Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arasi

Re: Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Post by arasi »

TWENTY SIX

iRudi
(The End)

In roudra varusham, in the month of Chittirai, my father, Iyer and others returned home. After the end of the war, they were free to come home. My father stayed on until Iyer was free to come to British India. But for Aravindar, the rest of them had left Puduvai.

Soon after, the Puduvai mUvar (Bharathi, Iyer and my father) started living in the same place again--Chennai. Bharathi worked at svadESa Mitran and Iyer at dESa Bhaktan. My father went back to his old business.

At the end of the month of aippasi, I had gone to Chennai from Mysore. Chellamma and Bhagyalakshmi Ammal came to see me. The Iyers lived in George Town then, I think. Bharathi and Chellamma lived in TiruvallikkENi in TuLasingap perumAL Koil street. We lived in PEyAzhvAr kOil street, facing the mantapam in front of Parthasarathy Swamy temple.

Bharathiyar was home only from seven to nine in the morning. Then, he left for work. He came home during the break, occasionally.

Hindi prachAr (propogation of Hindi) had started just then. Devadas Gandhi taught Hindi and national songs in our upstairs hall.

When seeing little babies saying 'Ao, Ao, Ao', BharathiAr had a habit of singing to them, 'AO sakala bhArath kumAr!' (Come, little son of all India!). "The little ones are saying, 'come, let's all be one!', but we foolish adults don't pay any attention to it!"

The political scene then was tense. The Ali bothers, on their way to Chennai were arrested. Their mother was a brave woman. She spoke at the beach meeting. At the end of it when people were starting to disperse, Bharathi got on stage and sang 'jaya bErigai koTTaDA, koTTaDA!' and the crowds came back in throngs. They loved to hear Bharathi's songs and his speeches. His voice and his verses charmed them all. That day, he sang the verses, interspersing them with the sounds of the drums (bERigai ), with his own voice!

When I was in Chennai, Bharathi overheard my saying, "Both children that I have are daughters and the one son I had, is no more". He chided me. "Daughters are more affectionate than sons, Yadugiri. You were a little child when you were in Puduvai. You still are the same in your affection for me. Your brother Sami is too occupied with family affairs. He does not find time to come and see me, as you still do".

I was in Chennai until ugAdi. Bharathi came to our house almost every day. Chellamma, Thangamma and Sakunthala came to see us often.
On the day I left for Bangalore that month, Bharathi came by in the morning. "Chellamma said it was an inappropriate day for a shave. So, I came to your house," he said and got shaven in the front of our house .

Bharathi came again that evening. I did namaskArams to him and asked him when he would come to visit us in Bangalore.

Bharathi: What business do I have in Bangalore, Amma? Have a good journey and be well. The next time you come to Chennai, I don't know where I'm going to be. That was why I came to see you again.

That was the last time I saw him.

I was in Mysore. My mother wrote to me that Bharathiar was no more. I could not believe it. Soon, my father wrote a long letter, giving me all the details.

It was the misfortune of tamizh nADu that Bharathi died, and that too, in his prime.

In 1923, I was back in Chennai. Chellamma, Thangamma and Sakunthala came to see me. It was a sad moment.

Chellamma: He asked about you even on the day that he passed away. "Where is Yadugiri now? How many children has she?". "Two girls, like us," I answered.
"I don't know when she will come to Chennai. I miss seeing her. Wherever she is, let her be happy," he said. "Chellamma, finish cooking by eight in the morning. I have to go to the office early," he said. He died soon after. What could I do? It all seems like a play, this life of ours!"

After so many years of our struggle for freedom, we are now free--because of great patriots like Tillakar, Bharathi, Chidambaram Pillai and V.V.S. Iyer. They laid the foundation for the freedom which we enjoy.

Bharathi was inspired by some unknown force. When he sang, poetry flooded out of him .There were times when he was surprised with some of his own lines of poetry. He didn't go in search of words, style, grammar or rhyme. He was a vara kavi (born with a boon-poet).

