Mandolin Shrinivas

Carnatic Musicians
greatkrishna

Post by greatkrishna »

For a long time now Shrinivas has been giving concerts which are substandard when compared to his performances from 10-12 years back. This downturn i believe is due to his forays into fusion and collaboration with international artists of the like of John Mclaughlin and Zakir Hussain. For those who have ever seen or heard a Remember Shakti concert, you will know that the music is essentially 'cut and paste' with the individual artistes trying to out do each other to see who has the largest bag of tricks. Unfortunately, this does not go over well with the average rasika.

Everytime I bring myself to attend a Shrinivas concert, I think "maybe today will be better"
and i inevitably get dissapointed. I'm interested to know the views of other rasikas on the impact fusion music is carrying over into "traditional" CM

KarnatikLover

Post by KarnatikLover »

Sadly I agree with you... Fusion seems to have taken out the Sowkhyam element completely out of his music. I have been listening to his music ever since my childhood and the changes are obvious...
Last music season I had to walk out of one of his concerts in the middle as the noise was unbearable, believe me I was extremely sad walking out before the end of the concert...
If only he would listen to himself playing Vathapi(early 80's cassette), who can go without being mesmerized by his Kalpanaswarams for it?
Or DevadiDeva with Tanjore Updendran Sir on the Mridangam...
Or one of his cassettes with Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram Sir on the Thavil?
I have preserved all those Gems and listen to them often!

giridharan

Post by giridharan »

Many a Vidwans who have established very high standards, have often tend to seek out fusion music which is defintely giving a negative impact on the performance.

Even Vidwans who have taken up film music as well as CM are the most affected.

If we take the case of shri Jesudas & unnikrishnan, the impact can be seen quite often making them highly irrelevant for CM.

Carnatic Music is a purely a divine culture and who have set very high standards in the past liks SSI,KVN, thier music never faded, just because their Music has a rich content of Divine quality.

Now a days, CM is getting embraced with the fast food culture leaving behind the quality content and sense of happiness which lives for that moment.

Money matters most now a days!We, the ardent rasikas are helpless in this regard

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

If we take the case of shri Jesudas & unnikrishnan, the impact can be seen quite often making them highly irrelevant for CM.
And such people declare "Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition".

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

An incident as narrated by narrated ex DD director shri natarajan is quite interesting. as a child prodigy srinivas gave a performance in salem. Rasikas enjoyed the concert well and wanted him to play raga manirangu. He blinked for a while. sikkil bhaskaran who was accompanying him on violin immdly came to his rescue and just hinted him by playing arahonam and avarohanam . srinivas catching the raga and played manirangu for one hour and enthralled rasikas. valaignanaman shunmuka sundaram [ father in law of upendran ] played thavil ..

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

vgvindan wrote:
And such people declare "Today's innovation is tomorrow's tradition".
The list is now increasing with semi-classical artists dominating the scene. :rolleyes:

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

That's a very strong statement.

We have disucssed this again and again in various threads but no harm in repeating

You can't dismiss the role of so called light music musicians. Be it Jesudoss or Unni Krishnan or Kunakuddi, these are the artists who draw new rasikas in the CM fold. That is a very important part , if you want to broad base CM and want more & more rasikas.

A person bought up in a highly muscial surrounding may feel that their music is light but that's what a fresher requires to take his first hesitant step in the CM ocean.

A professor may look down upon a middle school teacher , but he is the person who keeps the profesor in job by shaping and bringing up the students.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

it is not srinivas' mistake. for a prodigy the music graph moves downward as years pass by; this is because in the journey they quickly pass through the mile stones and get too bored to do repetitive things. this has happened in TRM's case too. srinivas like the rest of his clan is an unparelled genius in his own way.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

The point where the artist's role gets diluted is when he or she does not draw a line of either distinction or end. We know for sure that DKP, GNB, MSS, MLV and others too had their stint in film music. But all of them did not give up the purity of classical music in further improvising and innovating. It is in this direction that KJY and Unnikrishnan must move on.

