radha jayalakshmy vintage music - Bantureethi

Post by VK RAMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25osFeL ... re=related
யாழ்பாணத்தில் நடந்த கச்சேரி

cpblog

Re: radha jayalakshmy vintage music - Bantureethi

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

As this folder indicated "RJ Vintage Music", we set out to complete what we did not do in our
first posting of R&J at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.

We have managed to retrieve, restore and load the 1962 concert of the Vidushis with the vintage masters
Krishnamani (Mridangam) and R.S. Gopalkrishnan (Violin).

Also, through these pages we are letting Sri. V.K. Raman and rightful members know
that we selected a frame from the Bantureethi youtube posting - we don't know whom to
acknowledge? :)

Thanking you,
CPBlog Team

varsha

Post by varsha »

That frame is from their three hour video concert produced by a malayasian company , decades ago .- Columbia music house - This was a Jaffna concert

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Thank you Varsha, for your kind information.

We are sending out a 'shoutout' through these columns to any respected elderly member
there, who can post some information on the two great Vidwans Sri. R.S. Gopalkrishnan and
Sri. Krishnamani. We know that both of them have performed at the the Madras Music Academy,
but for the sake of posterity (before everyone disappears from those great eras)it would be nice to
come by some information.

Or, maybe, some member can draw our attention to where such information is.

Thank you for your kindness,

CPBlog Team

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

To CPBlog Team....I checked up with my brother Mannargudi Easwaran. To the best of his knowledge, his Guru Sri K U Krishnamani Iyer was a constant accompaniment to R & J and DKP in those days. His view is that there was only one Krishnamani Iyer in those days playing for R & J. Don't forget Easwaran himself had played a zillion katcheries for them in his days as well...

As for RS G it is my belief that he hails from Mylapore and was an AIR artist. People in the know may please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the upload.

Regards

Sam

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, Sam is right. Sri R.S. Gopalakrishnan, who was based in Mylapore, was also the guru of Nagai Muralidharan.

He also accompanied Smt MSS quite extensively and I think he might have recorded the world famous Venkatesa suprabhatam LP with her. Perhaps Cienu can add to this?

I am not an elderly member, but my grandfather Sri Kalpathi Ramanathan knew Smts. Radha-Jayalakshmi very well during the mid 1950s and served alongside Sri RSG at AIR.

Sam, IIRC I think your sister used to live behind my grandfather/grand aunt's house in Burkit Road. I was only a child then, but I distinctly remember your brother coming to visit the house at that time.

cienu

Post by cienu »

mahavishnu wrote:Yes, Sam is right. Sri R.S. Gopalakrishnan, who was based in Mylapore, was also the guru of Nagai Muralidharan.
He also accompanied Smt MSS quite extensively and I think he might have recorded the world famous Venkatesa suprabhatam LP with her. Perhaps Cienu can add to this?
Sri R.S.Gopalakrishnan accompanied Smt MSS on her 1963 tour to Edinburgh and Cairo. The other accompanying artists on the trip were Sri T.K.Murthy and Sri Alangudi Ramachandran. And Ramesh is absolutely right on the Venkatesa Suprabatham LP which was recorded just before the 1963 trip.
Please find below a picture of the artists. From the Jamakalam , this looks like a wedding concert at Hotel Ashoka, Chennai. (Smt Vijaya Rajendran is playing the Tambura and providing vocal accompaniment)
Last edited by cienu on 30 Apr 2012, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

That is a wonderful picture. Thanks, Cienu.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks for the image. Who is the ghatam artist?

cienu

Post by cienu »

mohan wrote:Thanks for the image. Who is the ghatam artist?
The Ghatam Vidwan in the picture is Sri Alangudi Ramachandran.
However for the Suprabatham CD, there was no Ghatam accompaniment.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

"Sam, IIRC I think your sister used to live behind my grandfather/grand aunt's house in Burkit Road. I was only a child then, but I distinctly remember your brother coming to visit the house at that time."

Dead right Mahavishnu! My eldest sister used to live there and I was a constant visitor there. It was rather a large house in a larger compound with some factastic trees. Big white birds used to live there constantly making cackling noises thru out the day. I wonder you recall that?

Another little tidbit about Sri RSG's sir house, it was right in front of the mylapore kulam, across the bus stand (21c?). Did Chitoor venkatesan live there as well? What I remember is also that they used to have a small tuck shop in the front foyer of the house and we used to buy delightful homemade "maavu urundai"..( kallu maadhiri irrukkum with a delightful dose of ginger in it) before taking the 23A bus to go to nungambakkam ( anna and I used to study in PS High, but live in Nungambakkam) where we used to live.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Cienu: Did you get my email? Thanks.

cacm

Post by cacm »

R.S.Gopalakrishnan's name is STILL on front wall of the house he lived in! Right opposite the Teppakolam(KAPALI TEMPLE) bus stop in mylapore. VKV

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I am hearing this - from 1965 - bAlar arangam sangeetha sammELan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_u9tLk684

mahaganapathim - how they elongate mahaganathI..manasa ? What impeccable brighas?

Their gait and the accompaniments by MSA and SrI Krishnamani - very exquisite polished - "the golden era" standard! Each complex sollu just apt for the occasion. Increase in toppi volume where appropriate.

The AbhOGi - sabhapathikku had nice placements of syllables fully aware of dhIRgas ( nedil sollus) in uraitA..RpOdumE and in vE... ru puNyam paNNa vEnduma.

Extremely aware of the musical flow of each composition!

To imbibe a tough bANi like that GNB's and sing as a duo is nothing short of a feat - miraculous!

I just wanted to write as though I discovered them today as viduShis. Pardon my ebullience.