An experiment involving Grahabheda

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
ramakriya

An experiment involving Grahabheda

Post by ramakriya »

Grahabheda is a topic that's discussed quite frequently on the forum here - Therefore, I think it is quite relevant to share my recent experiment here.

This is a swarajati set in rAga kOkilArava (very similar to Kokilapriya - but I called it Kokilarava because my experiment is heavily influenced by Muttuswamy Dikshita's composition in kOkilArava,kOdanDarAmam anisham).

I tried to set the final charaNa of the composition to have a strong emphasis on Madhyama , such that you can do a graha bheda to rishabhapriya/ratipriya.

Here is the notation for the composition:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hkt ... t?hl=en_US

Rasikas' feedback would be extremely helpful!

cmlover

Re: An experiment involving Grahabheda

Post by cmlover »

Interesting!
Could you post an audio for our benefit?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover,

Here is an audio (not in the best form, but hopefully, serves the purpose):

http://soundcloud.com/hamsanandi/a-new- ... th-a-twist

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks
Neat idea. Of course kokilapriya transforms to rishabhapriya with grahabhedam on madhyamam.
My first listening clearly showed the essence of kokilapriya/kokilaravam (though I have not heard much in that raga). But then I could not sense ratipriya when you do the grahabhedam.
I will listen carefully and come back to you.
Are there gamakam on any notes before or after the transition?

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

I couldn't access the audio on soundcloud for some reason...

These 2 melas are fascinating. I have heard Prof.SRJ remark that of the 32 non-vivadi melas only #11 and #62 do not have a samvadi pair (other than S-P and S-M). I found the symmetry quite appealing. The 11th mela (KPriya) and the 11th mela from the last (RPriya) both have no samvadi pairs!

And now your additional "proof" comes in the form of grahabheda... that is quite neat!

incidentally, Rishabhapriya without the Pa gives us the raga Gopriya, which has a unique feature. It yields itself no matter which swara you perform grahabheda on.