Carnatic Music Idol USA 2011

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
mohan

Carnatic Music Idol USA 2011

Post by mohan »

Haven't seen any reports about the CMI competition that has been running in the US for the last few weeks? Any reports, I think the final is nearing?

A friend of mine said she attended and was disappointed to see that judges were still asking questions of and adjudicating their own students, despite all the problems about this that were raised with regard to the Cleveland Aradhana competitions.

true_rasika

Re: Carnatic Music Idol USA 2011

Post by true_rasika »

Heard that Shyamala Ramakrishna is the Carnatic Music Idol 2011. But there seems to a 'conflict of interest' in the judging /selection. She has been undergoing advanced training from Shri NSG, who was one the judges. How can the judging be fair / unbiased?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Congratulations to Shyamala. I am sure she is an excellent singer however, the organisers could have easily avoided any controversy by excluding judges from adjudicating on any of their students.

mishram

Post by mishram »

not sure how the other kids fared, but this kid seems to sing well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-mFX9Dvk4

harimau

Post by harimau »

true_rasika wrote:
Heard that Shyamala Ramakrishna is the Carnatic Music Idol 2011. But there seems to a 'conflict of interest' in the judging /selection. She has been undergoing advanced training from Shri NSG, who was one the judges. How can the judging be fair / unbiased?
The same issue was raised a year ago in the Channai Carnatic Idol contest when Sriranjani Santhanagopalan (for those whose neurons don't fire properly, she happens to be Neyveli Santhanagopalan's daughter) was a contestant. Sri Santhanagopalan recused himself from judging her and, in horse-racing parlance, she didn't win, place or show. So much for the deference the other judges showed to Sri Santhanagopalan whereas all of you felt that they would be influenced by the mere fact that she is the daughter of one of their colleagues.

Since quite a large number of senior musicians teach North American students, it gives True Mudthrowers a chance to vent their unsubstantiated opinions on a forum like this. The alternative would be to have NA kids learn from neighborhood mamas and mamis, be they from San Diego or Mylapore, and then we can of course complain about the quality of the students and the winner!

Aaaarrrrggghhhhhh! Enough already!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

It reminds me of a famous Tamil saying
நெருப்பில்லாமல் புகையுமா?
[can there be smoke without the existance of fire]

Thanjavooran 26 09 2011

mathe-kamas

Post by mathe-kamas »

Where can I see the other results for the competition? Congratulations to Shyamala and her parents!

suma

Post by suma »

Congratulations Shyamala

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I saw that CM idol winner for 2011 was Raghavendra in internet.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 308AAIYJ32
http://www.rkbuzz.com/applications/2509 ... 91-ww.html
K V Chellappa

appu

Post by appu »

harimau wrote:
Since quite a large number of senior musicians teach North American students, it gives True Mudthrowers a chance to vent their unsubstantiated opinions on a forum like this. The alternative would be to have NA kids learn from neighborhood mamas and mamis, be they from San Diego or Mylapore, and then we can of course complain about the quality of the students and the winner!

Aaaarrrrggghhhhhh! Enough already!
Harimau,

NA has quite a good number of gifted professionals too who could have been invited to judge the contest. It does raise eyebrows when teachers judge their own students.

Once again both Jaya TV and the Aradhana Committee should consider the alternative and dispel such accusations from potential mud slingers.

Appu

music_is_life

Post by music_is_life »

true_rasika wrote:Heard that Shyamala Ramakrishna is the Carnatic Music Idol 2011. But there seems to a 'conflict of interest' in the judging /selection. She has been undergoing advanced training from Shri NSG, who was one the judges. How can the judging be fair / unbiased?
As the parent of the First runners up of the CMI USA 2011 who was at the venue of the Finals, I want to emphasize that the Judges were extremely fair and unbiased. Shri. NSG refrained from asking any question to this participant. The other two judges posed several questions and I particularly liked the way she quickly responded when asked to sing a swara pattern with same kArvai of the pallavi line landing exactly at the right place.

I don't want to give away any further details as JAYA TV will telecast this in November. The organizers, Shri V. V. Sundaram representing Cleveland Aradhana Committee, Jaya TV and Maximum Media with support from 4 local Organization pulled off a miracle in a short span of 1 month conducting this successfully and deserve kudos for their effort.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Who were the other judges for this competition?

music_is_life

Post by music_is_life »

Sowmya and Shashi Kiran were the other judges

mathe-kamas

Post by mathe-kamas »

From talking to other people who attended/organized this event, I understand that NSG excused himself from judging Shyamala. Shyamala is such an accomplished young lady who has blossomed listening to her mother Rajeshwari, and music is in her veins. I have heard Shyamala at Cleveland, she was one of the concert competition winners two years ago and performed there this year. Overall, she is a well deserving candidate. Please stop bickering and congratulate the winner.

