Abhishek Raghuram at SICA Ottawa, May 25, 2012

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
cmlover

Abhishek Raghuram at SICA Ottawa, May 25, 2012

Post by cmlover »

Vocal: Abhishek Raghuram
Violin: Vittal Ramamurthy
Mridangam: Anantha R. Krishnan

The CM enthusiasts at OTTAWA were treated to an evening of exciting versatile Carnatic Music by the team of Abhishek Raghuram . In spite of my busy Family schedule I am glad I found the time to attend and if I do not share my enjoyment with my friends (the many Abhishek Fans) at this Forum I certainly will feel guilty :D
Song List
1. Sarasuda Ninne kOri (varNam) – Saveri -Adi – Kothavashal Venkatrama Iyer
2. SadinchenE Arabhi – Adi- Thyagaraja
3. Bhavanuta nA hridayamuna –Mohanam –Adi- Thyagaraja
4. O Jagadamba nanu – Anandabhairavi –Adi – Shyama Sastry
5. Dviraga RTP KalyaNi/KeeravANi –KhaNDajAti TripuDai KhaNDa naDai
Pallavi: KamalAvadani kamaladaLanayani vANi bhavAni KalyANi/keeravANi
5A Happy Birthday to Vittal (audience joining in)
6. SA pasya Kausalya - Jonpuri - Adi – Pancapakesa sastry (valmiki Ramayana based)
7. nAdamAna unnai ennuL kANa – Saranga -??? (Lakshman help!)
8. Chandra ChUDa shankara - Darbari Kanada - Purandara
9. Muddukare Yashoda - Kurinji – Adi – Annammacharya
10. PavamAna (MangaLam)

Abhishek made a sedate start with the Saveri varNam executed in classic style. With a very short but adequate aalaapana the pancaratna Arabhi was quickly delivered flawless. Anantha Krishnan pleasantly and adequately handled the laya compartment. A weak aalaapana of Mohanam followed, without Vittal participating and a quick rendering of Bhavanuta with kalpana swaram at bhavanuta which however was melodious. He tried to snare Vittal with fast ‘water-fall’ swaras reminiscent of the ‘electric’ SSI in his prime but Vittal benevelontly looked on but played quite subdued though Ananta Krishnan was quite energetic. The audience got ignited and I was getting ready for the main piece. As Abhishek launched into Ananda bhairavi I said this is it but it was not to be! As Abhishek started the raga placidly I guessed that Mari vere was coming and again I was wrong though it was O Jagadamba which was equally appealing to me. He deftly handled the raga with all its beauty letting us enjoy bit by bit. Suddenly Vittal sprang into action with masterful LGJ strokes that ‘melted’ our hearts. It was indeed a bhava-laden rendition with the text-book prescribed chitta swarams by Abhishek with Vittal taking equal credits. What no kalpana swaramas! I resigned myself. But the best was yet to come.

As Abhishek started the second half it was a quiet start and kalyani showed up but not in its majesty. It was like taking the Goods train while you expected the Express! He left the aalaapana to Vittal abruptly who continued wth a quizzical look but was more lively, as from the audience reaction. Abhishek continued but it did not seem right! Was he slipping since it no longer was Kalyani. Abhishek opened up and it was clearly Keeravani. What was he up to? Vittal caught up and clearly defined the raga with excellent prayogas playing up the Nishada, the jiva swaram as I mulled “innamum sandehap padalaama” :D Abhishek briskly launched into the taanam. Earlier he had complained that the AC was too high and wanted it to be toned down but since the whole complex was centrally air-conditioned the organizers could not comply. But then Abhishek took advantage of the chill to produce excellent brigas that embellished the taanam to the delight of the audience. Now Abhishek revealed his hand: it was to be an im promptu RTP which even the accompanists were not privy to! As he outlined the pallavi lines the accompanists settled down with a smile. The rest is History. As the pallavi started he was deftly alternating between kalyani and keeravani like an expert tight-rope walker. It was a sheer beuty with Bhuvneshvari (Kalyani) dueling with Vageshwari (Keeravani). Vittal was amazingly supportive often providing new ideas to Abhishek to experiment with on the spot. The swarams that followed were from out-of-this world. Initially Abhshek played with madhyama varjya prayogams which I thought was approprite for the discrimination. But then he added the prati and shuddha madhyma intonating them and showing that he was a master of controlling the swaras impeccably. I have no words to describe the experience. It was a divine experience. We saw before our eyes the creation of the raga “keerakalyani” !

