M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
mohan

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by mohan »

rajeshnat wrote:Mrs M.S. Subbulakshmi SadAsivam and Chinnani ( Mrs Narayani Mahadevan)
also see http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/09/17/stor ... 430601.htm

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Forumites: The lady with MSS is my mother Chinnani(Mrs. Narayani Mahadevan)--they were "thick" friends for over 60 years My Mother still broods over her friends loss--my Mother is 93 and can recall with remarkable clarity(although she may not be able to recite the names of her 15 Great Grandchildren!!!) every aspect of her association with MSS.--an anecdote:
The Sadasivams used to visit my parents (living with my brother in R.APuram Chennai) in the eighties/nineties quite frequently. In 1992,when I was visiting India from the US,on one day Sadasivam Mama asked "Kunjamma -you may recall we met Chinnani/Mahadevan in Calcutta in 1942(for the Savithri film shooting) and this will be your 50th year of association with your "Friend"--should we not celebrate the event?--Immediately we all sprung into action and at short notice arranged for an intimate get together(with Radha and Vijaya with their spouses besides Athma--we had ordered a cake with the inscription'Celebrating 50 years of friendship with both the names Kunjamma and Chinnani--I will post this pic if I can get some tech assistance from my folks to scan and put it!!). But the bakery Guy mistakenly put 60 instead of fifty and Mama remarked to my Mother and Mami--so you both better live another 10 years--Mama died 5 years later and Mami died 12 years later so that Mama's prophesy was fulfilled!!!
(Note: MS Amma died four months after the Hindu story appeared).

Hoping to resume the narrative--having been in hybernation for over a year and left "hanging"--the post-1977 period noted for many poignant moments and intimate associations between our two families.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nice narrative MKR Sir! I have always wondered as to why MS did not have many sishyas. Can you shed some light on that aspect?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Nadhasuda: Please check out an earlier post in this thread--when I was actively posting-- there is one post by CACM(VKV) which explains-to sum up MS Amma was always learning herself-both CM and HM Bhajans plus the "second" life she had namely as a celebrity receiving visitors and dignitaries made it impossible for her to schedule time for regular teaching--but has taught many people 'on the fly" whenever people visited her or when she visited others-in Chennai or outside. My sister and daughter have been beneficiaries of a few songs --so have been Anuradha(KVN's daughter),Charu Ramachandran(Tricur Ramachandran's wife).

Among today's leading female vocalists I can sense Bombay Jayashree trying to emulate her in her singing techniques--so there is a lot of Electronic Ekalavyam going on today amongst female vocalists!! Imitation is the best form of Flattery!

It was never a case of not wanting to teach lest her popularity should be diminished

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Thanks for the information MKR Sir. It is true that a lot of people are trying to emulate her but are not coming anywhere close to her. Her greatness lies in the fact that she makes the rendition appear easy (only someone who has attempted to try singing like that will know how difficult it is to even reproduce a fraction of what she sings) - in addition to the soulfullness. Sadly today's musicians are hitting all the right notes technically but the soul is missing.

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

MKR sir, I keep checking this thread to see if you have posted any updates! Please do continue to share these precious tidbits about MS Amma and all the wonderful people who influenced her life. I listen to her music everyday and i am more convinced every day that she is no ordinary mortal but an angel that we were blessed with to help us along the path of bhakthi.

Ramasubramanian M.K

MaamiAt heart: My apologies!! I have to write about the Post 1977 period till her death in 2004-I am trying to "coax" my wife to join the narrative--she is a much better chronicler and insightful than myself--perhaps one of these days I will literally record her narration and reproduce it for Rasikas-- in my opinion the above period when MS Amma had pretty much reduced her Concert commitments was the best in bringing to the fore the BEST of both Mami and Mama(TS)--whom I revere today as much as my parents. The only reason her Music appeals to so many people who have never met her in person is that indefinable characteristic of soulfulness--SHE WAS EVERY THING AND EVEN MORE WHAT SHE HAS BEEN DEPICTED TO BE-as I look back on the casual enquiries about intimate details of my family right down to my grandchildern that Mami used to ask I am struck by the genuineness and sincerity--our family was no match for her and yet she maintained that love and affection towards my mother(her best friend for over 60 years) and all of us. hers is a story that needs to be told and retold for posterity--I for one will never get tired of reminiscing about an association of over 60 years.
When she was 78 she sang @ my son's wedding and again the next year she sang @ my daughter's wedding and 9 months later in Nov 1997 Mama died.The next 7 years till she died,our family was privileged to associate with the Great Lady--memorable moments!!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Radha Sadasivam (as Radha) and ? in this dream sequence from Chandraprabha Movietone's 1947 Hindi production of the Tamil film Meera, starring M.S.Subbulakshmi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxttTgy_EXo