greatkrishna

Post by greatkrishna »

chalanata, I can understand what you are saying but in saying this, you are essentially saying Shrinivas has lost his appetite for performing, learning and appreciating CM. It is obvious in Shrinivas's case that the bubble had burst a long time ago and now his performances are lack lustre and definately reflect his lack of interest. Not only does this compromise his name and stature but also carnatic music itself. More so in his case because he is a pioneer and a torch bearer for the Mandolin as a carnatic instrument. It would be a tragedy to see it dissapear into the dark and be remembered as a "fad" that came and went.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

I agree with what Chalnata says.. It is very surprising he rarely is seen in the music scene now-a-days with all his talent. However, my sincere hope is that he looks at new challenges. Especially since Mandolin can be used as an "instrument" to attract lot of people to carnatic music. For e.g. look at other people who also peaked very early in life. Ravikiran has charted out an avenue for himself through research and breathing new life into stuff like Oothukadu Venkatakavi's compostiions. Shashikiran is busy with new concepts like carnatica.net + Carnatic Idol in addition to teaching.

I heard that he is into Hindustani Music though.
Last edited by sramaswamy on 13 Dec 2007, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Nothing is heard about the mandolin mastero since few months. Is he in India or abroad?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

He just gave a performance in Singapore last week (main being RTP in Shanmugapriya; heard it was a generally gimmicky concert).

money

Post by money »

Srinivas is a divine gift to the world of cm.Alas he too has become ordinary.We can only hope that he regains his genius and regales us once again with his unique brand of music.
That he appears past his prime is a feeling I too share.He is too good for this phase to last long.
Hope we hear Srinivas in his true elements.

viswam

Post by viswam »

chalanata wrote:it is not srinivas' mistake. for a prodigy the music graph moves downward as years pass by; this is because in the journey they quickly pass through the mile stones and get too bored to do repetitive things. this has happened in TRM's case too. srinivas like the rest of his clan is an unparelled genius in his own way.
Sir, what a brilliant answer ..I wholly agree with you.

cacm

Post by cacm »

for a prodigy the music graph moves downward as years pass by; this is because in the journey they quickly pass through the mile stones and get too bored to do repetitive things. this has happened in TRM's case too. srinivas like the rest of his clan is an unparelled genius in his own way.--Quote from Chalanata
I strongly disagree with the comments about MALI. He kept reaching greater heights throughout his career, though consistency was not his hall mark. VKV

Purist

Post by Purist »

I attended a concert of Mandolin Shrinivas recently along with my son.
Somehow felt the soul was missing. It was just a display of virtousity and
ear jarring, with Praveen on Mridhangam contributing his mite.

In between my son asked me 'why is it not like the one in the cassette
at home? Is he the same? (refers to one of Shrinivas earliest cassette ). I had no answer,
only regrets.

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

The best period of his concerts were with the combination Srinivas-Kanyakumari-Srimushnam. Once this changed, I think slowly his concerts became less interesting,

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Certainly only heard mandolin srinivas in the last 3 years only once in mfac, the biggest problem is his volume in concerts is unbearably loud. I always observe when any musician starts to perform in fusion concerts and goes towards western band, he/she loses the sensitivity of pure carnatic .

On a general note , I think as rasikas we have a mindset in general . When any performer is a kid to teenager we are always seeing /hearing the genius in him/her even before he/she starts to perform . When that musician ages by growing a slight mustache / moves from pavAda chattai to sAri , all of a sudden our mindset in general constantly keeps telling that he/she is now a days not playing as much as what he/she used to play when he/she is young?

Of course this observation does not apply for all , as some of them indeed drop out on quality as they grow from a "prodigy" youth to an adult.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

chalanata wrote:it is not srinivas' mistake. for a prodigy the music graph moves downward as years pass by; this is because in the journey they quickly pass through the mile stones and get too bored to do repetitive things. this has happened in TRM's case too. srinivas like the rest of his clan is an unparelled genius in his own way.
What about TNK?

The problem could be media attention I think. I haven't heard of any such dip in Chitraveena Ravikiran's music. He was hyped less, perhaps because he plays the traditional gottu vadyam.
kaumaram wrote:The point where the artist's role gets diluted is when he or she does not draw a line of either distinction or end. We know for sure that DKP, GNB, MSS, MLV and others too had their stint in film music.
But GNB and MSS sang Carnatic music for movies too. (No lines there.) Songs like broohi mukundeti can easily be sung in concerts today as a thukkada! I think MLV also.

