Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
VISHNURAMPRASAD

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Today is the 100th Birthday of Gaana Kalaadhara Shri Madurai Mani Iyer. (1912 to 1968).

A 100 Pranaams to the great master :

Who raptured(s) the sangeetha rasikas with his suswara madhura sangeetham!
Who established the "Sukha bhaavam" and "Sowkhya bhaavam" aspect of Sangeetham with his roaring success in his outstanding career!
Who resonated through his music that music has to be enjoyed by Self first! - be it practising, be it presenting or be it listening!
Who proved to the world by his success that Melody is more important than Mathematics!
Who by his hard work and meticulous practise, obtained purity and clarity in every aspect of sangeetham and established that one who is strong in basics and devotedly follows Sruthi bhakthi and laya bhakthi could transform his rasikas to a divine bliss while listening to him!
Who had singularly popularised the Navagraha krithis of Dikshithar!
Who contributed immensly to the cause of thamizh isai!
Who introduced many apoorva ragas and krithis of the trinity!
Who proved by his examplary life that music is not just a profession but when coupled with great virtues, could make a man immortal!

Longlive his divine music! Longlive suswara sangeetham!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear Vishnu,
I am really HAPPY that U reflected the MILLIONS of FANATICS minds in your praise of the ONE AND ONLY MMI.Of course TVS and his two MUSICAL children are continuing the tradition and TVS is surely uplifting the greatness of MMI in hi own style.One cannot forget the contributions of late T S Vembu Iyer who served MMI as the most constant companion.It is worthwhile to observe TSV day also as part of MMI 100 events.2012 is the CentenARY YEAR OF THE stalwart>LET ALL THE MMI MADDYS COME TOGETHER AND MAKE IT A MASSIVE SUCCESS!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I am thrilled to see Vishnu's glowing tribute on the Deva Ganam of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer on his 99th birthday . He is fully competent to talk about " the Melody and Mathematics" of music ! But words can never fully bring the experience of listening to his music.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Looks like MMI centennial function has been inaugurated with many musicians who performed with Mani Iyer - TNK, LGJ. TKM, VR, UKS, ...

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns ... 635735.ece

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next session is on NOVEMBER 26th SATURDAY.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm With SNACKS PL CONFIRM!

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
#4/4, Kumudh Apartments (1st Floor, Road-facing entrance)
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857
S. Venugopalan: 98413 13527

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

chandraiitm

Post by chandraiitm »

Dear Annamalai,

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer » 21 Nov 2011 16:44

Thank you for posting the Hindu coverage I being in Nagpur wpuld have missed it but for you
Chandrasekharan
annamalai wrote:Looks like MMI centennial function has been inaugurated with many musicians who performed with Mani Iyer - TNK, LGJ. TKM, VR, UKS, ...

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns ... 635735.ece

chandraiitm

Post by chandraiitm »

Dear Vishnuprasad

I am late to respond since I read your post only today.

You have spoken for millions of MMI devotees.

Every word you have written about the Great Master is TRUE.

Thanks for writing what I wanted to do.

Chandrasekharan
VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Today is the 100th Birthday of Gaana Kalaadhara Shri Madurai Mani Iyer. (1912 to 1968).

A 100 Pranaams to the great master :

Who raptured(s) the sangeetha rasikas with his suswara madhura sangeetham!
Who established the "Sukha bhaavam" and "Sowkhya bhaavam" aspect of Sangeetham with his roaring success in his outstanding career!
Who resonated through his music that music has to be enjoyed by Self first! - be it practising, be it presenting or be it listening!
Who proved to the world by his success that Melody is more important than Mathematics!
Who by his hard work and meticulous practise, obtained purity and clarity in every aspect of sangeetham and established that one who is strong in basics and devotedly follows Sruthi bhakthi and laya bhakthi could transform his rasikas to a divine bliss while listening to him!
Who had singularly popularised the Navagraha krithis of Dikshithar!
Who contributed immensly to the cause of thamizh isai!
Who introduced many apoorva ragas and krithis of the trinity!
Who proved by his examplary life that music is not just a profession but when coupled with great virtues, could make a man immortal!

Longlive his divine music! Longlive suswara sangeetham!

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Interesting Article By Chitraveena Shri N Ravikiran, from The Hindu, titled " As pitch-perfect in life as in music "

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/arti ... epage=true

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The tribute to MMI by Chitraveena Ravikiran is really great . The very apt reference to his grandfather Sri Narayana Iyengar's words "Even if the sun may rise in the west and the oceans trip over themselves Madurai Mani would neve deviate from sruti " is no exaggeration! MMI at the age of 15 when the first Music Academy conference was held can demonstrate and sing all the 72 melakartha ragas was no mean achievement .

cacm

Post by cacm »

Balummi,
GREAT REFERENCE BY RAVIKIRAN! HOW TRUE IT IS TOO!....VKV

Purist

Post by Purist »

From the article in post # 758, TVS mentions to have learnt Paramathmudu and Samukhana Nilva from MMI.

I would love to listen MMI's rendering of these two master pieces of Thyagraja Swami. Anyone having a recording of MMI
please post. (Special request to VKV & Balumni sir if they can find this in their treasure)

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The next listening session will be on 29/01/2012 Sunday between 10.00 A.M to 12.00 noon followed by a lunch at the new venue - Residence of Sri E.N Renganathan , Flat No 3, 2nd Floor, Sapthagiri Apartments, 83, TTK Road, Alwarpet. Near Eldams Road signal on TTK Road. (Opp to Kamadhenu Petrol Pump, Next to Crossword Book Store) (Tel - 9003027857).

