறை. குடும்பமே தொல்லைக்குள்ளாகியது. ஆனால் நுங்கும் நுரையுமாகப் பொங்கிவரும் புது வெள்ளம் போல அடக்குமுறையை உடைத்துக்கொணடு பாய்ந்து செல்லும் அவர் கவிதை.

காலையில் எழுந்ததும் கண்விழித்து, மேநிலை மேல், மேலைச்சுடர் வானை நோக்கி வீற்றிருப்பார். ஸ்நானம் ஒவ்வொரு நாள் ஒவ்வொரு விதத்தில் அமையும். ஸøரிய ஸ்நானம்தான் அவருக்குப் பிடித்தமானது. வெளியிலே நின்று நிமிர்ந்து ஸøரியனைப் பார்ப்பதுதான் வெய்யற் குளியல். ஸøரியகிரணம் கண்களிலேயுள்ள மாசுகளை நீக்கும் என்பது அவர் அபிப்பிராயம். காலைக் காப்பி, தோசை பிரதானமாயிருக்க வேண்டும் அவருக்கு. தயிர், நெய், புது ஊறுகாய் இவைகளைத் தோசையின் மேல் பெய்து தின்பார். அவருக்குப் பிரியமான பொருளைச் சேகரித்துக் கொடுத்தால், அரவது நண்பர்களான காக்கையும் குருவியும் அதில் முக்கால் பாகத்தைப் புசித்து விடுவார்கள். எதை வேண்டுமானாலும் பொறுக்க முடியும்; ஆனால் கொடுத்த உணவைத் தாம் உண்ணாமல் பறவைகளுக்குப் போட்டுவிட்டு நிற்கும் அவருடைய தார்மிக உணர்ச்சியை மட்டும் என்னால் சகிக்கவே முடிந்ததில்லை. சிஷ்யருக்குக் குறைவு இராது. செய்திகளுக்கும் குறைச்சல் இல்லை. கானாமுதமோ காதின் வழியே புகுந்து உடல் எங்கும் நிறைந்துவிடும். களிப்பை மட்டும் பூரணமாக அனுபவிக்க முடியாமல் உள்ளிருந்து ஒன்று வாட்டும். அதுதான் கவலை!

இச்சகம் பேசி வாழும் உலகத்தில் எப்பொழுதும் மெய்யே பேச வேண்டும் என்பது அவரது கட்டளை. எக்காரணத்தைக் கொண்டும் பொய் பேசக் கூடாது. இது எத்தனை சிரமமான காரியம் என்பது எல்லாருக்கும் தெரிந்த விஷயம்தான்.

புதுவை þþ எனக்குச் சிறைச்சாலை ஆகியது. சிறைச்சாலை என்ன செய்யும்? ஞானிகளை அது ஒன்றும் செய்ய முடியாதுதான். எதையும் ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளும் மனத்திண்மை அவர்களுக்கு உண்டு. ஆனால் என்னைப்போன்ற சாதாரணப் பெண்ணுக்கு, இல்லறத்தை நல்லறமாக்க வேண்டும் என்ற ஒரே விஷயத்தை லட்சியமாகக் கொண்ட ஒருத்திக்குச் சிறைச்சாலை நவநவமான துன்பங்களை அள்ளித்தான் கொடுத்தது.

புதுவையில்தான் புதுமைகள் அதிகம் தோன்றின. புது முயற்சிகள், புதிய நாகரிகம், புதுமைப் பெண் எழுச்சி, புதுக் கவிதை þþ இவை தோன்றின. இத்தனை புதுமைகளும் எழுவதற்கு நான்தான் ஆராய்ச்சிப் பொருளாக அமைந்தேன். பெண்களுக்குச் சம அந்தஸ்து வழங்க வேண்டுமா வேண்டாமா என்று வெகுகாலம் ஆராய்ந்த பின்னரே, பெண் விடுதலை அவசியம் என்ற முடிவு கண்டு, நடைமுறையில் நடத்துவதற்குத் துடிதுடித்தார் என் கணவர். இந்த முடிவை அவர் காண்பதற்குள் நான் பட்ட பாடு சொல்லுந்தரமன்று.

