Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Re: MMI & Swara Raga Sudha

Post by rajeshnat »

perarulalan wrote:Dear Balu Sir / Prof. VKV / Venu Sir,
Has Shri MMI sung Swara Raga Sudha in Sankarabharanam, in any of his concerts? If so, any chance that there is a recording???

Thanks and Regards
Perarulalan
I dont think there is a recording of MMI singing swara ragha sudha . We have tookiya tiruvadi and endukku peddala . I am curious if shri MMI has sung this krithi

Balummi

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Balummi »

Dear Perarulalan,
Only the following recordings of MMI in Sankarabaranam are available to my best of knowledge. : Sarojadala netri , Endukupedhala , Thookia Thiruvadi and the Navavarna Kriti
Sri Kamalamba . Have I left out any other composition?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

How can you miss the MD master piece Akshayalingavibho? :)

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Has MMI sung " Raaga Sudha Rasa; Paanamu Jesi " in Andholika ??

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Balu Sir,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I was listening to the rendition of Swara Raga Sudha by Smt. MSS. Was wondering if Shri MMI has sung it at all.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Mahesh,
Sorry for not including. Akshayalinga vibo. I had listened to MMI singing this composition of Dikshitar at least a thousand times !

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Balummi
I have all of the sbharanam inclusive of the note . I dont have the sarojadhalanEtri , can you upload the same , not heard that number from ganakaladhara

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajesh.
I have uploaded two different versions of Sarojadala netri and two different versions of Sankarabaranam Thillanas by MMI .Please follow this link to download them
http://www.mediafire.com/?kojlkai2o7djr I had some difficulty in uploading them . Pl. let me know that you are successful in downloading them.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

madura nEram - மதுர நேரம் - MMI listening session on 26.05.012

dear sangIthaprEmis
The next MMI listening session will be on Saturday 26.05.012 at Krishna Gana Sabha.

The session will start by 5:30pm.

As we are getting closer to the centenary birthday of MMI a full concert running for about 3+ hours will be played. Come prepared to soak in MMI's music and stay soaked!! And there may be some live surprises too!!

As usual don't ask me for the accompanists and the recording of the concert.

varsha

Post by varsha »

And there may be some live surprises too!!
An accompanist( from that concert ) who will also live on for ever , listening to himself - Perhaps?
The utterly butterly L... perhaps ?
;)
Last edited by varsha on 26 May 2012, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:An accompanist who will live on for ever , listening to himself ?
The utterly butterly L... perhaps ?
;)
Beautiful :D

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer music is part of many MMI Maddys lives.It was amply proved again on the 26th May 2012 when his concert of Shanmukananda Hall Bomby@Mumbai waselayed LIVE and the fans of the great MAdurai Mani iyer were present well in advance of the schduled time of 5-30 PM.The credit goes to ALL the rasikas and more important to S/'s SL Narasimhan,VIjaykumar and Jayaramakrishnan for their very sincere and dedicated efforts Kudos to the trio for reviving the memories of great and soulful music.The highlight of the evening was the presence of legenday Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman Sir who accompanied MMI along with the late powerful Palghat Mani Iyer on
Mridangam and Sri Kothanda raman on Ghatam.
MADURA MANI concert started with the popular and evergreen NADA THANUMANUSAM and in the native language KUTCHERI
KALAI KATTIYADHU.MMI followed it with Sahasra Kala mandithe
Koluvai Unnade Muthuswami Iyer Krithi and Dharini Telusukunti was
in detail and the team of Lalgudi,PMI and KR Iyer excelled in all aspects of the soulful song.Of course the BEST was YET TO BE and
Sivans KANAKANKODI VENDUAM was taken up and this writer could SEE many of the rasikas were NOT only excited but also a few
became too emotional with JOYOUS tears inn their eyes.As it was very
aptly put on the ADs KETKA KODI KAATHU VENDUM.KAA VAA
and Kandan Karunai songs were on the list and Mathrubutham and the RAGAM THANAM PALLAVI In SHnmugapriya was another hit.Even
at 15 minutes past 9 PM the rasikas numbering 150 or so at that stage
refused to accept the concert was over Such was the magic of MMI team consisting of LALGUDI PMI AND KR IYER<We are all very much indebted to MADURAI MANI 100 organisers in particular to S/S SL NARASIMHAN JRK AND VIJAYAKUMAR FOR THE EVENT>
The MADDYS OF MMI left the venue with Madurai Mani on their lips

