Searching for a Guru

To teach and learn Indian classical music
puru00047

Searching for a Guru

Post by puru00047 »

fellow rasikas....
i have been playing the guitar for 4 1/2 years now and i have learnt rock and blues basics.
But i have decided to switch entirely to carnatic.
i can play some basic gamakas and i am convinced that with my kelvi-gnanam i can bring out any kind of gamaka/raga. but i want to learn it the proper traditional way..

help me in finding a guru...are there any carnatic guitar gurus? i tried prasanna but he went commercial and has an expansive college off OMR and i cant afford the money and the time..

i stay in Tambaram Chennai bTW

puru00047

Re: Searching for a Guru

Post by puru00047 »

* expensive college...*

mohan

Post by mohan »

Vijay Arun who plays Carnatic very well on the electric guitar. I have an old email ID vvarun@hotmail.com but not sure of it is still valid.

puru00047

Post by puru00047 »

still havent found anyone. i am willing to learn singing and then convert it to the guitar.

Raga Surabhi

Post by Raga Surabhi »

Hello,

Dr. Uma Ramasubramaniam, student of Smt. Lalitha Sivakumar is handling skype lessons for carnatic music students and has been running a carnatic music website with other members, http://www.ragasurabhi.com, which is aimed towards making raga identification easy through simple audio clips and demonstrations. You may please visit the website to hear a sample of recordings. In case, you are interested to learn, please drop a mail to ragasurabhiATragasurabhiDOTcom with a subject line - online music lessons.

Raga Surabhi Team.

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

Puru,

Are you male or female ?

How much time can you give for learning ?

I can suggest based on above.

puru00047

Post by puru00047 »

Male.
I can give upto 4 hrs on classes every week and upto 15hrs of practice every week.

I am well-versed with all the theory but have tried out very less in terms of gamakas and stuff.

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

Puru,

I suggest that you should have firm foundation in vocal ( as is required for any other instrumentalist ) . Would you like to learn in the formal knowledge acquiring method or you just want quick pointers for the instrument ? You have to decide fast. You don't seem to have a mail id ! I can suggest two very standard names for either of the two options above. Tell me if you are interested.