புதுவையில் அரசியலில் கலந்துகொள்ள ஒரு வசதியும் இல்லாதிருந்த போதிலும், தமிழ் இலக்கியத் தொண்டு செய்ததனால் ஒருவாறு மன அமைதி பெற்றிருந்தார். நமது பொக்கிஷங்கள் என்று கருதத் தகும்படியான அவரது கவிதைகள் எல்லாம் அங்குதான் தோன்றின. மனிதரை அமரராக்க வேண்டும் என்று தவித்த என் கணவர், எத்தனை இடையூறுகளுக்கும் எதிர்ப்புகளும் ஏற்பட்ட போதிலும், அவற்றையெல்லாம் மோதிமிதித்துவிட்டுத் தம் லட்சியத்தில் முன்னேறும் துணிவு கொண்டு செயலாற்றினார்.

மகாகவி நாட்டிற்காக, அதன் சுதந்திரத்திற்காக வாழ்ந்தார். தமிழ் பண்பாட்டில் சிறந்த அவர் ஈகை, அன்பு, சகிப்புத்தன்மை முதலான பண்புகளைக் கடைப்பிடித்து வாழ்ந்தது ஓர் அதிசயமன்று. தூங்கிக் கிடந்த தமிழரை விழிப்புறுத்தியதும் அதிசயமன்று; ஆனால் இன்று அவரது பூத உடல் மறைந்த பின்பும் தமிழ் பேசும் ஒவ்வோர் உயிரினிடத்தும் அவர் கலந்து நிற்பதுதான் அதிசயம் என்று எனக்குத் தோன்றுகிறது. ""விண்டுரைக்க மாட்டாத விந்தையடா!"" என்று அவரது கவிதை மொழியில்தான் இந்த மகிழ்ச்சியைத் தெரிவிக்க வேண்டியிருக்கிறது.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks.
This must be translated ideally by Arasi or Shankar to fully capture the spirit.
Can we postpone the discussions on this after Arasi completes her story?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML, if I have to do it, Arun's trasliterator has to work overtime!

arasi

Post by arasi »

I will be a burn-out case by the the time I finish doing the translation of this book, mon ami!

On other matters: Finding as many translations of Bharathi's works as possible. Poerty, prose, essays--those he wrote in English as well.
During my untrained search, I came across this: The Sahitya Academy has a mega project by which works of Bharathi are being translated by a group of translators. The work is almost completed. This I remember to be a news item published in 2011.

Find Prema Nandakumar's translations. There have been a few by others--which I have seen/heard of over the years.
The unpublished poem in chapter 22, is it in print in any of the new anthologies now? It has some beautiful verses!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I will give it the 'old school try'! I have run it through the transliterator, and I can certainly make the attempt.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PBala,
Why don't you do it?
There are several others. Rajani, sridharang, Bilahari, to start with. Wonder if they have looked at the Bharathi threads...

smala

Post by smala »

"...The unpublished poem in chapter 22, is it in print in any of the new anthologies now? It has some beautiful verses!"

Could rshankar perform the honors of translating that memorable poem for Thangamma coming of age? The poem is in the other thread. Arasi is working on the chapters.

Also looking forward to the en kaNavar translation.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Can we take a rain-check on En Kanavar discussions?
I will now be out of commission till the labour day week end as I will be travelling.
I would very much like to actively participate in the discussions.
Let us give time to Arasi to complete the book and we can start the discussions on the whole book later.
Some computer-versatile one can collect all the chapters and make them into a PDF file for ease of reading.
Then we can refer to portions by page and line numbers rather than quoting in full..
It will be nice if non-tamils also participate in the discussions. That will be the best tribute to Arasi's magnum labour of love!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

smala wrote:Could rshankar perform the honors of translating that memorable poem for Thangamma coming of age? The poem is in the other thread. Arasi is working on the chapters.
Will do once Arasi is done with the remaining three chapters. I will also be traveling over the next week.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Folks!
Signs of overload!
As you can see from Bala's post below, I posted Chapter 24 in this thread! :(
Last edited by arasi on 24 Aug 2011, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

arasi:
Please post this in the thread: 'Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet'.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks!

smala

Post by smala »

Arasi, were there any pictures in Yadugiri's book - that can be scanned? Would love to see her picture and any of Bharathi at the time.