The wonderful concert began with Nadha Thanumanusam and the maddys were excited to the extreme and the concert started with a magical touch at once.The audience became very emotional including the writer who rarely missed any nMMI concert in his hay days.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Balummi wrote:Dear Rajesh.
I have uploaded two different versions of Sarojadala netri and two different versions of Sankarabaranam Thillanas by MMI .Please follow this link to download them
http://www.mediafire.com/?kojlkai2o7djr I had some difficulty in uploading them . Pl. let me know that you are successful in downloading them.
Balummi Sir

I downloaded and listened , tx also to the thillana in sbharanam. IIRC ,In general MMI has sung only two thillanas one in shenjurutti and this one in sbharanam. My assumption is his eppovaruvarO ,kandan karunai,vellai thamarai and note requests may not have given him that much oppurtunity to sing more thillanas . Also the thillana renaissance happened more in 80's and 90's
Last edited by rajeshnat on 31 May 2012, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajesh ,
Sometime back I tried to download from my own storage in Mediafire .com just to find out whether rasikas find any difficulty in doing so . I got the reply that the uploader (i.e. me ) had privatized
the storage and it is no longer possible to download without "his" permission !I had never privatized but only changed the password . It is for this reason that I wanted confirmation that you were able to download freely . Thank you . My only aim in life seems to be ( there is no conscious effort) to spread the music of MMI far and wide . When I saw hundreds of faces swaying this way and that way , enjoying His music at Krishna Gana Sabha on 26 th of May listening to MMI thundering through the speakers without anybody on the dias , it was a thrilling experience .

sankara

Post by sankara »

not liking to see Madurai Mani's name getting into the 2nd page of the vidwan's list (need to get back on the 1st page 1st name)....prompting the able lot to start writing about MMI such that novice like me could read and indulge further. During my India (chennai) visit 2 weeks back had mentioned to my Dad (who is a fan(atic) about such forums and existence of fanatics like him as well. He too shared his experiences listening to MMI's concert during his intermediate/college days visiting suchindrum temple and how he and his friends would listen till the end and get back home at 2 AM.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

# 812...

Concert built from files including from SP Archives
Nada-Tanumanisham---ChittaRanjani 07mts.14
koluvaiyunnADE_kOdaNDapANi-bhairavi 24.55mts
SahasrakaraManditeVasaspati-HN Muthiya Bhahavathar 11.48mts
-DariniTelusukonti 30.49mts
Kannakan Kodi 26.45mts
KA VA VA varali 08.14mts
rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-shaNmukhapriyA 36.09mts
SRI MATHRUBOOTHAM... 06.09mts

concert for 2hours 31mts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2YDmhd268

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Beautiful!
- an eclectic collection

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I have tried to upload through a new website the Navagraha kriti Angarakam sung by MMI in a private concert in Kilpauk in 1962 . In this he had elaborated Raga Suruti and had sung beautiful Swaras http://jumbofiles.com/j1369fn338vt/20 - Suruti.mp3.html
http://jumbofiles.com/877tsolckrfz/21 - Ankaraka.mp3.html

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Dear All,
Pls click the above link to see the Madurai Mani Iyer Centenary invite.

Venu sundarvenu sundar

E-mail venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

DEAR ALL MADURAI MANI MADDYS!
WE ARE THRILLED AND EXCITED TO INVITE YOU FOR AN EVENING WITH "MADHURA NERAM".
DATE : 2nd OCTOBER 2012
VENUE : CORNER STONE MINI HALL, BESANT AVENUE ROAD
(OPP TO ABACUS)
TIME : 5-30 PM TO 8-30 PM

OUR BELOVED VKV SIR WILL BE GRACING THE OCCASION MOST LIKELY WITH CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR!

THIS IS A GRAND REHARSAL TO PLAN MADURAI MANI 100 to be held on SUNDAY THE 28th OCTOBER AT THE BHARATHIYA VIDYA BHAVAN MAIN HALL AT MYLAPORE.

PLS ATTEND WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS

SRI SURYA PRAKASH OF MADURAI MANI SCHOOL WILL GIVE LEC_DEMO ON THAT OCCASSION.

SNACKS AND KAFI WILL BE SERVED . PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR PARTICIPATION TO ORDER SNACKS AND COFFEE.