Pl. confirm your attendance before Friday 27.01.2012 to Sri,S.Venugopalan Ph: +91 44 42151321 / 98413 13527. We have to plan the lunch quantity

Venu Sundar

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I did attend the Programme. At the very outset, thanks for Mr.Venugopal/Venu sundar arranging such a wonderful programme. I also attended some of this earlier programmes. Kudos to the team, for conducting a separate programme for Shri MMI. Never ever heard this for any other artist...Great.
It was well arranged and fortunate to listen to some experiences of yesteryear rasikas, besides the evergreen music of Shri MMI. Lunch was also served.
Being Jan 29, we could listen to Shri MMIs Shanmukapriya RT followed by pallavi “MahAtmA maNi vazhi nadappOm....”. Jan 30, being MahAtma’s remeberance day, it was an apt pallavi chosen by the organisers to play in the previous day.
Some of the interesting experiences shared in the programme:
Mr.K.K.Ganapathy who runs “ Bharatiya Music Circle in Mumbai shared his experience:
“I have long association with Shri MMI at the age of 13. At the age of 13, MMI started his first “unofficial” concert in some place of Kerala. When Harikesannallur (HMB) gave a discourse on that day, he asked MMI to sing one kriti and latter rendered with “rA rA mA inti (asAveri of T) with breathtaking swarAs. There was no looking back after this.
In one concert, pAlakkad mani Iyer was about to accompany, but he could not come so, local mridangist was arranged. MMI took “meenakshi memudam” purvikalyAni kriti of MD. While giving neraval in “madhurApuri nilaye, maNi valayE”, he rendered as “maNi vallayE” (means mani did not come)”
Another one at Shanmugananda at Mumbai - MMI had to perform on Oct 1 and MLV on Oct 2. He taught MLV the pallavi “mahatma... “ and asked her to sing on oct 2. MLV had another Guru on that day !!!
Another octogeneraian got up and he shared his experience.
“When “gAna kalA dharA” award was given, rasikas at that time, thought (even now), he should have been given “ghandarva gAna kalA dharA”

He was giving a concert in Sai bAbA temple in mylApore. The concert started at 10.30 and ended at 3 AM. He rendered 4 kritis. One of them was “sukhi evvaro” in kAnadA. Next day, when this person went to office, there was no speech, only communication of kAnadA swarAs. (even now, some of us can render these swarAs without adequate experience in CM,,, immortal).

MMI gives lot of importance to sruti. If any tambura problem, he patiently adjusts, even if takes half an hour..”
Shri.Venugopal said referring one of the Ghatam Artist of yesterdays, while singing “kandan karunai puriyum” famous kriti in Bhimplas, in the last line “annai parAshakti arul sudar vel”, the Ghatam artist, throws the Ghatam in the air (as done at the end of tani)”. A real bliss.
Truly an incident to cherish for scores of rasikas like me who even now enjoy his “impeccable” music. Listening Kritis, like kAmbodhi- mA janaki, purvikalyAni-Jnanamu segaradha and RTP Shanmugapriya, were never tiresome/boring despite that I have listened many times.
Returning my home, I was thinking what was so special about MMI to connect to Jan 30, MahAtma’s remembrance day, the answer was
Both of them had a clear vision-“ to reach their message to the ricksawallah”

With the pallavis (RTP) of today stooped to such a low level, we could not stop thinking MMI rendered the pallavi “MahAtma” on Jan 30th 1948 in some place. Long live Maestro !!!!!
I could not stop praising this forum. Around 79000 views for MMI, highest in this segment, tell how much rasikas love this person and his music !!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: Being Jan 29, we could listen to Shri MMIs Shanmukapriya RT followed by pallavi “MahAtmA maNi vazhi nadappOm....”. Jan 30, being MahAtma’s remeberance day, it was an apt pallavi chosen by the organisers to play in the previous day.

With the pallavis (RTP) of today stooped to such a low level, we could not stop thinking MMI rendered the pallavi “MahAtma” on Jan 30th 1948 in some place.
GRS
Certainly this pallavi "mahatma mani mozhi vazhi nadappOm, mAperum talaivar gandhi " is a wonderful one that too with the choice of shanmughapriyA is just awesome.Though the references that today's pallavi is low level is bit beyond my understanding, as there is much more renaissance now.

This pallavi was composed by Chitti Sundarrajan ,there is an article about him in this url http://www.hindu.com/2001/08/26/stories/0426401z.htm

Shri Venu Sundar,
I am assuming you have some vintage photos of mmi and your dad Shri Chitti SundarrAjan, if possible can you scan them and upload sir .Any group photos where MMI and others are participating is also appreciated.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear All ,
MMI did not like restrictions in singing and could not go freely with ragamalika swaras after the pallavi " Mahatma Mani Mozhi" due to AIR timings ! It was not so in the case of Ramanavami concerts and they never came to a close even after 1a.m. in the night . for e.g. in the 1964 Ramanavami concert , he started singing shanmugapriya with the intention of singing pallavi , and we were all wondering whether he was going to sing Saravanabava Shanmuga or Mahatma Manimozhi and in both cases it was unsuitable for Ramanavami. As if he had also realised the mistake , he thundered the pallavi " Rama Govinda Mugunda Murare" and this particular soulstirring pallavi can be listened any number of times with mesmesrising effect
and we propose to play it in our monthly MMI listening sessions during this years' Ramanavami.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL MMI MADDYS,
I am one of the millions of MMI fans.I am very HAPPY and Grateful to Sri Sastriji to have given a fine resume on the MMI Monthly event.Sri Ganapathigi 85 year old YOUNG MAN came all the WAY from Mumbai and We are very much excited to have SUCH great RASIKAS OF MMI>THe next session will be on 26th Feb 2012 Sunday with SNACKS and we expect MORE MMI rasikas to come and participate.Madurai Mani is GOD OF MUSIC>In the AMUDASURABHI ISSUE DT FEB 2012 there is a SPECIAL ARTICLE ON MMI by the Late THI Janakiraman.Plese ALL rasikas resd it and come back with UR views

