Ustad's encounter with Lord Krishna

Classical Music of North India
Music

Post by Music »

A friend of mine shared with me the following narration based on an interview with Ustad Bismillah Khan in the Malayala Manorama daily. I don't have access to this newspaper myself, but here is what I got. Anybody heard this before? Quite touching...

"( This narration is based on an interview of Ustad Bismillah Khan , reported by Dr.Madhu Vasudevan of Malayala Manorama daily ) .
Ustad Bismillah Khan , the Shahnai maestro , (who died last week ) , had a personal encounter with Sri .Krishna . In spite of being a Muslim, the legendary Ustad have had great respect for Sri.Krishna ; and that could have prompted the merciful Lord to appear in person .
A few years back, Ustad Bismillah Khan was traveling by train from Jamdshedpur to Varanasy . It was a coal run passenger train and Ustad was traveling in the third class compartment . From an intermediate rural railway station , a young cowherd boy boarded the bogey in which Ustad was sitting . He was a dark and lean boy ; and he was holding a flute in his hands . Slowly the boy started playing his flute . The supreme quality of his music surprised the maestro Ustad who didn't even know the `Raga' the boy was playing . Ustad Bismillah Khan immediately recognized that , the boy is none other than Sri Krishna , the Supreme God Himself . The nectarin Nada-Brahman ( Brahman in the form of music) flowing out of Krishna's flute filled Ustad's heart with ecstasy ; and tears of joy started poring out of his eyes .
After the stunning performance , Ustad called the boy near and presented him with a coin requesting him to play the song again . Krishna obliged . This repeated again an again until Bismiillah Khan's wallet became empty . Young Krishna got down at the next railway station and disappeared .
In fact , Ustad was en route to participate in a music concert related to Kumbha mela ( a Hindu religious gathering of millions of devotees ) . In that concert , Ustad presented the newl `Raga' ( which he learned that day from Krishna ) . This melodious `raga' was greatly appreciated by the audience who begged Ustad to sing it many times . The music scholars around couldn't make out the name of the `Raga' and they asked about it to Bismillah Khan . Ustad replied that the name of the Raga is `Kanhaira' .
Next day's news papers contained headlines about the melodious new `Raga' invented by Ustad Bismillah Khan . Having read it , Hariprasas Chaurasya, the legendary Musician (Flutist) , asked about `Kanhaira Raga's' details to Bismillah Khan . Ustad revealed the truth and sang `Kanhaira' ; and Hariprakash Chaurasya , the topmost Flutist in the word , burst into tears of joy .
`Kanharira' is a divine gem in Indian music , as it originated from the lotus lips of Sri.Krishna , the God of Gods !!!."

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Very touching. Blessed soul was he to have this experience.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Isn't darbAri kANadA also known as kAnhara or kAnhaira?