PLS ACK INVITE
BEST REGARDS
S.RENGANATHAN AND S.Venugopalan
S/O CHITTI
PHONE NO 98413 13527 7-A, Prashanthi Apts. T.M.Maistry Street, Vannandurai, Chennai - 600 041 Ph: +91 44 42151321

cacm

Post by cacm »

PLEASER GO TO #138 BY cacm under "MMI CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS CHENNAI OCT 28" to READ MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE AGENDA & DETAILS FOR THE OCT 2 MEETING. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MAdurai Mani Iyer Centenary preliminary MEET of the MMI MADDYS was held at the Corner Stone Mini HAll on 2nd October 2012 to further chalk out the programmes for the GRAND FINALE at BVB Mylapore ON SUNDAY 28th OCTOBER 2012 in which a few VERY CLOSE associates will be honoured and of course VKS SIR AND CLEVLAND SUNDARAM SIR will be there to make the function a very grand one.As for as the Corner Stone meeting was concerned it was a cloudy evening in which some 75 strong crowd came and enjoyed MMIs Music and some touching speeches by S/S Naraisah,VKV SAK DURGA SANGITHA KALANIDHI designate Trichur Ramachandran and Sri Kuppusamy nephew of late Guhan the composer of KANDAN KARUNAI which was sung many times by the immortal MMI with his melodious GOLDEN VOICE>Ms.Sahana rendered the prayer song and a fine book containing a few qualitative articles were presented to the audience.KRA Naraisah spoke on the importance of MMI on Gandhi Jayanthi day since MMI was known as GANDHI in his inner circle of friends.MAHATHMA MANI MOZHI VAZHI NADAPPOM A song composed by CHITTI was played on that occassion.VKV threw more light on the event of MMI to be held on 28th October at BVB Mylapore.VKV will also be writing more on MMI 100 in RASIKAS appealing to the RASIKAS to do their BEST in the memory of MMI!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

TX FOR THE IMMEDIATE RESPONSE!RAJESH!Sri Surya presented one of the very rare LEC-DEM and it was really very interesting and informative one for LAY rasikas like me.
I left it to the more MUSIC scholarly VKV and SUNDARAM SIR since I have always been an humble RASIKA and I am one like the RIKSHAW MAN at the swelling crowd of the KAPALI KOIL concerts refusing SAVAARI till MMI finished his concert in 1950 and 60s.But one striking point of SURIs observations was that of the SILENCE equal to the song of MMI style.This was discussed earlier on by my dad CHITTI and THI JAnakiraman Sir about MMIs special patterrns.What is the SILENCE as I understood can also be called as the PAUSE during the concert of MMI.For example whenever MMI sang SEETHAPATHE in particular MMI used to be giving an impression that he is SKIIPPING VATHATHMAJA but actually it is the PAUSE in between two lines of the song.MMI had many positive praises for the PAKKA VADHYAM which is the real PAKKKA VAADHYAM in those days of MUSIC!
As for as the LEC-DEM of SURYA I want to honour him with a SMALL BUT SWEET TITLE now.I know SUrya EVEN AS a very young boy since me and his dad Sri Ramachandran were colleagues at RBI CHennai and of course later onn SURI too was my coemployee and still with RBI CHennai now.I suggest SURI can be called MADURAI MINI IYER NOW!
venu sundar

venkatakailasam

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

I recently came to know that Sri MMI had done srutibedham. Can anyone send me a recording if available? Thanks. Sri Balummi Sir, is this available inthe CD set you gave me?

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananda ,
Sruthibetham , if Iam correct , after consulting Vishnuprasad , is : during elaborating a raga or in the midst of neraval or swrarasinging if the singer for a brief period , shifts his basic (athara sruti) sruti from Shadjam to Rishabam and refix his kattai ( or frequency) so that every note is shifted from its place . This type of singing will give a shade of another raga . The singer after sometime gets back to his original sruti ( kattai) and gets applause . MMI did not seem to like this type of circus but still in " Kalinil Silambu " sometimes he refixes Ri as Sa and removes Panchamam and continues for sometime in the style of TNR only in his memory . Sruthibetham certainly disturbs the peace of mind of the rasikas.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Sruthibetham certainly disturbs the peace of mind of the rasikas
If done well , I get goosebumps . Is something wrong with me ? :lol:

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

We are a bunch of music lovers who used to be regular at December Music Festival at the Music Academy.We used to be there dot on time to see the Icons of 50s and 60s who were dominating the Festival.Ariyakudi, Semmangudi GNB,and Madurai Mani Iyer the great.Why I Single out MMI has a valid reason He is our God of Music and we are MMI fanatics to say the least.In the year when he was conferred the title of Sangeetha Kalanidi we all celebrated it with gusto.when he used to sing 'Entha sowkiya Panile of Thyagaraja we used to compare the raga with the Copy in the canteen since that raga was Copy!MMI used to sing "eppo Varuvaro' as one of his Thukkadas.When rasikas used to ask for it the Violin Mastero Thiruvalngadu Sundaresa Iyer Used to say' Wait!Varuvar, Varuvar!' meaning he would surely sing that piece.When MMI sang the English Notes we used to dance very spontaneously. MMI is a legend and was the Sachin of Carnatic Music.We enjoyed MMI music extensively. One of my friends used to be emotional and cry at MMI concerts.While another friend used to say that his fever would be cured on listening to MMI.MMI =Music!MMI 100 is organised under the dynamic leadership of the
CLEVELAND TWINS VV SUNDARAM SIR AND VKV SIR and we the MMI MADDYS are very fortunate in this respect.VVS and VKV are the guiding FORCE behind this UNIQUE and the most significant function to be held at BHARATHIYA VIDYA BHAVAN ON 28th OCT 2012 from 2 to9PM.WE call upon all the RASIKAS to make it a very GRAND EVENT>PL REPLY!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I was fortunate to attend the Centenary Celebration of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan this evening. It was a very successful program. Cleaveland famous Sri V.K.Viswanathan and Sri VV.Sundaram were the prinicipal organisors assisted by a dedicated team of volunteers from among fans of Sri MMI. Sri V.K.Viswanathan compered and conducted the proceedings in an efficient manner although it was little bit informal in nature.

The talk given by the speakers was excellent. They took different aspects of MMI's music for analysis. Dr.S. A.K.Durga presented her research report on the voice aspect of Sri MMI. Dr.Narmada demonstrated with her violin on how sri MMI could coordinate with the accompany artistes, the amount of value he has given to the instruments and the respect he had given to the people who played the accompaniments. Sri K.s.Kalidas explained the Layam part of MMI. Sri Ravikiran narrated in general how Sri MMI accomplished his mission by carrying the art to the entire humanity from a scholar to a worker.Cleaveland Sri Sundaram spoke on the importance Sri MMI had given to his rasikas.

The vocal recital rendered by Sri R.Suryaprakash and Smt. Gayathri Girish was very good. Sri Suryaprakash was in his full form and the recital he has given today is of best standard compared to all the other programs I have attended so far. I hope our aasthaana Subbudu (Sri German Subbu) may come out with his detailed praising report on the music rendered by Suryaprakash and Gayathi Girish.

From our RBI Chennai Friends group myself, Sendi, German Subbu, T.V.S., and Rangachari attended the function. We could also find Sri C.S.Umapathy (Cricket Coach), Sri Jagannathan (H/O.Gita Jagannathan) in the audience.

Although the publicity given for this program was minimum, we could witness the maximum response. During the program. We could see a number of senior music artistes in the function. It was an unusual thing to witness - tea breaks twice.

Many artistes and persons associated with Sri MMI were honoured with presentation of mementos. I am happy to see that our friend Sri Venugopalan is one among them.

Printed souvenir containing various articles about Sri MMI and Audio CD's containing compilation of MMI recordings were distributed to the audience.

Although the program was drawn for a very long duration of seven hours, the tempo was sustained from the beginning to the end. Everyone was found very much attentive.

I am not able to end this write up without mentioning my regret that the attendance from RBItes was very much less than expected. It is not for somebody's sake we are attending. Indeed, those who could not and did not attend this program missed a wonderful opportunity,. I could say. This is my personal feeling. We should improve a lot in this regard at least in future.
With love and regards,
CHANDRIAH RETD RBI CHENNAI

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I was fortunate to attend the Centenary Celebration of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan this evening. It was a very successful program. Cleaveland famous Sri V.K.Viswanathan and Sri VV.Sundaram were the prinicipal organisors assisted by a dedicated team of volunteers from among fans of Sri MMI. Sri V.K.Viswanathan compered and conducted the proceedings in an efficient manner although it was little bit informal in nature.