Having severe withdrawal symptoms.

smala

Post by smala »

A dying Bharathi asking for Yadugiri - the last sad chapter 26 :

நான் சென்னையில் இருந்த சமயம் எப்போதாவது பேச்சுநடுவே, “இரண்டும் பெண் குழந்தைகள். கையில் வந்த பிள்ளைக் குழந்தையோ போய்விட்டது” என்று சலித்துக் கொள்வதைப் பாரதி கேட்டுவிட்டால் போதும்; “பெண் குழந்தைகளுக்குத்தான் வாத்ஸல்யம் அதிகம், யதுகிரி. புதுச்சேரியில் விளையாடின நீ என்னை இன்னும் அப்படியே காண்கிறாய். ஆனால் உன் அண்ணன் சாமிக்கு சம்சாரக் கவலை; உன்னைப்போல என்னிடம் பேச ஒழிவதில்லை” என்பார்.

நான் யுகாதிவரை சென்னைப் பட்டிணத்தில் இருந்தேன். பாரதியார் தினம் எங்கள் வீட்டுக்கு வருவார். செல்லம்மா, தங்கம்மா, சகுந்தலா அடிக்கடி வருவார்கள். நாங்களும் அடிக்கடி போவோம்.

சித்திரை மாதம் புறப்படுகிற தினம் காலையில் பாரதி வந்திருந்தார். க்ஷேமலாபங்கள் விசாரித்துவிட்டு, எங்கள் வீட்டு வாசலிலே க்ஷவரம் செய்துகொண்டார். “இன்று க்ஷவரத்துக்கு நாள் நன்றாயில்லை என்று செல்லம்மா தடுத்தாள். அதற்காக இங்கே செய்துகொண்டேன்” என்றார்.

அன்று சாயங்காலம் ஆறு மணிக்கு பாரதி மறுபடி வந்தார். நான் நமஸ்கரித்து, ” எங்கள் ஊர்பக்கம் (பங்களூருக்கு) நீங்கள் வருவதில்லையா?” என்று கேட்டேன். அவர், “எனக்கு பங்களூரில் என்ன அம்மா காரியம்? போய்வா அம்மா. நீ மறுபடி வரும்போது நான் எந்த ஊரில் இருப்பேனோ! உன்னை மறுபடி பார்த்துவிட்டு போகலாம் என்று வந்தேன்” என்றார். அதுவே அவரை நான் கண்ட கடைசித் தடவை.

நான் மைசூரில் இருந்தேன். என் தாயிடமிருந்து ஒரு கடிதம் வந்தது. அதில், “பாரதியார் இறந்துவிட்டார்!” என்ற செய்தி இருந்தது. முதலில் நான் நம்பவில்லை. மறுபடியும் என் தகப்பனாரே விவரமாக எழுதியிருந்தார்.

விதி முடிந்துவிட்டது! தமிழ்நாட்டின் அதிருஷ்டம் அவ்வளவுதான்!

1923-ம் வருஷம் நான் மறுபடி சென்னை வந்திருந்தேன். செல்லம்மா, தங்கம்மா, சகுந்தலா மூவரும் என்னை பார்க்க வந்திருந்தார்கள். அவர்களை காண எனக்கு வருத்தமாயிருந்தது.

செல்லம்மா, “யதுகிரி, அவர் பிராணன் போகும்முன்கூட, ‘செல்லம்மா, யதுகிரி எங்கே இருக்கிறாள்?’ என விசாரித்தார். நீ மைசூரில் இருப்பதாக சொன்னேன். ‘எவ்வளவு குழந்தைகள்?’ என்று கேட்டார். ‘நம்மைப்போல இரண்டு பெண்கள்’ என்றேன். உன்னைப் பார்க்க வேண்டும்போல இருப்பதாக சொல்லிவிட்டு, ‘அவள் இப்போது எங்கே வருவாள்? எங்காவது நன்றாக இருக்கட்டும்… காலை சமைத்து விடு, எட்டு மணிக்கெல்லாம் ஆபீசுக்கு போகவேணும்” என்றார். இதெல்லாம் சொன்ன ஒரு மணி நேரத்துக்கெல்லாம் உயிர் போய்விட்டது! என்ன செய்வேன்! அதுவும் ஒரு கூத்தாகிவிட்டது…! என்றார்

smala

Post by smala »