Bharathi had the habit of asking himself questions. I used to be surprised by this."Whom did you speak to at the beach?"--I'd ask. He would laugh and say, 'with parAsakti, with the sea!" I did not know the impact of it then. I realize now that to be a great poet, to develop one's sensibilities to that extent, one should do penance of a very high order. Bharathi was a living example of such a poet. Poets like him are born only once in a few centuries. Lucky indeed are the nations which produce such great souls!

THE END

The translator's note:

I reluctantly take leave of the company of Bharathi, Chellamma, Yadugiri, Iyer and their families. It was an inspiring (and perspiring!) summer for me to journey back with them into the past. If only a few young men and women have been reading this and have started discovering 'their' Bharathi, I'd be delighted. Bharathi's works have universal appeal, but for every Indian, particularly a tamizhan, he is a national treasure which we all own--which we can keep and also share endlessly.
Bharathi sought immortality and he got it. He lives forever in his poetry and his other works.There is immense value and beauty in his verses which are guaranteed to appeal to humanity until the end of the world.

We are stepping into September, the month of Bharathi Day. I am glad I finished the translation well before that special day (as I promised) and now want to go back to his poetry which will feed me with inspiration and offer me renewal, as it always does. No, I revise my statement: go back to his poetry, so that all of us get inspired and are ready for renewal!

We have many performers who are members on Rasikas.org. Those who are not, visit our forum to browse. If they include many Bharathi's songs in their repertoire, kudos to them all. Those who don't--please consider singing his songs, as joyfully as he did ;)

I thank Yadugiri's daughter Dwaraki Krishnaswamy for lending me, and letting me make a copy of her mother's book.

Thanks to those who have been reading this translation and also for their patience when I took a break . Special thanks to friends on the forum who have always been extremely kind to the old lady.

I thank srkris for making this thread a sticky to ensure that it didn't sink to the bottom of the page and disappear. Due to that, many more rasikAs have had a chance to read it.

For those of us who already adore, admire and worship Bharathi, it was good to hear Yadugiri tell her story about him. I hope she inspires the young just as much, so that they can pass on their love for Bharathi to their children and they to theirs and so it goes on and on--Bharathi's immortality is ensured that way.
Thanks again, all!

Arasi
Last edited by arasi on 25 Aug 2011, 07:15, edited 3 times in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks, beyond words, Arasi ...

smala

Post by smala »

A great job, well done. A concise yet moving memoir devoted to the great Bharathi has been made accessible to so many outside the Tamil arena, thanks to your skills in keeping the spirit of the contents and for undertaking this venture.

I thank you, Arasi, for taking me back in time on this remarkable journey, to live the moments with Yadugiri, Bharathi, Chellammal and others. Although written nearly a century back, the events seem like they happened yesterday. The dialogues are relevant even today. The wisdom dripping from Bharathi's razor sharp mind and extra-ordinary macro vision - outlives us all. Bharathi's poetry is truly magical, a work of art and love from a man who knew how to love.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you so much Arasi for taking us on this remarkable and inspirational journey back in time.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - umakku ananta kOTi namaskAram! Thank you for being Dwaraki's friend, thank you for having taken the trouble to translate the book - but for which, many of us would not have known about it, about Yadugiri (who will remain in my mind forever as the young teenaged friend of the mahAkavi, a man the likes of whom we will never see again), and about aspects of bhArati others have not touched upon. And above all, thank you for being an admirer of bhArati and his poetry and your generosity in sharing with us. And of course, thanks to Krishnan for sharing you with us this summer. I am more a little sorry to see the saga end.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Arasi. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your lovely prose over the last several weeks.

vanajan

Post by vanajan »

Thank you Arasi for letting us into the world of Bharathi,Yadhugiri and Chellammal, through your wonderful translation.

Vanaja

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arasi:
Thanks.
Great job! Wonderful translation!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Speechless! What else can I say!
How can we thank you for this magnum effort!
Somebody should contact veeyens and work on foramtting the collection into a readable book....
Perhaps a publisher should publish it in print for wider circulation and include it in the school curriculam!

Now take a well-deserved break and participate in the ensuing discussions. I will be gone for the next ten days but will be reading them avidly.