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next listening session will be on 25/02/2012 Saturday between 10.00 A.M to 12.00 noon followed by SKC (Sweet, Kaaram and Coffee) at the same venue - Residence of Sri E.N Renganathan , Flat No 3, 2nd Floor, Sapthagiri Apartments, 83, TTK Road, Alwarpet. Near Eldams Road signal on TTK Road. (Opp to Kamadhenu Petrol Pump, Next to Crossword Book Store) (Tel - 9003027857).

Pl. confirm your attendance before Thursday 24.01.2012 to Sri,S.Venugopalan Ph: +91 44 42151321 / 98413 13527. Thanks.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

PL NOTE THAT THE CHANGE OF DATE IT IS ON 25TH SATURDAY AND NOT ON 26TH SUNDAY DUE TO SOME UNAVOIDABOE PRACTICAL REASONS PL BEAR WITH US AND ATTEND THE SESSION TO ENJOY THE MUSIC OF GREAT AND ONLY MMI.PLS ATTEND THE SESSION ON 25TH FEB ATURDAY AND ENJOY MUSIC

jayakanth

Post by jayakanth »

Dear Forumites,
Has MMI sung any Ashtapathi of Jayadeva or 'alarsara parithapam' of Swathi tirunal ?( for that matter, any Swati Tirunal songs). Could someone post a download link please.

venravi

Post by venravi »

He sang Sarasaksha paripalayam in Pantuvarali. Very famous.
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... demy-1966/
Ravi

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear All,

Please note that Chitti - Madurai Mani - Guhan Remembrance Day is being celebrated and the details are below.

Subject: CHITTI-MADURAI MANI-GUHAN DAY1

Date : 1st April 2012!
VENUE : VIDYYA VILASAM
NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST
DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41
Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 9-30 AM TO 11AM APRIL 1ST SUNDAY 2012
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH SNACKS
ALL MADURAI MANI MADDYS WELCOME!CONTACT VENU 9841313527

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

perarulalan wrote:Interesting Article By Chitraveena Shri N Ravikiran, from The Hindu, titled " As pitch-perfect in life as in music "
Thanks for the pointer. Ravikiran says in this articlle
The manner in which (MMI) cultivated his voice ensured that he had absolutely no insecurity about any note.
Unfortunately Ravikiran does not say exactly how he managed to do that (ensure that he had no insecurity). No doubt every other singer would kill for this ability but only MMI mastered it. No one seems to know (or want to tell us) what rigors MMI went through to get there. No doubt some would say it is a "God-given gift" but banishing insecurity in the mind sounds like a very human endeavor, not a divine gift. Notice Ravikiran says MMI "cultivated" his voice, not carried it like a gift.
In a field where numerous artistes feel diffident about singing certain notes even after 50 years of performing experience, this achievement alone is sufficient to put Mani Iyer among the all-time greats.
I wonder which of these "numerous" artistes we know of and cherish. Anyone care to speculate on who Ravikiran might be talking about? To be honest, it should not be taken as an insult -- most artistes have less than perfect voices -- honesty can only make us braver. :grin:

Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

In an AIR interview Mani Iyer advises any aspiring Vidwan regarding Sruti : " He should first fix his

basic ( Aathara ) sruti such that he should easily glide through all the swarasthanams and with a little effort he must reach the Nishadam and the higher Shadjam . If he could effertlessly reach these swaras and fix the aathara sruti ( kattai ) his voice will float . After fixing his kattai , he must constantly practice only at this level and never waver and try to shift it. "

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Balummi wrote:In an AIR interview Mani Iyer advises any aspiring Vidwan regarding Sruti : " He should first fix his

basic ( Aathara ) sruti such that he should easily glide through all the swarasthanams and with a little effort he must reach the Nishadam and the higher Shadjam . If he could effertlessly reach these swaras and fix the aathara sruti ( kattai ) his voice will float . After fixing his kattai , he must constantly practice only at this level and never waver and try to shift it. "
I think this is good advice. These days teachers tell you this -- fix your kattai and practice only at this sruthi and never change it. Perhaps it was not common advice back then when perhaps male singers still had a dream of singing at sruthis as high as 4 (F)! Gliding is a great metaphor but many people do it and the effect is quite different from MMI's even if the different effect is good. For example, anyone listening to SSI singing the dhENukA kriti teliyalEnurAmA will say that SSI is simply gliding as well, but the effects created by SSI and MMI are quite distinct.

In my humble opinion the hallmark of MMI's singing was the apparent lack of any strain whatsoever in any part of his range. So perhaps the critical part of the advice is "with little effort" though I wonder why he restricted himself to just the "Nishadam and higher shadjam" and not extend it higher. There is a natural impression that will formed that singing higher notes will necessarily take effort but that it not the case.

-Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I thank all those who thronged Arkay convention Hall for the Ramanavami Concert of Madurai Mani Iyer held on 12-06 -1966 at Aswametha Mahamandapam , Venus Colony with Chowdiah , Palghat Mani Iyer and Madurai Krishna Iyengar. The recording was replayed on 12 - 04 - 2012 . There was no room even for moving our limbs . It was overwhelming and the recording by SL was excellent . We want more such replaying of concerts instead of somebody else singing in MMI's honour as the original can never be replaced by others.

tkb

Post by tkb »

It was indeed a great treat to the ears and all credits to the team which has made this happen!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Balummi wrote:I thank all those who thronged Arkay convention Hall for the Ramanavami Concert of Madurai Mani Iyer held on 12-06 -1966 at Aswametha Mahamandapam , Venus Colony with Chowdiah , Palghat Mani Iyer and Madurai Krishna Iyengar. The recording was replayed on 12 - 04 - 2012 . There was no room even for moving our limbs . It was overwhelming and the recording by SL was excellent . We want more such replaying of concerts instead of somebody else singing in MMI's honour as the original can never be replaced by others.
BaluMMI,
MAy I know the song list of this concert.

Just one point , while replaying recording that too shri MMI is good ,let us also not forget a performing musician in chennai has lost an opportunity to perform and the vibes of live music is always much higher than recorded music.

I remember once Semmangudi mAmA saying once in a tribute to MMI, Mani Iyer sangeetham romba osathi , appadiyE avar mAmA Madurai Pushpavanam mathiriyE pAduvAr. Thank God in 1940's to 1960's, we did not have Madurai Pushpavanam recordings, for all that we know on 12-06-1966, if there was a recording of Madurai pushpavanam , we would have had then a replay of Madurai Pushpavanam recording instead of MMI singing during a ramanavami in 1966 :)

It is a challenge for "today's musician to perform with a free mind and a reasonable time duration" amidst the vaibhavam,akandam, CD Release, Birthday Celebrations , kshetram and the newly created series of replays.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajesh ,
Madurai Sri Pushpavanam Iyer passed away, if I remember correct ,when MMI was only 5 years old . There was no chance of even MMI recollecting his voice . How could Semmangudi Mama who was only 9 years at that time could remember it . Probably he could have heard it said from his guru Sri Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer ! Anyway the list of songs that was replayed yesterday were :
Telisirama , Ankarakam ( not played as yesterday was a Thursday ), Apparama ( Pantuvarali ) , Brovabarama , Seethapathe ( not Played ) , Sarasasama , Vinanasakuni ( Prataba Varali ) , Vinathasudha ( Jeyanthasena ), Ka Va Va , Inthasowkya ( Kapi ) , Virutham , Slokam , Vellaithamarai , Note , Karpagame , Maaye & Mangalam.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

I have posted two of MMI's concert here...

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18857

Sarasaksha paripalayam in Pantuvarali

and Sarasa sama dhana in Kapi narayani...

kapali

Post by kapali »

Reg the AYodhya mandapam Ramanami concert of 1966' it must be in the twilight years of MMI and Chowdiah as MMI passed way 2years later and Chowdiah only a year later.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

A song by Smt Rajam Pushpavanam daughter of Madurai Pushpavanam posted by vintageaudio54

Rajam Pushpavanam_Krishna Nee Begane..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YADM6GBfnM

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Krishna Nee posted by Venkatakailasam is very good to listen . Sometime back I uploaded Krishna Nee by MMI himself recorded from AIR Darwar in 1960's . The reception was not good here in Chennai and there was lot of distrurbances.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Believe it or not!On April 12th 2012 at 6-30PM the ARKAY HALL AT THE LUZ was overflowing with 300+rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer 44 years after the death of the legendary musician and it was an emotional evening.The live concert was held during the RAMANAVAMI SERIES AT THE VENUS COLONY ALWARPET IN 1966 APRIL 12TH.MMI Birth Centenary Commitee organised the function to listen to the Master MAdurai Mani Iyer and the accompaniments were again the legendary Chowdiah on Violin and Palghat Mani Iyer on Mridangam and PMI 100 is also coinciding with the MMI 100!Sri Krishnan was on the Kanjira.MMI started off with Telsirama folllowed by RARA MINTIDAGA and APPA RAMA BHAKTI!Sarasa SAMA DANA was the main piece in Kapi narayaini and the concert included Entha Sowkiya Panile a Kapi ragam and incidentlaly MMI was a true good Coffee lover.MMI focussed on songs on LORD RAMA and it was MUSIC filled with BHAKTHI
all the way.The audience were the lucky lot and they responded very well and the hall was JAM PACKED TO SAY THE LEAST>ALL along 2and half hour concert all the fans of yesters of MMI PMI TS AND KRISH sat and stood in full attendance in spite of the fact it was Tamil New Year EVe and also CSK match was at the Chepauk on 12th evening.The organisation of the event was SIMPLY SUPERB one.Full credit goes to the parnership of the DUO S/S JAYARAMAKRISHNAN AND SLS AS HE IS known SLS NARASIMHAN for the FANTASTIC efforts.SLS was incharge of AUDIO and it was like MMI came down and treated us with his company of TS PMI AND KRISH.JRK SHOULD BEcomplimented for his silent and sincere work which brought out such great musical event.Arkay organisers did a fine job.KUDOS TO ALL

kapali

Post by kapali »

It was interesting to read your appreciative account of the replaying of the entire 1966 MMI concert in the April 12 function and highlighting the Sarasamadana as the main piece of the concert. In this connection I recollect. reading a long article in The Hindu more than a decade ago about an MMI concert some time in the fifties held at Abhiramapuram. It related in detail how MMI and Chowdiah were having a detailed swarams session for SArasamadhana with each trying to outdo the other (the crowd wondering how. This climax will come to an end), finally reaching a grand crescendo to the great delight of the audience! I wonder whether any recording of that concert is available, if any.

