Compositions of Ambi Dikshidhar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
satyabalu

Compositions of Ambi Dikshidhar

Post by satyabalu »

* Has this forum discussed on Ambi Dikshidhar &his compositions/Mudras.?
* I know SKA Sri S Rajam also SKN B Rajam Iyer had learnt Dikshidhar kritis from Ambi Dikshidhar.
* I will start the thread with kriti" Ganananathaya Namasthe- Gowlai".

keerthi

Re: Compositions of Ambi Dikshidhar

Post by keerthi »

The following are definitely compositions of Ambi dIkSitar -

1. varasiddhi vinAyakam - nATa
2. gaNanAthAya - gauLa
3. srI sarasvati - dEvakriyA
4. mangalam jaya mangalam - vasanta
5. brindAvana gOpAla - yamuna

There is a varALI song I can't remember..

I don't have the volume of Sundaram Ayyar, where he has identified a few compositions of Ambi dikSitar.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Keerthi! Thanks for sharing the information.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is a more complete list:

brndAvana gOpAla. rAgA: yamunAkalyANi. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
gaNanAthAya. rAgA: gauLa. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
gaNapati sOdaram. rAgA: Arabhi. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
kalpakAmbikE. rAgA: tODi. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
kAmAkSI mAm pAhi. rAgA: gamakakriyA/pUrvikalyANi. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
kapAlIshvaram (varNa). rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
mahEshvarI. rAgA: kAshirAmakriyA/kAmavardhani. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
mangaLam jayamangaLam. rAgA: vasantA. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
mANikyavallI. rAgA: varALi. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
mAtrubhUtEshvara. rAgA: kEdAra. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
shrI mInAkSi. rAgA: kalyANi. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
shrI ranganAtham. rAgA: pUrNacandrikA. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
shrI sarasvati. rAgA: dEvakriyA/shuddhasAvEri. Adi tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
shrI shAlivATIsha. rAgA: shankarAbharaNa. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
shrI venkaTEsham. rAgA: kalyANavasanta. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
vandE sadA. rAgA: shrIranjani. k/cApu tALA. Ambi Dikshitar
varasiddhi vinAyakam. rAgA: nATa. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

shrI venkaTEsham. rAgA: kalyANavasanta. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar. I have listened to SKN Maharjapuram V. Santhanam .But it is often announced as MD composition.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

satyabalu wrote:shrI venkaTEsham. rAgA: kalyANavasanta. rUpaka tALA. Ambi Dikshitar. I have listened to SKN Maharjapuram V. Santhanam .But it is often announced as MD composition.
Long time back I think in sangeetham.com there was a discussion about this composition. DR Srikanth Murthy (DRS)said this composition is actually by JC WodeyAr. Keerthi or anyone else , can you confirm if this composition is by JC Wodeyar.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Ashoksubra in one of his reviws of vidushi Kanyakumari has this to say…” Kanyakumari played a questionable, Dikshitar Krithi “Sri Venkatesam' in Kalyana Vasantham. However, the fact that the charanam has the raga name embedded cleverly as done in most other Dikshitar Krithis (“Shri Bhudevi Sahitha Nitya Kalyaana Vasanthotsava Priyakaram”) and the madhyama kaala part at the end of charanam, do not make it a krithi by Dikshitar.
Though the ending “Shri Guruguhadhi Poojidhabjakaram Kaliyuga Prasannam” has the signature of Dikshitar, some old timers claim that this was cheap handy work of some clever composer to push his work as Diskhitar's composition.

Regardless, the krithi is a beautiful one and the kalpana swara exchanges were quite pleasing. The speed of rendering of this krithi was probably not suited to the meaning of the Krithi. Perhaps, the “Jarugandi” phrase at the Venkatesa Sannidhaanam in Thirupati, was ringing in the minds of the artist to do it as a hurried presentation!
Most Dikshitar krithis's are set in slow tempo, especially this one. Had somebody sung this Krithi in the speed it was played, the beauty of the composition would have been certainly lost.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Rajesh,

You've posed a tough question. As far as I know, there is only one composition of J.C.Wodeyar in kalyANavasanta - srIranganatham - composed on the deity at Biligiri rangana beTTA - now the site of a tiger reserve.

This one is also supposed to be his last composition. See here. I used to think that there are only the 94 compositions given by Vasudevacarya and tiTTE kRSNayyangar; and that there was no repetition of rAgas. So if we go by the idea that JCW composed a unique song in each rAga he handled, it is unlikely that SrivENkaTEsam is by him [although he has used the term guruguha in many of his songs]

However in the last couple of years, a few other kRtis have been unearthed; in the rAgas nAdabrahma, gItapriya (the vENkaTamakhin cognate of latAngi)and in sarasAngI. The last is surprising, since this seems to be a rAga in which he has two compositions.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Quite interesting.