Agni's "Gurukulam"-A music learning experience camp

To teach and learn Indian classical music
agni

Agni's "Gurukulam"-A music learning experience camp

Post by agni »

Dear friends,

Agni Cultural Academy, Annamanada presents a unique music learning experience for carnatic music students- "GURUKULAM"- a 6 Days music learning camp with a legend for VOCAL & VIOLIN students and teachers who wish to pursue their career as an professional artist and efficient teachers ...This training camp will be focused on scaling up the skills in Manodharma and Laya aspects of Carnatic Music...

The concept is based on giving the upcoming talents an experience of our age old traditional method of learning system- the Gurukula system of music education. Here the students stay along with the Guru and will have rigorous training system which we’ve scheduled for all the 6 days at Annamanada, the beautiful cultural village in Thrissur District.

Agni is happy to announce that the legendry musicologist Prof.Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma will be the Guru for this project. We are sure that Sri.A.M.Sarma needs no introduction. Hence, agni is proud enough to have such a legend as our faculty and we wish the upcoming talents take advantage of this rare opportunity.

The camp is scheduled to commence on 28th April 2012 and will conclude on 3rd May 2012.

The registration is free for this camp. The participants will be provided certificates. To apply for this camp, the candidate should send their Bio-data briefing their music education career and should be sent to the following address:

"Director, Agni Cultural Academy, Annamanada Post, Thrissur- 680741.

Applications can also be sent to the following mail id: ajith.agni@gmail.com. The detailed programme schedule and other matters regarding the camp shall be sent in person to the candidates.

As Sri.A.M.Sarma is a renowned educationist in Carnatic music, he has shown his interest in giving guidance for music teachers during this camp, for all the 6 days.

For any queries you can reach us at +91-99464-41958
E-mail: ajith.agni@gmail.com

Seeking your kind patronage towards agni’s initiatives towards the cause of preserving the purity of our rich Cultural, Classical Heritage,
With Warm Regards

Ajith Neelakantan
Chairman

msakella

Re: Agni's "Gurukulam"-A music learning experience camp

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, agni, The moderators of this forum who are sincerely striving hard for the propagation of our music have very aptly even created an independent thread ‘Agni's "Gurukulam"-A music learning experience camp’ and kept you post in it giving this concept a special significance being very keenly interested in the success of this very nice concept. And, even another brother-member, rshankar, also wrote his best wishes to your very nice concept elsewhere. By all this it is obvious that all the moderators, brothers, sisters, aspirants and well-wishers are very eagerly waiting to follow the proceedings of this remarkable event. By all this our responsibility also increases to make this a truly memorable event. Hope, you will aptly respond accordingly by daily informing the proceedings of this nice ‘Gurukulam’ to all these well-wishers through your posts regularly. amsharma

agni

Post by agni »

Dear rasikas.org admin,

Am absolutely delighted with your kind support by putting this news as a new topic thread. And also am extremely sorry that without observing this i myself created a new topic on the same subject. Anyway, thank you very much for your kind support and seeks your extended patronage towards agni's initiatives for the cause of preserving the purity of classical heritage.

Thanks and Regards
agni

agni

Post by agni »

Dear friends,

The days are counting and just 5 more days for this great camp to commence..!! Agni has scheduled the camp programs as follows:

The programme schedule:-

Morning 5AM to 6Am - Sadhakam

6AM to 7Am - Naadayogam (yoga training)

9AM to 1PM - Gurukulam class

3PM to 5:30PM - Practice sessions / Chat sessions with renowned musicians

6:00PM - 7:00PM - Bhajans by inmates

8:30PM - 9:30PM - Documentary show on some of our past legends

Regards
agni.

agni

Post by agni »

Dear rasikas,

Agni invites you all to the unique workshop camp going to start from tomorrow... Agni welcomes whole heartedly Prof.Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma sir and all the participants....

agni

Post by agni »

Dear Friends,

Sorry for not able to update the ongoing sessions...Just thought to share some of the snaps of this unique project. The camp details shall be updated shortly...