kapali

Post by kapali »

It was interesting to read your appreciative account of the replaying of the entire 1966 MMI concert in the April 12 function and highlighting the Sarasamadana as the main piece of the concert. In this connection I recollect. reading a long article in The Hindu more than a decade ago about an MMI concert some time in the fifties held at Abhiramapuram. It related in detail how MMI and Chowdiah were having a detailed swarams session for SArasamadhana with each trying to outdo the other (the crowd wondering how. This climax will come to an end), finally reaching a grand crescendo to the great delight of the audience! I wonder whether any recording of that concert is available, if any.

kapali

Post by kapali »

kapali

Post by kapali »

By clicking mistake there is a repetition and so posts785 and 786 may be deleted.

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?xnik10ce7qkyxup
This climax will come to an end), finally reaching a grand crescendo to the great delight of the audience! I wonder whether any recording of that concert is available, if any.
A subdued Chowdiah instead . The crescendo starts but for some reason he gives in to the Thani . Looks like an issue with his instrument .Halfway through the thani , there is a lovely sound of the violin being tuned .
Nevertheless a very haunting piece .

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

DEAR KAPALI
I CAN FIND OUT AND HELP IN UR SEARCH.I F IREMEMBER RIGHT THE SAID CONCERT WAS AT GURUKUALM IN ABIRMAPURAM.PL REPLY!
VENU SUNDAR

kapali

Post by kapali »

Dear Venu, Perhaps what you mentioned as at Gurukulam may be correct.Since I read in The Hindu more than a decade ago I do not remember which year in the fifties that the article referred to.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Hindu writeup of replay of MMI concert that was discussed
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article3380189.ece

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Encouraged by the overwhelming response of rasikas for the recorded concert replayed at "ARKAY CONVENTION CENTRE" at Mylapore I am uploading an old 1938 Gramaphone Record of the Legend MMI " Thaye
Yezhaipal " in bairavi . I have used audio correction software for 78 rpm records and please respond with comments to further improve the recording : for e.g. Should I change the speed etc. Please follow this link
http://www.mediafire.com/?7w7q9rxa7nno2cw

bagyamananthu41

Post by bagyamananthu41 »

courtesy rasikapriya group..

From: annaswami narayanaswami <anarayanaswami@yahoo.com >
To: F-SwaminathanVL <swaminathanvl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:38:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Madurai Mani Iyer interview in 1960