What someone felt on reading Yadugiri's Bharathi Ninaivugal in comparison to Bharathi's Carithram by Chellammal :

யதுகிரி, புண்ணியம் செய்த ஆத்மா. பாரதியின் பல கவிதைகளை முதலில் கேட்ட செவி இவருடையது. பாரதியின் நண்பரான மாண்டையம் ஸ்ரீ.ஸ்ரீநிவாஸசாரியாரின் மகள் தான் யதுகிரி. பாரதியுடனான தனது அனுபவங்களை இவர் “பாரதி நினைவுகள்” என்ற புத்தகமாக எழுதினார். என் அளவில் செல்லம்மாள் எழுதிய “பாரதி சரித்திரத்தை” விட இது மிக அழகான, முக்கியமான புத்தகமாக படுகிறது. செல்லம்மாளின் புத்தகத்தின் நான் அதுவரை கண்ட கேட்ட பாரதியையே காண முடிந்தது. அதாவது, எழுத்தின் மூலமாக நமக்கு காணக்கிடைக்கும் பிம்பத்தினை சற்றும் குலைக்காத வகையில் எழுதப்பட்ட நூல் செல்லம்மாவின் “பாரதி சரித்திரம்”. ஆனால் யதுகிரியின் “பாரதி நினைவுகள்” அப்படியல்ல. பாரதியை அவனது காவிய உயரத்திலும் சாதாரணத் தளத்திலும் ஒருசேர நிற்கவைக்க முயலும் படைப்பு இது. மேலும் பாரதியின் பல பாடல்கள் உருவான கணத்தையும் பதிவு செய்த புத்தகம்.

[Below : My own attempt at reading and transliteration from a very poor knowledge and rusty recall of Tamil - please pardon my errors! ] :

yadugiri puniyam seiyida aatma. Bharatiyin pala kavidaigal mudalil keta
sevi ivarudayathu. Bharathiyin nanbaraana Mandayam sri sri nivasariyarin magal thaan yadugiri. Bharatiyudanaana thanakku anubhavamgalai ivar "bharati ninaivugal" enru puthakkamaaga ezhuthuginraal. En alavil chellamaal ezhuthiya "bharati charitiratai" vittu ithu miga azhagaana, mukhiyamyaaana puthakkamaaka padukirathu. chellammaalin putthakkathil naan aguvarai ? kanda ? ketta ? bharathiyaiye kaana mudindathu. Athaavathu ezhuttin moolamaaga nammakku kaana kidaikkum (help! ->) பிம்பத்தினை சற்றும் குலைக்காத ?? vagayil ezhuthapatta noolu chellamaavin "bharathi charithram". Anaal yadugiriyin "bharati ninaivugal" appadi alla. Bharatiyai avanthu kaaviya uyarathilum sadaarana --> ?? thalatilum oru ser neerkavaikka muyalum ?? padaippu ithu. Melum Bharathiyin pala paatalkal ooruvaana கணத்தையும் ?? padivu seida putthakkam.
Last edited by smala on 26 Aug 2011, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

smala,
Who's asking 'others' for translations? ;)
Great job!
You have got Yadugiri's book as well! Please let us know where you got it from, so that others can also get the original in tamizh!

No, no pictures in this book.

smala

Post by smala »

Arasi, I was feeling down after chapter 26 and searching brought up this last chapter on the net - on the death of Bharathi, confirming the deep and special bonds between Bharathi and Yadugiri. She was a remarkable talented person herself, one who tuned in and eagerly received the deep messages Bharati poured out.

No, I don't have a copy yet but Tamilbooks online has the book available for Rs 35.
http://www.tamilbooksonline.in/searchbo ... NINAIVUGAL

Arasi, you have inspired me with your lovely translation so I just gave the transliteration a try. Please do me a favor and correct post 74 - esp. the gaps I couldn't transliterate - I know you're tired but this is just a few lines. Thanks.

Tamizhisai

Post by Tamizhisai »

I have enjoyed Arasi's translation of Ms Yadhugiri's book. As usual Arasi has done a splendid job. The English translation is as absorbing as the Tamil original.