The talk given by the speakers was excellent. They took different aspects of MMI's music for analysis. Dr.S. A.K.Durga presented her research report on the voice aspect of Sri MMI. Dr.Narmada demonstrated with her violin on how sri MMI could coordinate with the accompany artistes, the amount of value he has given to the instruments and the respect he had given to the people who played the accompaniments. Sri K.s.Kalidas explained the Layam part of MMI. Sri Ravikiran narrated in general how Sri MMI accomplished his mission by carrying the art to the entire humanity from a scholar to a worker.Cleaveland Sri Sundaram spoke on the importance Sri MMI had given to his rasikas.

The vocal recital rendered by Sri R.Suryaprakash and Smt. Gayathri Girish was very good. Sri Suryaprakash was in his full form and the recital he has given today is of best standard compared to all the other programs I have attended so far. I hope our aasthaana Subbudu (Sri German Subbu) may come out with his detailed praising report on the music rendered by Suryaprakash and Gayathi Girish.

From our RBI Chennai Friends group myself, Sendi, German Subbu, T.V.S., and Rangachari attended the function. We could also find Sri C.S.Umapathy (Cricket Coach), Sri Jagannathan (H/O.Gita Jagannathan) in the audience.

Although the publicity given for this program was minimum, we could witness the maximum response. During the program. We could see a number of senior music artistes in the function. It was an unusual thing to witness - tea breaks twice.

Many artistes and persons associated with Sri MMI were honoured with presentation of mementos. I am happy to see that our friend Sri Venugopalan is one among them.

Printed souvenir containing various articles about Sri MMI and Audio CD's containing compilation of MMI recordings were distributed to the audience.

Although the program was drawn for a very long duration of seven hours, the tempo was sustained from the beginning to the end. Everyone was found very much attentive.

I am not able to end this write up without mentioning my regret that the attendance from RBItes was very much less than expected. It is not for somebody's sake we are attending. Indeed, those who could not and did not attend this program missed a wonderful opportunity,. I could say. This is my personal feeling. We should improve a lot in this regard at least in future.
With love and regards,
CHANDRIAH RETD RBI CHENNAI

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Suryprakash's performance was a storm: it was really magnificent, and he seems to give more and more with each successive concert. It was rich food, and I simply had to go away and digest, rather than taking in another performance.

I was given a splendid-looking booklet. Looking over the shoulder of my neighbour, I think it was the same that my neighbour was looking and and I saw only Tamil text, so I put it away in my bag as simply being a memento. When I got home, I opened it and found English! Amazing that the organizers should have covered this in two languages!

There were many friends there. I'm sorry I did not get to speak to VKV: might not have the chance to do so, now, for another year.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

One request to the organisers. Could you kindly share the concerts online in some way? Please?

venkatakailasam

Two splendid (s) for the two postings...#31 and #32

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

VKV and VVS: Congrats on your dogged efforts to pay homage to an immortal musician!! I really missed the function given the year-long preparation and notice you had given all of us individually and collectively;

The loss is entirely mine!!

venkatakailasam

listen to Shri Suryaprakash...aUDIO COURTESY sHRI TV.GOPALAKRISHNAN..

Shri R Suryaprakash MMI centenary celebrations 2012..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML7I8Irbi2A

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Why no one utters a word about gayatri girish's concert? Has it gone into oblivion ?

Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

My humble pranams to all. I have always avoided posting in a thread which has a review of my concert but I feel I have to post something here to convey my deep feelings regarding the glorious celebration of Parama Guru Madurai Mani Iyer mama's Centenary at BVB Hall and also about my fellow artist(s) who presented the second concert of the evening. I could see many people sitting in the audience moved to tears, listening to the speeches of Shri. Cleveland Shri.V V Sundaram mama and Shri.VKV. and yours truly was no exception. It was a unique learning experience for me listening to the analytical and emotional lec-dems of Durgamma, Ravikiranji, Narmada ji and Kalidas sir. Not to forget Yessel ji's nimble fingers on the computer, selecting the choicest gems from an eclectic collection and the stupendous volunteering work done by Venugopalan sir and Chandraiah sir. I have always felt I needed another Janma to fathom the musical ocean, Parama Guru MMI mama and this feeling was further reinforced on listening to the rare masterpieces played specially on the occasion. I can only offer my profound respects to my Guru Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri.T.V.Sankaranarayanan sir as I think "How fortunate I am to have been an understudy of this immortal baani of Caranatic Music?".