Following is a translation of an Interview given by Shri Madurai Mani Iyer to All India Radio (A.I.R) recorded during early 60s. Seniors who heard him those days may enjoy this more
A.I.R: Namaskaaram. I would like to record your reminiscences about your gurukulavaasam. Whom you did study with at the very beginning ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I learnt under Shri Rajam Bhagavathar in Madurai
A.I.R: Whose Disciple was Rajam Bhagavathar?
Madurai Mani Iyer: He was a disciple of Ettayapuram Ramachandra Bhagavatar. My Paternal uncle Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer and the nagaswara vidwan Madurai Ponnuswami pillai, were also disciples of Ramachandra Bhagavathar.
A.I.R: How long would you have learnt from Rajam Bhagavatar and when did you start performing ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I learnt for 2 years from him. We lived in a portion of his house itself on rent. So, it was very convenient to learn from Rajam Bhagavathar.
Madurai Mani Iyer: After that, Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar established a music school in Madurai in which Rajam Bhagavatar was appointed as a teacher. So I happened to join that school. I learnt there too for about a year and a half. After that I started performing in concerts.
A.I.R: Can you recollect your very first concert where ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I had been to the Sivagangai area along with my father who had friends there. My first concert was held there, in a place called Alavaakottai, during the kumbhaabhishekam festival. Since the organizers of that festival were well-known to my father, my first concert took place!
A.I.R: Who played pakkavaadyam (accompaniment) for your first concert?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Nattam Seetharama Iyer, who lived in Kumbakonam, played the Violin. Tiruvaarur Kunju Iyer alias Rajagopala Iyer played the mridangam.
A.I.R: How old were you then ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I was 12 years old then.
A.I.R: So you started performing from then?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Yes I started performing from then on.
A.I.R: In order to get so many concert opportunities at that age itself, you must have had help is in it?
Madurai Mani Iyer: What helped me was my paternal uncle, Pushpavanam Iyer, had been so famous that people who had listened to his music would readily agree to hold my concert if someone recommended my name.
Madurai Mani Iyer: My only responsibility was to perform well in the concert that had been arranged. Getting the concert opportunity itself wasnt very difficult. Had to perform well in the arranged concert, thats all. It would make things even easier.
A.I.R: Then, as you got older, your voice would have changed.
Madurai Mani Iyer: Yes, my voice changed. When I first sang concerts, I used to sing to a shruti of 5 kattai, 4.5 kattai. My voice (shaareeram) used to be very facile. Later, my voice dropped in shruti, way down to 1 kattai. It all happened quite rapidly in the space of 2 months. And even at 1 kattai, my voice could only reach the taara Shadja for the highs and the madhya Shadja for the lows.
A.I.R: A range of only 1 sthaayi (Octave)?
Madurai Mani Iyer: 1 sthaayi, exactly, effectively thats all it would speak (!) Singing higher than the taara Shadja was difficult, and so was singing below the madhya Shadja. Hence I was constrained to sing within 1 sthaayi at that time.
A.I.R: So you must have done a lot of saadhakam at that time to get a handle on your voice and strengthen it.
Madurai Mani Iyer: I practised for about 3 hours everyday with the tamburaa.
A.I.R: How did you practice then ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I used to set the shruti high and then try to hold the taara Shadja which used to be difficult, but I would practice this for a while, I would take a suitable raga and practice the phrases D N S, P D N S, M P D N S etc, along with the proper bhaavam of the raaga, in order to try and strengthen the Shadja then I would proceed upward to halt on R and then take a look at G and then try M. I only managed to reach the M this way. Then I would lower the shruti to 2.5, 2, kattai and sing the high notes a little easier, and then move to 1.5 kattai and sing with even more ease. I Had to practice really hard, had to sing open-throated and practice hard to bring the voice into shape.
A.I.R: In your career, you must have heard the concerts of a lot of vidvaans. can you talk about it a little bit ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: In Madurai, I have heard a lot of concerts of Mazhavaraayanendal Subbarama Bhagavatar. Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar, I have heard a lot of his musical discoures he also used to perform concerts, in his performances, there would be a lot of Tyagaraja compositions and other great pieces, the discourses would be very musical.
Also in Madurai, there was Nagaswami Bhagavatarvaal who sang a lot of Tyagaraja kritis in his concerts. He would not repeat the kritis he sang from concert to concert in the many concerts I heard! I had a great opportunity to listen to a lot of different kritis of Tyagaraja, all those in vogue as well as many rare ones. he was a disciple of the Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar, a prime disciple of Tyagaraja.
I have heard concerts of Karaikkudi Brothers with Dakshinamurti Pillai on the mrdangam, Kancheepuram Naina Pillai, with Malaikottai Govindaswami Pillai on Violin and Dakshinamurti Pillai on Mridangam etc.
I have heard lots and lots of concerts of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar & Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer.
Then I have listened to Veena Dhanammal. And I have listened to lots of performances of great naagasvara vidvaans during temple festivals, and night processions staying up all night long and walking behind them.
A.I.R: What is your opinion of current performance methods ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: The Current performance methods setup by various senior musicians of our time and their aesthetics, I must say I like it and hold it in high regard. And I try to proceed along that route as much as possible.
A.I.R: What is your opinion regarding shruti ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: You mean setting an aadhaara shruti (base shruthi) it should be set such that the taara Shadja is easy to reach not too easy however otherwise it would be floating and fragile. It should not be too easy, if you hold the taara Shadja in an extended manner i.e. kaarvai, you should be able to hold it with firmness and strength, without tiring. Only then you would be able to sing the further higher notes like R, G, M, easily and attuned to shruti. A lot of musical phrasing, in our current music, is in the upper reaches. These are also the notes that are heard with clarity and which grab the peoples attention. If you sing in the lower octave, people nearby can hear it clearly and only knowledgeable rasikas would like it.
However, we are required to sing a lot in the upper octave these days, and for that one should not tire. Even though there are mikes and speakers these days, one should be careful not to tire, since otherwise you would slip from the shruti. if that happens, your singing will not be fulfilling or pleasing. And if you dont satisfy the listeners with your singing in that range, then there is no point in singing in the lower reaches either, having lost their attention.
The aadhaara Shadja should also be held well and with firmness. Even if you are only able to intone the lower N D P in a soft manner, thats OK. B ut the taara Shadja is very important, it should be held with strength and firmness.
A.I.R: In singing svaras, i.e. kalpanaasvaras, you seem to have a unique style could you let us know about the evolution of your style?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Unique style? Really not. Mazhavaraayanendal Subbarama Bhagavatar used to sing svaras like this. When I was a student and a novice performer, I have heard a lot of his music he used to sing svaras even for many rare raagas, his sarvalaghu manner of svara singing used to be very good. I tried to sing like that and develop my svara singing, my style is a direct outgrowth of that.
A.I.R: Thanks for that information. In svara singing, people sing tisram, misram, etc. what is your opinion on this arithmetic (kaNakku)?
Madurai Mani Iyer: As long as the raga bhaavam is not spoiled, there is nothing wrong in singing arithmetic swara prasthara with thisra, misra etc. If the voice admits of this exercise, and if the arithmetic is also interesting, then there is no problem at all. We can all be happy and enjoy.
People who are well-qualified only should attempt it. Everyone need not feel a compulsion to engage in this. If we do arithmetic, troubling ourselves, losing raga bhaavam and losing the shruti also in the process, there is no point. The sukha bhaavam in the cutcheri would be lost. Without losing sight of the overall sukha bhaavam and the raaga bhaavam, when someone who is intelligent, has a strong memory and has had good association with laya vidvaans, does this arithmetic, then we also can enjoy it and appreciate it.
A.I.R: What advice do you have for the youngsters who are learning music and desire to perform, and others who have just begun to perform ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: They should hear many concerts of the senior vidvaans, ie the established vidvaans. Because, however much they are talented, since they lack the experience, their music will not be sufficient or fulfilling. They should observe how the senior vidvaans make their concerts a success and please all varieties of listeners, how they use their voices in a concert hall, how they employ the various thick and thin shades in their voices, how they plan their concerts, these are all to be learnt only by direct observation. It does not happen otherwise, however well one sings by themselves or practices their music.
They have to hear the senior vidvaans over and over again, no other way. But, they dont have to imitate them. It will all jell together over time as they keep singing, and hearing the senior vidvaans attentively.
They should pay sufficient attention to setting the shruti before singing. They should give sufficient time to the accompanists to adjust their instruments to the shruti. Before proceeding to sing, they should attune themselves to the shruti by intoning Sa-Pa-Sa in a manner audible just to themselves. Steadying themselves thus, if they sing, there would be no problem. If in the midst of a concert, the shruti drifts, they should adjust it properly and then only should continue. If the shruti wavers, sukha bhaavamm will be lost, the felicity will be lost. The more and more we are attuned to shruti, the easier the music will flow. Hence one must pay great attention to it.
A.I.R: Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and your pointers to all aspiring musicians. Namaskaaram.
Madurai Mani Iyer: Namaskaaram!