I think the problem is that film music standards are going down very dramatically in the past decade or so. That's not because it's going away from Carnatic music: that it did ages ago, and it was good for many years after doing that too. It's just that films themselves are becoming very stupid.

dwade

Post by dwade »

I have been listening to Srinivas' concerts too for the last 20 odd years, the problem is not with his music. The problem is with a bunch of close-minded jealous people who are averse to any experimentation!! "Purist" said "regrets"??? You, need some serious growing up!!!

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

I love listening to U.Srinivas.

flutekick

Post by flutekick »

All of those who say U.Shrinivas's playing these day are sub-standard/dilute , Can you please technically explain what you are saying?..Dont be so vague.!!..i have listened to his recordings from his childhood to present day concerts, only differences i see is the increase in innovation and not anything else. He has ofcourse modified his mandolin to make it more suitable for Carnatic classical(for gammakkas). One cant expect the artist to be playing the same thing which he/she was doing when they were young, else this would again be on the critics note.
I only ask you people to attend his concerts these days and then make a valid comment.

babaji

Post by babaji »

Recently listened to his concert in kalarasana.Earlier i once listened to his at music academy for the palghat raghu tribute function both bore the srinivas hallmark in it i personally never saw anything wrong or unpleasant in his music.

I am surprised when people speak like this because recently one of my friends said this same statement to me and i knew that the REAL FAD was that he became a substandard player not that he lost interest in carnatic music.
I suggest you yourselves go and attend and then finally use this forum to share your views so that counter arguments can be provided to clear all doubts.

I will also never believe that just because a musician ventured into film or fusion music he has lost lost interest in carnatic music as everything is carnatic music only and carnatic music is what triggered them to gel in fusion in the first place.Therefore when we comment on artists like unnikrishnan or jesudoss it would be better when we personally listen to their concerts that are going to happen and then arrive at judgment rather than follow the word by mouth.Last i heard jesudoss singing vatapi ganapathim alone for 45 mins.

coming back to mandolin srinivas only because he heard that film musician use mandolin in his life did he discover carnatic music can be played on the mandolin.so in his case it is the reverse that happened. Suggest you try starting to listen to him again.
Last edited by babaji on 27 Jan 2010, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

The only difference in my opinion is the number of percussion accompaniment when he started his career and now. The concerts that were accompanied by Palghat Raghu, Karaikudi Mani, Srimushnam and likes at the start of his career was just spectacular. But over the time, the inclusion of a number of percussion instruments like the thavil, mridangam, ghatam etc (all in one platform) made it very loud and noisy (cacophony!). It is not because of the sound of mandolin, but the overall noise pollution! I am not sure what it is now.
I am sure if the percussions are restructed, it will be just awesome.
In my opinion even in a vocal/violin or a veena concert, more than 2 instruments make a concert sound very loud. For best results it should be mridangam and ghatam or mridangam and morsing.
All certain done, he is one of the most talented and gifted artists that CM has seen to date.

cpblog

Re: Mandolin Shrinivas

Post by cpblog »

Mandolin Srinivas Video and 2011 K. Puttu Rao Concerts » 23 Aug 2011 21:15
(posted also under Music and Festivals)

Dear Rasikas,

This is to invite you all to the K. Puttu Rao Memorial 2011 Concert series between August 31, 2011 and Sept 4, 2011
to be held at the Jagan Mohan Palace, Mysore.

The concert series start with Mandolin U. Srinivas and will end with Vidwan T.V. Sankaranarayanan.

We are posting a two part text of "In Memorium" and we have the invitation and a Video of U. Srinivas at 16, playing in "Parvathi", Mysore.

As always, please welcome@ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thanking You!

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Was listening to some of his 1980's stuff again..... If I had to be lost in an island for the rest of my life, Srinivas's combo with Raghu mama is probably the only music I would hasten to bring.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

A couple of days ago, Mandolin Srinivas turned 43!
Somehow I just can't get past thinking of him as an eternal 12 year old boy that rocked the world of music back in the early 80s.

http://srutimag.blogspot.com/2012/02/ha ... ctive.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramesh, I couldn't agree more with you...sorta like mArkaNDEyan...