Some Sequence of the film Meera can be viewed at

http://cinemacorridor.blogspot.in/2009/ ... -1947.html

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear M.K.S.,
I suggest you take a lead & start a SEPARATE THREAD ON "REMEMBERING M.S.S" in which YOU take the LEAD & others can also write about their experiences with this great soul. VKV

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu - can you tell us something more about this documentary?

cienu

Post by cienu »

I have no clue Ravi. Just happened to see this amazing video of the 3 great artists on youtube. (though just a glimpse)
The piece from 1.48 to 1.54 brought back nostalgic memories. The daily pooja was part and parcel of her life whether at home or travel.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu, the part which made me ask you that question was the fact that it appears that your grandfather was interviewed for the documentary, and the family may have noted it. By the way, for me, it was the first time I was able to hear him speak - obviously, we've heard of him, but not from him! So, that was an amazing thing for me....
And another point was that the thought that first went through my head when I initially understood the premise of the presentation was that it would deal with Smts. MSS, DKP, and MLV.... :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

rshankar There is a video of a function arranged by one of MSS[s admirers from kerala named Baby in which Mama has made a humorous speech.
Perhaps Cienu can help track it down for forumites.

Mama was not only a delightful conversationalist but also a wonderful speaker laden with humor appropriate to the occasion.

Even when he scolds you it will be stinging but not offend your dignity. For a man who was always depicted as given to mercurial tempers,I have never heard him say an expletive common amongst people of his age at that time.While I have been at the receiving end at times for some instructions executed poorly and I deserved them what I felt unfair was when he would launch into a tirade into Mami for some alleged linfraction not in the singing but failure to respond to his signals to change the order of songs midway thro a concert despite his cues which even radha may have missed!!! But there was no BIGGER Fan of Mami than Mama. I have been privileged to be privy to his glowing praise sitting next to him in a marriage concert in Chennai about how divine and soulful she sings I am sure at home in his private moments he would have conveyed the same sentiment.

Sorry for the digression!!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:rshankar There is a video of a function arranged by one of MSS[s admirers from kerala named Baby in which Mama has made a humorous speech.
Perhaps Cienu can help track it down for forumites.
Mama was not only a delightful conversationalist but also a wonderful speaker laden with humor appropriate to the occasion.
This is the clip which Sri MKR refers to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pmYjzOiFU

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MKR, thank you for the pointer and Cienu - thank you for the link...it was wonderful!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Is it not amazing that Mama was 95 years old when this function was held. He died four months later. Only a razor-sharp mind yoked to a brilliant tongue could produce such humor-laden eloquence. Even in private conversations the delivery would be crisp--no pauses,no back-tracking. In giving instructions to a person to accomplish a task, the task would be outlined without hms and aahs and at the end of the instructions a simple test to determine how well the person has understood the task and how attentive the person has been to the narration of the job!! If you botch the assignment,be prepared for a lecture on listening skills!!! When you report back to give an update or progress or the lack thereof,he would quickly understand that the person is hemming and hawing at which point the meeting would be terminated with Sari Sari(the tone alone will indicate the disappointment that a simple task could not be accomplished. The incident would be etched in his memory when years later if you again get chosen for the assignment a brief reminder as to how the earlier assignment was botched(!!) would be made and a second chance would be given to redeem one's reputation.

cienu

Re: Unveiling the Bronze Bust of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulaksh

Post by cienu »

On June 29th His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka - Shri H.R.Bhardwaj will unveil the Bronze Busts of Bharat Ratnas M.S.Subbulakshmi and Bismillah Khan at the Tumkur University. Program Details are as below :
Last edited by cienu on 25 Jun 2012, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Congrats!
Hope somebody will report on that event..(wih pictures)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

How wonderful!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, how wonderful indeed! My best wishes for the event and the continued sustained functioning of the M.S. Subbulakshmi department of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery.

Cienu, I take it that the gallery hosts some amazing pictures and portraits of the legend and your family. Could you perhaps share with us how they put this gallery together?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Good news about the MSS Statue.

It seems Tumkur University has a particular interest in classical music. They have recently teamed up with the Music Academy to make the Academy a research centre that can award doctorates.

Any more information about this university? I can't say i have heard of it before!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Wonderful development. Cienu, keep us posted on how the event went.

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

Here is a snippet from today's Chennai daily: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 583860.ece

Nothing more than what Mr. Cienu said in his post.