Plz have a view of these snaps

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 490&type=3

agni

Post by agni »

Dear Rasikas,

It is with great joy that am sharing the experiences of the just concluded "Gurukulam" camp by Prof. Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma sir at Annamanada, the beautiful village in Thrissur District, Kerala. In Kerala, such intensive residential camps are quite often in traditional art forms like Kathakali, Koodiyattam, or the percussion art of Melam etc. But for Carnatic Music this happened to be the first time venture- a 6 day long residential camp. When we planned such a project, 2 main things were in our mind- 1. A Guru who shall never compromise in quality and make the aspirants work intensively; and 2. the camp location which should match the objective of the project. The almighty was so kind with us that we were blessed with our wishes. Prof.Akela Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir, known for his rigorous method of teaching the intricacies of Laya aspects of Carnatic Music was so kind enough to support us without any hesitation to be the Guru for this workshop camp. Sri. V.G.Babu, a Rtd. Superindent of Police was so kind enough to offer his beautiful house on the banks of the Chalakudy river, which suited the objective of this "Gurukulam". And of course, a remarkable gesture of support from Sri. Ramesh, an NRI and a great connoisseur of classical arts in Dubai for sponsoring this noble cause. It was the will of almighty that such a thing to happen, that every thing that related to this cause turned in favour, at a point of time that we were forced to drop this project!

On 27th April evening itself the Guru Prof.Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir and the participants of this camp reached the venue. There were 16 participants from various parts of the state, with different age group. Most of them were Post Graduate students from different Universities. The camp was commenced by Prof.Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir by lighting the lamp on the 28th Morning at 9AM. All the participants did the Guru Pooja to Sarma Sir and were very attentive to their Guru. Sarma sir started with the topic of Thala Prasthara. It was absolutely mind blowing mathematical exercises that were blown into the brains of these candidates..!! The first 2 days were full of mathematical exercises which layed the foundation for these students to understand how combinations can be made in any tala structures. The 3rd Day started with practical mathematics, rendering swaras in very common and complicated Gruhams of complicated talas. The structure of these swara exercises were absolutely phenomenal that we could measure the confidence that these children were gaining, after they could make out these exercises perfectly..!

The last 2 days were planned for method of Ragalaapana. Starting from Bhairavi Ada Thala Varnam, Sarma sir paved the way for them to understand the depth of ragaalapaana. Every one were astonished to see a piece of paper given to them, in which notations for singing the Bhairavi and Thodi ragas were printed..!! each and every surtle sangathis were notated with ultimate perfection, which simplified with some unique symbols ! His immense patience for such a marvelous job and for the great heart for sharing his knowledge without any ulterior motives are really applaudable...

All the participants were made to perform on the final session. For this, they were made in groups. the members in each group performed individually a certain pattern of swara excercise in a particular tala. It was overwhelming experience to see that these children, out of which many of them who were not even capable put tala when a slight gathibhedam was put forth, singing perfectly the complicated jathi patterns..!! The 'Agni' was blown in their hearts..!!!

The success of this camp was rated when we received calls from some of the guardians of these candidates. They were surprised to see the change in their child's attitude. They were so happy to see their child getting up early in the morning without any pressure from them, practicing with so high degree of desire. Absolutely this is what we'd visualized the result of this camp. And Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir indeed made the U-turn in their musical attitude.

Agni prostrate with utmost respect to Prof.Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir, the real revolutionary Guru, who is also a great Visionary for making this camp a great success. Also we thank all those who had wished and prayed for the welfare of this project. We shall update the video of this camp as soon as possible. Continuing the journey towards a better and pure music education, to preserve the purity of our rich classical music, which is as pure as 'agni'.....

Agni.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Where in Trichur district is Annammanada? Good to know the gurukulam teaching brought the results needed. Small clips each day subject will be of help to us. Thank you agni for this detailed update.

agni

Post by agni »

Plz visit the following video link to have a look at the performance of the participants of the camp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO3TS1UmHE

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Awesome. This is well known in this forum since Sri. Akellaji has written about this many times, but the performance of the camp participants lays bare the importance of layam in kalpanaswaras and the confidence it instills in the students. It is the flexible skeletal structure on which the flesh and skin ( melody ) is overlaid to give rise to the various beautiful forms and shapes of music.

That fundamental aspect is so cleared shown by these students in their performances. I am sure the students went home from the camp with a much higher level of self-confidence about their music and in their abilities to widen their musical repertoire by themselves. That is what Sri. Akellaji's teaching system is all about.