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Hi Cpblog

There is some thing wrong with the player. First there was inordinate delay in the start of the first song (varnam)..then there was another huge pause before the Siddhi vinayakam song...after that the player stopped. I played around with various buttons before it started again. But yet again it stopped playing. I gave up after that.

Would it be possible to look into this?

To the extent I heard, the music was great....he is a great artist indeed and exhibited that even at an early age..thanks for the postings.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Hi Sam,
We're sorry that you faced these hold-ups.
It is of course normal for the embedded flash player to take some time to cue up to the next track, especially if the present track is a long one. Otherwise in our repeated tests with various browsers, we have found no instance of a track freezing up. Connectivity quality at the listener's end could also sometimes pose some issues.
I will let CPBlog comment further.

cpblog

Mandolin U. Shrinivas – 2011 Puttu Rao Memorial Concert

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

We are privileged to bring you the full concert of Vidwan U. Shrinivas
from last years K. Puttu Rao Memorial concert at Mysore. Accompanying
him are Vidwans V.V. Srinivasa Rao ( Violin ), K.V. Prasad ( Mridangam )and
G.S.Ramanujam ( Ghatam ).

The posting displays a short YouTube showing opening formalities to the concert with
two ragas, a full audio of the concert and a narrative on the vibrancy of Carnatic Music.

We hope you enjoy the same and please welcome to
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thanking you,
CPBlog team

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Last saturday, 12th, I cleared my deck, did all my house chores (effectively gave no room for the mrs to grumble about any thing) and set my computer, adjusted the speakers and....lo and behold, I got to listen to a nice vioin concert with mandolin providing the accompaniment !!

Was it my computer or some thing wrong with the recording?

Any feed back from other mandolin rasikas?

Cheers

Sam

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Mr. Swaminathan,
Kindly listen to the concert again on CP blog and tell me if you find any problem. I am listening to the tracks on my headphones as I write this and find no problem...the Kharaharapriya is so beautiful...
Thanks
Sachi

Purist

Post by Purist »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:Last saturday, 12th, I cleared my deck, did all my house chores (effectively gave no room for the mrs to grumble about any thing) and set my computer, adjusted the speakers and....lo and behold, I got to listen to a nice vioin concert with mandolin providing the accompaniment !!

Was it my computer or some thing wrong with the recording?

Any feed back from other mandolin rasikas?

Cheers

Sam
Was it 'mrs' effect?

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Mandolin and U...

Mandolin artiste U. Rajesh talks to Chitra Swaminathan about having a prodigious musician for a brother and finding his own musical space...

read at... http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article3811999.ece

venkatakailasam

concert 262-Medolin Srinivas
Listen at:
http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/07 ... rt-ix.html
01-vanajAkSi_nine_kOri-VARNAM-kalyANi
02-mahA_gaNapatim_manasA_smarAmi-nATa
03-sAmaja_vara_gamanA-hindOLam
04-nAdOpAsanacE_shankaranArAyaNa-bEgaDA
05-rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-kAnaDA
06-Krishna_Nee_Begane-Yamunakalyani
07--nI_nAma_rUpamulaku_nitya-saurAshtram

cienu

Post by cienu »

Shocking news that the Great Genius passed away this morning due to complications post liver transplantation.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Deeply shocked. Terrible blow and loss for Carnatic Music,
May his soul rest in eternal peace.

venkatakailasam

A brief on Mandolin...

“ Famous mandolin player and musician Uppalapu Srinivas, popularly known as Mandolin Srinivas, died in Chennai on Friday in a private hospital due to illness. He was 45.

He was admitted to Apollo Hospital in Chennai some days back due to liver problem and breathed his last Friday morning around 9.30, hospital officials said.”

Born Feb 28, 1969, in Palakolu, Andhra Pradesh, Mr Srinivas as a mandolin player of Carnatic music discipline was a child prodigy.

As a six-year-old boy, Mr Srinivas would play his father Satyanarayana's mandolin. His brother U. Rajesh is also a noted mandolin player.