Good to know that my hometown has a gallery now :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Sreebeecane for the post # 624. :)
Please also find below a link in today's "The Hindu" in which we can find further details of the function, including a picture of His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka unveiling the statue of MS at Tumkur University with "Vaishnava Janato" being played in the background.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/kar ... 585599.ece
I must add that the function was extremely well organised with short speeches by all and we were overwhelmed by the hospitality extended by all the faculty members of Tumkur University lead by their redoubtable Vice Chancellor.
Kindly find below a few other images which were taken during the program
Amma and other family members after we arrived at the Tumkur University
My sister Lakshmi pays homage to her Grandmother
A brief life history of MS displayed on a plaque just beside the Statue.
A picture of our family beside the bust of Ustad Bismillah Khan after paying homage.
His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka and Chancellor of Tumkur University Dr H.R.Bhardwaj cracks a joke with my younger daughter Saundarya. At extreme right is the Vice Chancellor of Tumkur University Dr S.C.Sharma
His Excellency honors Amma with a Citation from Tumkur University. Also seen in the picture are His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Siddalinga Swamiji, Junior Seer of the Siddaganga Mutt, Smt Prafulata Bhardwaj , Sri Shivanna, MLA - Tumkur, the Vice Chancellor Dr S.C.Sharma and my daughters Aishwarya and Saundarya.
A view of a section of the audience at the Dr.M.S.Subbulakshmi Art Gallery where the function was held

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu, thank you as always for the vibrant pictures. They are beautiful. Aishwarya looks almost as tall as you are!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Many thanks Cienu Avl for the wonderful snaps.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran 30 06 2012

Ramasubramanian M.K

Cienu: Nice pics!! Aishwarya looks great--so does your Mom-TUMKUR UNIVERSITY honored itself with honoring MS Amma.

As an avid lover of history and folklore I have always felt that lives of great Men and Women sometimes get added "sheen" as time passes(despite occasional attempts at revisionist history--aka TJS George's book!) and a certain amount of hyberbole creeps in whereby the virtues are expanded upon and their foibles minimised--so much so that one starts to wonder whether such an "ideal" human being could have existed at all given the foibles of human nature. The ONE person about whom such a revisionist history cannot be attempted--from my personal observation and close association(with adequate doses of scepticism thrown in for good measure )--is MS Amma. No encomium showered on her would be adequate. At 24 she showed remarkable grit and tenacity--without the benefit of a formal education or worldly contacts to acquire "street-smartness"-- to get married to Mama who was such a towering and overwhelming personality and yet over the years as honors and accolades got showered on her -- her faith in Mama's judgement only increased several-fold --much to the surprise of some of us close to her and much to the chagrin of people who resented Mama's dominance and tried to 'short-circuit" the process of getting "access" to her to serve their own interests and needs camouflaged as being in the best interests of Mami. On those rare occasions when some of these so-called well-wishers tried to plant some ideas in Mami's mind about the wisdom of what they felt to be Mama's unilateral decisions w/o considering Mami' s opinions on issues (that mattered to her--a la Kooni/Mandara in the Ramayana) ,Mami would be ambivalent and wonder aloud to those around her(my mother has been privy to such exchanges) whether there was any merit in these well-wishers' suggestions and mildly lament about Mama's inflexibility and sense of fairness.My Mother(as much known for her forthright manner and forcefulness- as her friend's demure nature!!-she--my mother has never seen that shades of Grey do exist in life --only black or white!!) would dismiss that thought or ambivalence by a remark "Mama must know best,he must be right"-Not finding any solace from her best friend, Mami would continue to lament at which point --Radha a hitherto silent spectator to the exchange and in the midst of her own routine of running and giving errands at the Kalki gardens--would chirp in with a snide remark"You are complaining so much about Appa-Why did you marry him in the first place-after all he has not changed in all these years!! Although this was meant to be a gentle "ribbing" Mami would take it seriously and recoil at the very thought she may be undermining Mama's judgement and immediately would start an atonement exercise for even entertaining such doubts much to the delight and laughter of people around marvelling at the innocence of Mami.
No gesture or deference of Mami was an "act" or a pretense and no thought was ever malicious despite being subject to criticisms by others!! She truly epitomised Shakespeare's dictum "Give every man thy ear but few thy voice: take each man's censure but reserve thy judgement"

A Great Soul--God certainly broke the mould after creating her having achieved perfection in His craft!!!

venkatakailasam

I am not sure whether this clip is available here...