Several members of this forum seem to be having a lot of information about BHARATHI's family. I have read two passing references about Chellamma's stay in the house of Poet-Writer Tiruloka Seetharam's house. Bharatidasan and Kavignar Vaali have visited her during that period. Wish some member throw more light on her stay in Tiruchi.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

arasi wrote:PBala,
Why don't you do it?
There are several others. Rajani, sridharang, Bilahari, to start with. Wonder if they have looked at the Bharathi threads...
Arasi,

It is an honor to be mentioned by you. I am just beginning to catch up with your exceptionally good translations of yadugiri's work and can't wait to finish it all - I have many chapters in the middle to go throgh still. As many others have said on the main thread, only an accomplished poet like you can bring out the beauty of the original text. Many many thanks for undertaking this huge effort and showing us a rare first person glimpse of Bharati through Yadugiri's eyes. I had not read or even heard of Yadugiri's book till you started the series, but now I can't stop wondering at the felicity of her expression (and the magic of your translation too), and would love to read the Tamil original some day.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

smala wrote:Can someone offer a translation?

என் கணவர்

1951ஆம் ஆண்டு திருச்சி வானொலியில் ""என் கணவர்"" என்ற தலைப்பில் திருமதி செல்லம்மாள் பாரதி ஆற்றிய உரை.)
S_P, here is an amateur attempt. Hope this helps.

My Husband

A 1951 Speech by Chellammal Bharati on AIR Trichy

Soceity may think I have a celebrity’s life. My dream to live a life worthy of praise became somewhat true. Today my husband’s fame is sky-high. I am praised as the Mahakavi’s wife today, but not long ago I had to face insults of being a lunatic’s wife. In my life there are many such ironies. It may sound funny, but I lived an eternal life with a poet who could not live in conformity with society. You can be the wife of anyone else – but to be the wife of a poet is most difficult.

Poets are a breed apart. Not even in their eating and sleeping habits are they like other mortals. Can you expect someone who wants to soar high in the poetic firmament using their rich imagination as wings, to live an ordinary life in a dark tenement, earning to feed his wife and dependents?
Poverty is the exclusive preserve of poets. To a poet, nothing on this earth is more pleasureable than (writing and enjoying) poems. So it falls on his wife to find some means of feeding the family. How can a poet shine if all the time he is preoccupied with thoughts of earning a livelihood for the sake of his wife, whom he nevertheless treats as the queen of his heart?

A poet is an unconventional being – nothing matters to him. But can any woman spend her life filled with nothing but worries? Isn’t it natural for a young woman’s heart to be filled with desires and longings? But a poet’s wife is fated to find happiness only in heaven. Happy living has been a mirage for poet’s wives: this hasn’t changed from the days of yore (Right from the days of “sattimuttap pulavar” **) down to me. He (Bharati) may be sitting deep in concentration, but as the headwoman of the family can I afford to sit in yogic stillness?
There are many sorts of poets. Those who write devotional works on god, those who create epics of high literary merit – they don’t suffer from the world outside. My husband not only wrote works of fiction, but nationalist ones too. I had to suffer for this reason. The repression (by the British government) attempted to dam his creative outbursts. The whole family had to endure the consequent sufferings. But his poems gushed forth like a river in spate, breaking all shackles.

After waking up early in the morning, he loved going up to the terrace and face the crimson sky. Every day he would have a different kind of bath but he loved sunbathing the most. Standing outside facing the sun is his version of sun bath. He believed that sun’s rays helped cleanse the eyes. He loved his coffee and dosas at breakfast time. He would spread ghee, curds and fresh pickle on the dosa before eating. But whatever be the favourite food I prepare for him, three fourths of it would be consumed by his beloved crows and sparrows. Somehow I could never accept his habit of sharing his food with the birds. There was no dearth of friends / disciples (around him); (when he is around) nor has there ever been a shortage of information (news/ current affairs). His singing entered the ears like nectar and filled the whole body. But one thing would stop me from enjoying it all – my load of worries.

In a world filled with sycophancy, he ordered that we should always speak the truth. No matter what, lying was forbidden. We all know how difficult this can be.

Puduvai (Pondicherry) became my jail. What can a jail do to one? Of course it does not affect the learned/ self-realized. They have the mental fortitude to face anything. But it heaped on me, a simple woman whose only ambition was to manage the household well, newer and newer forms of suffering.