I am not sure whether tis interview is already posted here...

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Sir,

Post 789 : Yes it was at Sankara Gurukulam, Abhiramapuram.

Post 793 : A part of it is posted in the website Gaana kalaadara Madurai Mani Iyer. But, this is a full version.

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

sir,

The concert at Ayodhya mandapam, west mambalam is available for download at sangeethapriya.org

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

I read that the 1966 concert recording was juiced up :-) for the listening session. The quality of the audio version in circulation is not so great. Would it be possible to post the upgraded audio of that concert. Thx.

ranjanimalavi

AIR interview of Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Don't know whether it was already posted.

Following is a translation of an Interview given by Shri Madurai Mani Iyer to All India Radio (A.I.R) recorded during early 60s. Seniors who heard him those days may enjoy this even more !

A.I.R: Namaskaaram. I would like to record your reminiscences about your gurukulavaasam. Whom you did study with at the very beginning ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I learnt under Shri Rajam Bhagavathar in Madurai

A.I.R: Whose Disciple was Rajam Bhagavathar?
Madurai Mani Iyer: He was a disciple of Ettayapuram Ramachandra Bhagavatar. My Paternal uncle Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer and the nagaswara vidwan Madurai Ponnuswami pillai, were also disciples of Ramachandra Bhagavathar.

A.I.R: How long would you have learnt from Rajam Bhagavatar and when did you start performing ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I learnt for 2 years from him. We lived in a portion of his house itself on rent. So, it was very convenient to learn from Rajam Bhagavathar.

Madurai Mani Iyer: After that, Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar established a music school in Madurai in which Rajam Bhagavatar was appointed as a teacher. So I happened to join that school. I learnt there too for about a year and a half. After that I started performing in concerts.

A.I.R: Can you recollect your very first concert where ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I had been to the Sivagangai area along with my father who had friends there. My first concert was held there, in a place called Alavaakottai, during the kumbhaabhishekam festival. Since the organizers of that festival were well-known to my father, my first concert took place!

A.I.R: Who played pakkavaadyam (accompaniment) for your first concert?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Nattam Seetharama Iyer, who lived in Kumbakonam, played the Violin. Tiruvaarur Kunju Iyer alias Rajagopala Iyer played the mridangam.

A.I.R: How old were you then ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I was 12 years old then.

A.I.R: So you started performing from then?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Yes I started performing from then on.

A.I.R: In order to get so many concert opportunities at that age itself, you must have had help is in it?
Madurai Mani Iyer: What helped me was my paternal uncle, Pushpavanam Iyer, had been so famous that people who had listened to his music would readily agree to hold my concert if someone recommended my name.
Madurai Mani Iyer: My only responsibility was to perform well in the concert that had been arranged. Getting the concert opportunity itself wasnt very difficult. Had to perform well in the arranged concert, thats all. It would make things even easier.

A.I.R: Then, as you got older, your voice would have changed.
Madurai Mani Iyer: Yes, my voice changed. When I first sang concerts, I used to sing to a shruti of 5 kattai, 4.5 kattai. My voice (shaareeram) used to be very facile. Later, my voice dropped in shruti, way down to 1 kattai. It all happened quite rapidly in the space of 2 months. And even at 1 kattai, my voice could only reach the taara Shadja for the highs and the madhya Shadja for the lows.

A.I.R: A range of only 1 sthaayi (Octave)?
Madurai Mani Iyer: 1 sthaayi, exactly, effectively thats all it would speak (!) Singing higher than the taara Shadja was difficult, and so was singing below the madhya Shadja. Hence I was constrained to sing within 1 sthaayi at that time.

A.I.R: So you must have done a lot of saadhakam at that time to get a handle on your voice and strengthen it.
Madurai Mani Iyer: I practised for about 3 hours everyday with the tamburaa.

A.I.R: How did you practice then ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: I used to set the shruti high and then try to hold the taara Shadja which used to be difficult, but I would practice this for a while, I would take a suitable raga and practice the phrases D N S, P D N S, M P D N S etc, along with the proper bhaavam of the raaga, in order to try and strengthen the Shadja then I would proceed upward to halt on R and then take a look at G and then try M. I only managed to reach the M this way. Then I would lower the shruti to 2.5, 2, kattai and sing the high notes a little easier, and then move to 1.5 kattai and sing with even more ease. I Had to practice really hard, had to sing open-throated and practice hard to bring the voice into shape.

