Arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

Re: arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

Post by rajeshnat »

The telecast just got completed now. I saw that fully. Arasi , an usually expressive personality having humility shell was in full flow . A bit tired she was after intense hopping of sabhas, nevertheless the tiredness gave the humility a extra lift.

Topics covered were her early days with renaisssance man V V sadagopan , how she wrote her first krithi on Lord vinayaka in sAveri after seeing some exhibition in NY city, getting first prize in writing a small article where she got thamizh books,her interest in general with literature and writings, Mahakavi bharathiyAr and Arasi taking the route thru that brilliant girl yAdugiri and talking about English translation of the book, concert hopping and longing to hear concert , mention about rasikas.org , the contemporary vaggeyakkara in line with mostly nature, mentions about few people who have taken her composition (smt neela ,suryaprakash and Sumitra Nitin). I did not get that song that she sang , arasi madam I wish you had taken a peppy number like inru varuvAnO or uNNai ninaindhu innisai pAdi.

Nivedita
Good show , repeating perhaps again , you have a knack of asking right questions with minimal words and giving space to the guest to answer is a point that has to be learnt by lot of those who interview . I dont know how feasible it is , in future try bringing few snippets of photo slides , it would have been lovely to see say Arasi in Madurai with Smt Ambujam Krishna , possibly some photo in London and a photograph of her with family and extended family in say NewYork.

Arasi,
What always fascinates is u have spent 45 +years outside India , but you have maintained your intense indianness , if I could drill a bit intense southindianness , no no if I could still drill "intense carnatic southindianness ", which is unfortunately a haley's comet with many women of this generation.

You have gone a long way as a vaggeyakkara , but it looks like musicians only have to catch up with you.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

The Interview is here:

An Interview with Arasi-(Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDgd9sxrOI

venkatakailasam

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Just watched the interview - great questions from Nivedita and great answers from arasi! I was also curious about several of the things Nivedita asked, like how arasi composes, how she got her name, and the tidbits about her youth and her interest in writing were all fascinating as well.

Now I'm off to read her BharatiyAr book translations that I'd missed last year amidst grad school applications.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Venkatakailasam Sir
Thank you for uploading arasi's interview. WIth that everyone has a chance to catch up.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many many many thanks vkailasam..
This is 'arasi' revealed - what a child-like innocent personality who speaks her heart out naturally!
In spite of her extraordinary musical and literary background she is so simple without a tinge of pride.
As she has stated, the kritis, kavithais and novels simply bubbled up inspirationally for her own delight as she never wanted to bring them out into public for years. Our Rasikas.org can legitimately claim providing the encouragement that has brought out this lamp hidden in a bushell (குடத்தில் இட்ட விளக்கு)
for the whole world to see and enjoy. I am happy there is many more yet to come and with the cooperation of the performing community we Rasikas will have the unique opportunity of honouring an Uttama Vaggeyakara during her lifetime.

Thanks Nivedita for the excellent interview!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Great job, Nivedita...you're on your way to becoming the Charlie Rose of the CM world! Congratulations!

Arasi - it was wonderful to hear all your experiences in one go, rather than collecting them in snippets as I've done over the past few years. It is indeed our pleasure and honor to have you as a fellow-member, and friend!

PS: I was amused to see that the onscreen credits still referred to Nivedita by her maiden name (Narayanan), while she was referred to by her married name (Subramaniam) in the online write-up!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Let me not forget to add that the 'inspiration' of arasi is the consequence of her family milieu - her loving son and daughter and affectionate grand children in UK and USA. Above all it is the unassuming man (Sri Krishnan) behind the woman who is to be complimented for the creative genius of this Lady. I fully agree with Rajesh that Nivedita should have added family clips - provided she had more time! Of course this is just the first of many interviews since arasi has now become a 'carnatic celebrity' from being just the Star of Rasikas Org. My humble request to her at this point is that she should publish a book of lyrics (of all the songs rendered so far in the CDs) - no notations are needed since the audio is available...

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Managed to catch it on youtube, thanks a bunch for the upload Venkatakailasam sir. Arasi - it was most interesting to hear that the kritis just "come" to you/ happen by themselves - when you are in the garden/ kitchen/at any other random moment. I am sure your musical background, the phenomenal amount of reading you have done since childhood including works of poets like Bharati, your own experience as a poet, writer and journalist all have created the perfect environment within you for this creative process. Thrilled to be a fellow rasika and friend of such a gifted composer.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKailasam,
Thanks again for your bullet-speed upload which came within an hour! A great help it was, for the friends at the forum and to my family which couldn't view it when it was aired.

Rajesh, my champion,
Thanks for the special brand of caring you have for me. And, It's a joy to imagine you in a loving father's role!

What can I say about all my other friends chez RasikAs? You get carried away (CML in particular) and lavish me with praises. No, I'm not modest--perhaps I know my worth ;)
Ravi, you are a good friend, Sridhar and others too--you are all kind to me...