It was in Puduvai that many new things emerged: (his concept of?) new civilization, rise of the new (modern) woman, new poetry (“pudukkavidai” – the unconventional style of poetry that broke rules of established grammar) – all these were born. For many of these new discoveries, I ended up as his research material. After agonizing for a long time over whether women needed to be given equal rights or not, finally he came to the conclusion that it (equality for women) was essential, and wanted to practice it in his life with great eagerness. The hardships I went through, until he came to this decision (on equality of women), is beyond description.

Although he had no opportunity to take part in political affairs when in Puduvai, he had some peace of mind due to the chance to serve Tamil with his literary work. Most of his poems we treasure now were born there. My husband laboured to make man eternal, and went ahead bravely working for his objectives disregarding all obstacles and opposition.

The Mahakavi lived for our country and its freedom. It is no surprise that he, steeped in Tamil culture, lived a life filled with munificence, kindness and tolerance. Nor was it unexpected that he awakened the sleeping Tamils; what remains a wonder for me is that even after he passed away in the physical sense, he is a living part of every Tamil speaking person today. The best way to describe this is by using his own poetic phrase: “viNDuraikka mATTAda vindaiyaDA” (my poor translation: wonder that can’t be described in words)

**sattimuttappulavar or sattimuRRappulavar is the famed poet who wrote “nArai viDu dUtu”. It is a classic Tamil poem describing the poet’s poverty, in which he sends a message through a red-legged stork (“nArai”), that has a beak like a palmyrah root split in two symmetrical halves (“panaiyin kizhangu piLandanna pavaLakkoorvAic cengAl nArAi”), asking it to convey his abysmal living conditions in the pANDyan kingdom to his wife living in the town of sattimuRRAm, in a house with leaky roof and clicking geckos…he describes himself as staying in a choultry, with no upper garment to cover himself, clasping his hands and pressing his knees against his chest as a protection against the cold, teeth chattering, and generally miserable. Chellamma says that nothing has changed in the living conditions of poets from then till her time.
Last edited by sridhar_ranga on 02 Sep 2011, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done sridhar_rang
You have done a signal service by translating Chellamal's radio talk. The translation is very good and flows naturally.
Congratulations!

smala

Post by smala »

Yes, thanks a lot sridhar_rang - so glad to see you back after a long while.

Chellamal's narrative confirms my thoughts that Bharathi was looked upon as a "urpadaatha" "paithiyakaaran" during his times, especially Chellammal's family - could be one reason, I presume, why she left him behind, taking off to Kadayam with his beloved daughters, despite his pleas for her to stay back. That Puduvai was a "prison" for her may also have driven her to do this in some part...

Some key lines :
"So it falls on his wife to find some means of feeding the family...." "After agonizing for a long time over whether women needed to be given equal rights or not, finally he came to the conclusion that it (equality for women) was essential, and wanted to practice it in his life with great eagerness. The hardships I went through, until he came to this decision (on equality of women), is beyond description."

Her natal family, in particular, more than the general population, seemed to have judged Bharati's failings in terms of a provider while a fugitive at Puduvai with scant regard for his poetic abilities and his creations. That could one reason why why Bharati strongly resisted pressures to move and settle in Kadayam, from Puduvai. Prior to the move to Puduvai, in Chennai, Chellamal apparently had a good life according to Vijaya Bharathi, daughter of Thangamma.

The key to this address is the year 1951. When a lot about Bharathi had sunk in. The fact that Chellamal realized Bharathi's genius through the pouring of public appreciation for his poems - after he was gone - is seen in this talk-account of My Husband.

Yadugiri not only wrote an exceptional Bharathi Ninaivugal - she gave us vignettes of the background and context of many the gems that were born there. Her recall, some two decades after Bharathi's death, of the many conversations with Bharati is so crisp and precise that it does not cease to amaze me. Yadugiri was most fortunate indeed, a very sharp sensitive intellect herself which is why her memoirs are said to be very different from those written by Chellamal and others.

It should now be interesting, and the next logical step, to read :

1) Chellammal's 1941 tavap pudalvar - bhAratiyAr carittiram (Publisher?)