A.I.R: In your career, you must have heard the concerts of a lot of vidvaans. can you talk about it a little bit ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: In Madurai, I have heard a lot of concerts of Mazhavaraayanendal Subbarama Bhagavatar. Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar, I have heard a lot of his musical discoures he also used to perform concerts, in his performances, there would be a lot of Tyagaraja compositions and other great pieces, the discourses would be very musical.
Also in Madurai, there was Nagaswami Bhagavatarvaal who sang a lot of Tyagaraja kritis in his concerts. He would not repeat the kritis he sang from concert to concert in the many concerts I heard! I had a great opportunity to listen to a lot of different kritis of Tyagaraja, all those in vogue as well as many rare ones. he was a disciple of the Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar, a prime disciple of Tyagaraja.
I have heard concerts of Karaikkudi Brothers with Dakshinamurti Pillai on the mrdangam, Kancheepuram Naina Pillai, with Malaikottai Govindaswami Pillai on Violin and Dakshinamurti Pillai on Mridangam etc.
I have heard lots and lots of concerts of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar & Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer.
Then I have listened to Veena Dhanammal. And I have listened to lots of performances of great naagasvara vidvaans during temple festivals, and night processions staying up all night long and walking behind them.

A.I.R: What is your opinion of current performance methods ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: The Current performance methods setup by various senior musicians of our time and their aesthetics, I must say I like it and hold it in high regard. And I try to proceed along that route as much as possible.

A.I.R: What is your opinion regarding shruti ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: You mean setting an aadhaara shruti (base shruthi) it should be set such that the taara Shadja is easy to reach not too easy however otherwise it would be floating and fragile. It should not be too easy, if you hold the taara Shadja in an extended manner i.e. kaarvai, you should be able to hold it with firmness and strength, without tiring. Only then you would be able to sing the further higher notes like R, G, M, easily and attuned to shruti. A lot of musical phrasing, in our current music, is in the upper reaches. These are also the notes that are heard with clarity and which grab the peoples attention. If you sing in the lower octave, people nearby can hear it clearly and only knowledgeable rasikas would like it.
However, we are required to sing a lot in the upper octave these days, and for that one should not tire. Even though there are mikes and speakers these days, one should be careful not to tire, since otherwise you would slip from the shruti. if that happens, your singing will not be fulfilling or pleasing. And if you dont satisfy the listeners with your singing in that range, then there is no point in singing in the lower reaches either, having lost their attention.
The aadhaara Shadja should also be held well and with firmness. Even if you are only able to intone the lower N D P in a soft manner, thats OK. B ut the taara Shadja is very important, it should be held with strength and firmness.

A.I.R: In singing svaras, i.e. kalpanaasvaras, you seem to have a unique style could you let us know about the evolution of your style?
Madurai Mani Iyer: Unique style? Really not. Mazhavaraayanendal Subbarama Bhagavatar used to sing svaras like this. When I was a student and a novice performer, I have heard a lot of his music he used to sing svaras even for many rare raagas, his sarvalaghu manner of svara singing used to be very good. I tried to sing like that and develop my svara singing, my style is a direct outgrowth of that.

A.I.R: Thanks for that information. In svara singing, people sing tisram, misram, etc. what is your opinion on this arithmetic (kaNakku)?
Madurai Mani Iyer: As long as the raga bhaavam is not spoiled, there is nothing wrong in singing arithmetic swara prasthara with thisra, misra etc. If the voice admits of this exercise, and if the arithmetic is also interesting, then there is no problem at all. We can all be happy and enjoy.
People who are well-qualified only should attempt it. Everyone need not feel a compulsion to engage in this. If we do arithmetic, troubling ourselves, losing raga bhaavam and losing the shruti also in the process, there is no point. The sukha bhaavam in the cutcheri would be lost. Without losing sight of the overall sukha bhaavam and the raaga bhaavam, when someone who is intelligent, has a strong memory and has had good association with laya vidvaans, does this arithmetic, then we also can enjoy it and appreciate it.

A.I.R: What advice do you have for the youngsters who are learning music and desire to perform, and others who have just begun to perform ?
Madurai Mani Iyer: They should hear many concerts of the senior vidvaans, ie the established vidvaans. Because, however much they are talented, since they lack the experience, their music will not be sufficient or fulfilling. They should observe how the senior vidvaans make their concerts a success and please all varieties of listeners, how they use their voices in a concert hall, how they employ the various thick and thin shades in their voices, how they plan their concerts, these are all to be learnt only by direct observation. It does not happen otherwise, however well one sings by themselves or practices their music.
They have to hear the senior vidvaans over and over again, no other way. But, they dont have to imitate them. It will all jell together over time as they keep singing, and hearing the senior vidvaans attentively.
They should pay sufficient attention to setting the shruti before singing. They should give sufficient time to the accompanists to adjust their instruments to the shruti. Before proceeding to sing, they should attune themselves to the shruti by intoning Sa-Pa-Sa in a manner audible just to themselves. Steadying themselves thus, if they sing, there would be no problem. If in the midst of a concert, the shruti drifts, they should adjust it properly and then only should continue. If the shruti wavers, sukha bhaavamm will be lost, the felicity will be lost. The more and more we are attuned to shruti, the easier the music will flow. Hence one must pay great attention to it.

A.I.R: Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and your pointers to all aspiring musicians. Namaskaaram.

Madurai Mani Iyer: Namaskaaram!

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Sorry I didn't refresh the page before posting, as its already there.

Raman

cacm

Post by cacm »

PLEASE SEE POST #S 20-22 UNDER VIDWANS& VIDUSHIS-" MMI CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS OCT28,2012 CHENNAI"SUB SECTION for CLEVELAND ARADHANA 2012 MMI MUSICAL TRIBUTES COVERAGE

perarulalan

MMI & Swara Raga Sudha

Post by perarulalan »

Dear Balu Sir / Prof. VKV / Venu Sir,
Has Shri MMI sung Swara Raga Sudha in Sankarabharanam, in any of his concerts? If so, any chance that there is a recording???

Thanks and Regards
Perarulalan