Smt R Vedavalli, Raga Sudha Hall, 4/7/12 on my 60th Bday

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Nick H

Smt R Vedavalli, Raga Sudha Hall, 4/7/12 on my 60th Bday

Post by Nick H »

I am delighted to say that, with Jaya's kind help, and Smt Vedavalli's gracious acceptance, I will be sponsoring her concert at Raga Sudha Hall, next Wednesday, 4th July.

She will be accompanied by R. K. Shriramkumar, K. Arunprakash, and N. Guruprasad

All are Welcome

6.15pm, Raga Sudha Hall,
85/2, Luz Avenue,
Mylapore, Chennai 600 004

Last edited by Nick H on 27 Jun 2012, 23:37, edited 2 times in total.

thanjavooran

Re: Smt R Vedavalli, Raga Sudha Hall, 4/7/12 on my 60th Bday

Post by thanjavooran »

Mr Nick H,
Wishing you very many more happy returns.
With greetings in advance,

Thanjavooran 26 06 2012

mohan

Post by mohan »

Happy Birthday Nick! That's a wonderful way to celebrate - listening to one of your favourite 'old ladies'!

arunk

Post by arunk »

Happy Birthday Nick! As Mohan said, indeed a wonderful way to celebrate :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick, with many such happy returns of the day and years to come! A truly wonderful way to celebrate...

cienu

Post by cienu »

Nick. That is indeed a unique way to celebrate a birthday
Wish you a great musical evening, a wonderful birthday and many years of happiness and prosperity :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Is there a dress code? Veshti and Kurtha perhaps ;-)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick
Wow 60th birthday wishes.I hope you take steps to video graph the concert . Not that I am asking for it to be put here, but you will be happy to see that in your 80th birthday

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick, pirandha nAL vAzhthukkaL. Many happy returns.
Wish you a great year ahead filled with all your favourite music, beginning with this concert by Smt Vedavalli!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you all for your best wishes: it seems like a wonderful way to begin the next sixty years of my life :).
listening to one of your favourite 'old ladies'!
For those who do not know, and to avoid misunderstanding, this is my wife's term for my favourite, most serious and classical artists. Necessarily, this includes elders, but some of them are only in their twenties and thirties! :)
I hope you take steps to video graph the concert .
Oh, we had not thought of it. I fear it would strain the budget. If I can get a recording, though, it would be nice.
Is there a dress code? Veshti and Kurtha perhaps
Suresh, as a married man and respected member of the rasikas.org community, I think you should be expected to wear pancha kancham [sp?] 8)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Advance Birthday Greetings Nick. This can be a mid year Rasikas Meet.

ram

Post by ram »

Advance birthday wishes Nick! What a wonderful way to celebrate !!!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick H wrote:Suresh, as a married man and respected member of the rasikas.org community, I think you should be expected to wear pancha kancham
Suresh, it will truly be a 'kETTu vAngi kaTTiNDa pancakacam'! :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rshankar wrote: Suresh, it will truly be a 'kETTu vAngi kaTTiNDa pancakacam'! :)
Of course... Walked into it with full knowledge that it was a kuduthu sevandha kai :-)
Among the many things I do for the rasika community.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Happy birthday Nick. The concert idea is indeed awesome. All the best for a great concert and birthday celebrations!

Are there any CM compositions with Shastiapthapoorthi or even just birthday as the main or sub-them?

ram

Post by ram »

Nick,

Looks like its a double bonanza. Updated the Ragasudha Hall schedule a few minutes back (http://ramsabode.wordpress.com/concerts-in-chennai/) and found out that there are two concerts by Smt. R. Vedavalli in early July at the hall!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes! She is singing on both 2nd and 4th July... I hope we will all be there for both concerts :)

Sometimes we have to wait months, now we have two of her concerts in one week.

I have added the accompanists to the opening posts. Only now do I have the full list, and I am pleased to see that it is very much complete.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nicholas!
I was waiting for the first of July to come, to start a thread on the 4th of July--with sparklers, fire works and all, since it's a special Independence Day for us--your special birthday!
Just saw this thread, and so we join in with glee to wish you: a luminous (dIpAvali combined Fourth of July) celebrations on your 60th!

My! How young a birthday it sounds to some of us here!

Will miss being there on the auspicious day--in a nine yards sari? Hope you have a new six yards sari for S, along with the pancha kacham you bought for yourself ;) If not, go shopping--better still, take her with you so that she can pick the sari. She has such good taste ;)

Have a wonderful day, great music, a great year and many more glorious ones to come! Helath, happiness--R&K

Suresh,
dress code: vEshTi, kurtA AND shoulder bag...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sushi has over sixty saris, and I, the shopper, have even more vestis. I might go for silk, but not for all this back-and-forth-between-the-legs-stuff.