Folks

Do continue the discussions in the Bharathiyar thread.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 5&start=50
We will lock this thread in a couple of days after everyone gets the chance to thank our Arasi for her great service...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It has been a great contribution that took us inside the mind of Bharathi, that was true, compassionate and grasped truth intuitively and poured them out as trail-blazing poetry.
It would be nice if more insights could be offered in this forum continuously to be in touch with that great mind.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

smala Ref your posting #246 I have since removed the photo, not appropriate to to the thread May Sri Rama bless you

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

All good things have to come to an end. arasi, what a great 'labour of love'?
Thanks for taking the efforts. :clap:

arasi

Post by arasi »

How young can a ninety-one year old be! Our Veeyens has already got it ready in book form and has sent me a copy by E-mail!

Punarvasu,
We are also very proud of your father!

Thanks, Veeyens!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, I am proud of him too. Yes , he belongs to the generation which likes things done, not tomorrow, not today but 'YESTERDAY' !

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arasi madam, I feel short of words to express my feelings. I feel as if I have lived in the neighbourhood of Bharathiyar and Yadugiri and have moved closely with Bhrathiyar, Chellammal, Yadugiri, Iyer, Murugesan Pillai and all. Agan and again I thank you for this great work of yours.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I was sad to see the journey end. What a wonderful human being Bharathi was! He was way ahead of his time with modern ideas and insight. A person with independant ideas doesn't blend with the society which has a standard and common belief. If you differ from them, you are branded as crazy or weird. This is the same all over the world.
Let us give a big hand to Arasi for her beautiful translation of this nice book. Arasi did a fine job ( she is a proficient writer with books to her credit) and I want to thank her for sharing this with us . Thank you,Arasi and you brought Bharathi and Chellamma to life. We lived with them and felt their pain and happiness.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

It takes one poet to bring out the appeal of another, and Arasi has done it with aplomb. Thank you very much.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi is not just a poet but a superb novelist.
Coming from a gifted musical family, it will be nice if she starts penning her own memories and experiences on VVS, AK, AS... which will be a significant contribution to our CM history....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover wrote:Arasi is not just a poet but a superb novelist.
Coming from a gifted musical family, it will be nice if she starts penning her own memories and experiences on VVS, AK, AS... which will be a significant contribution to our CM history....
That is a great idea cml, one can get a glimpse of Arasi as a young yadugiri.

Shri Veeyens,
Wow , that was a great effort for you taking all the posts and passing it to Arasi. :clap: :clap:
Last edited by rajeshnat on 03 Sep 2011, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

arasi

I have no words to describe my thanks and gratitude for bringing this out.

Is it possible to get a copy of the original book. I can scan the pages and upload.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thx rajumds. That will be a great service for us to read the original as well. Perhaps you can borrow one from Dwaraki at Bangalore as directed by arasi.

rajeshnat:
... and AS as Iyer,

smala

Post by smala »

rajumds wrote:arasi

Is it possible to get a copy of the original book. I can scan the pages and upload.
This info below has been given before by Vasanthakokilam in this thread and I too posted it the other thread but here it is again.

Book seems to be available at :

http://www.tamilbooksonline.in/searchbo ... NINAIVUGAL

Tamil Books Online,
C/o New Book Lands
52c, Basement Shop, Near Panagal Park
North Usman Road, Opp Tanishq Jewellery,
Near GRT Jewellery, T Nagar,
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600017

Voice : +91 44 42012133, +91 9840430906.

Email
Business Enquiries : sales@simpleindia.com
General Info : info@simpleindia.com

arasi

Post by arasi »

After spending time with Irene (and some after-effects of her visit), we are back to civilization, at last. No power until this evening, had some problems to deal with, but we are fine.
It was like going back to Puduvai in naLa varusham ...
Will post tomorrow ;)

smala

Post by smala »

Glad that all is well, Arasi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

All
Few weeks back I went to the shop in T Nagar and tried to get the book. Unfortunately could not get the book as it was out of circulation.Then talked with the book shop manager who connected the publisher . It took few iterations for me , book manager and thru him the publisher to sync and get the details of the book.