2) Thangammal's
-1946 amaran kadai
-1947 bhAratiyum kavidaiyum
-1947 piLLaip pirayattilE
-1978 endaiyum tAyum

3) Vijaya Bharati, daughter of Thangammal :

Thangammal's Bharati Padaipukal (2004, Centenary publication, Amudhasurabi, Chennai, pages 472, Price Rs.200.)

Anybody with access - please translate! This will become a mega thread, have so much to look forward to!
Last edited by smala on 02 Sep 2011, 23:01, edited 4 times in total.

smala

Post by smala »

P. Bala :

could you repost here those that you deleted from the other Bharathi-Yadugiri thread?

Thanks.

smala

Post by smala »

By her own admission, Chellammal states that Bharati treated her as the 'queen of his heart" - so wonder how the stories of him mis-treating his wife got started.

arasi

Post by arasi »

sridhar,
Thank you for bringing Chellamma's talk to those who don't read tamizh. As CML says, you are very good (and I knew it;) )!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
I have started a new topic for your your new translations at
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 24#p205424
Pl continue there.
Comments/discussions relating to them can be posted here.
I am also making that thread sticky so it wont get buried in new posts!

smala

Post by smala »

CML make this discussion thread a sticky too right below the Oy Bharathiyar and New Bharathi Materials - then it will be easy to read from the top two and discuss in the third - without having to go down and search for the discussion thread - also rename this one from "Bharathiyar" to "Bharathiyar-Discussion" to make it distinct.

cmlover

Re: Bharatiyar Discussions

Post by cmlover »

Done!

bharatanatyamrasika

Post by bharatanatyamrasika »

this piece is exquisite. would it be possible to post the second part - i would love to see how the dancer choreographs un kannil neer vazhindal en nenjil udirum kottudhdi?

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

To day is his anniversary...

A composition I liked....

ஒளியும் இருளும்

வானமெங்கும் பரிதியின் சோதி;
மலைகள் மீதும் பரிதியின் சோதி;
தானை நீர்க்கடல் மீதிலும் ஆங்கே
தரையின் மீதும் தருக்களின் மீதும்
கானகத்திலும் பற்பல ஆற்றின்
கரைகள் மீதும் பரிதியின் சோதி;
மானவன்றன் உளத்தினில் மட்டும்
வந்து நிற்கும் இருளிது வென்னே! 1

சோதி என்னும் கரையற்ற வெள்ளம்,
தோன்றி எங்கும் திரைகொண்டு பாய,
சோதி என்னும் பெருங்கடல், சோதிச்
சூறை, மாசறு சோதி யனந்தம்,
சோதி என்னும் நிறைவிஃ துலகைச்
சூழ்ந்து நிற்ப, ஒருதனி நெஞ்சம்
சோதி யன்றதொர் சிற்றிருள் சேரக்
குமைந்து சோரும் கொடுமையி தென்னே. 2

தேம லர்க்கொர் அமுதன்ன சோதி,
சேர்ந்து புள்ளினம் வாழ்த்திடும் சோதி,
காம முற்று நிலத்தொடு நீரும்
காற்றும் நன்கு தழுவி நகைத்தே
தாமயங்கிநல் லின்புறுஞ் சோதி,
தரணி முற்றும் ததும்பி யிருப்ப,
தீமை கொண்ட புலையிருள் சேர்ந்தோர்
சிறிய நெஞ்சந் தியங்குவ தென்னே! 3

நீர்ச் சுனைக்கணம் மின்னுற் றிலக,
நெடிய குன்றம் நகைத்தொழில் கொள்ள,
கார்ச்ச டைக்கரு மேகங்க ளெல்லாம்,
கனக மொத்துச் சுடர்கொண் டுலாவ,
தேர்ச்சி கொண்டுபல் சாத்திரங் கற்றும்
தெவிட்டொ ணாதநல் லின்பக் கருவாம்
வேர்ச்சுடர் பரமாண் பொருள் கேட்டும்
மெலிவோர் நெஞ்சிடை மேவுதல் என்னே!

-Barathi...

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

ஈசன் வந்து சிலுவையில் மாண்டான்,
எழுந்து யிர்த்தனன் நாள்ஒரு மூன்றில்;
நேச மாமரி யாமக்த லேநா
நேரிலே யிந்தச் செய்தியைக் கண்டாள் *
தேசத்தீர்! இதன் உட்பொருள் கேளீர்;
தேவர் வந்து நமக்குட் புகுந்தே
நாசமின்றி நமைநித்தங் காப்பார்,
நம் அகந்தையை நாம்கொன்று விட்டால்.