Bilahari, thanks for going to the Bharathi threads. Makes me very happy, my young pal!

Speaking of Nivedita, she's something special. Plays the role of an interviewer perfectly.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Feb 2012, 23:06, edited 3 times in total.

venkatakailasam

"karmany evadhikaras te
ma phalesu kadachana
ma karma-phala-hetur bhur
ma te sango ’stv akarmani" (Bhagwat Gita: Chapter Two verse 47)

venkatakailasam

cienu

Post by cienu »

Could not see the live telecast. Thank you Venkatakailasam for the upload. :)
Arasi, It was so wonderful to hear you and your experiences :) When you said that the compositions just came to you all of a sudden, I could understand that, as I have seen Indira Devi bringing out (so to say) the compositions on Krishna in a trance like state in the Kalki Gardens in the mid 70's (and my mother used to take notes in Hindi sitting beside her ! )
Your replies to Nivedita's thought provoking questions were a treat to hear indeed.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Enjoyed watching this episode that took us into the heart and mind of Arasi. The insights were wonderful to hear and Nivedita has done an excellent job as an interviewer. Thanks vk sir for the upload.

Arasi ji you should publish your compositions with meanings given in English!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent episode. Nivedita is a natural interviewer. Thanks venkatakailasam for the upload.
Arasi, wonderful job in sharing your life experiences and explaining how the compositions come to you along with the tunes.
Your enthusiasm for bhArathi is so infectious and ebullient and I am sure you inspired a lot of listeners. Congratulations.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

very nice interview!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
Just curious there , may I know the rAgam in the song snippet that you sang.??

I do know that V V sadagopan, is your maternal uncle. May i know how Smt Ambujam KrishnA is related.

Also may I know your appa and amma's name too?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
I am touched by your warm response, though I cannot be compared to a spiritual lady like Indira Devi. I am not sure if your mother has watched the interview. Considering her exposure to the world of great men and women in the arts and in the history of India--as her mother's daughter and with your grandfather's house being a stopping place for gems of men and women, mine is a small world, indeed.

VK,
Thank you for the 'kUvudal' !

Mahavishnu,
Thanks ;)

Rajesh,
Lakshmi and Bangaruswamy, my parents. AK, my father's cousin's wife.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
I guess it is Revathi (if my guess is right)...
She was quite nervous for an impromptu rendering :D
Though Chennai can claim her as her own her pUrvIkam is Tinnevely AFAIK!
But being an "expatriate" she belongs to the world...
Did you notice the purity of her expressions in Tamil (natural and unrehearsed) compared to many from TN
who cannot speak except in Tanglish!

arasi

Post by arasi »

A composer who cannot sing her jujAvanthi right ;(
My tired voice didn't do much, and the unexpectedness of it made it worse! I had asked them if they could edit it out, knowing how poorly I performed. I think I did a better job of the RitigowLai when Sumitra asked me to sing at the CD Release, out of the blue!
The reason I speak better tamizh is because we took the tamizh of our days along with us, wherever we made our homes. We saw films of Sivaji rather than the kind that are screened today. What little I catch of them on TV as I seek a channel, is sometimes beyond my comprehension.Our language has changed so much in expression and without doubt, pronunciation.

Our native village is near TinnEli, not far from where Bharathi and HMB hail from!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Just watched... very nice. Thanks Nivedita for interviewing the star.

venkatakailasam

kindly see post number #96 at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 4&start=75

Smt. arasi's birthday was on 11-02-2012 her platinum year had commenced-She had turned 75.

Though late still can greet her as this is a year long event..

kindly do not skip posts..

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Better late than never. Arasiji my pranams to you.
Bless me.
with wishes,
Thanjavooran 04 03 2012

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, VKailasam!
Aging does have its perks ;)

Thanjavooran,
Yes, all the best to you from my heart--but let blessings come from the Almighty and the great ones!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Belated birthday wishes Arasi. I have almost at the end of my visit to India and will return home day after tomorrow. Will be in touch later.

venkatakailasam

Yes.. I tend to agree..Combat the signs of aging…”
“Who said that we have to age…”
“Defy the aging process…” All reads well..
What I’ve discovered as many... is that there are two basic requirements of graceful aging.... Graceful aging requires the “serenity to accept the things we cannot change; ability to change the things we can; and wisdom to know the difference.”
Certainly acceptance of aging is a key to aging gracefully – changes that commonly come with age are the “things we cannot change” and
the “things we can change?”
Relaxation...Attitude and Lifestyle...

Have a nice relaxed time..

and, what is wink..about..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Wise counsel for all of us Vkailasam...

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKailasam,
Ah, the perks?