Age is so relative.

20-something friend of mine, "Vedavalli was quite old when she first came to London."

me, "She was the same age then as I am now ... so not so much of the 'old'!"

It's a shame you can't be here...

Many thanks to you, and to all well wishers.

At least, as of next week, I have an excuse to be doddery and forgetful--- but, I know, among the sharp-minded raskikas, and the fighting-fit musicians two decades ahead, It is excuse at all.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
While here in the US it's going to be a noisy celebration of the birth of a nation, your special day is going to be marked by a remarkable concert of antique value--a quiet affair, and on a week day too--which means some rasikas will be at work and are going to join you a bit late.
Hope the retirees and regular Raga Sudha rasikas come to wish you and listen to the treat you have arranged for.
Happy birthday again!

sreebeecane

Post by sreebeecane »

Nick, happy 60th birthday! Would there be a neetimati RTP for your birthday? ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

All content will be a surprise to be known on the night only :)

Thank you all for your best wishes.
Hope the retirees and regular Raga Sudha rasikas come to wish you and listen to the treat you have arranged for.
Indeed, the intention is for all to enjoy, and the importance is, as ever, the music, and not the man, who, having done a little work and provided some funds, then becomes an ordinary audience member again.

Fellow devotees will want to be at RS Hall tonight too, for it is a 2-concert Vedavalli week!

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Happy birthday, Nick! My best wishes for the evening. God bless you.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Nick, Wish U many more happy returns of the day.May U be surrounded by soulful music !

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Many Many Happy Returns , Nick.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you all.

Looking forward to this evening's concert :)

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Best wishes for a Happy 60th Birthday, Nick! May you celebrate many more with such beautiful musical concerts then as today! Whatever you wear- Veshti or pants, you are a true Indian at heart with carnatic music in your veins and that is more than enough. Like arasi pointed out, we are celebrating your 60th Birthday with a Big Bang of firecrackers all over the U.S.! I just saw the post about your birthday and so I am late. Enjoy your day with your favorite concert!
Last edited by maduraimini on 06 Jul 2012, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you all for your wishes.

The concert was absolutely wonderful. More about it now, on this thread.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Nick
Your gift is here . Though late .

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Nick- Belated Birthday Greetings !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am netless forseveral days apart from occasional fumblings on tablet or phone. Perhaps airtel decided i needed more time to digest the experience before returning to normal life.

The effect of the wonderful concert and the warmth of artists and rasikas endures...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Nick: As a Johnny-come-lately for everything in my life,let me offer my belated Congratulations on your 60th Birthday. Fortunately unlike some of us -- who have stopped celebrating birthdays because the Candles cost more than the cake and the local Fire Depts in my case have declared my house a fire hazard for such celebrations-- you are still young in mind and spirit.

Best wishes from your fellow rasikas-- I was in Chennai for 2 weeks--left on July 2nd--heard about the Vedavalli Concert but did not know that it was in your honor.

had a lovely flute-vocal session with fellow rasika Udayshankar and my cousin P.S.krishnamurthy--one of the Hindu reviewers during the Season--an impromptu session Too short a notice to let fellow chennaites rasikas know.

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
Good to hear from you! If you come to India this December, please let us know of any session you are planning on.
Love the humor about candles costing a pretty penny for the sheer number the like of us need--and for what purpose? To get to listen to the siren sounds of the fire trucks to celebrate? I had a sparkling special birthday myself (in India), thanks to K--he gave me a gift of a concert which was to me a Battery Park 4th of July display in winter!

Nick,
As for you, You got yourself a super classic gift!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

MKR-sir, thank you for your wishes. I would have loved to have heard your session with Uday and your cousin. I guess that the nature of impromptu contradicts announcement. You chose exactly the wrong date to leave, as we had two wonderful concerts from Smt Vedavalli, on 2nd ittself, and then, on my birthday, the 4th.

Arasi, I had forgotten that you, too, had a special concert as a birthday celebration. Let us indeed be trendsetters! What a way to go this is, compared to spending money on restaurants, jewels, silks. Can we say that jewels and silks are durables whereas music is lost in the wind? Not so fast! Even if I was never to get an audio recording of this program, the event is going to delight and affect me for a long, long time.

If I could afford it, I would do this regularly (I joked to Mrs H, we could have memorial concerts for our lost cats!) but I can't. Even if I could, I doubt that anything could be as special as this event. Most birthdays are over and forgotten the very next day: this one endures :)