Congratulations all!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear Rasikas,

Our brother-member vasanthakokilam truly caught the vital point of my novel method of teaching right from the beginning unlike any music-teacher on earth and, even now, wrote the truth of this novel camp ‘Gurukulam’. I profusely thank him now.

Having served as a professional teacher for 35 years and, at last, having myself found only a 10% successful teacher even by the date of my retirement and, simultaneously, having all along lead a parasitical life of a professional Violinist also for more than 50 years, only by the grace of the Almighty, I could introspect my self very deep and visualise a novel method of teaching music to our kids making it truthfully ‘time-bound and result-oriented’. Later, feeling it as my duty to truthfully pay back my society unlike any other professional teacher or professional musician, I have given up even my lucrative profession as a Violinist and took up the experimentation of methods in teaching music on full-time basis and, simultaneously, even the propagation of them as a mission for the rest of my life. As this is an evolution in the methods in teaching music others may not believe if I truthfully tell that I have been finding different methods in the process of my daily experiments on the aspirants growing myself each and every second and going on adding them to my repertoire.

As you all are very well aware of music is mostly performance oriented. Just like in cooking or even in driving a motor-cycle if the teacher, without doing himself, properly and efficiently initiates the learner in doing things accordingly the learner learns each and everything while performing the needed. Thus, both the teaching and learning also must simultaneously become performance oriented. This is the key of this novel method and I, either singing Vocal or playing Violin myself even the most minimum, shall vigilantly make the aspirant knowledgeable in this process to push him/her further and further inch by inch every second

In particular, in respect of music, here is another vital point of ‘rhythm’ to make a very important note. While learning the driving of a motor-cycle the learner cannot successfully proceed further in learning unless the machine, the motor-cycle, is in proper condition to move accordingly instilling the confidence in the learner to move further and further. Thus, his success in learning lies not only in the able initiation of his/her teacher but also in his self-confidence to move further and further efficiently. In the same manner, even in our music, the success of the learner lies not only in the able initiation of his/her teacher but also in his self-confidence instilled by his/her teacher to ably move further and further on his/her vehicle, the rhythm and Tala. To deal with this, in which way the efficient movements towards both right and left-sides is needed in respect of the learner in driving the motor-cycle, in respect of our music-aspirant, the able movements both in Chaturshra and (the minimum-odd) Trisra-gatis is mostly needed. To tell the fact, even the relevant basic seeds are efficiently and sufficiently sown by our ancients bringing out the importance of oddity in Gatis in the ratio of 1:4 of one even Chaturashra and four odd-gatis, the inefficients in handling even the minimum-odd, Trisra, have very conveniently avoided it pitiably making the entire monument our great-music collapse due to their inefficiency. More suicidal fact in this affair is even the efficients are blindly following the inefficients in such respects.

Now, this six-days workshop on classical music, ‘Gurukulam’, held at Annamnada, Thrissur District, Kerala, by the noble person Chi. Ajith Neelakanthan ably supported by the noble persons Shri V.G.Babu, a Rtd. Superindent of Police and Shri Ramesh, an NRI and a great connoisseur of classical arts in Dubai, could make this most remarkable and memorable event possible for the sake of our kids eagerly learning our Karnataka music.

In fact, previously also, I have conducted such workshop in the Music-department of the Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh from 06-02-2002 to 12-02-2002 for 7 days for both the Staff and students having been invited by the then Head of that Department. In that workshop I have demonstrated making the Staff and students following me from 8.00 am to 1.00 pm daily and later moving to our respective staying places. But, the pity is, later when I have again visited that department being the member of the Board of Studies; I have found the respective teachers are not at all teaching the important items I have given them. Also in the same manner when I have visited all the 13 Music-colleges in our state thrice in each year from 2005 to 2007 conducting Lecture-demonstrations and workshops to both the Staff and students they all have learned these new methods but, later, except one or two teachers, no one was teaching these items to the students in the absence of any kind of supervision since last 50 years. Even a circular was issued by the then Director to conduct periodical Lecture-demonstrations by the Staff-members it was not implemented at all due to lack of supervision. In the same manner I have visited many of our South Indian universities not only in Andhra Pradesh but also in Tamil-nadu and Karnataka and, ultimately found that everywhere most of the teachers, in the absence of any supervision, are not bothered about the standards at all but their regular salaries. Everywhere, as neither the aspirants nor the parents nor the music-lovers are aware of the indifferent and negligent attitude of the teachers the standards are gradually deteriorating to the lowest level and, mostly, impotent-certificate-holders are being produced every year.