I would like to specially offer my appreciation to my fellow artiste Smt.Gayathri Girish and her team for presenting a wonderful performance as the second concert of the day. It is very difficult to do justice to certain compositions which, even though, having percolated through the hierarchies of a common tradition but have been given an individualistic stamp of excellence by a musical genius, which Smt.Gayathri did amply. I was able to stay for the concert only till Smt.Gayathri started her main raga due to my other commitments but thoroughly enjoyed what was sung till then - the Vaara kriti (Surya Murthe, Saurashtram, Sadananda Thandavam(bahudaari), Thelisi Rama Chintana (Purnachandrika), Saarasamukhi (gowda Malhaar, with chittaswarams). Narmada ji on the violin was playing a second innings of excellence that day after her lecdem. Mannarkoil J Balaji played superb sarvalaghu that everyone was reminded of Vellore Shri.Ramabhadran mama, especially during "Sadananda Thandavam", Adambakkam Shankar was greatly supportive too. Forgive me dear rasikas, this is my first attempt to even write a semblence of a report, leave alone review! - with regards - R.Suryaprakash

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

EXCELLENT is the word I can think of to describe the writings of Musical GOD Sri Madura MANI IYER!VKV and VVS SIRS our inspiration and guiding ICONS!
I am one of the PROUD lots to have involved in a very little bit in the ocean of Madurai Mani 100 celebrations at BVB on the 28th OCTOBER 2012 in a sort MMI MADDYS GET
TOGETHER!As mentioned by you VVS and VKV SIRS speeches made every one CRY perhaps in happiness ie ANANDHA KANNER!Of course ALL OF US worked as if it was one of the FAMILY FUNCTIONS>All the RASIKAS ARE THE BLESSED LOT and we THANK ONE AND ALL>WE do not STOP here but we are only starting to say the TRUTH.We have very big and ambitious plans for the future which I shall write in detail,Of course MS Gaythri Girishs concert was a FITTING FINALE to the emotional event and GG was in TOP form to say the least.Her rendering of MMI HITS were melodious and sweet with total dedication.Surya and GG brought the MMI memory to ALL the RASIKAS with blissful MUSIC!
Madurai Mani Maddys plans are many and MORE to come.We appeal through this RASIKAS>ORG for their support from ALL angles.We plan to have one place permanently for MADURA MANI and perhaps a BUST will be place in the centre of the MANIMANDAPAM if one can call it.We shall try to make maximum recordings of the great ICON MMI and ANY MADDY CAN RECORD THE SAME FREE OF COST>But the initial expenditure for the small or BIG hall will be borne by the RASIKAS as a WHOLE.WE may also hold MONTHLY LISTENING SESSIONS permanently in the venue in future.On behalf of ALL the MADDYS I appeal ALL your support for the dreamy venture.PLS RESPOND!

venkatakailasam

MMI 024-ShriMaatrbhootam_MMI_Kanada_MChapu ...

MMI 024-ShriMaatrbhootam_MMI_Kanada_MChapu.mp3

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Subject: Fw: Madurai mani Iyer Birthday-and CHITTI GUHAN DAY!
To: "chitti vidya@hotmail.com" <chittividya@hotmail.com>, "grsubba@ hotmail.com" <grsubba@hotmail.com>
Cc: "lash1970@yahoo.com" <lash1970@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, 15 November, 2012, 6:24

MMI-CHITTI-GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!
VENUE VIDYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 10 AM on Sunday 25th NOV
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 100 MINUTES
Speakers CLEVELAND V>V SUNDARAM SRI KRA NARASIAH AND SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN
Honouring of Sri SL NARASIMAHAN EN RANGANTHAN AND MS LAKSHMI
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527
RBI RETD CHENNAIand KUPPUSAMY GUHANS NEPHEW

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

http://stream.sangeethapriya.org/index.view

kumar » Vocal » Mani_Iyer » KT05_MMIConcert_KGSabha

Seems to be incomplete recording but how wonderful the music is! Pure nectar! Violin seems to be LGJ, blissful returns, especially during AdamOdi galadE!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Keshav Venkataraghavan shared Varagooran Narayanan's photo.
Drawing this was a wonderful experience. I needed to draw Paramacharya keeping the beat for Mani Iyer. I googled 'paramacharya'--This posture was number 1 in the search result.

Madurai Mani Iyer and Paramacharya.

[To-Day Mukthi Day 08-06-2013]

It was an unusual meet of rasikas gathered to listen to a music concert. Not a live concert. It was a CD of a 1957 kutcheri. And it was an evening when it just incessantly poured. That, however, did not stop people from attending. For them the singer was a God.