The tani that followed was short and nothing remarkable and also I am not competent to comment on the subtleties of laya. It was a surprise when Ananta Krishnan announced that it was the birthday of Vittal as the audience delightfully chimed in wishing him to his great surprise!

Abhishek followed up with the Jonpuri sApasya the masterpiece of SSI. Followed by a beautiful ‘heart-melting’ saranga. As time was running out he delivered a crisp Darbari Kanada ‘full throat’ that resonated in the hall. He finished off with the placid Kurinji of Annammacharya appropriately.

Abhishek reminds me of SSI in his mannerisms (punishing the lap and even occasional konaShTai) :D Even joking apart he is our hope for maintaining the classicism in CM along with the much needed innovations. I suggest that he does more ‘full throat’ since he has excellent soaring voice which gets muffled and squeaky when he squeezes his mouth. He has a great future and I wish him well!

Vittal as a senior has the right spirit: inspiring but never overpowering. I love his beatific smile that encourages the young vocalist. Ananta Krishnan played unobsttrusively though his efforts were to support his cousin which he executed with precision.

After the show I quickly collared Abhishek and asked him what we should do (besides Cleveland) to encourage youngsters to take to CM in NA. He mentioned that in his opinion CM is alive and well in NA since Families are quite supportive. To the same question Vittal repeated Abhishek’s views but added that we should organize Carnatic Music Camps for the youth wherein they can intereact and learn from each other and get rid of stage-fright; an excellent suggestion.

On the whole it was a memorable experience which I wil remember for a long time. Thanks SICA for sponsoring the event!

cmlover

Re: Abhishek Raghuram at SICA Ottawa, May 25, 2012

Post by cmlover »

I forgot to add there was innovation in the sound system. See the picture. There were two overhead ones with a funny looking tube in the front common for all. As my engineering friend commented it provided Studio quality surround sound. Just get rid of the individual mikes for each artiste!
Technology to rescue...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover wrote: 5. Dviraga RTP KalyaNi/KeeravANi –KhaNDajAti TripuDai KhaNDa naDai
Pallavi: KamalAvadani kamaladaLanayani vANi bhavAni KalyANi/keeravANi

It was a sheer beuty with Bhuvneshvari (Kalyani) dueling with Vageshwari (Keeravani).
We saw before our eyes the creation of the raga “keerakalyani” !
CML
Looks like abhishek is having a full fledged canada tour. I am curious on bhuvaneshwari and Vageshwari connection that you mentioned with kalyani and keervani.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the "keerakalyani goods train air conditioned express". I would love to hear this combo of keeravani and kalyani as there would be big mood swing in me :grin: Wow abhishek and birthday wishes to vittal

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

CML: thanks for your review. I am glad Ottawa got a sample of Abhishek.
And sApasyat kausalyA is in Adi talam.

tkb

Post by tkb »

cmlover thanks for the review and you almost took us to the venue what with the nice photo as well! Looks like AR is rocking in Canada as CSK is doing here!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

CML: I am sorry I do not have any information on the sArangA song.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
Nice to hear your enthusiastic comment.
IMHO in that duel Bhuvaneshwari lost to Vageshwari :D
Abhishek must be on our watch list!
The team is on to Calgary as I understand. Hope somebody will post from there....
Thanks Ramesh. Corrected..

Question? Both Kalyani and Keeravani share chatushruti rishabham. What is the difference in prayogam?

appu

Post by appu »

tkb wrote:cmlover thanks for the review and you almost took us to the venue what with the nice photo as well! Looks like AR is rocking in Canada as CSK is doing here!
Who is CSK????