Even though only Lecture-demonstrations and workshops are highly useful to the aspirants learning music many are interested only in arranging music-concerts but not in arranging Lecture-demonstrations or workshops. Even if very few arrange such Lecture-demonstrations the speakers are mostly interested in giving Lecture-demonstrations on any other topic than the crucial Svarakalpana or Ragalapana. Even very few experts very rarely hold such Lecture-demonstrations on Svarakalpana or Ragalapana it is always desirable only to hold a workshop for extended duration for the benefit of the aspirants.

In fact, as per the time schedule, I had to demonstrate from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm only daily and later the participants are supposed to practice themselves. But, having seen the highly inspiring environment, being a person not to sleep and not to let others also sleep on such occasions, even from the 2nd day itself I have started working from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm keeping not only myself working but making others also working along. Ultimately, this brought out the amazing results from the aspirants.

Among all of them, there is one highly brilliant kid named Chi. Pradeesh Balan, who, having become inspired of the highly interesting material I am giving them, could not sleep but came to me even in the early hours, at 1.30 am on the 2nd day itself craving for more material to learn. As that is the duty of the server to give more food to eat to such people, I have given him plenty up to 4.00 am and he very successfully reproduced all the intricate and typical rhythmical exercises then and there. Even on the 3rd day at the same time I have again given him still more to swallow and I have also initiated him to, in turn, teach all those varieties to all the other kids which he very successfully carried out. Thus, a very highly inspiring atmosphere prevailed and each and every candidate worked very hard enthusiastically which ultimately brought out the amazing success of the workshop.

In total, 16 candidates have participated and, basing upon a typical and intricate rhythmical test eight candidates of them are found meritorious and they have been trained in all these intricate exercises and others followed them. I sincerely hope that some more experts hold such workshops of extended duration periodically in respect of Svarakalpana and Raglapana for the benefit of our kids. amsharma

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

msakella wrote: But, having seen the highly inspiring environment, being a person not to sleep and not to let others also sleep on such occasions, even from the 2nd day itself I have started working from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm keeping not only myself working but making others also working along. Ultimately, this brought out the amazing results from the aspirants.

Among all of them, there is one highly brilliant kid named Chi. Pradeesh Balan, who, having become inspired of the highly interesting material I am giving them, could not sleep but came to me even in the early hours, at 1.30 am on the 2nd day itself craving for more material to learn.
Akella gAru
Nice to hear this . In this world where virtual teaching in a fixed timeframe is becoming a norm , you doing that is incredible . I would love to see the 01:30 Am video recording of Pradeesh learning from you , but I am sure I would not get that ;)

agni

Post by agni »

Dear Rasikas,

Today morning i was awaken by a call from Vishwesh, one among the participants of this Gurukulam camp (He is the younger son of the noted Violin Vidwan Sri. Palakkad R.Swaminathan, Professor in Violin, Swathi Tirunal Music College Trivandrum). He was in a great joy that y'day he had a concert (violin accompaniment) at Palakkad and he was able to reply the vocalist with perfect swara patterns, which he had been taught in this camp..!! I could feel the level of confidence in his voice, could measure the depth he has been submerged into music...after his turn, Swaminathan sir himself talked to me thanking for giving such a change in his son's musical attitude...He want this camp to be held in Palakkad too..!! Then came vishwesh's mother, Smt.Rajeshwari, who is also a music teacher..she literally broke out with immense joy that she was so happy to see her son's change, which she had dreamed a lot to happen..!! Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma Sir has created some magic in the lives of 16 music apirants..!!

Agni is satisfied..but not saturated...will continue this process for the propagation of pure classical music education...

Agni

Pradeesh Balan

Post by Pradeesh Balan »

My humble pranams to all the rasikas and especially to the most revered Sharma sir. Agni let me know the reviews of the camp and hence I became desirous to join the group. I'm the same "Chi. Pradeesh Balan" whom sir wrote about. Thank you sir. The credit goes not to me but to you. If a thief comes to know there is a rare treasure hidden just beyond the wall of his room, will he get any sleep till he has bagged it completely? That was my state. How could I keep mum when a "simple-giant" was present at a distance not far than my breath for half a dozen of days! Its not that I shown interest but, he rejuvenated my dormant abilities the flourishing of which made me not contain myself to the normal. All the credit goes to the robust personality named Sri. Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma. His esteemed presence itself works wonders.