I have seen times in the Indian circles where an "apaswaram" candidate would win or get ahead because the judges or teacher wanted some other favor from the parents. That is irritating. When a good candidate wins, why bicker? Let the young person celebrate, she has worked very hard to get here!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Congratulations to Shyamala!

sramakrishna

Post by sramakrishna »

Hello, this is Shyamala's mother Rajeswari Satish. Many thanks to all well wishers of Shyamala. Also, thanks to the parent of the very talented first runner up who has graciously acknowledged that judging was done fairly. I just wanted to provide the following information. Shyamala has been my student for 13 years and continues to do so. Yes, she has taken lessons from Sri Neyveli Santanagopalan, but in this competition, (as stated above by mathe-kamas and music_is_life), Sri NSG had refrianed from questioning her, and excused himself from the final marking. We have confirmation that the decision to select Shyamala was unanimous by the other two judges.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Congratulations to Shyamala!! Your(Rajeshwari) hard work plus divine grace has helped.
Wishing Shyamala many more successess in the Music Field.!!

Ramesh uncle/Nirmala auntie

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Congratulations Shyamala! Well done!!

Smt. Rajeshwari Satish, welcome to this fourm.

sramakrishna

Post by sramakrishna »

Thank you, and yes we completely owe it to divine grace and the grace of gurus. We hope that with that grace, she will continue to improve and learn. For, this is only the beginning of a journey.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to Shyamala and all the other winners! Talent, God's grace, and guru kaTAksham notwithstanding, it is these youngsters' amazing discipline and time-management skills that gets them where they are. Here's wishing them continued success in self-discipline and time-management - all else will surely follow!
Last edited by rshankar on 27 Sep 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

congratulations and best wishes to Shyamala.

suma

Post by suma »

While Shyamala is truly deserving and I wish her all the best, I would like to highlight the success of distant learning and the power of internet. While music_is_life's daughter learns from a local mama who also happens to be a performing musician, Hari Ravi (Son of iCarnatic founder and organizer) and Shilpa Sadagopan deserve a huge round of applause for becoming runners up. I dont know from whom Geetha Shankar (winner for junior) and pragathi guruprasad (runner up) learn from and if they also learn distantly, then this is a huge achievement.

It is one thing to live in chennai and learn from the best of the best in music and win awards, or have a parent or local mama as a teacher and win. It is extremely difficult to win with no guru or performing musician as a parent in town. While brahma's stroke is a must for these, it is the pure dedication and hard work of children like hari and shilpa that brought them to this lime light and i feel that they are the true winners and they are a testiment to distant learning.

I was at chicago when the prilim's where done. While i enjoyed a stress free day as my child was not a participant, i only have one concern. A telugu girl participated. Sowmya asked the girl if she knows tamil and the girl said no. After the girl finished singing, sowmya started communicating with the girl in tamil. If the judges and the organizers keep in mind that this is not just a tamil person's contest but all it would look more fair to the on looker. The girl in question made mistakes and I am not doubting the judgement, just the fact that communicating in a language that the participant does not follow should be avoided.

vasanthakokilam

I would be surprised if they did not have such rules on what language to question the contestant. In this case, my guess would be that it was an honest slip up by Sowmya.

mathe-kamas

Post by mathe-kamas »

Congratulations to Geeta Shankar. She learns from NSG as well. I have heard her in Cleveland, good singer. I believe Shilpa used to learn from NSG's student Kasthuri Shivakumar, she also learns from Ravikiran. Yes, distance music is something that has enabled the NA kids to avail of opportunities that were previously denied to them.

sramakrishna

Post by sramakrishna »

I did not add this information earlier (as I was responding to a relevant post only). Shyamala learned form me (Rajeswari Satish ) exclusively for the first 10 years or so. She has taken lessons from Sri P.S. Narayanaswamy during visits to Chennai. She has also learnt a few kritis from Smt. R. Vedavalli. Her distance learning does not happen on a very regular basis. In my opinion, proper training in the fundamentals, correct guidance, regular lessons and disciplined practice are ALL equally important. True success is not about winning one competition or the other, but about being able to keep up the music (alive and growing) as they grow up into adults.
Thank you.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

sramakrishna - You hit the nail on the head "proper training in the fundamentals, correct guidance, regular lessons and disciplined practice are ALL equally important". It is wrong to give credit to any one trainer who happened to be the latest one.

appu

Post by appu »

Mods,

In the General discussions page it shows that VK Raman made a post on this thread. It shows as the last post. VK Raman's post is missing. Why???