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

CSK = Chennai Super kings.
Clearly not a cricket fan, Appu ;)

If you can call IPL cricket, i.e.

[FYI, IPL = Indian Premier League].

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

CML: I found out that the sArangA song starts with kaN kalangudE and it is a composition of violin maestro Kumaresh.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Lakshman.
In fact the song ended as kaN kalangudE. Sounds right...
Will you have the lyrics?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

No I don't but I will be at his jugalbandi concert next weekend and I will request it then.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just stopping for a moment at the forum...

You canadian lot are making it the land of rocket-launching, it seems...weekend of praise abhishEkam.

Mahavishnu,
chacun a son gout ;)

CML,
Good to get a rare review from you.You made Rajeshand others happy. Looks as though you are smitten too!
Yes, here's someone to watch for as you say. Some kid!

Lakshman,
A jugal bandhi concert too? With whom?
Last edited by arasi on 29 May 2012, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Mme Reine, la vérité n'est pas une question de goût ;)
But Canadians do love their gastronomy. Especially in the capital region with all the French influences.
A jugal bandhi concert too? With whom?
With Jayanthi Kumaresh. Much looked forward to (par moi at least).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Je ne sais pas si Abhishek peut guérir "Gout"
Mais bien sûr que sa musique peut vous faire oublier la douleur :D

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

C'est vrai.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
I agree. What could be better if your taste and the truth agree!
Thanks for being a good sport. I have such regard for your rasanai and gnAnam--and you know that...
I barely have any time to get near my computer--being busy with umpteen things--and so to relax, I felt like shooting the breeze and kidding around a bit, that's all :)

VPR

Post by VPR »

If I am not mistaken, he sang the saranga in NJ last year. Beautiful rendition-very moving. I believe that the song was composed by Kumaresh.

priyaravi1998

Post by priyaravi1998 »

The Saaranga song is "Kann Kalangude Manam Urugudhe" composed by Shri Kumaresh of Ganesh Kumaresh
Last edited by priyaravi1998 on 31 May 2012, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is that superb Saranga clip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gyaom2q79 ... angude.mp3
Somebody can figure out the lyrics?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Corrections welcome:
kaN kalangudE. rAgA: sArangA. cApu tALA. Composer: Kumaresh.

P: kaN kalangudE manam urugudE
A: nAdamAna unnai nALum ennuL kANa
C1: vazhiyillAda poruLillAda mozhiyillAda iruLillAda
pozhiyAga aruLAga nAn unnai ennuL kANa
2: unnai palarum pAD palarum nADi pala vidamAi pOTri pOTri
vazhiyAga mozhiyAga vizhittALE iniyAga tErAga uLLAna
palavAna AdiyAga antamAga nADum unnai ennuL kANa

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks Lakshman...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks, CML for posting the clip and Thanks L-ji for the quick transcription.

This song was part of Jayanthi Kumaresh's opera performed at Krishna Gana Sabha in 2010 called "Sri rAgam". It is a story about a young man's journey to find a higher consciousness (a bit like the story of Siddhartha), but through music and a guru who shows him this path.

This particular song was featured in the part of the story when the young man discovers the illusional edge between truth and beauty in music, within and without. Hence the lines "nAdamAna unnai nALum ennuL kANa... kaN kalangudE" have a special meaning in this context. Sri Kumaresh composed this song in SArangA just for this opera.

The entire opera is really quite beautiful. I was fortunate enough to attend this event in Chennai. I don't think it has been performed ever since. The opera featured some very talented musicians including Jayanthi, Abhishek, Anand, Kannada singer MD Pallavi, Pramath Kiran and others.

This song has also become an oft-requested item in Abhishek's concerts, both in India and abroad.

CHIGO

Post by CHIGO »

P: kaN kalangudE manam urugudE
A: nAdamAna unnai nALum ennuL kANa
C1: vadivillAda poruLillAda oliyillada irulillAda oliyAga aruLAga naalum unnai ennul kANa
2: unnai palarum pADi palarum nADi pala vidamAi pOTri pOTri
vazhiyAga mozhiyAga piritthare
piriyAda serAda onrAna palavAna AdiyAga andamAga nAlum unnai ennuL kANa

This is the exact lyrics as delivered by him in Hyderabad

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the corrected version.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

CHIGO's version.