Pradeesh Balan

Post by Pradeesh Balan »

Wow Vishwesh! I'm so happy to learn it. Superb bro. I just pray the fire is never extinguished. Normally we musicians are very impulsive and act many a times irrationally. This kindled flame must go on. I hope our reunion takes place very soon bro:)

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, rajeshanat, Thank you for your kind appreciation. But, I am not in a position to produce the video of that teaching session as no other member of us was awake to take a video. However, you must become satisfied by the available photographs only. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, Pradeesh Balan, Keep always eating it as much as you can and giving it, in turn, to as many as you can. Wish you all the best. amsharma

agni

Post by agni »

Dear Rasikas,

The Video has been updated...Plz follow this link for the same...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSMvd4Y3y8I

Kindly note that the earlier video has been deactivated...

Regards
Agni

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

As a rasika i was attracted to attend this Gurukulam and did attend for about 5 days. Although my brief is quite late and almost everything in the concluded Gurukulam has been reported by both Ajith & Prof AMS Sharma in the above posts, i love to write the following few lines.

1. Serene Ambience : A quiet and peaceful venue on the banks of Chalakudy River. Ideally suited for music practise. Excellent Venue for Gurukulam.

2. Daily morning music practise at 5 am : Ajith used to teach modified Saralai in different thalas to be sung in two speeds. Later days Akara/E Kara/U kara sadhakams were introduced for these Sarale swaras. MM Gowla was the raga used for this exercise. Participants were eager and used to be ready in the morning 5 am. (Inspite of plenty of thaala exercise had to be practised for next days presentation in the class). I am sure participants had very less sleep during this workshop, still they were bubbling with a lot of entusiam daily morning.

3. Prof AMS has given such a strong thaala foundation, each participant can sing Kalpana Swaras with absolute total confidence. If i am not wrong, Prof has covered almost all complicated kanakkus in this Gurukulam. It was a sheer joy to watch participants sing complicated Thaala execises.

4. Due to this rigorous thaala practise ,Raaga could be taught only in the last three days. Prof was feeling lack of time to impart many more aspects of Manodharma Sangeetham. Bhairavi and Thodi raaga were notated with so much intricate gamakams.
Hats off to Prof AMS Sharmaji for his everlasting patience in bringing out unique notations for both thaala prastaramas and gamakams !!!

5. We had three documentaries played( each lasting for almost one to one and half hours duration)
1. Ramnad Krishnan 2. S Kalyanaraman 3. GNB
Participants totally enjoyed these documentaries as there ware plenty to learn.

6. I was fortunate to share the room with Prof AMS and we were discussing music all the time and have become very good friends.

7. Excellent organisation by Ajith for making this Gurukulam very successful. The whole Gurukulam was free of cost. What a noble service to aspirants of Carnatic Music !!!

PS: Ajith & Prof AMS are most welcome to add/correct my observations.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vs_manjunath, Even before making observations upon your writings, at the first instance, I must make observations upon my own deeds.

Unlike any other selfish-professional-musician while Chi. Ajith Neelakanthan took the lead to organise such a most remarkable ‘True Gurukulam’ for the benefit of our kids is it not also my duty as an aged and experienced professional-music-teacher to act accordingly to make this ‘Gurukulam’ a tremendous success mainly for the benefit of our kids? Very simply it was my duty. Thus, by the grace of the Almighty every thing went on well with amazing results.

If a person doesn’t do anything well and good there won’t be anything to find as nothing has been done. But, the problem starts if we start to do something. Thus, we have started to do something and it went on well. But, only after doing things we will come to know which has not been done and in which way it has to be done. This process itself is the evolution. Thus, unlike in the past, after holding this work shop of longer duration on ‘Svarakalpana & Ragalapana’, I came to know what I did not do and what else has to be done for the full benefit of our kids. Thus, I could make some more very important additions increasing the duration to ‘9-days-workshop’. So, be ready to witness the next ‘9-days-workshop’ on ‘Svarakalpana & Ragalapana’. amsharma