M S Subbulakshmi -Duet with Dilip Kumar Roy Vande Maataram - Ragamalika
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJg7-lYwSI

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kAlamAm vanattil aNDa kolamAmarattin mIdu kALi Sakti enDra peyar konDu rIMkAram iTTulavum oru vanDu - a composition of Sri Subramania Bharati, presented in the CD of Bharati's works in aid of Sankar Netralaya, IIRC

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

...presented in the CD of Bharati's works in aid of Sankar Netralaya, IIRC
And a brilliant record it is! I love the kaRpaga vinAyaka kaDavuLE pOTRi that she opens with. I remember listening to it in LP form years ago.

venkatakailasam

cienu

Post by cienu »

Today Sep 16th 2012 is the 96th birth anniversary of the "Queen of Song". Please find below a picture in her memory.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I wa just thinking about M.S. amma's birthday and what do I see? A beautiful picture! One to cherish.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Cienu, lovely picture. Remembering the great Smt MSS on her birthday Sept 16. I have been listening to an old recording of "kandadundo kannan pOl" all morning.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Yes,Cienu--Your Patti would have been 96 years old and to all of us who had known hr for over 6 decades,an indelible memory-I recall even after Thatha's demise, my mother would make it a ritual to visit Patti @ Kotturpuram to wish her Happy Birthday--after several minutes of phone conversation even before the casual visit--As Patti was three years older than my mother(both are September babies),my mother would do Namaskarm to her and Patti would demure at that gesture--My mother is fond of telling this story when Thatha was alive. Once when my mother had gone to wish her happy Birthday(when Thatha was alive--in the Mid Nineties),Thatha asked my mother "Chinnani(that is my mother's pet name),Unakkum Kunjammakkum Evvalvau Vayasu Vidyasam" after noting that my mother was a couple of years younger(my Mom turned 93 last week),he turns to Patti and asks her "Appo Nee E
dukku Chinnaniyai Mami enru Kuppidarai!! and then follows up with an old wives' tale of how when a older person addresess an younger person as neengal,the life of the younger one will be reduced and you certainly do not wish your dear friend to die before you""--Mami till her death called my mother only Chinnani Mami--Notions of seniority,prestige,ego were totally alien to Patti--a genuinely simple but a towering colossus of a human being---Na Bhooth Na Bhavishyath-God certainly broke the mould after He created MS Amma.

May her soul rest in peace--so many family anecdotes--failing memories--will get to them later!!!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

What a nice picture! Thanks for sharing!
Incidentally, started my sunday listening to rangapura vihAra first thing in the morning!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu - as always, thank you for sharing that wonderful picture!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Cienu Avl,
Many thanx for sharing this wonderful picture on ' Her Majesty's ' birthday.

Thanjavooran 17 09 2012

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:--a genuinely simple but a towering colossus of a human being---Na Bhooth Na Bhavishyath-God certainly broke the mould after He created MS Amma.

May her soul rest in peace--so many family anecdotes--failing memories--will get to them later!!!
MKR Sir - Thanks for sharing these tidbits with us. We know her as the Queen of Song. Through your anecdotes, we are learning about what a great human being she was as well! Future generations might find it hard to believe that such a person existed. Please keep your thoughts coming.

venkatakailasam

Every one knows that Smt., MSs rendered this composition of Mahaperiva at UN...

Maithreem Bhajatha ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg6S1DoQA6A

What we are not aware isthat "for some people, the song "Maithreem Bhajatha", fueled their hatred towards Mahaperiava and the hatred burnt with fury.
I didn't know, initially ,that such people existed, and that the song drew such a hateful response from them."
The gist of the letter received by Maha Periva on this song "" There was no need for Mahaperiava to make a place for Himself in the international organization, by showing Himself as a world Preacher through a musician" ------

This is the central point of that letter.

Shri RA Ganapathi narrates this in his book 'Maithreem Bhajatha'

Read it at...

Read more: http://periva.proboards.com/index.cgi?a ... z26jfwIGnV
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 19 Sep 2012, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

E SWARA MSS-155-Smt.,MS Subhulakshmi- Tributes from associates...( This consolidates all tributes who had supported her in her concerts..

including that of Smt., Aruna Sairam and Smt., Nityasri Mahadevan..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0WeRMxGoxk

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sri E-Swara,
Thanks a lot for another painstaking compilation of videos! It is a blessing to hear all talk about MSS.

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article on Smt Radha Viswanathan which appeared in today's Friday review section of "The Hindu" Bangalore Edition (21/9/2012)
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 920083.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very nice!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Very nice article. Cienu, thanks for sharing!

I did not know that your mother was born in Gobichettipalayam. It is the native village of my ancestors (on my father's side). Gobilalitha (Balu mama) is also from there, but he happens to be related to me! Is your thatha (Sri Sadasivam avl) from Gobi?

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Ravi and Ramesh for your kind comments :)
Ramesh. Nice to know that one portion of our ancestry hails from the same village ! Who knows , we may be distantly related too ;) (A little probing in Geni - a genealogy and social networking website could reveal that ! )
I thought that Balu Mama uses the handle "Gobilalitha" as his wife Smt Lalitha is from Gobichettyapalayam.
My Grandfather was born in Manakkal.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I spent a few summers in Gobichettipalayam 'shadowing' my cousin who was the internist at the hospital there - a truly magical place for a 'townie' like me.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Tumkur University confers on Amma - Honoris Causa (D.Litt)
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 065897.ece