2012-06-05 Concert @ Maha Periyava Padhugai Temple by Sathya

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
tkb

2012-06-05 Concert @ Maha Periyava Padhugai Temple by Sathya

Post by tkb »

Sathya performed a concert at Maha Periyava's Padhugai Temple located near Nilgiris in Radhakrishnan Salai in P.S. Sivaswami Salai, Mylapore on the 5th June'12 with Karaikal Venkatasubramanian on violin and Kumbakonam Swaminathan on Mrudhangam.

Audio Link: http://www.esnips.com/displayimage.php?pid=34122130
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2747265C0AE3C142

Sathya while performing Raga alapana landed on Ga1 (Komala Gandharam or popularly known as Chinna Ga) prayogam instead of Ga 2 (Dheevra Gandharam or periya Ga) for the Tyagaraja's Mararanjani raga krithi - Manasa Sriramunidhya and continued to present the krithi also on the same pattern! This was by sheer mistake and later he was informed by a Nadaswara Vidwan who was listening to the concert that this was indeed the raga Jangaradhwani! While Sathya felt bad for this mistake, it was Periyava's Grace that he continued to use the same prayogam which raga was coming under a melakartha Scale! At the end it became an act of a krithi in one raga attempted in another scale without any intentions!

The details of the krithis rendered are as follows:

01. Varanamukava - Hamsadwani - Rupakam - Koteeswara Iyer (S)
02. Manasa Sriramunidhya - Jangaradhwani - Adi - Tyagaraja (R)
03. Sambo Mahadeva - Panthuvarali - Rupakam - Tyagaraja (OR)
04. Mahimatakkinciko - Rishabapriya - Adi - Tyagaraja (R)
05. Pesum Deivam Murugan - Nagavalli - Rupakam - Suradanandar (OR, S)
06. Sri Kamakshi - Vasantha - Adi - Subbraya Sastri (R,S, T)
07. Vanamali Radha Ramana - Bhajan
08. Innudhaya Bharathe - Kalayana Vasantham - Kandachappu - Purandaradasa
09. Chandrasekara - Sindhubhairavi - Ekam - Anai Vaidhyanadha Iyer

Note: R- Raga Alapana OR - Outline of ragam S- Kalpanaswaram, T - Thani avarthanam

You can also listen to the audio in the link

http://www.4shared.com/folder/K8bD6AbQ/ ... ncert.html

rgds tkb

kssr

Re: 2012-06-05 Concert @ Maha Periyava Padhugai Temple by Sa

Post by kssr »

No big deal. We do not know either of the ragas.

Sometimes even senior vidwans are known to transgress into the wrong notes. Sometime back, Sri. Rama Varma was giving a lecdem on Swathi tirunal kritis in Bangalore. He was referring to one such wrong usage by Semmangudi mama. It appears that Sri.Varma asked the veteran about it and without batting an eyelid he was told that it was a "Visesha Prayogam"said in the same style as S Mama :)

Rama Varma has a keen sense of humour and tons of such anecdotes as he is closely associated with senior vidwans and he personally is also quite knowledgeable.

By the way who is Sathya?

tkb

Post by tkb »

Thanks kssr - for the note. Sathya is my son, K. Sathyanarayanan, a 17 year old trying to perfect the art of performing Carnatic music on Keyboard.

rgds T. Krishnababu

kssr

Post by kssr »

tkb wrote:Thanks kssr - for the note. Sathya is my son, K. Sathyanarayanan, a 17 year old trying to perfect the art of performing Carnatic music on Keyboard.

rgds T. Krishnababu
Sorry. I did not know. I wish Sathya the very best of luck in CM. Under whom is he learning? Is it only keyboard or is he learning any other instrument or vocal? In spite of the extraordinary sound effects that are possible with the higher end keyboard, due to some inherent limitation, I guess , it does not shine as a CM instrument (at least so far, to the best of my knowledge). Same is the case of harmonium, although there are several artists trying them. May be a maestro can change the fate of the insrument, like what Kadri did with his sax.

tkb

Post by tkb »

He is blessed to have been under the Tutelage of Sri. Mandolin U. Shrinivas and presently guided by Kum. A. Kanyakumari and Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna. During the process of Keyboard getting recognized as a lead instrument, he has been graded as "Grade B" artist of All India Radio at his age of 15. He has performed concerts broadcast by AIR. He plays Harmonium and is waiting for the audition results from All India Radio for the same. He also tries to play violin some times and shows lots of interest in composing as well!

poincare

Post by poincare »

I think composition Sri Kamakshi in Vasantha referred here is not a composition of Subbraya Sastri .. it that a composition of Tiruvarur Ramaswami Pillai. Though it has SS's mudra.

tkb

Post by tkb »

@poincare - thanks for the note and regret the error.