Please check. Of course when I post this I will be the last post and this will shop up on the General discussions page.

Appu

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

sramakrishna wrote:I did not add this information earlier (as I was responding to a relevant post only). Shyamala learned form me (Rajeswari Satish ) exclusively for the first 10 years or so. She has taken lessons from Sri P.S. Narayanaswamy during visits to Chennai. She has also learnt a few kritis from Smt. R. Vedavalli. Her distance learning does not happen on a very regular basis. In my opinion, proper training in the fundamentals, correct guidance, regular lessons and disciplined practice are ALL equally important. True success is not about winning one competition or the other, but about being able to keep up the music (alive and growing) as they grow up into adults.
Thank you.
Congratulations to Shyamala, she is very fortunate to have such illustrious gurus and a dedicated mother. The last sentence in your post is particularly commendable and a refreshing approach to carnatic music in today's world.

Does anybody know if jaya tv will be broadcasting this? If so we can perhaps expect it to show up on youtube.
It would also be nice if parents that were there can shed light on the nature of questions asked, was pallavi singing a part of the USA competition?

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Congratulations to all the winners.
I had seen the preliminary round in bay area. The kids are highly talented and so are gurus. Some gurus were there too clapping and enjoying their students.

On the fairness of the competetion, I would say it was fair. I dont believe people like Shahsi Kiran/Sowmya are biased. But can there be some improvements? Definitely yes.

First thing I observed is that the organizers should not mix any felicitations to gurus in the competetion. That can send wrong signals. The teachers felicitated truely deserve that but there has to be a different platform.

The judges did try to extract the best out of the kids, often exceeding the buzzer time. But they did this only to some participants. They even went to the extent of giving choice on which raga to sing or starting swara. They did it quite extensively even after the buzzer. Some participants they just let go on the buzzer. It was puzzling. It was almost why they are helping some and not some. Following a strict time limit would be good. Also too much knowledge of where the kid is learning from could be a factor in judgement. That should be avoided. Someone mentioned language too. It will be good to proceed in neutral language but may be difficult order to some judges, participants.

Too many participants will make it tough for judges. They are humans and get bored or lose interest and things like above may happen. Limit the number of participants with enough breaks for the judges. In cleveland, I have seen judges coming from India in night and then being driven to competetion to judge. Their jet lag will definitely get into their job. In between the judges will change. Once the judges change, then it is not on same plateau for all participants.

Finally costs. Organizers are at short hand for funds. So the entry fee itself is very high like $100 for CMI and then $10 per head including <12, <10, ,<5 year old kids. Add flight, hotel, car expenses. If you can't get enough time in the competetion to perform, it is frustrating experience. Some participants received feedback and some did not. It will be great if judges give their feedback in a note. We parents are not technical and dont know. At least we know how well the guru is teaching. The gurus here in NA are not shy at all about money. They must definitely earn and we should pay. But not in thousands. If you have multiple kids, teaching them CM is expensive and rich will definitely win between equally talented kids. I am just wondering whether it is easier for parant in India than parent in US. On the whole, the gurus must feel the responsibility of passing the torch and keeping it alive for talented kids. After all that is how they learned. Going to Chennai and learning is not possible for all. This is my general observation having spoken to multiple parents from multiple schools.

As someone said competetions are only intermediate milestones, both guru and shishya must work hard towards the ultimate goal of self enlightenement through CM and not self entertainment.

subhasree

Post by subhasree »