As the book was gone out of print , the publisher thru the book shop manager insisted me to order atleast 1000 copies which was hefty amount , negotiated him to print 100 copies@45 Rs each , just today I paid the full advance for 100 copies , the book shop manager has given me the receipt and will be delivering the printed books to me by this month end.

On an interesting note , this order of 100 copies has made the publisher to search the archives and take the original manuscript typesetting , to that extent the payment that I made has possibly raised yadugiri's biography back to circulation.

Once when I get the copies I will notify again and then let us then find a way to distribute to each of you or better yet a group of 10 can take 10 copies each and distribute to your city/area.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Great job, Rajesh. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
That's some initiative on your part! Keep five copies for me, please!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I never heard of a one-man-initiated reprint before! Amazing initiative. Well done :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you so much Rajesh. Awaiting my copy and I offer to share the expenses with you and so may some others in the Forum... Keep us posted.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you all once again (the ones I've thanked before!)--for all your kind words which you have expressed once again.

rajumds,
Thanks a lot!

Came across some more material pertaining to Bharathi, which will add to what we have here of Yadugiri's insightful look at him. They are not reviews or information, but are snippets of writing about Bharathi, which rightly belong here, and not in the other thread.
I will come up with them as soon as I can.

smala

Post by smala »

Looking forward eagerly, Arasi - hope this turns into a mega thread/project with other books on Bharati as well.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Namaskaram, Smt.Arasi.

Bharathiar will live for ever. So will Yadugiri through her book and so also Smt.Arasi, through this translation. There will be demand for reprinting of all three again and again one way or the other.

I will be one of many people who would cut and paste all the chapters into a text file and probably insert the appropriate Bharati songs, format the whole thing, convert to pdf and save as a treasure.

Shall we call the new english production

"Hello Bharathiar"
written by Yadugiri- translated into english by Smt.Arasi
First published in rasikas.org

Sri. Rajeshnat: I can undertake to buy in bulk and circulate in Bangalore. Please give instructions and I will follow.

Finally, I would like to say Thank You to Smt.Arasi. But it sounds so hollow and tears roll down my cheeks for the immeasurable service done by you to Tamil literature/ music.

I just say once again my Pranaams.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kssr
Do share your PDF file with us at this Forum..
Thx

vasanthakokilam

kssr, please do. Veeyens, please share your compilation too. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
Thank you, but you praise me far too much.
We are a team, we are all Bharathi's fans, and want his poetry to reach more and more readers.
It's heartening to know that many rasikAs have read this translation. I hope that all of Bharathi's books and books about him get reprinted over and over again.
Above all, as CML said, the schools should show a renewed interest in finding ways of inspiring children by introducing Bharathi to them in a way that he enlightens them with his works--and with the help of books about him.
nalladOr vINaiyAm bhAratiyai nalamoDu pENudal vENDum...

As for the title of the book: I went for Oy bhArathiyArE! because it touched me, the way Yadugiri addresses him somewhere in the book. She also prefaces her questions with BhArathiyArE! That Oy says more than what one can imagine, and we from the south of tamizh nADu know the endearment it shows. I'm afraid, Hello Bharathi cannot do it to that extent (since we use that expression even to strangers). The title can just be A Child's Eye View of Bharathi, and in parenthesis, Oy BhArathiyArE!. After all, we saw that two titles for a work was common in his time. Later, it was so with movies!