Such as folks offering their seats to me when they see tired-me get into transit trains at the airport, offering me help when I try to cross a traffic-crazy road in India, my little grandson asking for my help to open a door with a knob he can't reach, and when I do so, hastening to warn me only to use my 'good hand' , people not dwelling on my little mistakes because they take those to be signs of aging....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...and the VIP treatment when they get to know you..
exclaiming with eyes wide open:
"So you are that Arasi of Rasikas.org-fame!
You look so young..." :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Duh! With the wrinkles and the wrinkles in my brain holding less matter :(
Yet, who's complaining? ;)

Let's not forget Andy Warhol in all this. How many short minutes did he say that one's celebrity state lasts in our times?

venkatakailasam

Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident. Riches take wing. Only one thing endures. And that is character……which you have in plenty….

wrinkles can appear above your eye brow ..but, do not allow it to be around your heart…

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks folks, for the affection you have for me!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK! I change my statement...
"So you are that Arasi of Rasikas.org-fame!
You look so young at Heart..."

arasi

Post by arasi »

You got it!

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

I've just made a blogpost on Arasi-ji. :)

Here's the link: http://nivedita.wordpress.com/2012/03/1 ... of-hearts/

venkatakailasam

I am extremely sorry that my post #379 has not been understood..
There are a couple of mails asking me to clarify "The wrinkles around the heart " and what prompted me to write like this..
Wrinkles above the brows and not wrinkles around heart is a commonly used saying..
It means that even in old age when wrinkles appear on the face , one's love and affection towards others should not diminish..

Nothing more nor less..which has to be understood in good spirit...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, even on the face of a child, are a welcome sight--when they express a 'hearty' smile. So is a happy wink ;)
So, what is there to 'frown' about wrinkles? I hope, even the young among us who don't sport them as a mark of mature years do look upon them kindly...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nivedita,
Thanks for your blog post.
Surely, you do know how happy I was that I finally meet you, having missed seeing or listening to you the past few years!
As many on the forum would agree, we feel as if we know you well--from your being among us and from your very good interviews that we have seen.
The pleasure was mine, meeting you, Viji the producer and others (your partner in life as well, patiently waiting for you in the lobby!).

Since I'm familiar with a sound studio from my childhood (taking part in children's programs and in plays and other broadcasts in my adulthood), a television studio (which I wasn't used to) did not seem very different. So, I felt at home, I guess.
I was struck by the fact that in spite of the day being Christmas day and a big holiday, you both rounded up enough crew to tape Anuradha Sridhar's interview and mine. The otherwise buzzing studio looked almost like a haunted mansion that day, with hardly any folks to be seen anywhere around. Even the News Section's floor looked deserted!

Hope you are completely recovered now. I did not know that you were ailing. Very professional you were, indeed...

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

Dear Arasi-ji,

Thank YOU, for making it happen! :) And yes, I'm completely alright now. :)

rshankar, Just read your post on the previous page, about my married name. My husband's name is Ajay, but I retain my maiden name Nivedita Narayanan. I don't know who Nivedita Subramaniam is! :P

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear that you are feeling fine--with Ajay by your side ;)

venkatakailasam

Engu paarthaalum-Raga Devaghandari-

Composer....Smt.Rajee Krishnan....

Rendered by Smt. Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX98Y013mjs

This is also available in my you tube links..http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 7&start=50

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What a beautiful remix!
You have embellished arasi's lovely lyrics meaningfully -
not to mention Nitin's intoxicating rendition!
Thanks...
Try a few others too - after getting the author's permission..

venkatakailasam

The songs were provided by Smt Sumitra Nitin herself...stating that they are all non commercial.
Of course the approval of arasi is also there..

venkatakailasam

Sumitra Nitin-Rama nee padamu Abhogi-Arasi...listen at...

http://soundcloud.com/venkatakailasam/0 ... n-rama-nee

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent.
Demonstrates Arasi's multilingual talent.

venkatakailasam

Naadi vandeen - gambhiira naattai - aadi...

Composed by Smt Rajee Krishnan ( arasi )

Rendered by Smt Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXb-1DlcRl8

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Beautiful remix. Thanks..

venkatakailasam

Solla solla Vachaspathi....

Composer...Arasi Rajee krishnan...

Rendered by Smt. Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJhTeJzvxw

venkatakailasam

E SWARA-004-Smt. Sumitra Nitin-Inda pillai enne seyum....Ragamalika...flv

Composed by Smt Rajee Krishnan....(arasi)...lyrics provided...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovc50zxv4o

venkatakailasam

E Swara-002-Sivanr Natanam kanden-Smt. Neela Ram Gopal(composition by Smt Arasi).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWXN-W3HxA

'E'-SWARA- 001-Kurai-theerpaan-hamsadwani.Smt. Neela Ramgopal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Avd7DEQKv8

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice remix with pleasing visuals.
Neela has sung with correct enunciations and bhavam.
It will be nice if Arasi posts the lyrics for the first...

venkatakailasam

Re: Arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

e swara 007- Inbamaayinum Tunbamadanennum -Smt Neela Ram gopal-( composition of Arasi) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2L6_EGztM4

I am not sure which deity arasi had in mind..I took it as Maha Periva for whom the song aptly apply..