“We are celebrating the 98th birth anniversary of Madurai Mani Iyer, and on this occasion, we recall the friendship of my father Chitti, the writer, and Guhan, the poet. What united them all as a thread was Iyer’s music!” announced Venugopal at the informal get-together at the sprawling hall of Kuppusamy’s residence in Shastri Nagar.

According to him, all the three were chums. “A group of fans of MMI including Chitti, Guhan and R.A. Padmanabhan, Bharati scholar, were great admirers of his music. MMI would not begin his concert unless this group arrived, whenever he performed in Tiruchi or around and the group had even built a ‘Mani’ Mantapam in his memory in Tiruchi. Ramanavami concerts were held in this mandapam for fifteen years,” he added.

“We are actually fanatics,” announced Kuppusamy unabashedly. He is the nephew of poet ‘Guhan’ whose poems have been sung by a few vidwans in their kutcheris. Pazhani Vijayalakshmi, the yesteryear Carnatic singer was his sister, he added. “You have heard of Arya – or Bhashyam, the artist who painted the portrait of Tiruvalluvar? He is my uncle!” The brave Arya, who unfurled the tricolour at Fort St. George, climbing up the flag-post and removing the British flag during the thick of the freedom movement. “And you know the Tamil writer R. Choodamani, who recently passed away? She is my niece!” said Mrs. Kuppusamy.

Some one welcomed the chief guest, R.A. Padmanabhan, nonagenarian scholar who produced ‘Chithira Bharati.’ Everyone reverentially greeted him till he settled down in a chair. Venugopal mentioned that he was honoured by Dr. Kalam when the third edition of his book was published recently. Padmanabhan was also on the staff of Tiruchi AIR for some time, when Chitti and Guhan served there, we are told.

The trickling flow of audience was received warmly by Venugopal and Kuppusamy. They settled down in vacant chairs or on the blanket spread in the corner.

“Once Madurai Mani Iyer heard the song, ‘Beena Madhur Madhur kuch bol’ in raga Bhimplas, from the film ‘Ram Rajya.’ He asked Guhan to compose a poem in the same raga and my uncle obliged him. That song is ‘Kandan Karunai Puriyum Vadivel,’ the popular ‘thukkada’ we heard perhaps in every concert of Madurai Mani Iyer!” reminisced Kuppusamy.

Venugopal recalled an incident when the Kanchi Mahaswami came to Mylapore. He visited Madurai Mani Iyer’s house early morning, unannounced. Mani Iyer was doing the usual sadakam, when some one said that Paramacharya was entering his house. A stunned Mani Iyer took time to react.

Mahaswami asked Mani Iyer to sing a song. Mani Iyer replied hesitantly that he had not even had his bath. “You always swim in the sangita saharam, you do not have to have a bath to sing before me!” told the smiling Acharya. Moved to tears, Madurai Mani fell at his feet, crying “Parameswara!” Meanwhile, the mridanga vidwan had left after being blessed by Mahaswami.

“Now, start!” said the Acharya. “You saw the mridanga vidwan leaving. How do I sing?” pleaded Madurai Mani. “Don’t worry, I will keep the taalam for you!” Paramacharya began the beats with his hands and Mani Iyer had to sing.

Venugopal announced that Balasubramanian alias Balu from Sait Colony, Egmore, had something to say. “Please tell us, Balu, how crazy you were in your college days.” Balu reluctantly responded, “On the last day of the final exams of IIT, I heard the AIR announcement that Madurai Mani Iyer’s concert would follow. I just ignored the exam and sat near the radio and enjoyed the music of Mani Iyer.” That Balu subsequently joined Indian Bank is a different story. He has a collection of MMI’s recordings running for hundreds of hours.

Venkatraman who came all the way from Mumbai specially for this get-together said that whenever there was a concert of MMI broadcast over AIR, he and two of his pals in Pollachi would go to the nearby Haja Mohideen’s tea shop, who would arrange a special bench for the boys to sit and listen comfortably, while he himself enjoyed the melodious music along with them!

Vishnu, nephew of A.K. Ramanujan, an ardent fan of Madurai Mani Iyer, had visited all the cities and towns where MMI had sung! He had arranged to play the CD of MMI’s concert, in which Tiruvalangadu Sundaresayyar had played the violin and Ramanathapuram C.S. Murugaboopathy had accompanied on the mridangam. “I chose this particular concert today, because Tiruvalangadu Sundaresayyar’s son had promised to come here,” briefed Vishnu.