A world renowned musician, Mr Srinivas gave his first public performance in 1978 in Andhra Pradesh. Three years later he performed at the Madras Music Season for the Indian Fine Arts Society.
Soon he started trotting the globe. In 1983, Mr Srinivas performed at the JazzFest Berlin and later toured Canada, Australia and many other countries.

Shrinivas is survived by his parents, brother Mandolin U. Rajesh and sister.

Srinivas married Sree, an IAS officer's daughter on 19 November, 1994 but she has been living away with their son for the last 16 years.
On December 2012, The Supreme Court has approved renowned Mandolin player U Srinivas' divorce with his wife U Sree on the ground that he was treated cruelly by her…
“After hearing both the sides, the apex court came to the conclusion that Srinivas has proved his case of mental cruelty.
"It has been graphically demonstrated that she had not shown the slightest concern for the public image of her husband on many occasions by putting him in embarrassing situations, leading to humiliation. She has made wild allegations about conspiracy in her husband’s family to get him married again for dowry and there is no evidence on record to substantiate the same," the bench said.

Is it not true that Compatibility is lost when one is getting more famous than the other..

U. Shrinivas runs a music school called the Shrinivas Institute of World Music (SIOWM).

Some of the awards that Mandolin U. Srinivas has received:
Padma Shree on April 12, 1998 by The President of India
Sangeeta Ratna
Sanatan Sangeet Puraskar from Sangeet Sanskriti
Titled Asthana Vidwan of Govt. of Tamil Nadu in July 1984, Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam on October 1, 1990, Pillayarpatti Temple on 27 August 1995
Raja-Lakshmi Award for 1985 from Sri Raja-Lakshmi Foundation, Chennai
Mysore T. Chowdiah Memorial National Award
Sangeetha Bala Bhaskara by Sangeetha Kalanidhi M.S. Subbulakshmi
National Citizen's Award, 1991 by The President of India
Special TTK Award and Best Artist Award by the Madras Music Academy in 1983 and 1993 respectively
Rajiv Gandhi National Integration Award…

I came to know of his illness and admission to Hospital on 12/13-09-2014…but was told as lung infection.. My friend got the information from one of his disciples Vikassa Ramadas ….
But learnt later that he underwent Liver transplant…also from friends….

The reasons put forth are many…Let us not go in to them now..

On knowing this, I posted concert 262-Medolin Srinivas….above…

venkatakailasam

Mandolin U Srinivas-A Soothing Karaharapriya...

http://mfi.re/listen/3rcm2ybq9j3ddsv/Ma ... apriya.mp3

T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN

Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Post by T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN »

Today morning he passed away in a private hospital.

Link: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... 425892.ece

I have uploaded four video songs to YouTube and dedicate to his fond memory.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCehwxQ ... i_jvP4xaHA

May his soul rest in peace.

Regards,

TVG.
Last edited by T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN on 20 Sep 2014, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

kal

Re: Sri U.Shrinivas passed away 19-Sep-2014

Post by kal »

RIP Srinivas...

kal

Post by kal »

shocking news... I just cannot forget his extraordinary performances that I could attend during early 80s.
Great loss to Carnatic Music.
Many times rasikas simply used to say 'we are going to Mandolin kutcheri', there was no need to mention his name,
since he was so synonymous with the instrument.

rshankar

Re: Sri U.Shrinivas passed away 19-Sep-2014

Post by rshankar »

OMG! This is such horrible news. Heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and disciples. May his soul RIP!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Great loss indeed!

Heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and disciples! May his soul rest in peace!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

venkatakailasam, I am glad that you have put the record straight on the unhappiness in Shrinivas's life, and with something as solid as the words of the court. Now it need not be the subject of surmise, curiosity, etc, but is simple fact. Even though it is a sad thing to know.

I am even more amazed when artists manage to maintain creativity during stress.

Anaconda

Post by Anaconda »

This is shocking.... May his soul rest in peace. Heartfelt condolences to his family...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

" I am even more amazed when artists manage to maintain creativity during stress "

Shri Nick,
Yes ! Such Artistes keep all rasikas too stress free.

Thanjavooran
2o 09 2014