Raga Duruvanki

Rāga related discussions
satyabalu

Raga Duruvanki

Post by satyabalu »

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/down.shtml vide Album ID:01-C2123.Can someone explain?

keerthi

Re: DHURUVANKI

Post by keerthi »

dUrvAnki is a janya of Shankarabharanam - srmpds/ snpdpmgrs. JAyachamaraja wodeyar is the only known composer to have a song in this rAga.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

S R2 M1 P D2 s / s N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S has three isotopes...by far the most stable is Arabhi, the most radioactive is Devagandhari. Durvanki is an artificial form created only in a modern laboratory :)

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

That is the tyranny of democracies - once you declare a table where all unique arohana number and avarohana mass number owners as legitimate members; the entries with divine,ancient, darwinian and manmade pedigrees are all jostling for space. carbon-kAmbOdhi and unununium-umAbharaNam.

And call it Kurchatovium-dEvakriya or Rutherfordium-suddha sAvEri; it will smell as scalar!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

keerthi, Aha! As Semmangudi maama might have said "bale da, bale da".

Some of it so appropriate too. Kambodhi is as basic to the life of CM as carbon is to life itself. Again carbon lies in group 14, period 2, and if you multiply the two you get 28, the mela position of Harikambodhi...

vasanthakokilam

Re: Raga Duruvanki

Post by vasanthakokilam »

All this radioactivity fried my brain, I suppose, and I am confused ;) is dUrvAnki an artificial recent raga as Uday suggested or it is ancient which has been jostled out by the periodic table makers?

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

I am sorry vk, in a vain attempt to be overly cute I might have mischaracterized the rAga durvanki. I don't know about its antiquity, I am sure keerti can write a thesis on it as on all other CM topics (and it appears, chemistry, etc...), but it certainly has a bonafide identity and a "right to exist" in my reckoning ! The raga has a distinctive dhaivata and emphasizes MPD sequence in the arOhana in a way that none of the "related" ragas (strictly in terms of scale) do (Suddhasaveri, arabhi, etc..). In that sense it is vaguely reminiscent of kunthalavarali for that brief window.

There is only one song, Gam Ganapathe by Jayachamarajendra Wodeyaar which R K Srikanatan is the only one known to sing. Even if JW "created" it, it is a good creation and now has a life of its own, waiting to be explored.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

satyabalu wrote:http://www.sangeethapriya.org/down.shtml vide Album ID:01-C2123.Can someone explain?
Well!This is from pantula Rama &I think she has handled it well.