Could it be:C1-oLiyillada(ஒளியில்லாத)as the second next word is oliyaga which means sound and corresponds with nAdamAna unnai.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Ramesh for setting the context.
The lyrics are indeed emotive and Abhishek delivers it with the right emotion.
There was pin-drop silence among the audience when he rendered this song.
It is very apt philosophically as depicting " a young man's journey to find a higher consciousness "

kssr

Post by kssr »

cmlover wrote:Je ne sais pas si Abhishek peut guérir "Gout"
Mais bien sûr que sa musique peut vous faire oublier la douleur :D
AnbuLLA mamas and maamis,
ippadi puriyaada bhashaiyile pottu aruththaal "kaN kalangude manam urugude" :(

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sorry!
கலக்கம் வேண்டாம்
Here it is in the most spoken language
我不知道如果阿布舍克可以治愈“痛风”
但他的音乐,当然可以让你忘了痛
:D

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

CML,
Thanks for the review. It was very detailed and made me feel like I was there. I could not hear the Saranga clip, as it says it is deleted. Glad you enjoyed the concert. Looks like this young man is rushing to the top in CM. All the Best to him.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

We already had R & G's concert last weekend. Please see the song list and a well written review by mahavishnu in this thread. On Sunday we are having a jugalabandi concert with Jayanti & Kumaresh.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Toronto is pouring it on!
We satellites can only stand and watch!
It is a pity they have stopped recording the concerts :(

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

maduraimini
Unquestionably Abhishek has a very bright future.
He has the right material and attitude.
IMHO he has the Pitamaha's vidvat and his Grandpa's laya control....
He should be on the CM Radar watch!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

It is only a logical step for me to request the meaning. I am interested especially because it has a story context and is composed by a wonderful musician.
Would someone kindly oblige?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sachi,
Here you go - I have reorganized the pallavi/anupallavi sections:

pallavi
kaN kalangudE manam urugudE
nAdamAna unnai nALum ennuL kANa

(My) eyes (kaN) tear up (kalangudE) (and my) heart/mind (manam) melts (urugudE) when I behold (kANa) you (unnai), the very embodiment of music/sound (nAdamAna), within me (ennuL) everyday (nALum).

anupallavi
vaDivillAda poruLillAda oLiyillada irulillAda
oliyAga aruLAga nALum unnai ennuL kANa (kaN kalangudE...)

(My eyes tear up and my heart melts) when I behold you, who is without form (vaDivillAda), without substance/meaning (poruLillAda), without light (oLiyillAda), without darkness (iruLyillAda), as (Aga) sound (oli) and grace (aruL) within myself daily.

caraNam 1
unnai palarum pADi palarum nADi
pala vidamAi pOTRi pOTRi vazhiyAga mozhiyAga pirittAre
piriyAda serAda onRAna palavAna
AdiyAga antamAga nALum unnai ennuL kANa (kaN kalangudE...)

Many (palarum) have sung (pADi) (your praises), and many have sought (nADi) you (unnai) and have worshipped you (POTRi POTRi) in multiple (pala) ways (vidamAi), splitting (pirittArE) you into source (vazhiyAga) and sound/speech (mozhiyAga). (But my eyes tear up and my heart melts) when I behold you – without splitting (piriyAda), without uniting (sErAda), as one (onRAna), and as many (palavAna), as the beginning (AdiyAga), and as the end (antamAga) – within myself daily.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

wow. Great meaning.
If I summarise
Oh Cosmic sound (anAhata) beyond form and meaning, beyond beginning and end, you're sought after through many paths and prayers by all, But You are showering your grace within me and my sight and heart are overwhelmed with indescribable bliss. Amen

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes... Amen!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Wow, interesting to see this thread reincarnate in this form.

RSachi: The song/verse is especially beautiful in the context of the story. Unfortunately, they are not performing this story/opera anymore :(