My heart felt thanks to the aradhana committee, headed by VVS sir, for pulling off an excellent event, given the short time frame.
The enthusiasm of the NA kids, more of the parents, that i witnessed during my various trips to NA in the past years, is what sparked me to propose this idea of CMI USA. it was neither cost effective for us, nor commercially viable. Still, we wanted to launch it because, we respected the views expressed by NA visitors that their kids cannot travel to India to participate in the Indian edition.
Our salutes to the parents who took so much efforts to bring their kids to the main foray, not minding the costs and time. Not that it is negligible, but considering the time they spent with eminent musicians like NSG, Sowmya and KNS, the little extra efforts they would have put forth for training for this competition, and the worldwide television exposure that they will be getting - IT IS REALLY WORTH IT.
I am highly indebted to the judges for sparing all their concerts during peak navarathri time in Chennai and sitting in NA over 25 days, just because they wanted to support the cause and spread the art awareness. "THANKS" is an only an understatement.
To me and my technical team, with kilos and kilos of equipments and luggage, running from Atlanta to Chicago overnight, New York to San Francisco (almost boarding the flight along with the pilot) and San Francisco to India the same night after finals - its probably one of our worst physical abuse in known times. It all vanished when people came and told us "thank you so much for coming this far for our kids" (though there were a couple who left without even a smile to us, in spite of winning...that's OK. don't you think I am used to it after fifteen years of reality show!!)
It is a normal behavior for people who did not watch it to comment "judges were biased" "organizers were cruel" "there was no drinking water" etc etc . I can only request you to watch the telecast before we judge the credibility of the winners and losers. If for some reason you still feel ALL COMPETITIONS ARE RIGGED AND MEANT TO BE FIXED, no comments!!
I thank every individual who was responsible for pulling off such a mammoth effort, an effort when proposed was wrote off as "i don't want to be a part of it..it is definitely going to be a big flop, a fiasco" or "we need more time" etc. by some established organizers in the NA, (now running behind us "can we take the organizing next year??"), from the bottom of my heart.
A big royal salute to JAYA TV, who has been continuously extending its arms to the classical art.
For all rasikas, in this forum or outside, i assure you that it is going to be an excellent new window opening for budding musicians.
Good day for good music!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wow, Subhasree!
Your post covers it all--the intent, efforts and results of such a mammoth undertaking.
The intent, inspired by what you saw here in the past years about the way CM is nourished here among our youngsters.
The effort you put into it (and Jaya TV supporting you), the hard work and dedication of the kids, parents and the organizations here.
And the results!
I had here and there seen your lively involvement in the past years by watching mArgazhi mahA utsavam. Watching the streaming of the Cleveland Festival this year for hours on end made me realize what a one-woman institution you are! Your zeal and energy is amazing.

We concern ourselves with the growth and well-being of CM and in nurturing it in our young ones. Music thrives on patronage. It's heartening to see modern day-patrons (though commercial) have spirited representatives like you to keep CM going. Thanks to the vidvAns and vidUshis for their cooperation. A special thanks to you and your crew for weathering punishing schedules and travel.

What I most appreciate is that youngsters are going to be involved in CM in the coming years, thanks to efforts like these.

For those who think this is all commercial and it takes us away from the manner in which CM was practiced, I can say, just look at the way we all have lost the simplicity of the lives of our forefathers! Yet, I can sit at home, read, watch and appreciate what the young ones are doing out there, in keeping CM alive. They are just as good as the kids of past generations--if not better! Hearing and watching them sing (play) the past few years makes me realize that.

As for a few complaining parents--I don't think they can keep themselves away from the scene either.

Shubasree,
Great going!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Shubasree
I fully agree with arasi
Your service to CM is immense fronting a huge organization snd bringing CM right into millions of homes. It provides the much needed exposure to generate an interest among youngsters irrespective of participation in such competitions. I am aware that even many small towns have started miniature CMI as local competions. It also helps the local CM teachers hone their skills based on what they view and incidentally increases enrollment in their classes.

Hats off to Jaya TV and your pioneering efforts...

sramakrishna

Post by sramakrishna »

Heartfelt thanks to Subhasree and crew for the great effort. I would have loved to stay back and congratulate you in person, but Shyamala and I had to literally rush to the door after the announcement of the results since we had just enough time to catch our flight (a red eye flight booked back to NJ the same night, rather expensive and unchangeable because it was done at very short notice). Couldn't even stay back for a few words with Sundaram mama, my daughter Shyamala's friends or other parents. But it was an unforgettable experience. Congrats to all winners, participants and organizers!
Rajeswari

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Just another perspective from a TV viewer not as a parent - My feeling is that these TV reality shows are going to increase the competition among parents ! People go to great extent to get one minute of face time on TV - e.g. the daily crowds outside NBC studio braving the NY cold on a December morning ! In the recent past, parents wanted their kids to perform in a concert platform soon. With the implosion of December Chennai music season to 50+ sabhas, many NRI parents travel to India for a few slots for their kids. My guess is that the race/competition to get their kids on TV reality show will also get more intense - more soccer moms and dads - perhaps not screaming from the sidelines !

bhavanisridharan

Post by bhavanisridharan »

Any idea if the regular uploads on YouTube by generous souls (IDs - vkailasam, kamakotisankara, etc.) will be done for the Carnatic Music idol telecasts that seem to hv begun today on Jaya TV?
Bhavani