When the Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi segment in Shanmugapriya arrived, Venugopal said that the pallavi ‘Gandhi Mozhi Vazhi Nadappom’ was written by Chitti and given to MMI when he came to sing for Tiruchi AIR and he instantly used it in the concert.

There was never a dull moment in the one hundred minutes of CD music. Everyone was mesmerised. Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer was at his best and so too, was mridangam Murugaboopathy.

All the rasikas were linked by the Trio – MMI, Chitti and Guhan. They were fifty in all, from different walks of life for whom MMI’s music was nectar. But for the inclement weather, it would have easily touched a hundred or more, felt Venugopal. Half of them belonged to the younger generation and it showed how Madurai Mani’s rhythmic music had a special quality to attract the younger lot, too.

Celebrating Madurai Mani Iyer’s birth centenary

The birth centenary celebrations of legendary Carnatic music vocalist Madurai Mani Iyer (MMI), marked by a series of concerts across several cities, will conclude in Chennai on October 28, at the Mylapore Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan.

The event, to be held from 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., will include two sessions, each of which will begin with excerpts from MMI’s concerts. The first session – 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. – will feature presentations on various aspects of his music by Dr. S.A.K. Durga, Dr. M. Narmadha, K.S. Kalidas and Chitraveena Ravi Kiran.

The second session, which begins at 5:00 p.m., features presentations on artists, composers and writers who contributed towards the success of MMI’s career. Ravikiran and Cleveland Sundaram will speak, followed by two concerts. One by R. Suryaprakash, M.A. Sundaresan, Mannargudi A. Easwaran and B.S. Purushothaman, and another by Gaytatri Girish, Dr. M. Narmadha, Mannarkoil Balaji and Adambakkam K.Shankar.

[Article: Courtesy: The Hindu]

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

MMI singing Subha Pantuvarali (Sri Satya Narayanam Upasmahe):
https://soundcloud.com/raksha-1/srisatyanarayanam

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

DEAR ALL<
MADURAI MANI IYER 101st Birthday celebrations will be held on 19th OCTOBER 2013 SATURDAY AT 6PM AT THE YOUTH HOSTEL MINI HALL INDIRANGAR ADYAR CHENNAI-20 AND THE EVENT DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW
SPEAKERS SRI.K R A NARASIAH HISTORIAN
SRI KIZHAMBUR SANKARA SUBRAMANIAN (EDITOR KALIMAGAL)
DR. PRAMEELA GURUMURTHY (HEAD OF THE DEPT. MUSIC UNIVERSITY OF MADRAS
KALAIMAMAMANI DR.M .NARAMADA FAMED VIOLINIST
A SHORT FILM ON MADURAI MANI IYER PRODUCED BY SRI.N. kRISHNASWAMY OF ENKAY VISION ON SHOW!
HIGH TEA WITH SNACKS WILL BE SERVED TO ALL THE RASIKAS ON THAT HAPPY OCCASSION OF MMI EVENT!

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

I was reading last night Sruti Pattabhiraman's obituary article about my father (KVN).He has said Quote "Sruti Magazine completing the first 10 years of its publication named KVN as the best Carnatic Vocalist of the decade..... But Sruti did not include him in the list of Carnatic Musicians it named as Century makers at the end of 20th century..... In the case of KVN as in the case of MMI, there could not be an iota of doubt that he offered great music,music of the highest order ...." Unquote. I haven't heard MMI much. But after reading this article I surfed You tube & heard this beautiful Kambhoji raga Alapana & Ma Janki kriti. What an effort he has put in to Raga Alapana. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJ0anaPOH0.

I haven't followed this thread so far.Want to listen to all the uploads.
KNV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

knv
i am surprised to hear that you have not heard mmi that much. our forum member vkv sir has given all his collections to me few years back. there are few in which vkv has cherry picked where there is commentary by him about mmi, one of the days i can copy and give all my mmi to you(we can touch base with private mail and take it from there).

Purist

Post by Purist »

knv
There is one Thodi-Koluvamaregada from 1960 concert with LGJ-UKS. It is so very sublime and meditative (-in particular
the nereval) that's bound to send the listener to a transce (atleast it does for me). What is brahmanandam can be experciened here. The embellishments LGJ provides (without disturbing the meditative spell of MMI for a second) shows
what a great accompanist he was. I have listened for over 100 times (not an exaggeration) and each time thank MMI
for the experience of transcendental state. You will certainly like it.
I will figure out the link and post.