Thanks Veeyens and kssr (and Jayshri too?) for all your efforts.
Meanwhile, VKailasam has written to me that he wants to put songs of Bharathi with appropriate passages from the book on Youtube. I haven't yet gone through what he has sent me.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Sep 2011, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

Arasi's translation has been reformated to 8 by 5 page size of about 108 pages. I did not change the font size etc as the publisher and printer are in a better position to do that.It is an odf file and I can convert it to PDF.And, the million dollar question. How do I share it with you?How can I attach it as as a seperate file? or if e.mail I.D s are given it will be my pleasure to send it to you all. As I have indicated to Arasi, I feel like the squirrel who (?) helped Sri Rama build the Rama Sethu. May Sri Rama bless you all

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:kssr,
Thank you, but you praise me far too much.
"ThinaiththuNai nandri seyinUm panaiththuNayaai k
koLvar payan therivaar." Tirukkural 104

Anyone who realises the "value" of the work will agree with me. But for you we would not have known about this book of Yadugiri. Then comes the translation; sharing it with all of us. Where can we get such a ring side view of a poet/ a revolutionary / a thinker/ one of the greatest indians / one of the greatest tamilians? The circumstance under which a particular composition was made is often discussed by scholars of CM. I have heard several in the case of Saint Thyagaraja / MD /SS. But these are more or less legends- meaning not 100% reliable historical facts. But here is a totally authentic eye witness account of how and when (upto the date in some cases) Bharathiar composed particular songs; what was the social environment, what was the family environment and so on.

Believe me. it is a priceless work.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

veeyens
For the present just send the pdf file by email to those of us here as an attachment. Let me be the first to request. My email is
cmlover@rogers.com
srkris can explore and see whether it can be hosted at this forum...

P.S ..and may Lord Sri Rama bless yu and your family for the loving service you are rendering to all of us at the Forum.

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

I also would love to receive a pdf copy. My email address is govindaswamy.s77@gmail.com

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just now had a chance of looking at the links V. Kailasam had sent me. Please go and have a look at his website. He has taken the trouble to post the translation there, interspersing it with songs which are mentioned there, sung by various vocalists. I was bowled over to hear NCV sing piLLaip pirAyattilE! Hadn't heard that one at all before! Spring cuckoo, have you?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi
Do post the link where vkailasam has uploaded the pieces...

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
I have sent you mail.

smala

Post by smala »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thx smala
I have already seen it courtesy of arasi..
It is impressive with the imbedded music.
Vkailasam may also add the lyrics to those songs.
He has even added a picture of arasi!
Good work!

vasanthakokilam

Thanks for the ready link to v'kailasam's site. He has done an impressive job with the in place linking to the audio. This kind of multimedia collaboration and production is possible only in this connected age.

Arasi, I listened to the 'piLLaip pirAyattilE'. Not that I am an expert at all things NCV, but it sounded like it could have been MSS also. May be Cienu can comment. ( ref: http://e-swari.blogspot.com/2011/07/oy- ... to-12.html, at the end of chapter 5 )

cienu

Post by cienu »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Arasi, I listened to the 'piLLaip pirAyattilE'. Not that I am an expert at all things NCV, but it sounded like it could have been MSS also. May be Cienu can comment. ( ref: http://e-swari.blogspot.com/2011/07/oy- ... to-12.html, at the end of chapter 5 )
It is indeed the voice of the immortal NCV :) I did a re-check on the discography of MSS in the website www.msstribute.org and Pillai Pirayathile is not one of the songs sung by her.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Cienu.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

N.C/V's life is a classical example of the saying that a small individual sacrifice justifies a much larger communal gain. Had she not hitched her star to C.K Sachi and come to Madras
and regaled us with her wonderful music, she would have died, probably couple of years earlier, for want of proper medical facilities, as Sundara Kamakshi,after having ground dough for couple of thousand iddlis for her hotelier husband but retaining her membership of “KalllAnAlum kaNavan pullAnAlum purushan” genre of tamilian housewives. The ref. to her transformed me to a satisfied cud chewing cow, recalling the old days when I was privileged to hear her music As I was typing this, I saw the LED indicating lamps flickering. As i was singing as usual when at the computer I panicked if my voice got embedded somehow. Only after opening the posting again, I was satisfied that you were spared the agony. May Sri Rama bless you

smala

Post by smala »

One of these days do post an audio and regale us with your best song - worry out, song in. :D May Sri Rama bless you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Veeyenes, from what I can tell about Smt. NCV (especially from some wonderful writings of Radnor Guy), she met and hitched her 'star' to Satchi much after she came to Madras. Her dad brought her to the Mecca of music to get her career going.