Vignaraja @ Nadasurabhi on 20.5.2012

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kssr

Vignaraja @ Nadasurabhi on 20.5.2012

Post by kssr »

I heard Vignaraja's 6 speed varnams on Youtube. Quite impressive. I also interestingly found his voice to be one of the rare naturally briga laden variety (rolling voice!- a typical translation from tamil) - something like TNS of yester years.

The invitation reads as follows:

Nadasurabhi Cultural Association, (Regd.)
662, 6th Cross, 17th Main , 3rd Block, Koramangala, Bangalore.560 034.
Phone: 25539368. Email:nadasurabhi@yahoo.co.uk Web: http://nadasurabhi.org

Cordially invites you for the Monthly Programme on
Sunday, 20th May 2012 at 4.15 PM

Venue: The Indian Heritage Academy Hall,
6th Block, Near Police Station, Koramangala, Bangalore. 560 095.

A Grand Vocal Recital
By

Vidwan Sampagodu S. Vighnaraja - Vocal
Vidwan B.K.Raghu -Violin
Vidwan A.S.N.Swamy - Mridangam
Vidwan Raghavendra Prakash - Ghatam

All are Welcome.

Sri. Vignaraja comes in the sishya parampara of legendary vidwan Sri. G.N.Balasubramaniam. With prodigious talent in Carnatic music from a very early age, he has specialized in singing complex varnams in six speeds. This has recently earned him the title of “Shatkaala Kalaa Gaana Prathibhamani from a reputed organistion in Bangalore. He is a graded artist of AIR. Besides being a highly talented vocalist, he is also an accomplished Carnatic flautist and Carnatic guitarist.

Sri. Vignaraja is currently the Head of the Instrument Section of the Temple of Fine Arts in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. He has given hundreds of performances in India and abroad including regular concerts at Fort High School Ramanavami festivals, Gayana Samaja, and most sabhas in Chennai. In fact Sri.Vignaraj has sung in Nadasurabhi as a Youth Artist more than ten years back and by his rich voice and commendable performance, had been identified as a potential great talent.

Sam Swaminathan

Re: Vignaraja @ Nadasurabhi on 20.5.2012

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Recently Sri Vignaraja travelled to NZ for a dance arangetram and a few enthusiasts arranged two concerts, one vocal and the other one, Flute. He was accompanied by Sri Ashok Malur on Violin and Sri Suresh Ramachandra on Mridangam and yours faithfully on Kanjira ( just one concert ). I have to agree with Kssr in that Sri V was brilliant in both forms of carnatic music and excelled in delivering his final product. All of us thoroughly enjoyed his music.

I wish him a bright future in the carnatic music scene.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Did he give you a taste of the six speed varnam? Kindly give the list of songs- if you remember or have noted down.

MV

Post by MV »

kssr wrote:Did he give you a taste of the six speed varnam? Kindly give the list of songs- if you remember or have noted down.
No six-speed varnam. I came when he was singing Maha Ganapahtim in Nattai.

What sticks in the mind is a beautiful Malayamarutham Alapanai full of brigha followed by Manasa Yetula and a sprightly Kalpana Swaram. H also sang a vivadhi ragam alapanai on request and quickly wrapped it up. Late start etc etc. Still good sample of his style-will definitely look out for a proper concert from him somewhere :)

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

1. Varnam - Chalamela - Nattaikurinji - SRN (7 Speeds)
2. Ganapthiye - Kalyani - His Father (RNS)
3. Kamalamba Samrakshatumam - Ananda Bhairavi - MD (R)
4. Vara Raga Laya - Chenchu Kambhoji - T
5. Ananda Nadam Aduvar - Poorvikalyani - NS (RNS)
6. Javali - Marubari - Khamas - DS
7. RTP - Keeravani
Pallavi: Gajamukhane Sumukhane Pari Paliso Sada Girisha Thanaya
Ragamalika: Mohanam, Ranjani, Sucharitha
8. Thani
9. Jagadodharana - Kapi - PD
10. Pibare - Ahir Bhairavi - SB
11. Mangalam

Very Good Concert by Vignaraja
The excellent chemistry between the artist on stage uplifted the concert.

Varnam was effortlessly done in 7 speeds. Kept counting whether he is going for 6 or 8, and it was 7.
The Keeravani RTP was sung for more than an hour.
His alapana was in three phases and it was very good.

Every piece was sung nicely.

Raman

Sam Swaminathan

"The excellent chemistry between the artist (sic) on stage uplifted the concert"

But then, their names did not deserve a mention in the post!

Ranjinimalavi...you had so much time to note down the various items presented, but would not extend the courtesy to the supporting artists? Vignaraja by himself did not present the concert and if according to you the concert was "very good", it was certainly due to the unstinted support of the accompanists as well.

This view had been expressed time and again to the people who subscribe to this blog, but some how it gets repeated, much to the unhappiness of rasikas.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

But then, their names did not deserve a mention in the post!
Their names are mentioned in kssr's post (#1).

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Mr Sam,

Like Srikant1987 mentioned, the first post itself is an invitation with the artists names.

I thought it was redundant to mention it again.

I have been posting in this forum for few years now.
You can look at my postings before, and I have always mentioned the artist names.

There is no need for such harsh comment, as it is part of an existing thread.

Raman

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

I have enjoyed ranjanimalavi's postings over time (would like to meet you sometime since both of us are in blr) and I too came to same conclusion as srikanth1987. I don't think we need to extend this discussion.

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

People should start ignoring such posts and move on. No need to prove your honesty, that too over the internet. 8)

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

I must add that I have enjoyed Sam's posting too! So let's indeed move on.

Sam Swaminathan

My unreserved apologies to Ranjanimalavi for my post which was totally unwanted and written with out a minute of reflection. Regards

kssr

Post by kssr »

There is another good review by another of our esteemed forumites
http://kpjayan.wordpress.com/

A very impressive concert indeed. Vighnaraj attempts to do great things and we wish him all the best. He is still quite young and he will surely achieve perfection with time. Laya control is superb. Sruti is the troublesome area in all manodharma areas- esp. swarams. He can probably step back a little bit in speed and try to perfect the same and then increase it to his current level. Would be nice if he can still go and get the guidance of a good guru which will take him to a much higher rung.

In this concert, the choice and sequence of ragas, composers, pace of songs were well arranged. Keeravani was probably a bit overdone. Quite a satisfactory experience.

dikshitarbhaktha

Post by dikshitarbhaktha »

been a while since i posted here :)
nevertheless, attended this concert last sunday at koramangala.
having heard sri vighnaraja over the past decade, looks like his priorities have not changed....laya and speed are his focus!!
however he should bear in mind that the mother ('shruthi') comes first !!!
excellent shaareeram and clarity of brigas...with splendid confidence and stage presence too!!!

i guess i am more sceptical than kssr - i think sri vighnaraja has made up his mind on what he wants to focus on and present...there's not going to be a change in that unfortunately :(
i only wish he does...

all the best!!!

kssr

Post by kssr »

Item 2 in the list of songs, Ganapathi Sthuthi, has been composed by guru and father of Vignaraja and his name is Sangeetha varidhi D S Suryanarayana Bhat.

kssr

Post by kssr »

You may download the concert audio file. This is being posted with the permission of the artist.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lpl1a6gf230f7ss