அன்பு காண்மரி யாமக்தலேநா,
ஆவி காணுதிர் யேசு கிறிஸ்து;
முன்பு தீமை வடிவினைக் கொன்றால்
மூன்று நாளினில் நல்லுயிர் தோன்றும்;
பொன்பொலிந்த முகத்தினிற் கண்டே
போற்றுவாள் அந்த நல்லுயிர் தன்னை
அன்பெனும் மரி யாமக்த லேநா
ஆஹ! சாலப் பெருங்களியிஃதே.

உண்மை யென்ற சிலுவையிற் கட்டி
உணர்வை ஆணித் தவங்கொண்டடித்தால்,
வண்மைப் பேருயிர் யேசு கிறிஸ்து
வான மேனியில் அங்கு விளங்கும்
பெண்மை காண்மரி யாமக்த லேநா,
பேணும் நல்லறம் யேசு கிறிஸ்து,
நுண்மை கொண்ட பொருளிது கண்டீர்
நொடியிலிஃது பயின்றிடலாகும்.

*[தீய ஒழுக்கத்தில் நின்ற மேரி மக்தலேன் என்பாள் யேசு கிறிஸ்துவை அடைந்து, தனது ஒழுக்கத்திற்காகப் பரிதபித்து, தன்னைக் கடையேற்ற வேண்டுமென்று வேண்டினாள். யேசுவும் அவளுக்கு அருள் புரிந்தார். யேசு புதைக்கப்பட்ட மூன்றாம் நாள் அவர் உடம்புடன் எழுந்து விண்ணேகினதை மேரி மக்தலேன் கண்ணால் கண்டு பிறருக் கறிவித்ததாய்க் கிறிஸ்து புராணம் கூறுகின்றது. இக்கதையையே இங்கு விளக்கியிருக்கிறது.]

This poem was written by Bharatri (Bharatiar Kavidaigal - Kumaran Padippagam - 1997 - Page 92-93). Notes also from the same book.

If Bharati is alive today, will he also be classified as 'pseudo secularist'?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Bharathi was a Hindu because he saw the same God everywhere, like Ramakrishna did in his experience. A pseudo secularist is one who finds the very mention of the word Hindu to be communal and any Hindu practice to be anti-social. If Bharathi had lived he would have realised the dream of writing a new divyaprabandham, Bible and Koran in inimitable poetry that would have enriched Tamizh literature and our minds. It raankles in my mind that the discussion of pseudo secularism should crop up in the context of Bharathi.

kvjayan

Post by kvjayan »

Mahakavi Bharati would be called a pseudo-secularist if he had practiced and propagated selective secularism, denigrating only Hindu gods and Hindu ways of worship, keeping a blind eye to the faults in other religions, calling only Hindu puranas and itihasas as"mythology", appeasement of minorities to dip into their vote bank etc. etc. etc. He attacked and criticised evil where ever he found them. But, he did not seem to have indulged in self-loathing to exhibit his secular credentials.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

chellappa,
I understand. But then, I raised this issue in regard to some of the observations made in the parallel thread about 'Christian Kutchery'. Since I cannot post Tamil version in all threads, I chose this thread.

Bharati's explanation of 'resurrection' in the poem is a classic example of how certain words which have been given totally unscientific meanings - revival of dead body - can be explained through the prism of Indian philosophy. It is matter of pride that we belong to this rational tradition based on enquiry and not dogmas.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Here are views of Bharati on contemporary Musical scene of Tamil Nadu and his exhortations -
http://ilakkiyapayilagam.blogspot.in/20 ... _4641.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Govindan,
I had read this before, but thanks for bringing it back for us to read.

It's amazing how what he wrote then still rings true. Well, it was bhArathi. So, no need to be taken by surprise. The intuition and brilliance in his statements are what makes this piece of writing valuable.

He covers all the rasAs he lists, with examples. This is truly a handbook for vidvAns and vidUshis, though after nearly a century, there are a few things here which
do not apply anymore.

RasikAs too have a lot to learn from him :)