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

The first of the series was broadcast yesterday morning 5 am to 5.30 am CST (some time during JAYA TV arul neram) - Atlanta. I like the way the judges talk and encourage the parents and kids. Three of the judges being tamil, they have a tendency to assume all the participants speak tamil. CM is not monopoly of tamilians

vasanthakokilam

VKR, I am with you that CM is definitely not a monopoly of Tamilians but in this case it is a Tamil TV channel. In this case, they have to have the freedom to speak in Tamil. But I see your point. When the contest was organized, it was not just for Tamil kids. It is a tough balance to strike. ( My pet peeve is usually the opposite, that in Tamil TV channels, the number of tamil words in a typical spoken tamil sentence is dropping ;) )

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Congratulations to Shyamala. The children who live in the U.S. and compete should be praised. The environment here is not like Chennai, where you hear CM all the time- on the TV, Radio and concerts. But these kids work hard and take the time to learn something alien here. They should be applauded for their dedication. They are going to spread CM here in America, along with the sponsors of Jaya TV, Sri V.V.Sundaram and others who make the time to help organize these competitions. Thanks to them our music will be heard everywhere.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

I am sorry to say this but the episode telecast today by Jaya TV looked more like nursery rhyme recitation contest than a Carnatic music idol contest. Why should such small children be forced to participate in a competition when they should concentrate on learning and enjoying music.

The same thing I saw in the recent episodes of Super singer junior contest in Vijay TV. The judges had to reject most of the contestants and they had a tough job telling young children that you are not selected. Parents should not push their dreams on the children and force them to do what they are not capable of.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Vasanthakokilam: Perhaps we should be discussing this in the "languages" site. It is my pet peeve too that "official" tamil used by politicians and the media is "contortionist" ! New words are being coined every day with advances being made in all fields of human endeavor, instead of using simple words already in use. Here are a few examples: madi gaNini for laptop computer, kai tholaipEsi for cell phones, pErundu for bus, kAsOlai for checks( checques), karuvoolam for treasury, to mention a few that come to my mind. These items were not in prevalence during sangam times (!) nor were they invented by Tamils. Where is the need to create/invent new hard words that are not used/understood by the common man ? Tamil , like all other languages, is richer by absorbing words from other languages. Even an illiterate villager uses only bus, computer, phone etc.

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

subhasree wrote:To me and my technical team, with kilos and kilos of equipments and luggage, running from Atlanta to Chicago overnight, New York to San Francisco (almost boarding the flight along with the pilot) and San Francisco to India the same night after finals - its probably one of our worst physical abuse in known times. It all vanished when people came and told us "thank you so much for coming this far for our kids" (though there were a couple who left without even a smile to us, in spite of winning...that's OK. don't you think I am used to it after fifteen years of reality show!!)
I thank every individual who was responsible for pulling off such a mammoth effort, an effort when proposed was wrote off as "i don't want to be a part of it..it is definitely going to be a big flop, a fiasco" or "we need more time" etc. by some established organizers in the NA, (now running behind us "can we take the organizing next year??"), from the bottom of my heart.
A big royal salute to JAYA TV, who has been continuously extending its arms to the classical art.
For all rasikas, in this forum or outside, i assure you that it is going to be an excellent new window opening for budding musicians.
Good day for good music!!
Awesome effort! That said, there is something in it for everyone :) So folks should be careful not to attach an air of selflessness to the effort.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Subhasree - Salutations to JAYA TV and the crew that accompanied for taking the time and commit an entire organization for popularization of CM. rajmunds observation may lack support from the parents who dreamed to have an occasion like this for parading their kids skills.

music_is_life

Post by music_is_life »

Here's a link to watch the episode which was telecast today from the Atlanta preliminary round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXvaUhUty-c

suma

Post by suma »

Totally disappointed with the quality.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

suma seems to represent the majority feeling as regards the quality of participants. Is that what Atlanta with so much south Indian population could parade with all the resources over there?

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Yes, I too was expecting a higher standard considering how members of this forum have claimed the NA competitions to be tougher than the Indian Carnatic Idol.

Perhaps the quality will improve once we head into later rounds?

vasanthakokilam

>Perhaps the quality will improve once we head into later rounds?

It should definitely. We already know the quality level of the winner. Hope others gave her a good and spirited fight for the title.

music_is_life

Post by music_is_life »

Please watch next week's episode from Chicago preliminaries- Three children from here will go on to make it to the final 7 for the Title!

devagandhari

Post by devagandhari »

To those who were disappointed with the quality of the competition so far:
Unfortunately, Jaya TV's setup of the episodes made it so that the better auditions will only be shown later (Chicago, California and New Jersey). The competition did indeed improve dramatically- I was there at the finals, and I too am disappointed with the Atlanta auditions.

music_is_life

Post by music_is_life »

Here's a nice article by Ms Kalpana Mohan about CMI USA 2011 in The Hindu today:
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/a ... 621376.ece